The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've been in Poland for over two months now (due to some medical-related stuff of my girlfriend) and my mental state is shit now. I thought that occupying myself with lots of stuff would help. It helped in the beginning but I think I was just initially fueled by the energy from 2023 (I spent the entire year in great weather).

Now, I'm so tired that I'm close to collapsing mentally and my health is also way worse.

Almost every day is the same F*cking shade of gray. There have been 2-3-week periods without any sunshine whatsoever. I can't be even 25% as active as in the summer because it's too miserable for long walks, let alone runs or cycling. Swimming (a huge mental booster for me) is not possible at all since I hate swimming in swimming pools.

I try to fill the void with food which has led to weight gain (I'm fighting to reverse this now but it's extremely hard with this weather). I get frequent digestive issues because of that. My skin looks worse (probably due to indoor heating, dry air and shit air quality). My injuries are nagging me, further making me feel unhealthy.

Mentally I'm a wreck, too. All the most effective stress management tools are not available to me. In the summer (or in warm climates) I get a huge stress reduction from freediving, surfing, swimming or simply being out in the sun.

The periods of time in my life when I felt the healthiest were always in the summer or abroad when I lived for at least a few weeks in a place with excellent weather and water activities.

This is my second honest attempt to see if I can feel good in the winter in Poland (two years ago I did an entire year in Poland, focused on training MMA which I since stopped doing due to the fear of injuries) and I just can't manage that. My mind and body take a huge beating that later requires a few months to recover from (only to happen again if I don't leave in the fall).

Thankfully it's almost March, I'm going to train freediving for two weeks in one of the deepest swimming pools in the world (which happens to be in Poland) and the forecast is finally showing some nicer weather coming soon.

It also helps to know that technically I can leave whenever I want. I just choose not to due to my girlfriend.

When was the last time you had blood work with a complete, thorough panel?

I'd start with Vitamin D, B12, and testosterone.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
When was the last time you had blood work with a complete, thorough panel?

I'd start with Vitamin D, B12, and testosterone.

I did the most comprehensive medical check-up I'd ever done last May (it was one of the most comprehensive ones I could find in my country). This also included all the things you mentioned plus many more.

Everything was perfect and the doctor said I was extremely healthy (upon also inspecting my arteries).

So this is most likely a mental thing. I've been struggling with mental health since I was a teenager. The symptoms are simply greatly lessened when I have access to activities that relax me (and they all have two things in common: great weather and nature).

Plushy

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 19, 2023
USA
guys, I think vitamin D is the game changer. Even though I typically love the cold because I love staying indoors, I started having neurological problems like brain fog and migraines. I took 10,000IU vitamin D and they went away, in fact, I was so happy and energized for a few days I thought I was manic! I still love the cold, I love the gray skies and barren trees. Taking vitamin D is like liquid sunshine.

People with fair skin do well in the colder climates because they get enough sunlight to synthesize vitamin D, which is critical for a lot of brain functions, neurotransmitters and building neurons. You have to remember our ancestors were out 5 to 10 hours a day, so we are probably not getting enough vitamin D and other nutrients for peak performance.

edit: didn't see MJ posting about vitamin D

also, try joining a gym to help relieve stress in the cold. Our bodies are designed to use exercise as stress relief. The amount of cortisol we build up throughout the day is expecting to be slowly released through continuous labor.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I took 10,000IU vitamin D and they went away, in fact, I was so happy and energized for a few days I thought I was manic! I still love the cold, I love the gray skies and barren trees. Taking vitamin D is like liquid sunshine.

Try taking Magnesium Threonate with Vitamin D3. It's the proprietary version of magnesium called Magtein that crosses the blood brain barrier. They are both synergistic.

Although, I'm not sure if taking supplemental Vitamin D is the same as getting actual sunlight. Sunlight is involved in different pathways and even penetrates our skin and skull.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Starting to get a little warmer here, sun's out more and can finally go for walks without a coat the last couple of days.

Going to Tenerife next week for 10 days, can't honestly wait for some warm sun on my back!

Bigbird230

Banned for using AI
Mar 19, 2024
I live in a cold country and each year suffer for up to 6 months because of the low temperatures, lack of sunlight, short days, and people with permanent scowls on their faces. I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better to leave everything I have here and move elsewhere where I wouldn't live with anxiety, frustration, and stress for a half of a year.

To anyone who has moved from a cold, dark or wet climate to a warm, sunny and dry climate - has it made you noticeably happier and greatly improved your quality of life?

