The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Guys I need help to make $2K/mo

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I hate my job, and I really want to be able to quit my job and work for myself within a year or 2, but I can't seem to find a way. Any side hustles that are working for people? I just need a place to start at least. Is coding still a viable option? I honestly don't care what it is, just something where I can make $2000 a month within one year ish. Any help is greatly appreciated
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what we recommend. The kind of person who can take a side hustle recommendation and turn it into a $2,000/mo income isn't the kind of person who asks for recommendations about side hustles that work on a forum where side hustles that work are posted everywhere with a special designation to help you find them.

If you ever want to escape your job, you need to be able to rely on yourself. That means developing some level of self-sufficiency. So the focus should be on skills acquisition, not shortcuts to money. Skills like:

- Researching solutions for your problems
- Critical thought to determine which solutions might work for you
- Decision-making to pick one of those solutions
- Planning to figure out the next few steps toward the next milestone
- Action-taking to get started
- Problem-solving for when you get stuck after you start
- Endurance to see your path through to success

Those are some of the skills you need, both for side hustles and to run a business.

But if you really want a surefire path to $2,000/mo in a year, all you have to do is switch genders and start an OnlyFans. But you'll still need the skills above.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here's a convo I had which seems similar to this one...

Basically stop worrying about the money, start looking for small wins.

Even if that is turning $10 into $30 due to some creativity, or labor, or tool use.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
"Everyone" doesnt like their job and would love to have someone just hand them a way to make money otherwise. You haven't earned it yet, so why do you deserve it more than someone else?

I get that it is tough being in a hard place and not liking what you do, but as you'll hear repeated here often, the world doesnt care about what you need, they care about what you can do for them (commonly referred as "provide value")

So get started on this side hustle of flipping things(you mentioned above), you'll see the entire value thing play out, and since you will be into the process and "playing the game" you'll start to see more opportunity.

The worst thing you could do a this stage is wait for a handout, you'll be an equal amount of time behind the next guy that's putting the work in.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, we are rooting for ya!

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Hey!

I just recently made a youtube about this subject. I give 5 side-hustles that you can start right now!!

@Lex DeVille liked the video. He gave a lengthy comment in the comments section. ;)

P.S. Only @shawnyp should click the link.

I did not listen to you and cannot unsee or unhear what I just watched, hope nobody else besides OP makes this same mistake.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Prostitution. Make sure to use a condom.
F*ck it, don't use a condom and ask for double the money. Or triple. Think bigger.

Sean P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 4, 2014
"I hate my job" vs "work for myself" is a comparison not many will write about especially those in the second category especially after they transition from the first one.

As you must have figured out by now it is easier said than done, because what in the world are you going to do, unless you have a passion that pays in which case you would have been earning from it anyway.

Your employer looked at what you have done in the past and gave you the job. You may not have been the best but you got the job anyway.

You spoke about Upwork, well hirers on Upwork only pick the best and it does take a lot of time, effort and sleepless nights to be the best online.

On the other hand, you don't have to be the best in your line of work to earn your salary. You get it anyway, if you have clocked in and clocked out at the office.

Here's the best part about a day job, something that no entrepreneurial venture can match except those of Jeff Bezos and his peers who have large profit making companies that they run from home.

You get paid a fixed salary like clockwork on the same day every month year after year, irrespective of how little or how much more you have worked. You might also get a bonus like every other employee notwithstanding whether you have worked for it or not.

Someone who goes to work everyday is counted as a person with a purpose in life. Even if you are earning five figures online, people will look at you with suspicion, as though you're running a drug cartel or a ponzi scheme. Saying "I design websites", "I sell t-shirts online", or "I write books" is not enough for people to believe that you earn a living online, even if you actually do!

Believe me it seems amusing when I say it but after a few years it will drive you up the wall and you will start to lose your self esteem. People will look at you as though you are a good-for-nothing, stay-at-home weirdo. I mean you can't show income proofs and screenshots to everyone who comes to visit you at home, or meets you at a social event, just to show that you have a legit life!

The most polite question would be "how's whatever you're doing online going?" or "how's it going - whatever you do that is?"

What's worse is that most people who work online barely make ends meet, but never admit it.

Most income proofs and earnings screenshots that you get on a google search are fake, designed to drive traffic to blogs or landing pages. "How to fake income proofs in Photoshop" are some of the most watched videos on YouTube. So don't get influenced by what you find online, take it with a pinch of salt, and only believe your own experience if you decide to start something part-time.

