The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello - I'm over 50, still learning, still changing

Ron

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
May 22, 2013
I am 53 years old and in transition, recently fired from a toxic corporate job. I've lived in the slow lane, and as I read the book I am rethinking my assumptions, knowing what I've done did not work in so many ways; now I know why. I am living proof that the slow lane leads to a dead end.

10 years ago I lived in a 4,000 square-foot home in a “nice†upper middle class neighborhood. My family was busy and seemed happy. I made enough money for my then wife to stay home, even able to build savings and a retirement fund.

Then 7 years ago it all started to crumble. The company I worked for lost many of its clients. I spent the next year “consulting†and bringing home only ¼ of the money I had been making the prior years. We had to tap into savings to keep up the lifestyle – 4 children from college aged to elementary school. The mortgage, the credit cards, the nice van, and all the other expenses that then seemed necessary. I cringe now to think that during that time I paid a car loan of $542/month! Yet instead of stopping, hunkering down, selling the too-large house, and otherwise facing reality, I played the optimist. Kept paying the car payment, the $1,700 mortgage, the $300/month life insurance, etc. with little income.

I just knew I would find another job paying as much as before. I justified maintaining the lifestyle “for the children.†I once again turned away from my nagging desire to start my own business.

A few months after losing my job, my wife told me she was in love with someone else; a woman. This reality led to another string of bad decisions. She insisted on staying in the house we couldn’t afford with me. Again, for the sake of the children. The whole thing pulled me down, yet eventually I landed a new corporate job, albeit at a 20% reduced salary from before. Eventually we divorced, but the sale of the house moved very slow in a depressed market. By the time it sold, I had not only drained all savings and the retirement fund, but also racked up so much debt with the IRS and credit card companies that every penny of my proceeds went to pay them off.

I think the 401(k) is at its core a scam. While I suppose there is theoretical benefit in the tax-free contributions, when I had to pull that money out early to live, I paid not only income taxes on it but also penalties. And when I couldn't pay the huge tax bill that resulted, I was again penalized with interest. So for every dollar I took out, I paid 40-45 cents on top of that in penalties, taxes, and interest. Even though it was MY money! Yet as MJ writes - it was MY fault for putting myself in the situation to have to pull that money.

There was no longer any wiggle room financially. And no family to bail me out either.

I became a renter and a nomad, moving every year for the past four years. But I also found a wonderful woman who became my new wife; she taught me and reminds me every day that money can’t buy what we have in our relationship – unwavering support, unbridled listening, patience, acceptance of our quirks, and ongoing attraction. She’s my anchor in the stormy seas of life.

The new job changed after about a year and became toxic. After almost 5 years, I was fired in February after a 60-day “warning†otherwise known as a "performance improvement plan". While I tried my hardest, it was one of those situations in which the outcome was out of my control. For whatever reason, those who controlled my destiny at the company decided I needed to be out of there. And so it was.

So here I am. A “professional†in the eyes of the working world. I'm doing what all the career advisers say - networking my a$$ off. So that I can go work for another company.

Yet I have this itch. And it's not just because I'm tired of working for others for the last 30+ years. It's because I know in my gut that I can do more than be someone's employee. That I can have a larger positive affect on lots of people. I'm not sure yet what or how, but I am constantly thinking.

My life lesson is to assume nothing about life. Don't assume that your income stream today will be the same tomorrow. Don't assume that a relationship that is working today will work tomorrow just because you've been together a long time. Don't take your family members for granted. And certainly don't assume you are somehow invincible. Live smart, treat people right, and take care of yourself first. And if you have a few years behind you as I do, learn from your mistakes. It's never too late to change.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Welcome to the fastlane Ron, from one more experienced individual to another.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Welcome Ron. You will find a ton of information here. I also recommend you look over James Altucher's blog as well.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Welcome to the forum Ron.
Remember, the Colonel didn't start his "finger licken good!" business until well past 60, so your not too late.
May I suggest forgetting about what the career advisers say and follow your gut.

