The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
I know a few people living in both Dublin and Marbella. The flights are usually super cheap and it's only about a 3 hour trip. They go back and forth as it suits. Business commitments, weather etc

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I know a few people living in both Dublin and Marbella. The flights are usually super cheap and it's only about a 3 hour trip. They go back and forth as it suits. Business commitments, weather etc

Few combinations in Europe are better than spring and summer in a more temperate greener climate and fall and winter in southern Spain. You get the best of both worlds (though southern Spain is a little too cold for me in the winter and you can't swim without a wetsuit).

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Since this thread is active again, I wanted to add some thoughts after this year of my travels:

1. Climate is important but make sure the place where you want to move fits your other values

If you're currently stuck in a nice place like @Paul David's brilliantly sunny UK you may think that anything is better than that.

And while at first it may feel super nice to be in a place with sun and warm weather, if you find the place boring, if the locals are unfriendly, if you can't engage in your hobbies, if there's terrible air pollution, if there's no good food available, or if the infrastructure or safety sucks, it doesn't matter.

You want the place to reflect your values. If you like being surrounded by fit people, you won't feel good living on a small island in Oceania with some of the highest rates of obesity. If you like reliability, you won't feel good living in a chaotic country where nothing works.

Your life won't be better if you sacrifice civilization for great weather. You won't care about sunny weather if you worry about getting mugged the second you step outside or if you can only eat highly-processed imported crap. This brings me to my second point...

2. There aren't that many nice warm and sunny places in the world

If you remove the poorest countries, most options will already go away. If you remove crime-ridden countries or unstable countries, another quarter goes away. If you remove places with bad infrastructure, another quarter goes away. Eventually you end up with relatively few options, assuming you want to thrive in that new place and have an enjoyable, modern life.

From my research (I may miss some countries as I'm super tired after a long flight and a terrible night of sleep), these are the best options that could be livable for most people. They:
  • are foreigner-friendly (or potentially adaptable),
  • safe or relatively safe, without lots of crime for the standards of a given region,
  • have warm weather (never lower on average than 15 degrees Celsius during the day in the coldest month)
  • sunny (most tropical destinations aren't sunny so I excluded them),
  • aren't tiny countries where you'd go crazy after a week.
Asia (including Middle East):
  • Cyprus,
  • Malaysia,
  • Oman,
  • Qatar,
  • Thailand,
  • Turkey,
  • United Arab Emirates.
Africa:
  • Mauritius,
  • Morocco.
Europe:
  • Greece,
  • Italy,
  • Portugal,
  • Spain.
North America:
  • Barbados,
  • Guadeloupe,
  • Martinique,
  • Mexico,
  • United States.
South America:
  • Argentina,
  • Chile,
  • Uruguay.
Oceania:
  • Australia,
  • French Polynesia,
  • New Zealand.
So this is not much, just 24 countries and you could remove at least a half of them to pick the best of the best.

3. Islands are tough to live on

Islands, even larger islands, are tough to live on.

There's a specific mentality most islanders have that is extremely tiring after a while if you aren't an islander yourself. This applies even to islands belonging to larger countries. For example, the culture in the Canary Islands is VERY different compared to the culture of mainland Spain. You can count on people much more in mainland Spain compared to people living in the Canary Islands.

Once you explore the entire island, it may feel small and claustrophobic. Island fever attacks many people, even including people who have lived on an island for a long time.

Add to that complete dependence on airlines (you can't drive out of the island) and difficulty getting stuff you need quickly and it can get super frustrating.

4. You don't want a climate that's too hot

Even though I included some hot countries before (like the UAE), I generally recommend against any place that features hot weather.

If you live in a cold climate, you may want the hottest climate possible. But in many ways, a super hot climate (particularly if it's humid) is way worse than a temperate climate.

I'm currently in the Caribbean and the island where I'm at now already has a feels like index of 38 degrees Celsius / 100 degrees Fahrenheit at 8 am, 1.5 hours after sunrise.

During the day, it goes up to 42 degrees Celsius / 108 degrees Fahrenheit. It's so hot that you don't want to do anything. It's hard to focus on work. It's too hot to exercise, unless you practice water sports. You're constantly trying to cool off.