I could go on and on, but let me end this post by saying that wherever you are, the other side of the grass always looks greener.

So stick with your day job because it pays the bills and be thankful you have one in these times. I know people who would kill to get a job that pays $2000 per month. You're free to try something new in your spare time, but reaching $2000 per month online or through doing odd jobs is something very few actually achieve.

Last edited:

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
I hate my job, and I really want to be able to quit my job and work for myself within a year or 2, but I can't seem to find a way. Any side hustles that are working for people? I just need a place to start at least. Is coding still a viable option? I honestly don't care what it is, just something where I can make $2000 a month within one year ish. Any help is greatly appreciated

Get a side job in entry level sales. Making 2k in that should be fairly easy. Then you get a valuable skill set and see real world ideas. The hardest part is most people try to create instead of improve especially when they are new.

it is exactly what I did, then it bridged into related businesses. Now my living expenses are covered in a few days, the rest is gravy to reinvest.

Only took about 3 years.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
What do you mean exactly by home service?
Window cleaning. Pressure washing. Painting. Plumbing. Counters. Cabinets. Drywall. Roofing. Landscaping. Snow removal. The list goes on. Do research for a few days, pick a niche and go for it.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Hey!

I just recently made a youtube about this subject. I give 5 side-hustles that you can start right now!!

@Lex DeVille liked the video. He gave a lengthy comment in the comments section. ;)

P.S. Only @shawnyp should click the link.

KTudor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Feb 20, 2021
Oyster Bay, NY
I would suggest finding something you like to do because it will be easier to sell.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
You could easily be making $2k net profit in 30 days or less (if your in the US)
Just look at your current skill set or your natural inclinations. For example, if you'r handy. You can easily charge $100 an hour doing easy stuff, like replace door locks, installing ring doorbells, mounting tvs.

If your tech savy, like good with Google Ads manager, start looking for work on upwork etc.

Handy Jobs
Yelp
Thumbtack
Google Ads
Whatever other platform is collecting leads for the said service on Google

Techy
Upwork
Craigslist
Fiverr

I have done both, It works really well!

swerving2sucess

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 6, 2021
I think that a good option would be to work as a freelance and look for a job on your main specialty. A good site to look for some work-from-home jobs is craiglist.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Invest $100-500 to buy equipment to wash cars, clean house windows / power clean bricks/deckings etc.
Spend 2-3 hours watching youtube videos on how to do the job well.
Learn about proving excellent customer service, give customers a small gift/bonus they are not expecting, ask them for a recommendation.

Create a short little video with your camera telling people who you are, what you're offering and how to contact you. Promote the video to everyone living within a 5 mile radius of where you live.

People will contact you via whatsapp and ask for your services.

You only need 100 clients paying you $30/month to wash their car (you go to them) or wash their windows once a month.

Charge a little more for the power wash once every 6 months ($100?).

shawnyp

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Mar 13, 2021

B.Cotter

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Apr 23, 2020
Northern VA
Just remember a business doesn't have to be some brand new idea that hasn't been thought of before. In my opinion, the best "starter" businesses are concepts that have already been proven by other people. You can always evolve and pivot with new ideas in the future when you see what the market needs and wants.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
I did not listen to you and cannot unsee or unhear what I just watched, hope nobody else besides OP makes this same mistake.

BTm.gif

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Go start a home service business man.

Throw up Craigslist and Facebook and Yelp ads. Provide service to home owners for $100/house. You do 3 a day. You have made 2k revenue in a week. You pay your ads. Now you got 3 weeks to make more.

I’ve been there. When you don’t have it, it seems SO difficult and SO far off. If I could ONLY make 2 measly thousand bucks a month my life would be better etc... My advice is quit your job because if all you need is 2k the job is easily replaceable anyway. Go force yourself to succeed. That’s what worked for me.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
f*ck it, don't use a condom and ask for double the money. Or triple. Think bigger.

Actually, that was barely a "think bigger" suggestion. Here you go pal:

Manage a prostitution racket, except make it more human, and not about trafficking. I guess it wouldn't be really a racket then, but you get what I mean.

Preferably do this in a country where prostitution isn't illegal (do these exist?). Make the country legalize prostitution as a real job with social security and regular taxation. Make prostitution safer by forcing testing for STDs for the girls. I don't know how you'd avoid STDs from the clients, that's for you to figure out.

You're welcome for the idea by the way, if you wanna send me €1.000 for the consultancy I'll gladly accept them.

shawnyp

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Mar 13, 2021
"Everyone" doesnt like their job and would love to have someone just hand them a way to make money otherwise. You haven't earned it yet, so why do you deserve it more than someone else?

