The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help/Critique for Increasing Website Conversions

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
My website is pretty new, and I need some help with increasing my conversions.

Any book suggestions or sites that you like for learning how to make your website convert will be very useful.

My site is in my profile. Typically for Facebook Ads I get 4-5% click rate, but of that only about 1% actually buy. I think the most useful thing I can do for my business is to get this to be much higher.

I recently added testimonials to my homepage as well as made it more clear about what makes my shop different than others. I expect this to help my conversion rate but I have not started advertising again quite yet so I do not know for sure.

I also know that some of my product listings are a little lacking compared to my main products(spheres), I intend on making these pages and collection better, but I do not think this is more useful than optimizing the site for conversions in general.

I'm not sure if anything stands out to you in terms of what can be changed to make my shop's website convert better, but any feedback or advice is appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
For some of them yes, for others they link to a collection.

Last night I considered making a separate landing page for ads based around collections to feed to. If someone goes directly to a collection they don't see my homepage and don't know about some of the things that makes my shop different.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
My website is pretty new, and I need some help with increasing my conversions.

The site is nice and clean, I might choose to change the language on the "shop crystals" to "Discover More".

Check the speed of the site on mobiles, it could simply be that you're losing out because of that, I noticed a couple of places it was slow, and you have a lot of images on there.

I recently added testimonials to my homepage as well as made it more clear about what makes my shop different than others. I expect this to help my conversion rate but I have not started advertising again quite yet so I do not know for sure.

These are too low and below the fold. You can leave them there, but you should link to them via button on your home page.

Also below the fold, which you need to shout about a bit more, is the fact that all your crystals are ethically sourced. This needs to be made more obvious.

Again, the largest collections of spheres anywhere! The only reason I saw this claim is because I'm doing a critique for you. So have that info above the fold.

I also know that some of my product listings are a little lacking compared to my main products(spheres), I intend on making these pages and collection better, but I do not think this is more useful than optimizing the site for conversions in general.

A little lacking is exactly how I would have put it, because I wouldn't want to hurt your feelings by saying they're awful. However I'm sure you care more about conversions and profits than feelings. You really need to get a writer who can speak the language of your customers.

At the moment your listings sound really corporate and they are littered with grammatical errors. Crystals aren't my bag, however I know people who are into them, and the way they speak about them does not sound like the way you describe them.

You're closer when you start talking about the energies, however there's still something lacking. Don't be ashamed to work to your strengths, and hire someone to really do your crystals justice.

Is your homepage also the landing page for your Facebook ads?

You answered that sometimes it is. Make sure that your ads match your landing page, if you're selling "spherical green crystal", then make that the landing page.

All in all, it's a professional looking site, just a few tweaks and it will be the complete package I reckon.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
@Roli Thank you, this is quite valuable feedback.

I do like 'Discover More' and will verify the site's load times on mobile.

I will make changes regarding things that are below the fold but shouldn't be.

A little lacking is exactly how I would have put it, because I wouldn't want to hurt your feelings by saying they're awful. However I'm sure you care more about conversions and profits than feelings. You really need to get a writer who can speak the language of your customers.

At the moment your listings sound really corporate and they are littered with grammatical errors. Crystals aren't my bag, however I know people who are into them, and the way they speak about them does not sound like the way you describe them.

You're closer when you start talking about the energies, however there's still something lacking. Don't be ashamed to work to your strengths, and hire someone to really do your crystals justice.

You won't hurt my feelings don't worry lol. Are they actually awful? Or just bad? Or okay?

Does it come off as too clinical? I'm unclear by what you mean by it sounding corporate really.

I can't tell if having bullet points is better, or if I should just make short paragraphs. I attempted to simplify my language quite a bit, but perhaps I'm not being expressive enough as well.

However I will look into hiring someone as well and continue learning about writing copy as I go too.