At night, it can still be 30 degrees Celsius / 86 degrees Fahrenheit. You can't sleep well unless you use AC (I don't as dryness kills my skin, eyes and throat) or (often loud) fans or your bedroom has a nice draft.

Of course, there are moments when it feels great (early morning) but overall, you're very limited because of the heat. And I'm saying it as a person who hates cold weather. I love warm weather but hot, humid weather is something else. If you've never experienced it, it's good to experience it to understand that you don't want hot weather but warm or maybe even "mild" weather.

5. Developing countries are overrated

Many digital nomads go to developing countries because these are the only countries they can afford. While some people genuinely enjoy these places, from my experience you usually get what you pay for.

Infrastructure, safety standards, income inequality, environment issues, etc. can be extremely frustrating to deal with. If you aren't bothered by seeing piles of trash everywhere, ever-present noise, daily smog, or beggars and sketchy people then maybe this won't concern you.

I feel way better in rich, prosperous places. I like clean, quiet, well-managed places. This usually means more regulation in some areas but in exchange you don't breathe toxic air, don't see piles of trash, don't hear F*cking roosters crowing everywhere, can drive on high-quality roads and can count on emergency services, hospitals, etc.

Out of all the countries I've visited, Australia is by far the best in this aspect. New Zealand is also good. In Europe, Spain is best, particularly in areas/cities/towns popular with expats like Costa del Sol.

6. If you can afford it, try it

If you have money and your lifestyle allows it, don't procrastinate. It takes only a few weeks to discover how you feel living in another place. Rent a local place, not a hotel, and try to live your life as you do back home (go shopping, exercise, meet with people, engage in your hobbies, etc.).

You're never going to regret the experience, even if you end up going back home. But if it works well, you may be extremely surprised how much better you feel somewhere else.

When I'm in a place that fits my values, I feel way, way, better. On the other hand, if I'm in a place that I don't like, I lose the willingness to live. The environment has a huge impact on how I feel. If you've been following this thread, you're probably wired like that, too.

So if you can, take that step and go abroad. In many cases (UK to Spain, US/Canada to Mexico, New Zealand to Australia) it's not even that expensive to go for a trial run on a tourist visa.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Well I've finally moved to the Algarve, Portugal for now.

It's rained one day in the whole month. Blue skies, warm days, cold nights.

The thoughts of ever going back to Ireland would kill me. Can't believe I lived that life so long when I knew it wasn't for me.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Look at all of these America-hating Celsius users. F doesn't stand for Fahrenheit, it stands for Freedom.

(I'm joking)
The F stands for Freedom, and the C stands for Cant F*cking land on the moon.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

ali.lari2x

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 30, 2023
I live in a cold country and each year suffer for up to 6 months because of the low temperatures, lack of sunlight, short days, and people with permanent scowls on their faces. I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better to leave everything I have here and move elsewhere where I wouldn't live with anxiety, frustration, and stress for a half of a year.

To anyone who has moved from a cold, dark or wet climate to a warm, sunny and dry climate - has it made you noticeably happier and greatly improved your quality of life?

If you have family and close friends back in your cold state/country, do the benefits of living in a sunny and warm place still outweigh the cons of missing them and essentially having to build a new life from scratch?
My biggest mistake was moving to Canada from Abu Dhabi as someone with Arab ancestry. I thought I would enjoy the snow and cold but it dulls everything out really quickly.

Although I do enjoy the grittiness of the sunless, windy winters. Something about it puts me into grind mode, whereas Mediterranean-type climates make me very sanguine and calm. So pick your poison, I guess :rofl:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I thought I would enjoy the snow and cold but it dulls everything out really quickly.

Lol people who think about the snow and cold weather as something enjoyable have never experienced true cold weather, particularly away from the city where you can't step into a heated building whenever you want.

Do you have plans to move somewhere else or have you adapted?

Although I do enjoy the grittiness of the sunless, windy winters. Something about it puts me into grind mode, whereas Mediterranean-type climates make me very sanguine and calm. So pick your poison, I guess :rofl:

There's nothing to do when it's cold so I guess that's what puts you into grind mode. I much rather prefer to be relaxed, calm, and less productive but enjoy my life.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Lol people who think about the snow and cold weather as something enjoyable have never experienced true cold weather, particularly away from the city where you can't step into a heated building whenever you want.