I get that it is tough being in a hard place and not liking what you do, but as you'll hear repeated here often, the world doesnt care about what you need, they care about what you can do for them (commonly referred as "provide value")

So get started on this side hustle of flipping things(you mentioned above), you'll see the entire value thing play out, and since you will be into the process and "playing the game" you'll start to see more opportunity.

The worst thing you could do a this stage is wait for a handout, you'll be an equal amount of time behind the next guy that's putting the work in.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, we are rooting for ya!
Thanks! I know I kinda sounded like I was looking for an easy solution, but I was more so looking for direction, theres so much noise in the world of "entrepreneurship” today, it can be hard to pick where to start. I think learning the skill of simple arbitrage is the best place to startout for me, and I definitely realize i wont be able to quit my job in a month or two. Thanks for the advice man, it means a lot

shawnyp

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Mar 13, 2021
"I hate my job" vs "work for myself" is a comparison not many will write about especially those in the second category especially after they transition from the first one.

As you must have figured out by now it is easier said than done, because what in the world are you going to do, unless you have a passion that pays in which case you would have been earning from it anyway.

Your employer looked at what you have done in the past and gave you the job. You may not have been the best but you got the job anyway.

You spoke about Upwork, well hirers on Upwork only pick the best and it does take a lot of time, effort and sleepless nights to be the best online.

On the other hand, you don't have to be the best in your line of work to earn your salary. You get it anyway, if you have clocked in and clocked out at the office.

Here's the best part about a day job, something that no entrepreneurial venture can match except those of Jeff Bezos and his peers who have large profit making companies that they run from home.

You get paid a fixed salary like clockwork on the same day every month year after year, irrespective of how little or how much more you have worked. You might also get a bonus like every other employee notwithstanding whether you have worked for it or not.

Someone who goes to work everyday is counted as a person with a purpose in life. Even if you are earning five figures online, people will look at you with suspicion, as though you're running a drug cartel or a ponzi scheme. Saying "I design websites", "I sell t-shirts online", or "I write books" is not enough for people to believe that you earn a living online, even if you actually do!

Believe me it seems amusing when I say it but after a few years it will drive you up the wall and you will start to lose your self esteem. People will look at you as though you are a good-for-nothing, stay-at-home weirdo. I mean you can't show income proofs and screenshots to everyone who comes to visit you at home, or meets you at a social event, just to show that you have a legit life!

The most polite question would be "how's whatever you're doing online going?" or "how's it going - whatever you do that is?"

What's worse is that most people who work online barely make ends meet, but never admit it.

Most income proofs and earnings screenshots that you get on a google search are fake, designed to drive traffic to blogs or landing pages. "How to fake income proofs in Photoshop" are some of the most watched videos on YouTube. So don't get influenced by what you find online, take it with a pinch of salt, and only believe your own experience if you decide to start something part-time.

I could go on and on, but let me end this post by saying that wherever you are, the other side of the grass always looks greener.

So stick with your day job because it pays the bills and be thankful you have one in these times. I know people who would kill to get a job that pays $2000 per month. You're free to try something new in your spare time, but reaching $2000 per month online or through doing odd jobs is something very few actually achieve.
You’re absolutely right. This is how pretty much everyone viewed things until everyone online started talking about entrepreneurship and how if you just work hard you’ll be a millionaire right? For me it’s less about the money and more about how I make it. Also personally, I would rather work as hard as I can and put my all into a business that I truly believe can bring real value to people, and I guess it just comes down to certain things, like do you care about what others think, work ethic, mindset, willing to be humble. How I ended up making the decision is I asked myself, if I tried doing this until I was 80 years old, and was never successful with it, would I still want to do it over having a job? And if the answer is yes, then its worth it.

VinnieJones

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Mar 10, 2021
Netherlands
I am in the process to learn product photography, this is something I wanted to do myself for my other side hustle; e commerce.

Want to shoot my own pics that stand out, this got me thinking to learn this and if I master this I can also shoot pics for other e commerce guys. I know a few so I can start doing it for free hopefully get my foot in the door.

now in the process of figuring out how a camera works haha, never used one before but in a few days I already know the basics and shot some pretty decent photos.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I saw on youtube people are making coloring books up to $10,000 to sell on Kindle? I don't know if a llot of those videos are exagerated though. Thought of putting up a little journal on Amazon Kindle for $1
Saturated, but works with volume. By that I mean you need thousands of coloring books.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.