If you have family and close friends back in your cold state/country, do the benefits of living in a sunny and warm place still outweigh the cons of missing them and essentially having to build a new life from scratch?
Moving from a cold to a warm climate can boost happiness due to increased sunlight and outdoor activities. However, leaving behind family and friends may cause emotional strain. Benefits include improved mood and physical health, but adapting to a new environment can be challenging. It's essential to weigh personal priorities and support systems. Maintaining connections through visits or virtual communication can help ease the transition. Consider seeking advice from others who have made similar moves. Overall, the decision depends on individual circumstances and values.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Moving from a cold to a warm climate can boost happiness due to increased sunlight and outdoor activities. However, leaving behind family and friends may cause emotional strain. Benefits include improved mood and physical health, but adapting to a new environment can be challenging. It's essential to weigh personal priorities and support systems. Maintaining connections through visits or virtual communication can help ease the transition. Consider seeking advice from others who have made similar moves. Overall, the decision depends on individual circumstances and values.
@MJ DeMarco A.I generated spam?

WilliamSherman

New Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 18, 2024
I remember how I wanted to live, as you say, in a warm and sunny climate. So, I moved to Thailand for 6 months. You can't even imagine how lazy I became there. I tried to work remotely but literally couldn't find the energy to do anything. Then, late at night, I spend my time grocery shopping and watching movies.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I remember how I wanted to live, as you say, in a warm and sunny climate. So, I moved to Thailand for 6 months. You can't even imagine how lazy I became there. I tried to work remotely but literally couldn't find the energy to do anything. Then, late at night, I spend my time grocery shopping and watching movies.

Thailand isn't really that sunny with their wet seasons. Also, there's a huge difference between living in a warm and sunny place like the Sunshine Cost in Australia when the temperatures are almost always perfectly comfortable vs living in the crazy humidity of Southeast Asia.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019
I travel from Eastern Europe to sunny places 9 months out of the year. Since I remember, I've struggled with mental health, but yes, I feel more energized and productive in a warm and sunny place. What I achieve in 10 hours, in the middle of the winter, in Eastern Europe, takes me 4 hours in La, Costa Rica, or Turkey.

It probably helps that I enjoy being active outdoors, there are a lot more options for what you can do in your free time.

It's not an ultimate solution if you're severely struggling. Mental health challenges exist in warm and tropical paradises too, but if you're somewhat clear about your values, and goals, and are going in a generally good direction, a more enjoyable environment could be helpful.

WilliamSherman

New Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 18, 2024
Thailand isn't really that sunny with their wet seasons. Also, there's a huge difference between living in a warm and sunny place like the Sunshine Cost in Australia when the temperatures are almost always perfectly comfortable vs living in the crazy humidity of Southeast Asia.
Thailand seemed to me pretty hot, even during the rain. Besides, during the rainy weather there, I felt even more lazier. It looks like changing seasons is more suitable for me.

HannahsFastlane

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 3, 2024
Germany
I have spent January in Thailand for the last 2 years. The time there was a holiday for me, but as I have a side business, I also worked from there. I totally enjoyed my time there. I'm from Germany and January is cold, grey and dreary here. It feels like January lasts 90 days and people are in a bad mood, have no plans and are about to throw their New Year's resolutions overboard again.

The sun and warm temperatures in Thailand have totally motivated me. I have also met entrepreneurs who have also fled cold Europe to spend the winter in Thailand and work from there. Talking to these entrepreneurs and the prospect that, if my agency becomes successful and I do it full-time, I will be free to decide at any time whether I want to get on a plane and fly to a sunny and warm place, has totally motivated me every time. For me, deciding WHERE I spend my time, is also a main part of being free.

What I also think: you don't always have to make black-or-white decisions. You can go somewhere else for 1, 2 or 3 months, just rent an AirBnB and try it out. You don't have to emigrate and leave everything behind just to top up your vitamin D levels. :)

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Just returned from our usual Easter break in Tenerife and now back in the miserable UK.

It's amazing how much the sun and warm weather helps with my mood. Plus you can get a pint of beer for 1 euro and filet steak in a restaurant for around 15 euros.

Not only is the weather miserable here in UK, the cost of living is getting ridiculous, a pint is £4 now and filet steak in restaurant would be £25.

Not to mention the amount of pot holes in the roads.

Two pictures taken 24 hours apart. I didn't even want to get out of bed this morning when I heard the wind and rain.

Attachments

• 5DEF3AF6-CB59-480A-A220-82B88E58DFD9.jpg
    5DEF3AF6-CB59-480A-A220-82B88E58DFD9.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 20
  • AAAF95DE-6377-41E9-9D48-24A20DFABE6A.jpg
    AAAF95DE-6377-41E9-9D48-24A20DFABE6A.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 20

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 27, 2016
It has been very sunny the last two weeks in Switzerland, around 25 degrees and now it is 10 degrees and foggy/cloudy again.

