The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

HELP: I wrote lyrics to a country song

vermin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 18, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
HELP: I wrote lyrics to a country song and I have no clue how to get the song made or published

( without getting ripped off ). I have no music ( instrument ) ability. I do have an ear for songs and have a pretty good idea of the sound and melody of the song. I think the the song has potential and I feel some country band will record this song. I just need direction.

I am 56 years young and have been with my company for 30 years. I’m tired of the grind and I am getting close to leaving. Not a terrible job but it is the slow lane and sometimes has felt like a 30 yr. sentence.

I would love to be an entrepreneur but it has finally hit me that I am a wantrepreneur.

Now, I am ready to change that mindset and get into the Fastlane.

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ideasunlimited1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Mar 21, 2019
Houston
Go to Reddit or SA. Seriously. A lot of musicians hang out in those parts who are very talented, and there are threads where you can connect with those looking to collaborate and gain experience. That way you aren't paying someone to tackle it.

vermin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 18, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Go to Reddit or SA. Seriously. A lot of musicians hang out in those parts who are very talented, and there are threads where you can connect with those looking to collaborate and gain experience. That way you aren't paying someone to tackle it.

Thanks IU! I am thinking I need a co-writer you can record a demo. Maybe

vermin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 18, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA

IA. Forgot what is SA?

ideasunlimited1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Mar 21, 2019
Houston
IA. Forgot what is SA?

SomethingAwful.com, forum members there called Goons, are notorious for terrible comedy humor but also have a penchant for being very charitable and helpful to fellow members. One the fallen members of Benghazi was a member of the forum and we sent money to his family, and another time we supported the Matenwha (sp?) school, and one time we were able to get the guy from Smash Mouth and Guy Fieri to have an egg eating contest for cancer.

I guess what I am saying is that they are just the kind of crazy that you are looking for.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Technically (at least in UK), copyright exists at the moment of creation. Proving your copy right is another matter. In the US, I believe there is a form you can fill out and submit to register copyright of a song.

If you want to get the song made and you can't do it yourself, google local recording studios. Find one you like - most major cities have a recording studio of some sort. Talk to the studio owner - he will know some musicians you can hire to do the song.

Yeah you probably can find people to do it for free... but there is a real difference between working with pros and having people fit it in on the side.

It sounds more like you want to go into songwriting and having other people play your songs, and you collect the royalties. Good news is at the top, there is serious money, bad news is that at the bottom, songwriters with major labels, like musicians, sometimes work a side job in addition to their songwriting. Competition is pretty fierce.

As with everything, building a powerful personal network would be great. Do you know any country bands who would record your song? Are there some local bands you can work with as a songwriter? There are some pretty big social media stars in the country world, you could submit 3-4 songs to their management and have them record it, throw it up on streaming, and get a direct %% that way.

There is a songwriter called Jason Blume who does a lot of work with aspiring songwriters, on their songwriting and career side of things, so maybe check out some of his stuff.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I tried a website called songbay.co a while back. The website was okay although they need some serious overhauls to some systems. I never really got into lyric writing but it seems some people have sold lyrics there. The website connects songwriters and those who are looking to buy them or to hire someone to write something specifically for them. Might be worth a look. I think I paid $99 for a year of membership and they can verify copyright ownership according to the site.

Beyond that I'd be curious what unconventional methods someone might use to get their lyrics out there. Could a YouTube channel or blog work? An instagram account? How else can you connect with musicians who might want your songs? I'm just throwing ideas out. TBH I have no idea what the best approach is, but the Sam Russell above had some good ideas.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
You might want to read "The Song Machine: Inside the Hit Factory" by John Seabrook; it details how songwriters/producers essentially factory-ized songwriting--having lots of people producing lots of songs, then seeing what sticks.

On a related note (no pun intended), I've seen a similar theme across lots of industries & people who've become successful: they don't make just 1 song (or widget, etc.), but LOTS of songs/widgets. The more you produce, the better you get at it, and the higher your probability of one or more of them being a hit.

