The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Happy to join this community

AsDeOros

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Nov 9, 2016
Pola de Lena
Hello everybody!

My name is Adrian, I am from Spain and now I live here too. My age is 28 and I am a network engineer. This week I have just finished the book and directly joined to this community. It has really impacted in my life in a very positive way, probably like in most of yours.

My current situation is unemployment by choice. I used to work in Madrid, in a 9-18 job as an embedded systems programmer and I left it some months ago. After traveling during 3 months in the EEUU, I decided to start my own business, so I am learning in the internet, reading lots of books and thinking about lifestyle. I have always worked as an employee so I am changing my mind to be a business man.

I have one question that maybe any of you can help me to solve. A friend of mine is the owner of a small company involved in some product distribution: importing and exporting activities. He offered me to work for a while with his team and in this way, introduce myself to this new business world. I think that this is a win-win situation: I can modernize and automate some parts of the business in exchange for learning how it works from inside and earning some money (now I have no income but savings). The other option is starting it just right now. What do you think about it? What would you do?

Thanks in advance :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DoubleDareYou

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Nov 10, 2016
High Elevation Mountain Rainforest
Hi Adrian, welcome to the forum! I've recently registered as well so this is pure freshmen talk hehe.

Congrats for your trip, travel is always a great way to expose yourself to the necessary changes faster, and for the better.

Regarding your question, I've been in the same situation before. If it was me I'd take the job no doubt, it sounds like a great opportunity. Business is generally the same everywhere, but every industry has its local particularities and whenever you have the chance to work from the inside you'll be positioned to learn substantially more than if you're just starting by your own.

Go for it so you can sustain yourself in the States and acquire new knowledge and connections very rapidly. Even if you're not planning to launch in the same industry, you'll still have a lot to learn from every aspect of the business that could as well be perfectly translated to yours. Name it accounting, personnel, management, B2B and B2C relationships, customer service, sales, taxes and liabilities, etc.

Keep those savings to invest in your own growth and that of your business! Don't let them go away in regular expenses while having the chance to work on an exciting project that can open up many paths for your progress and provide for your living costs in this early stage of your journey.

As always, the pick is yours. If you go, don't forget to negotiate and make things clear. Contract work is not and easy-peasy thing, even among friends.

Wish you the best,

-DDY

DBXI

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Nov 24, 2015
Welcome Adrian. I'm a network engineer by day as well and like you one day looking to run our online businesses full time. I'd take the job, learn and be the best employee you can, build relationships, at night study your a$$ off, really think about your goals, put a plan in place and begin executing it asap. No time like the present.

AsDeOros

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Nov 9, 2016
Pola de Lena
Well, thanks a lot for motivation! I did not expect having answers so quickly :)

I am only afraid of one aspect taking the job: as I was working as a programmer, I could not start my business because that job was really hard and when I came back to home, I was really devastated and it was very difficult to start a new business on my own. I do not want to have the feeling that I take again the same path. It is true that now I am living in a small town and the job is like a training for me to learn some new useful things, so environment has deeply changed in a good way.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hello everybody!

My name is Adrian, I am from Spain and now I live here too. My age is 28 and I am a network engineer. This week I have just finished the book and directly joined to this community. It has really impacted in my life in a very positive way, probably like in most of yours.

My current situation is unemployment by choice. I used to work in Madrid, in a 9-18 job as an embedded systems programmer and I left it some months ago. After traveling during 3 months in the EEUU, I decided to start my own business, so I am learning in the internet, reading lots of books and thinking about lifestyle. I have always worked as an employee so I am changing my mind to be a business man.

I have one question that maybe any of you can help me to solve. A friend of mine is the owner of a small company involved in some product distribution: importing and exporting activities. He offered me to work for a while with his team and in this way, introduce myself to this new business world. I think that this is a win-win situation: I can modernize and automate some parts of the business in exchange for learning how it works from inside and earning some money (now I have no income but savings). The other option is starting it just right now. What do you think about it? What would you do?

Thanks in advance :)
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like a great opportunity.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!