The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Wrote A Book About Self-Sabotage and I Think I'm On To Something....

For any book discussion

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I'm writing a book on how to arrest self-defeating behaviours (Shut up Colin, working title) and my reviews back from my editor and beta readers are pretty good so far. I did think I was onto something when I started but as usual I started to doubt myself. It's nice getting some validation, but even better getting good feedback. I try and skew all my feedback questions to the negative. Like everyone else I enjoy a good ego massage, but I prefer criticism that will make me better.

I'm in the second round of editing, but would love some more early and beta readers for the next version. If anyone is interested give me a shout.

Ed notes & reviews (Obviously there were some negatives I need to work on, but here are a few of the positives):

The book doesn’t just present a paradigm shift but does so in a unique and engaging fashion that can hardly be found in any book of its genre. It boasts an engaging writing style that simplifies complex concepts through the use of personal anecdotes, metaphors, and analogies, making it easily understandable to a broad audience.

SHUT UP COLIN is a unique self-help book that delves into the intricacies of the mind, introducing readers to an internal persona tagged Colin who pretty much represents the subconscious thoughts, and at large, the autonomous nervous system. Written by an insightful author, the book employs engaging narratives, practical exercises, and thought-provoking analogies to guide readers through the journey of understanding and mastering their emotional responses in their journey to overcoming self-sabotaging behaviours.

Engaging Style: The writing style, was conversational and thus making it easier for readers to stay tuned. The prolific use of analogies to simple complex scenarios is a core strength for this book as it is one the primary factors that helped solidify my understanding of the concepts discussed here. Also, the use of personal anecdotes and other storytelling techniques helped enhance the reader’s engagement.​

Practical Advice: I can’t help but appreciate how the author went into great depth to identify Colin's whims and tricks for specific instances and behaviour that would inadvertently pull a reader back to sabotaging behaviour. The book identifies key sabotaging behaviour and how Colin can in more than one way, keep an individual stuck in a self-sabotaging behaviour cycle while giving the impression that they are making progress or improving when the contrary is the case. The author didn’t stop there but tried in every instance to not just identify and analyze but also provide real-life practical advice to help overcome such situations.​

The book integrates insights from various fields, including psychology, neuroscience, and personal development, providing a holistic and in-depth view of self-sabotage and strategies for improvement.​

The author’s tone all through was emphatic and non-critical of any situation/category the reader may find themselves hence leading to an overall non-judgmental read.​

Not sure this was deliberate but I like how the book avoided being sexist. The pleasure-seeking-weaker form was tagged, Colin and in a masculine fashion rather than feminine and Megan, the stronger purpose-driven form was feminine. If it was the other way around it may easily have been termed sexist.​

Great analogies. They were effectively used throughout to bring Colin to bear and take the reader on a deep relatable introspection.​

Humor was infused throughout the book Which created a comfortable for readers to read through.

So yeah, if you're interested in being a beta reader - especially if you regularly engage in self-defeating behaviours - either reply here or shoot me a DM. Next and final(ish) draft ready in 3 weeks.

Or if you're interested in being a customer, hit me up and I'll send you links when it gets published. I'm thinking of doing some kind of Fastlane discount if there's enough interest.​

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Please only DM me for deets as I don't think I'm continuing my INSIDERS sub.

Thanks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.