The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Here to destroy all your preconceived notions about college

brambel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Mar 3, 2013
What do you guys think about going to college (i.e. beta studies like engineering/chemistry/astronomy etc.) to involve yourself deeply in technical innovations that will dominate the future (3d printing, asteroid mining, nano tech, gen tech) to create a startup afterwards with those innovations as centers? Wouldn't this be the future with the exponential technological developments?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Barry

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 27, 2011
Jamaica
Hell she even has a profitable business because she invented a leg band for women for personal storage when they go clubbing.

Pardon me digging this up but was she on Shark Tank? :confused: I watched a few re runs and saw this exact description of a product a girl came up with

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Nobody is becoming a Lawyer, Engineer, or Doctor without formal education.

Nobody should be forced to pay for an education to become a lawyer or engineer. The law and universal physics can fully be studied outside of an educational institution, and private discussion with real, experienced professionals in those fields can aid the way.

I attended college for mechanical engineering only to find out that my professor couldn't hold an engineering job in the real world so he went back to teaching. I was paying him $50 an hour along with 40 other students. Even though it was just an ME116 class, he taught all the way up to the 400's. I would have been better off devoting myself to self study and working my way through the ranks at an engineering firm learning on the job than sitting in a class learning from a sub-par engineering test taker.

As for Doctors... Why is it that nobody compares the education doctors receive to other fields? When I took a C# programming course at the University of Washington, my "teacher" began by proclaiming he only knows Java, so he will be learning C# along with us. To parallel that to taking a class on heart surgery, that would be like a having a lead surgeon teaching the class who proclaims he has only done surgery on the liver, and this will be his first time meddling with the heart as well. This scenario simply just doesn't happen in medical training. Heart surgery is taught by heart surgeons, people who have actually done it and have real experience.

Now, compare the real life experience of people teaching for the medical industry against those teaching for business, entrepreneurship, and engineering...

[video=youtube;gI6sARmxEuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI6sARmxEuc[/video]

D

DeletedUser394

As far as I know, there are some states where you can take the bar without going to law school. Hard as hell but some people have done it.

I don't care if my business associates or programmers have a degree(s) though.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

gazillionaire

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Feb 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Can't recall if I said it in this thread or not but I'll say it again:

In all the jobs I've held, not a single one of them mentioned college or schooling during the hiring process. Not a single one.

I even tried talking about it and proactively bringing it up in interviews (back when college was one of my biggest "assets" due to lack of employment history). Nobody cared. Nobody.

They would say "Oh, that's neat... ahem... now I see here that you worked for McDonald's a few years back, tell me about that".

They were literally more interested in my experiences in fast food than my college diploma. No talk of grades, courses, projects, books, or insights learned. Nope. All they cared about was how I handled a difficult situation with my peers while making burgers. Or how my previous boss thought of me. Or whether I worked for anyone who would give a reference. Or how much customer experience I had.

I can't express enough the feeling of egg on my face when I found out I got my first corporate job as a result of having worked in a call center almost 4 years prior. All I could think of was the $150,000ish I left on the table by being out of the job market for 3 years.

Not sure if this is relative to Canada, but I could similarly counter with anecdotal evidence, because that's what one person's individual experience is after all - anecdotal.

However, factually I can tell you absolutely in big city markets in the U.S., if you're trying to get a job (in IT, for example) that doesn't require customer service then the vast majority of these companies won't even consider you without a college degree. They'll even put it right there on the job listing as a requirement.

Bureaucratic organizations no longer accept people walking in off the street, agreeing to hire with a handshake. Its now large corporations that use bureaucratic tools to keep their clubs exclusive. They have you submit an application online, fill out absurd questionnaires, and then if you have a degree, maybe they'll interview you.

Think about it from their point of view, they now have hundreds of candidates with both education and experience, what reason would they have to hire someone without college? Sometimes their organizations have operating rules that doesn't even allow it, and all your complaints go to a "Contact Us" email that they're not obligated to respond to. They can just hide behind the wall of bureaucracy.

Arguing about the efficacy of college degrees is itself not seeing the forests for the trees; college educations are still clearly the great divider. College is just one path someone might choose to gain entrance to a very exclusive club that doesn't necessarily want new members, and some of which will use all of their power and influence to keep it that way.

I have two friends that both retired early, one had a Bachelor's and one has a Masters, who spent thriftily and invested in real estate. Now they live off of the monthly payments their properties bring in. If college helps you get to your goal (whether its comfortable or absurd wealth), then its irrational to be against it.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
What do you guys think about going to college (i.e. beta studies like engineering/chemistry/astronomy etc.) to involve yourself deeply in technical innovations that will dominate the future (3d printing, asteroid mining, nano tech, gen tech) to create a startup afterwards with those innovations as centers? Wouldn't this be the future with the exponential technological developments?

curious about this also

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.