I think my burnout has nothing to do with Swiss unfriendliness or lack of sex or whatever. All of these stem from one place: the 9-10 months long cloudy weather.

It is 9 o'clock in the morning and I have no desire to do whatsoever.

Last edited:

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
It has been very sunny the last two weeks in Switzerland, around 25 degrees and now it is 10 degrees and foggy/cloudy again.

I think my burnout has nothing to do with Swiss unfriendliness or lack of sex or whatever. All of these stem from one place: the 9-10 months long cloudy weather.

It is 9 o'clock in the morning and I have no desire to do whatsoever.

You'd think the poor weather would motivate me to work more in order to be able to get out of this country more often but it seems to do the opposite and paralyse me. Went for a walk before it was somewhat sunny but very windy. Can't win here.

I think if my wife said to me once you hit x amount monthly or yearly we'll move to somewhere warm it would motivate me but with the kids at nearly 14 and 16 there's no way we'd move them so I'm struggling now with being disciplined because I don't really see what the end result is for. I've been in business all my life and the idea is that it enables me to do other things, not the fact that I love getting up and working each day. So at the moment if I earned another £10k a month what it drastically alter my life? No. I'd be able to buy some more clothes and maybe go to more restaurants but ultimately I'm still getting up to miserable shit weather and stuck inside most nights because there's nothing else to do.

I'm honestly considering moving my home office into the downstairs toilet where its got no windows so I can literally work in there all day and not know what the hell is going on outside.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
but with the kids at nearly 14 and 16 there's no way we'd move them

Have you ever asked them whether they would prefer living somewhere else? Or do they love living in the UK?

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
You'd think the poor weather would motivate me to work more in order to be able to get out of this country more often but it seems to do the opposite and paralyse me. Went for a walk before it was somewhat sunny but very windy. Can't win here.

I think if my wife said to me once you hit x amount monthly or yearly we'll move to somewhere warm it would motivate me but with the kids at nearly 14 and 16 there's no way we'd move them so I'm struggling now with being disciplined because I don't really see what the end result is for. I've been in business all my life and the idea is that it enables me to do other things, not the fact that I love getting up and working each day. So at the moment if I earned another £10k a month what it drastically alter my life? No. I'd be able to buy some more clothes and maybe go to more restaurants but ultimately I'm still getting up to miserable shit weather and stuck inside most nights because there's nothing else to do.

I'm honestly considering moving my home office into the downstairs toilet where its got no windows so I can literally work in there all day and not know what the hell is going on outside.
I get what you mean. I’ve been almost bed bound from exhaustion this week, I think it’s the tail end of extreme SAD. There’s some simple things I can be doing to improve my business but it’s a struggle. I’ve barely played guitar at all in the last four days and my 30min lesson last night felt like a marathon from having to focus.

About all I can do is read novels at the moment.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Have you ever asked them whether they would prefer living somewhere else? Or do they love living in the UK?

The younger one would be up for moving away but my oldest wouldn't. They're not as affected by the weather as I am and when I was there age I wasn't either. They're happy to just come home from school and play on their computer until it's bed time.

Even now my wife has just called me downstairs to show me holidays for next year on her laptop, we've already booked Dominican Republic for Easter and she's now looking at Mexico for Summer 2025. The problem is there's a long time to go before then and you blink and you're back in the airport coming home again. It's a negative way of looking at it but I can't seem to shake it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Why wouldn’t an extra $120k a year change anything? That’s got to be a lot more percentage wise added to your yearly income.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 27, 2016
Why wouldn’t an extra $120k a year change anything? That’s got to be a lot more percentage wise added to your yearly income.
It would certainly change a lot in my life :D

But again, I think what he means is that weather matters more to his life quality currently than 120k extra annually.

If I had 7-8 figures in the bank, I would probably think the same.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England

It’s certainly a lot more money than I get now don’t get me wrong, but im still getting up pissed off because the weathers shit and it’s not really making a drastic difference to my life for the time being.

I couldn’t go on any more holidays because my wife wouidnt get the time off
Work, plus the kids are in school.

So what does the 10k a month get spent on? A few more meals out maybe and possibly upgrade the car?

It’s Friday evening now, it’s not raining it’s actually sunny foe a change but not warm 12 degrees. We’re not drinking alcohol this weekend (which usually gets me through it) so I’m on one sofa and my wife’s on other. Kids are on their computers.

If I had another £10k a month in the bank we wouldn’t be doing anything else. There’s nothing else to do in this country apart from eating and drinking.