Within music, take the Beatles for example. Yes, they have lots of hits. But many of their songs weren't recorded, so their output is tremendous. Likely at least 1 song per week, over 8 years (https://www.quora.com/How-many-songs-did-The-Beatles-write). That's serious, sustained output.

Same with Thomas Edison (and his invention "machine"/organization), and lots of other people/organizations throughout history. Lots of output, which produced some duds but also some hits.

So, whether you're writing songs, ads, or apps, how can you increase your output? It's fundamental to increasing your probability of success.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Also, relying on 1 of anything is perlious--1 song, 1 client, 1 prospect, whatever. It creates a scarcity mindset.

Instead, what if you had 30, 50, or 100 songs/clients/prospects? Then, if you lose one, it's not a big deal--you've got a portfolio of opportunity in your quiver.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
Hola @vermin ! Music City USA resident here
The best analogy I've come up with for this:

You aren't a prospector, but you've come across a yellow shiny nugget.

A couple of assumptions you've made: 1) it's gold 2) it's enough to make you rich

You need to test those assumptions by taking the shiny rock to a geologist. He won't steal it from you, but he can tell you if what you've got is worth anything.

Along the way to the geologist, you're going to come across a bunch of people who will try to sell you shovels, pickaxes, and even offer to dig for you (but they'll want to be paid for digging, not for finding gold).
In my city, we have tons of songwriters that write album after album and play coffee-houses just to get noticed by a record company's A&R rep. We even have entire buildings of people that work for the record companies sitting in cubicles writing songs, and if they come out with 1 good one every 3 years, they more than earn their paycheck. The songs they've written belong entirely to the record company, but the writer has traded a lotto ticket for a regular paycheck.

Your initial question kinda sounds like when people say "I'm an ideas guy, not an execution guy."

That said, I definitely don't want to discourage you. Lightning may very well have struck (assumption #1 above), but a single song won't pay the bills for very long (assumption #2 above), you'll need to keep writing.

I say keep at it, but not because you think this is your one shot, but because you love writing songs. I can all but guarantee that you'll need to practice by writing hundreds more.

To test your assumptions, reach out to a local songwriter, find someone you can bounce your idea off of. I promise they won't steal it. You just need to find out if you have a talent worth pursuing. Heck, this person might be interested in helping you flesh it out! You'd need to give them a co-writer's credit, but if they are writing the music, they'd deserve it (this is equivalent to giving away equity in a business, but again if they are writing the music, they'd deserve it). If they do think it's good, they'll be able to help you with next steps.

Just to temper your hopes:
I'm all but certain this song won't make you rich. Especially if it's your first and only. That said, shop it around! You have absolutely nothing to lose by trying, and you might find your favorite new hobby.

PS:
If you want to do very basic protection of it, write down the lyrics, mail them to yourself in certified mail so it gets stamped with a date, then don't open the envelope. It's an old Nashville trick called a "Poor Man's Copyright" that people used a lot in the 70s-80s when country was exploding. It won't win you a huge royalty case in court if it is a hit, but it would deter someone from stealing your song, or win you a civil suit.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I would make sure you have it copy righted before doing anything with it so it's not stolen and protected. And having friends myself in the music industry, you really have to know someone who is in touch with the entertainment world and knows a lot of country bands. I would just find out in your local community who your top performers are in your state and go listen to them, have a few beers with them and show them your song.

Often, if they are a favorite in a state, they are on their way to touring around the country, and might welcome your lyrics. Usually they like to get to know you personally, hang out, and hear what you're about. Just the way I've seen it done in Michigan. lol We're part of the Music Industry. Usually bands start out underground at bars, local hang outs, and they usually have a manager doing the advertisement, networking, finding venues, and this what they do. They want to know who they're dealing with just like you do. They are like any other serious Entrepreneurs, they really don't like it when they invest in people who don't stick around long-term.

Most bands are Indie and independent to start with before they make it big. I was listening to Green Day in a Skate Park as a teen with just a crappy vinyl record if I remember right and Afghan Wigs. Eminem just rapped in Detroit in the ghetto before making it big. If you have the lyrics for a band to make it, they will grab it right away. And it's a two -way street. And like anything else you make sure you have a written contract, etc. if you intend to write lyrics long-term.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.