The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Help Requested ] How do you go about marketing as a local business?

Marketing, social media, advertising

yyes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2017
Boise Idaho
Hey guys,
I am hoping I can get help from you guys here in the forum when it comes to marketing because frankly, I don't know how to.

Right now all our business comes from homeadvisor but theres got to be a better way.

We are a tree service company but suck at marketing.

Any ideas on how we can get this started?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yyes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2017
Boise Idaho
Hey @yyes,

what have you tried/thought of trying and what made you do so?

There are many ways you could market such a local business.
@Andy Black has a couple of threads about local lead gen with Google Ads.

Hi Fid.
I have tried so far to market via Craigslist, Nextdoor, and GMB. I have also tried Home Advisor and Thumbtack but these mediums get expensive for bad leads sometimes.

Dmorr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Dec 31, 2017
North Texas
For a local business you could build your website and optimize it for searches in your local area. Depending on your location and competition that could be very easy or very difficult or anywhere in between. Looking in Boise it seems that there is quit a few businesses in your niche. The websites don’t look that hard to outrank though. If your site was in top 3 in GMB and on first page of organic search it should generate you some traffic. Additionally, some Google and Facebook ads could speed this process.

Last edited:

yyes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2017
Boise Idaho
For a local business you could build your website and optimize it for searches in your local area. Depending on your location and competition that could be very easy or very difficult or anywhere in between. Looking in Boise it seems that there is quit a few businesses in your niche. The websites don’t look that hard to outrank though. If your site was in top 3 in GMB and on first page of organic search it should generate you some traffic. Additionally, some Google and Facebook ads could speed this process.

Do you do this type of stuff? It sound like you know your stuff?

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hey guys,
I am hoping I can get help from you guys here in the forum when it comes to marketing because frankly, I don't know how to.

Right now all our business comes from homeadvisor but theres got to be a better way.

I'm curious, what is a tree service company?

Dmorr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Dec 31, 2017
North Texas
Do you do this type of stuff? It sound like you know your stuff?
Yes I could help you. My email is dustym321@att.net. You could send me some information about your company and situation and I will see what we might could do.

Fid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 26, 2017
Wroclaw, Poland
Hi Fid.
I have tried so far to market via Craigslist, Nextdoor, and GMB. I have also tried Home Advisor and Thumbtack but these mediums get expensive for bad leads sometimes.

Mind posting a link to your website and GMB? I'd be able to give you some tips then.

Sounds like Craigslist/Nextdoor/GMB perform better for you than Home Advisor or Thumbtack.
What made you look for another solution?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
door flyers

flyers inside starbucks and coffee shops

newsletters

?email marketing?

partnerships with local companies

random ideas at the top of my head

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I've been helping local service businesses with marketing for a few years now and here are the steps I always take.
1. Fully filled out GMB listing with pictures and a visible address.
2. A website that shows the services you offer and in what locations that makes it easy to contact your company.
3. Fully filled out profiles on free directories like Yelp and Yellow pages.

With these three items set up, make sure you get as many 5 star reviews on your GMB as possible. You can ask friends and family to leave reviews that talk about your character and reliability. No need for them to make up bs. Just tell the truth. Get all happy customers to leave reviews moving forward.

Use some sort of CRM and look for ways to circle back around with customers. If you trim hedges, you know how fast they grow and can contact people when it's time to trim again.

Your website can be further built out with pages addressing specific services like tree/stump removal and tree planting. The pages should be based around things people type into Google.

Flyers and door to door marketing is great. You can go to neighborhoods you like and talk to people to let them know who you are. Mailing flyers is good too, especially during storm season or times your services are in higher demand.

With the basics in place you can advertise on Google and perform SEO rank organically.

If you pair great customer experience with a solid system for keeping in touch with past clients you will rely less and less on new leads and build an ecosystem of loyal customers.

There are a lot of more niche ways to scale this stuff up but this is a great place to start.

yyes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2017
Boise Idaho
Mind posting a link to your website and GMB? I'd be able to give you some tips then.

Sounds like Craigslist/Nextdoor/GMB perform better for you than Home Advisor or Thumbtack.
What made you look for another solution?

Craigslist and Nextdoor perform good for me in the basis of ROI but they still dont bring in as many leads as I would like. Home advisor would bring maybe 10-15 leads a week while Craigslist and Nextdoor bring in 1-2 a week. Also, I tend to think that Craigslist and Nextdoor attract Price shoppers.

Here is a link to GMB.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Craigslist and Nextdoor perform good for me in the basis of ROI but they still dont bring in as many leads as I would like. Home advisor would bring maybe 10-15 leads a week while Craigslist and Nextdoor bring in 1-2 a week. Also, I tend to think that Craigslist and Nextdoor attract Price shoppers.

Here is a link to GMB.

No website yet?

Also please claim your gmb and add your services, etc as @GoodluckChuck suggested.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house

Here is a link to GMB.

Just curious.

Of the leads you get from Homeadvisor:

1. How many do you talk to?
2. Of those, how many close?

yyes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2017
Boise Idaho
Just curious.

Of the leads you get from Homeadvisor:

1. How many do you talk to?
2. Of those, how many close?

Based off the numbers that I acquired from last year here is what I have.

Nextdoor- 5 Estimates- 1 Closed. (I started next door 2 months ago.)
Craigslist- 15 Estimates- 8Closed
Home Advisor- 43 Estimates- 7 closed.

stat1124

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 25, 2016
I am still working on my website and this is why I havent linked it to GMB.

its
mrchipp.com but again, i am working on it as we speak.
Good start to your website so far. Are you using Wordpress as the framework for it?