In an ideal world Id love to just be happy waking up where I live, enjoying my work, spending time outdoors after work instead of counting down the days until the next holiday not to mention having to spend thousands of pounds on them.

Last edited:

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
It’s certainly a lot more money than I get now don’t get me wrong, but im still getting up pissed off because the weathers shit and it’s not really making a drastic difference to my life for the time being.

So what does the 10k a month get spent on? A few more meals out maybe and possibly upgrade the car?

It’s Friday evening now, it’s not raining it’s actually sunny foe a change but not warm 12 degrees. We’re not drinking alcohol this weekend (which usually gets me through it) so I’m on one sofa and my wife’s on other. Kids are on their computers.

If I had another £10k a month in the bank we wouldn’t be doing anything else. There’s nothing else to do in this country apart from eating and drinking.

In an ideal world Id love to just be happy waking up where I live, enjoying my work, spending time outdoors after work instead of counting down the days until the next holiday not to mention having to spend thousands of pounds on them.
What’s the point of complaining so much about the weather? If you don’t like something then change it and if you can’t change it then change what you think of it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

An extra 10k a month would mean that you could invest more in build your net worth up much faster that you could move somewhere sooner.

It might not change your life this month or next month, but it certainly will change your life in the next five years.

And your wife could probably quit her job and you could take more vacations because she doesn’t have to work.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
I'm convinced this entire premise is fueled by our mental state.

We are launching our app next month, and admittedly, I've been feeling a tad overwhelmed.

Decided to fly out and unwind in AZ for a couple of weeks, and am still here. I had assumed the sunshine and good "AZ vibes" would be enough.

The first few days were great. I felt like a new man. Then reality came crashing down, and I realized I'm ultimately delaying the inevitable (facing the "overwhelmed" feeling). It's all waiting for me back home.

While I obviously haven't moved, it made me realize I'm not running away from my environment, per se, but rather the challenges within it. I would still feel overwhelmed if I were living here. The sunshine wouldn't change that.

Furthermore, the constant beautiful weather added a layer of "FOMO" I never knew I had. When it's 80+ and beautiful out 24/7, all you want to do is find a cutie and chill. Maybe get some booty. Work? Nah. That's dumb and stressful.

Sunshine, women, and blunts? That's easy and fun. VERY fun. And being fluent in Spanish here? Lmfao. It's life on EZ mode.

Would I be happier here overall? In a sense, sure, but I now know it would be a distraction more than anything. Which is a shame as I'm tired of calling home "home."

Cheers.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019

Sure, your next month would probably be the same, but what if you kept collecting 10K each month for 5 years? 600K is not enough to move and never work again, but you could do a lot with it.

Move to Southern Europe and buy a property - 200K should be enough for a modest house in a medium-sized city or smaller.

Keep 100K for 1st year's living expenses - should cover the whole family.

Put 200K aside, and collect some interest.

Use 100K to start a business - even better, use 10K and invest more once you gain momentum.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
What’s the point of complaining so much about the weather? If you don’t like something then change it and if you can’t change it then change what you think of it.

You're right moaning about it isn't going to change anything. I'm 43 now so knowing myself like I do there's no way to "kid" myself by changing what I think of it because my brain won't work like that. I can't pretend.

However the solution is probably finding more enjoyment in my daily work. I guess thats going to come from repetition and reducing dopamine which I'm currently craving (ie on weekends, holidays etc).

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Take a picture of your garden today.

We'll all be looking at a nice azure sky, a sward of green lawn and is that a palm tree in the left hand corner?

Not to mention your lawn badminton cum tennis court. Where's the deckchairs and Pimms? In the clubhouse? (shed) :)

Dan

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
att.Jump2Zh2NpfVrUfvLS91_8Sl2QtY2kVmgGtD445t3eQ.jpg

These comparisons always crack me up. Even if it's not exactly that price, I know it's very close to reality.

Of course there's a lot behind the scenes in Spain and it's not all roses, particularly for job opportunities. But when contrasted like that, which sane person would buy a shitty musty apartment in an old communist building with shitty weather 9 months a year over that nice clean apartment with a sea view and awesome weather 9 months a year?

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 27, 2016
View attachment 55529

These comparisons always crack me up. Even if it's not exactly that price, I know it's very close to reality.

Of course there's a lot behind the scenes in Spain and it's not all roses, particularly for job opportunities. But when contrasted like that, which sane person would buy a shitty musty apartment in an old communist building with shitty weather 9 months a year over that nice clean apartment with a sea view and awesome weather 9 months a year?
Prague should not be compared to Costa del Sol.

Prague should be compared with Madrid & Barcelona. Or Lisbon.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.