- Joined
- Oct 7, 2020
- Messages
- 8
Rep Bank
$140
$140
User Power: 138%
Hello guys,
Can I ask you to share some of your thoughts - would highly appreciate it. Also, let me know if I can help you according to my living situation & experience that describe below,
1) I’m 32 years old, originally from Russia, a QE/Software engineer in test (working in internet technology - 6 figure FT job in Bay Area without overload that allows working from home for 5-6 hours per day and spend other time on development/business). I do understand web development code to some degree (mostly backend, but don’t have real-life experience with creating a web app).
I have some experience with businesses (Amazon FBA, recruiting software) that I can't say that they suceed, but I definitely learned something and got experience from it
A) I have some ideas for SaaS that need to be tested (soft/hard proofed) from blogs.
I'm not sure if it is better to buy and grow a business or build from scratch. In this case, I'll see 3 options:
- hire contractors to build software (then learn codebase to maintain). Do you know many people who have good experience with growing/maintaining a SaaS by using contractors
- find a technical co-founder (risk of dependence in the future, I don't have good friends who are interested in this opportunity)
- learn web development and build by myself (more time consuming).
I know that majority of bootstrappers/indie hackers are software engineers with 5 and more years of real experience. What are your thoughts on that - is it doable?
B) Another option I see is to buy (invest up to 40k) and grow business.
2) I have savings (60-70k) and was thinking to borrow from my relatives (up to 100k), take a mortgage and invest/rent out (with property management) multi-family or multi-complex units outside of CA. I was planning to invest 280-300k (20% payment) in real estate to have $2 mln net worth in 12-13 years, and pay out a mortgage with my business later (the worst case if the business won't suceed I'll have 5-6 k passive income when I'll be 44-45 years old)
Would you think it would be risky to recommend to build a business first and accelerate the growth of business with that money?
Thank you
Art
Can I ask you to share some of your thoughts - would highly appreciate it. Also, let me know if I can help you according to my living situation & experience that describe below,
1) I’m 32 years old, originally from Russia, a QE/Software engineer in test (working in internet technology - 6 figure FT job in Bay Area without overload that allows working from home for 5-6 hours per day and spend other time on development/business). I do understand web development code to some degree (mostly backend, but don’t have real-life experience with creating a web app).
I have some experience with businesses (Amazon FBA, recruiting software) that I can't say that they suceed, but I definitely learned something and got experience from it
A) I have some ideas for SaaS that need to be tested (soft/hard proofed) from blogs.
I'm not sure if it is better to buy and grow a business or build from scratch. In this case, I'll see 3 options:
- hire contractors to build software (then learn codebase to maintain). Do you know many people who have good experience with growing/maintaining a SaaS by using contractors
- find a technical co-founder (risk of dependence in the future, I don't have good friends who are interested in this opportunity)
- learn web development and build by myself (more time consuming).
I know that majority of bootstrappers/indie hackers are software engineers with 5 and more years of real experience. What are your thoughts on that - is it doable?
B) Another option I see is to buy (invest up to 40k) and grow business.
2) I have savings (60-70k) and was thinking to borrow from my relatives (up to 100k), take a mortgage and invest/rent out (with property management) multi-family or multi-complex units outside of CA. I was planning to invest 280-300k (20% payment) in real estate to have $2 mln net worth in 12-13 years, and pay out a mortgage with my business later (the worst case if the business won't suceed I'll have 5-6 k passive income when I'll be 44-45 years old)
Would you think it would be risky to recommend to build a business first and accelerate the growth of business with that money?
Thank you
Art
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