I will make sure ads link to where is expected as well. Although I'm unsure of how to make the important information about the shop known that are only shown on the home page and not collections pages or product listings?

mikodigital

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jun 19, 2019
France
one thing that can help is a faster website. 2,3 sec is a good smartphone score on google test my site .
could be even better but can you control any of this with shopify? maybe you can ask support about that?
i would test a separate landing page for your ads? maybe try a wordpress with this: GeneratePress - Lightweight, Responsive WordPress Theme
very fast! ( i spent the day testing speed on 6 different wordpress themes/frameworks)

otherwise this is an article that seems helpful on shopify website

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2019-06-27 à 18.05.48.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-06-27 à 18.05.48.png
    147.9 KB · Views: 0

Boychamp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 13, 2019
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
For some of them yes, for others they link to a collection.

Last night I considered making a separate landing page for ads based around collections to feed to. If someone goes directly to a collection they don't see my homepage and don't know about some of the things that makes my shop different.

So one of my suggestions would be to send people STRAIGHT to product pages. In most situations, this will seriously increase your conversions. You're going to lose a lot of people by sending them to the homepage and then expecting them to find what they're looking for. Or even collection pages. If you want to show your range of products rather than only advertising specific products, you can set up catalogues in Facebook and then use those in either Catalog Sales campaigns or Conversion Campaigns (test to figure out what works better for you) and select the catalogues you want to use at the Ad level. The benefit here is they see multiple items but when they click on one, it takes them DIRECTLY to the corresponding product page.

Now you're saying you want people to see your homepage because of the information on it. Add it into your product pages. Or create a tab that talks about your company that shows up on every product page. Alternatively, you can easily create ads (video views, awareness, etc - test what works) that delve into your brand and the benefits of buying through you. Then, simply retarget people that watch a certain percentage of those videos, engage with your post, etc with specific products or product catalogues.

I hope this makes sense, you said you've been advertising on FB so I didn't go into a lot of detail on the terms or things I'm saying.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
@Roli Thank you, this is quite valuable feedback.

You're very welcome. :cool:

You won't hurt my feelings don't worry lol. Are they actually awful? Or just bad? Or okay?

Haha, I'm glad you have a thick skin... Some of them are awful, more bad and a few okay. This is what I mean:

Physical Properties

• Beige colored crystal with dark brown lines running through it.
  • Reminds you of a reptile's egg.
  • Traveled across the world from Madagascar.
  • Please note that septarian commonly contains holes in its polished forms.
Energy Properties

• Septarian has a strong grounding energy.
  • Activates the root, solar plexus, and crown chakras.
  • Grounding abilities that remove negative energies including emotions, thoughts, and feelings.
  • Connects you deep with the earth.
  • Protective energy that helps shield you from negativity and those that may wish you ill or harm.
  • Amplifies your ability to connect with your higher self and the divine.

could be turned into:

A beautiful beige crystal with deep chocolate brown lines filigreed across it surface. A smooth tactile surface, pockmarked with tiny imperfections acquired from millions of years of pressure, passing on to you the magnitude of age and wisdom.

As you run your fingers over this ancient septarian sphere, feel its grounding energy pulsating through your body and invigorating your higher self as you connect to the earth through its ancient beauty.

----

Now I'm not saying that's perfect above, I've just spent less than 2 minutes thinking about it. However the tone is a lot closer to what you want.

Put it this way, the small paragraph you have on the quick view feels nicer, and entices me to read more, yet when I click through the vibe is different.

Does it come off as too clinical? I'm unclear by what you mean by it sounding corporate really.
I can't tell if having bullet points is better, or if I should just make short paragraphs. I attempted to simplify my language quite a bit, but perhaps I'm not being expressive enough as well.

Yes I think it's the bullet points that makes it seem corporate or clinical. Also yes, as mentioned above, I think you need to be expressive, you've been too simple. After all, when you hear someone talking about crystals who is into them, they speak freely and enthusiastically about them. You need to match that.

However I will look into hiring someone as well and continue learning about writing copy as I go too.

Please do, shop around so you get someone who is good and value for money. It may end up being a good exercise for you because you can see how she/he does it and maybe recreate it yourself. Or just show you that you should concentrate on other parts of the biz and let others do what they do best.

Oh and just as an aside, because I'm browsing your site now. At the bottom of the products page you have a browse more products button.