Melissa Tucker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Aug 17, 2019
Scottsdale, AZ
I agree with what the others have recommended! Google My Business/Google Maps is a big one!

...once you have your website up you can:

1) Compile a list of all your the questions you get asked on a regular basis. Then use each topic as its own blog post. If you can afford a local SEO company, they can help with setting you up otherwise - make sure the title of each post includes the question, have a picture or two that include that question in some way in title. Answer the question in as much detail as possible. This can help you get started on SEO. *Make sure you ask the hard questions like "how much does it cost to have my trees..." even if the answer is "it depends" and you give the details that go into your pricing.

2) Make sure your home page & header have a "request a quote" or "book your service" button with an option for people to go ahead and schedule service - or take the next step in the process.

3) Create a free FB page for your business. Install the FB pixel on your website. You can retarget people who have come to your website & are within x # of miles from your location with a coupon, information, request a quote, or something of value. You should be able to set this up for as little as $1 a day.

Another idea...are there any independent adjusters in your area? One of my clients is an independent adjuster, they review insurance claims and partner with roofers and others who do the repair work that they refer to them. There are probably other companies like that who are already out there, who would refer you business.

I'm not sure where you live. I live in AZ and I've always just hired the company that my landscaper recommends...or whoever knocks on the door when the palm trees need to be trimmed. Are you connected with landscapers?

Good luck!

samsig03

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Jun 8, 2016
Houston, TX
For a tree trimming business I would try partnering with a realtor. Reach out and see if that realtor has trees around their personal house that need trimming and do it free of charge. In return they can send you a leads/business. Realtors try to get houses looking their best and curb appeal is a HUGE part of it.

If you try any of these ideas out, let us know how it goes. I am curious myself.

greenr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
May 10, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
I have a local company that builds sheds, sort of like Tuff Shed, but more upscale. Our first year we got all of our business using Google Paid Ads, Craigslist and GMB listing.

Dianne Cohen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Sep 7, 2018
Hey guys,

The guy in our area does so much of his business just because he will go to all of the houses around the house he is presently working on and knock. "I'm in the neighborhood today and tomorrow and am giving a discount." It cost him less because he doesn't have to travel and I would say he ends up work until dark every time he does this. Make sense?

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Google ads
Google maps
Facebook page and ads
Flyers, get off your a$$ and hand them out.
Website can be easily built by using elementor and WordPress, check it out on YouTube

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Hey guys,

If your marketing skills aren't that great, outsource it to someone that knows what they are doing.

I've found Craigslist does not have many top tier clients, just ppl looking for rock bottom prices. It's an avenue that can be pursued, but it's not the first place I would go if my marketing dollars were tight.

Having a high ranking, highly reviewed company on Google though is another story. When someone types in tree service, be the first to pop up on Google ads, Google maps, and your website the first result under that, and watch the business come in.

Marketing is important, but networking is even more important.

I don't know where you are located, but if you get a lot of bad weather, I would be connecting with insurance companies to be on their vendor list.

I would make friends with fix and flippers, and get in with them. Be on a vendor list with realtors, property management companies, give them a piece for all the business they send you. Then the homeowners they connect you with can refer you to other homeowners.

JimBumgardner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Oct 1, 2019
Hey guys,

i would recommend some “give to get” tactics. Use your existing social streams to promote activities like the following: offer a local charity / animal shelter a free service you can comfortably afford to eat. They’ll be grateful and share your name on high. you can most likely get a tax deduction out of it as well

yyes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2017
Boise Idaho
If your marketing skills aren't that great, outsource it to someone that knows what they are doing.

I've found Craigslist does not have many top tier clients, just ppl looking for rock bottom prices. It's an avenue that can be pursued, but it's not the first place I would go if my marketing dollars were tight.

Having a high ranking, highly reviewed company on Google though is another story. When someone types in tree service, be the first to pop up on Google ads, Google maps, and your website the first result under that, and watch the business come in.

Marketing is important, but networking is even more important.

I don't know where you are located, but if you get a lot of bad weather, I would be connecting with insurance companies to be on their vendor list.

I would make friends with fix and flippers, and get in with them. Be on a vendor list with realtors, property management companies, give them a piece for all the business they send you. Then the homeowners they connect you with can refer you to other homeowners.

Thats something that I am definitely willing to do but ive been burned by a couple of folks that didnt really do a good job at it. So its hard to find someone like that. I wouldnt mind outsourcing at all.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Run local ads on Facebook: there's very little competition and its easy.

You need a great offer and a converting landing page. That's pretty much it.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Thats something that I am definitely willing to do but ive been burned by a couple of folks that didnt really do a good job at it. So its hard to find someone like that. I wouldnt mind outsourcing at all.

That will happen, but the more you get burned, the better your hiring process will become. Giving up because of a few bad eggs will only stunt your growth.

RobertKV

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Feb 16, 2020
Hey guys,
Looks like I am a little late, but anyhow, here is my opinion.
As a small business owner, I had some success in the past three years with Facebook Ads. What you need is a landing page, which can be one of the existing pages, but better yet, a fresh one well related to your ad. You can A/B test different versions, see the conversions, choose, improve, etc. And of course, never forget about retargeting previous visitors, because that is where true money comes from.
With Fb Ads you can very precisely target people, based on a number of factors like residence, age, family, etc. You can set or exclude postal codes, or just draw an x miles radius circle around your business location, and ads will appear only in the news feed of people complying with all of your criteria.
If you do it well, you won’t need to bother with any other form of marketing, for a while.
BTW, I like your website very much, nice design. I see you use the Astra theme just like I do on a new website. May I ask you, if yours is the free or the Pro version?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.