Perhaps find a job a bit more menial to pay the bills but keeps you hungry to try your hand at creating something on your own.

Dare to Dream.

Dare to Try

Dare to Fail

then... Dare to Succeed.

Good luck, hope to hear more...

Randall

Barry

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 27, 2011
Jamaica
Wow you've been through it! There are allot of valuable information here to help curb you're thinking and make the leap always remember Change can happen in an Instant

Welcome to the forum!

Barry

D

DeletedUser2

For whatever reason, those who controlled my destiny at the company decided I needed to be out of there. And so it was.

Best wake up call!

Great Job Graduating from the Masses.

Herein lies a forum full of wisdom, and cool a$$ people, who kinda like to help.

Use that.

Launch.

Good Luck
We will be watching

Z

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Awesome intro Ron, thank you for sharing. Welcome to our little corner of the world.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Nice and thought-provoking first post (could be made part of the Slowlane section of MJ's book if he ever wants to do an edited version of it) - welcome in, Ron! Like zen******* pointed out - you have come to the right place here.

This is possibly the best forum environment on earth for those who want to strive, thrive, and step up in life.
Grab an idea and go for it!

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
This is possibly the best forum environment on earth for those who want to strive, thrive, and step up in life.

This is well said. And it's true.

Welcome, Ron!

UniversalMind

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 24, 2011
United States
Excellent post Ron. I'm recently a slow laner myself. Been coming on these boards for a few months now, and it's never too late to start. There is a wealth of information on here , shared by pros for guys like us. May I suggest reading MJ's book if you get a chance. It's an eye opener. Welcome to the club.

TurboTT

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
May 22, 2013
Hi Ron,

Im new here, but wanted to say I been down the same road. Your 100% on the 401k, what a joke. I learned the hard way that buy and hold was nothing more than a gimmick and that mutual funds were a horrible investment in the long run.

I hope for you the best sir, stay strong and keep on moving forward.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Welcome Ron.

I'm sure you have many abilities that can take you where ever you want to go.

Awesome introduction, nothing more compelling than a humble and honest man.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am with you.

In the peak of my stupidity, my car payment(s) were $2,000/mo.

I assumed my income stream would always be the same.

It wasn't.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I found this sentence to be chilling :

"those who controlled my destiny..."

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Great first post Sir. You definitely fell into the right place. This is the absolute best place I've found. You're gunna like it here.

I'm 50 yrs old and have many of the same point of views as you. Read that book, highlight, take notes, and most of all PRACTICE what MJ preaches ! Practice looking for problems..great examples in the book.

Two days after finishing the book I found a problem and I've been working on fixing it. It's funny...I work 40 hours a week, I workout 4-6 days/wk, I work on my business before, during, and after work, I'm happily married,....and I'm lovin' it ! I get tired but it's a 'good' tired because I'm doing something on my own. I think it will help businesses and individuals, and they will pay me well for helping them. And if I fall on my a$$....I'm ok with that...It's on MY shoulders..not some dumb a$$ suit that made bad decisions that buried the company I worked for, putting me in the unemployment line.

What I really like about being 50 is I feel the clock is REALLY ticking fast. No time to waste. So Rock and Roll brother !

djrobinson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 27, 2012
Oklahoma
Welcome Ron,
I too am one of the older crowd (47) and new here as well...well, I should say that I don't post much. There's a lot of info to absorb here, but IMHO, MJ's book is really all the info you may need to get going as long as you put in the effort. :)

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
My life lesson is to assume nothing about life.
Wow, pretty eye opening story man. Thanks for sharing that. Welcome and best of luck to you.

SeanyHang

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
May 24, 2013
New Jersey
Hey Ron!

Awesome introductory post! What happened to you (with losing your career) happened to my dad as well (twice). One of the reasons why I'm so dead-set on being a successful entrepreneur is because of horror-story situations like that. Let me just say that as a person who feels like there at a cross roads between entering the workforce and becoming a 9-5er or starting something of my own, your words are an inspiration.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...