Your site is pretty big and has lots of products, so perhaps this can be categorised like "browse more spheres" or "browse categories" something that makes me feel I'm being a bit more targeted, rather than just viewing everything.

Also is it worth having a browse by price category? I don't know your audience, however I see you have stuff for as little as $29.99 and as much as $172.00, so maybe some of your audience would appreciate that? Dunno, maybe test.

Also do you have that $1000 crystal that 1% of your audience will buy? If not, get it. I don't know if you've read Perry Marshall's 80/20 (if not it's an excellent read), however in that he explains why Starbucks have a $15,000 and $30,000 coffee machines. Because they understand 80/20 and know that 1% of their customers will just buy everything they can from them regardless of price, so best to cater for that lucrative single percent.

Do you ship internationally by the way? May have some friends who'd be into your crystals. I'm in the UK.

Feel free to ask more by the way, you have a good site and I don't mind browsing it :cool:

Oh and lastly, the advice above from @mikodigital is excellent!

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
@Roli Thank you, once more for looking into the site even more indepth.

I understand and see exactly what you're saying. Just reading my description compared to your description, yours makes me want to buy more and feels better. :oops:

I will get to rewriting my listings!

I have considered a Browse by Price option, it does seem potentially useful. I do think many will buy whatever they can find within their budget.

I used to have a crystal listed for $600. I dropped the price down a lot however. It's nearly a 20lb amethyst cluster that's cut to stand up.

I absolutely love Perry Marshall's 80/20, it changed how I viewed the world. I will look into finding some items that are super expensive for the 1% and beyond to sink their teeth into.

I do ship internationally! Although I have not yet advertised internationally. If one of your friends are interested, DM me and I will provide a discount code :smile2:

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
one thing that can help is a faster website. 2,3 sec is a good smartphone score on google test my site .
could be even better but can you control any of this with shopify? maybe you can ask support about that?
i would test a separate landing page for your ads? maybe try a wordpress with this: GeneratePress - Lightweight, Responsive WordPress Theme
very fast! ( i spent the day testing speed on 6 different wordpress themes/frameworks)

otherwise this is an article that seems helpful on shopify website

Shopify does not let you control this too much. Generally, the more addons that the site has the slower it will load.

I appreciate the link to GeneratePress, looks useful. I think having a wordpress landing page may be doable that then links to the rest of my shop, but I am not sure to be honest. The beauty of shopify is that you can get up and running very quickly and it's easy to design things, but it's rather rigid as well unless you know their coding framework.

I will check out the link as well, thank you!

So one of my suggestions would be to send people STRAIGHT to product pages. In most situations, this will seriously increase your conversions. You're going to lose a lot of people by sending them to the homepage and then expecting them to find what they're looking for. Or even collection pages. If you want to show your range of products rather than only advertising specific products, you can set up catalogues in Facebook and then use those in either Catalog Sales campaigns or Conversion Campaigns (test to figure out what works better for you) and select the catalogues you want to use at the Ad level. The benefit here is they see multiple items but when they click on one, it takes them DIRECTLY to the corresponding product page.

Now you're saying you want people to see your homepage because of the information on it. Add it into your product pages. Or create a tab that talks about your company that shows up on every product page. Alternatively, you can easily create ads (video views, awareness, etc - test what works) that delve into your brand and the benefits of buying through you. Then, simply retarget people that watch a certain percentage of those videos, engage with your post, etc with specific products or product catalogues.

I hope this makes sense, you said you've been advertising on FB so I didn't go into a lot of detail on the terms or things I'm saying.

Thank you, this is quite useful.

I have not looked into setting up catalogues on Facebook too much. I was unaware that you can do a Catalog Sales campaign, that sounds really useful! That's essentially what I'm trying to do it seems like but make them go to the general collection page instead of the item itself.

Sounds like I will likely need to do some testing about adding more info to my product pages about the company itself, either in the listing or a tab. I have considered video ads as well but have not tried this out yet, it does seem useful and with potential. Many of these crystals are much better captured in motion than with pictures.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.