There's nothing to do when it's cold so I guess that's what puts you into grind mode. I much rather prefer to be relaxed, calm, and less productive but enjoy my life.

Tell me about it! I don't know if I'm going to make pickleball tomorrow because it will only be 45 in the morning. BRRRRRRRR

ali.lari2x

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 30, 2023

Yes hahaha I was one of those people, my image of winter was based on too many Home Alone movies.

I'll probably move back but to Dubai instead, I enjoy that type of environment but not year-round so I want to travel to places like Southeast Asia and Europe when it gets too hot.

Yes pretty much. It fits perfectly with East Coast vs. West Coast mentality here in North America. East Coasters are always doing something and hustling, whereas states like California and Oregon tend to be more laid-back and relaxed. Don't know about Quebec/Montreal though it seems like an exception to the rule, maybe because it's heavily influence by French culture.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England

The thoughts of ever going back to Ireland would kill me. Can't believe I lived that life so long when I knew it wasn't for me.
It's only been dry for one day in the whole month here in Liverpool.

However the cold snap is here now so its freezing but the rain has gone. It's the small things......

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland

I envy you :)

I remember November in Lisbon. People were wearing winter coats and I was in my shorts :D Winter in Portugal is like summer in Ireland ;(

On the other hand I got used to cold and the last time I went to Poland for Easter, it was snowing and around 0C and I was in my shorts, short sleeves etc :D

I thought I would enjoy the snow and cold but it dulls everything out really quickly.

I noticed a positive correlation between people who don't do winter sports (ski, snowboard) and their dislike for the season ;)

Once I started skiing I also couldn't wait for winter to start :)

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
I love the winter. I live in an area that gets consistent fresh powder (West NY), so it's always beautiful outside.

It does drop into the negatives in Freedom (F) temperature sometimes, but that's just something you gotta deal with.

I plan on moving to the mountains after my first Fastlane exit, probably in Vermont near Burlington or Stowe.

I want to be able to go ski every day.

Here's the view from outside our house:
2EB11B01-7FF2-4C3B-9387-EA788E30F371.jpeg

EmotionEngine

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2020
United States
Seattle, Washington - Where I live and looks like this 9 out of the 12 months.
Screenshot 2024-01-08 092745.png
In summer for 3 months we get this, but then the faucet turns back on in Sept.
seattle-washington-1.jpg
I thought about making a Phoenix pilgrimage as others have done here but my fiancé does not want to move and she has a extremely high paying scripted job in healthcare that she loves.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
I love the winter. I live in an area that gets consistent fresh powder (West NY), so it's always beautiful outside.

It does drop into the negatives in Freedom (F) temperature sometimes, but that's just something you gotta deal with.

I plan on moving to the mountains after my first Fastlane exit, probably in Vermont near Burlington or Stowe.

I want to be able to go ski every day.

Here's the view from outside our house:
View attachment 53417
Where? I lived in Elba, NY and went to college in Buffalo. Moved away after I graduated.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
Seattle, Washington - Where I live and looks like this 9 out of the 12 months.
View attachment 53419
In summer for 3 months we get this, but then the faucet turns back on in Sept.
View attachment 53420
I thought about making a Phoenix pilgrimage as others have done here but my fiancé does not want to move and she has a extremely high paying scripted job in healthcare that she loves.
I moved to Phoenix from Puyallup, WA.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I noticed a positive correlation between people who don't do winter sports (ski, snowboard) and their dislike for the season ;)

• Not every place that gets cold gets snow.
  • Not every place that gets cold has mountains anywhere nearby.
  • Many people can't do winter sports because of f*cked up knees. And if you have healthy knees but have never done any winter sports, you'll probably promptly F*ck them up permanently if you're older than 30-40.
  • Doing sports in cold weather sucks. You'll be cold, then you'll sweat, then you'll be cold and hot at the same time and you'll hate your life.
  • Doing winter sports doesn't change the fact that it's cold, dark, and miserable.
  • Yes I hate winter.

freek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Nov 17, 2022
Netherlands
For me it's not so much the cold but more the rainy gray dark days. It's been raining the past 2 weeks in the netherlands, constant. We get some daylight between 9-5 and then it's dark again. Today for the first time in a while the sun was out and the effect on my mood is incredible.

