The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have you had your "FTE"? (Or Was it an FTM?!)

Oilman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
May 1, 2019
@Mikkel linked me to this. Just took a brief look at this. Here's mine:

Worked at current place for nearly a year. Did all kinds of stuff like show up on time, don't talk back, help out with other stations.

Last weekend was the death blow. Manager was disrespectful, on top of doing illegal activity that I don't think will be appropriate to discuss on a public forum. Today I had a chat with an older coworker, told him about said illegal activity.

Interesting nomenclature "FTE".

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Oilman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
May 1, 2019
I came back from a deployment to Iraq in 2016. I went back to my engineering job. It was my third deployment but things seemed very different. My job never excited me but the lack of passion I had for it bothered me. It was like I needed to keep my adrenaline up but there was nothing to replace it. I went to business school (for free) to switch it up but after finishing my program, I just became a consultant working for a firm where the majority of the consultants didn't have business degrees.

The FTE happened on my second project where my project manager gave me the old "put these binders together" tasks. I heard a similar story from other people so I know that this has got to be some type of kiss the initiation milestone. Like they really want see if they have your nuts. I went from working on engineering projects to a "top 10" business program, all to have some clown tell me to put binders together. I started resignation letter that day but didn't send it in until 2019. I didn't have an exit plan I just new that this wasn't it.

Now I am taking my licks and figuring out how to be an entrepreneur. The hard lessons keep coming but there is something about feeling like control that gives me that adrenaline spike that I have been missing since 2016. I love helping people but God help me to not run out of money before I figure this out.
First of all thank you for your service.

Second of all, I'm just posting this on limited time so bear with me. I wish you the best of your luck. All my life I've had mostly predatory jobs, we're talking about changing starting pay, not promising raises, etc.

I don't know how else I can make this more eloquent besides best wishes.

futurePorscheDr

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jul 6, 2022
Worked at big consultancy firm and mainly worked in a particular industry. Came up with a great (software) product that we could build and sell across our clients. I set-up an offshore development team, created the product and organised a number of demo sessions. We went on and sold it to a number of clients.

This resulted into 6-figure revenues for our firm. They've further built out this IP and have gone on to make even more revenue.

My boss took all the credit.
I received an amazon gift voucher.

omg, when you said you came up with the product, I thought you quit and developed the product for yourself.

It's absolutely true, every level of boss will want to take credit, like a F*cking flock of different kinds and different size of vultures. Then don't want to give anything to the guy on the bottom who actually made it happen, and then they wonder why employees are doing the bare minimum.

futurePorscheDr

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jul 6, 2022
The next day comes and I'm really sick now. At 4:30pm my boss sends me an email asking me to write her an overview of what was discussed the day before at the budget marathon meeting because she wasn't involved. She also wanted an update to a spreadsheet and she needed it by 7pm because she had a call with our London office where it would be discussed.

I turned off my phone, ignored her email and just slept.

I went back to work the next week and my boss had flown in from Melbourne to Sydney for some meetings and she sent me a text on her way in from the airport that she'd had a cancellation for her 9:30am meeting and did I want to catch up.

She rolls up to the meeting room a few minutes late and the first thing she said to me was, "I was pretty disappointed you didn't reply to my email last Thursday, I know you were sick and on holidays, but I really needed that info for my meeting."

This was my FTE.

I picked up my notepad and pen, told her it had been a pleasure, walked back to my desk, packed up a few of my things and left. My staff just looked at me a bit confused as I gathered a few personal effects and told my secretary that she could send me the rest next week.

I was in an Uber on the way home and my phone rings, it's my now ex-Boss, "Where did you go?"

It's almost comical, they think b/c they're the boss, they can do absolutely nothing, claim credit for everything, then express no gratitude, instead express "disappointment", then demand more.

in so many ways, employment is too close to slavery for comfort.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
My latest "FTE" story is rising cost of living. The rents in my city (Atlanta) have almost doubled in the past 1.5-2 years. I have lived in the same apartment since 2016. The rent in 2019 was 900 and now it's 1700 minimum.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.