A friend of mine is spending 9 months in Valencia, spain. I'm going to do the same next year, be there from october-april and then get back to the netherlands when it gets to hot. I looked it up once and it is on of the places with the most sun hours in the world. (Or at least in the parts where i would consider living)

EmotionEngine

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2020
United States
For me it's not so much the cold but more the rainy gray dark days. It's been raining the past 2 weeks in the netherlands, constant. We get some daylight between 9-5 and then it's dark again. Today for the first time in a while the sun was out and the effect on my mood is incredible.

A friend of mine is spending 9 months in Valencia, spain. I'm going to do the same next year, be there from october-april and then get back to the netherlands when it gets to hot. I looked it up once and it is on of the places with the most sun hours in the world. (Or at least in the parts where i would consider living)
I was just in Spain in November. I took this picture while flying over Valencia to Palma de Mallorca. Weather was great.
IMG_2579.jpeg

ali.lari2x

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 30, 2023

Looks like I need to start skiing then, always wanted to but never got to it lol

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
It's only been dry for one day in the whole month here in Liverpool.

However the cold snap is here now so its freezing but the rain has gone. It's the small things......

I don't mind the cold. My favourite days are those cold sunny days.

It's the constant wetness that drives me mad.

When it rains here in the Algarve it's like a phenomenon. It pours down and the locals are out taking photos.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland

Well maybe she can move her job to somewhere more sunny? Doesn't have to be Phoenix. There are so many nice places in the US. Or moving is out of the question?

• Not every place that gets cold gets snow.
  • Not every place that gets cold has mountains anywhere nearby.
  • Many people can't do winter sports because of f*cked up knees. And if you have healthy knees but have never done any winter sports, you'll probably promptly F*ck them up permanently if you're older than 30-40.
  • Doing sports in cold weather sucks. You'll be cold, then you'll sweat, then you'll be cold and hot at the same time and you'll hate your life.
  • Doing winter sports doesn't change the fact that it's cold, dark, and miserable.
  • Yes I hate winter.

This is true too. A lot of good points about different things. I wouldn't recommend taking up skiing to someone who doesn't do sports daily. Esp. cycling helps strengthen knees and those muscles.

I only mentioned what helped me and still helps - finding fun and ways to reframe it in my mind - it makes a huge difference to me.

You reminded me of this commercial (not you personally, this is about all of us). You can hate winter and it's ok. I sometimes feel hate too.

View: https://youtu.be/obdd31Q9PqA?si=CtlevD5OzZbfNQNH

I get it. It is even darker in Ireland. But I get it how miserable it can be.

--------------------------

I am working on reframing it so the weather doesn't control my life as much. In the end, I get it, it does. But we also can do so much more than we think and feel, even in the most shit conditions.

----------------------------

Moving to less sunny, more wet and darker climate made me 'happier' :) It can make us happier, it can make us sadder. Depends....

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I only mentioned what helped me and still helps - finding fun and ways to reframe it in my mind - it makes a huge difference to me.

You reminded me of this commercial (not you personally, this is about all of us). You can hate winter and it's ok. I sometimes feel hate too.

If I have to endure winter (when I'm temporarily in Poland instead of traveling) then I still go out for walks even in -15 degrees Celsius.

I also used to do winter swimming until I got frostbite on my toe (took months to heal) and decided it's not worth it. I also didn't notice any magical effects of cold exposure even though I did a lot of it in water as cold as 3 degrees plus also did cold water surfing.

So just saying that even though I tried to find fun and reframe it, I'm just not made for it.

I believe that very few people are made for winter. It's just not natural for humans considering where we come from. Colder but still relatively sunny weather in the winter (like the Mediterranean) I can understand but very cold weather, snow, darkness, lack of sunshine for weeks, etc. is just not a climate in which you can thrive.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.