The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Guns Don't kill people. Sales Letters Do

Marketing, social media, advertising

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Just wondering if a smart marketing type could clarify things for a total marketing newb like myself. :)

I realized this week that I don't know what I don't know.

So then I got a hold of some very good reading material and have started reading about what the leaders in the field of marketing (Digital Marketer) think about/have proven to work in terms of sales. Especially with the restrictions of AdWords and FB ads (content ueber alles). I'm trying to put things into a framework so that I can hang my knowledge within it.

If I understand the paradigm in 2015-2016:
  • The goal nowadays is PIXELING those who click on your ad rather than a cold sales page. Therefore,
  • We're moving AWAY from straight landing pages/sales offer pages
  • We're moving TOWARDS content based websites that give lots of content away AND don't try to hard sell someone right off the bat.
    • (I mean, you can try but it would have to be a soft sell, yes?)
  • You want to provide lots of high-value (depending on the phase):
    • viral versus discover
    • considering versus customer
Plan on re-targeting (via your pixel) those who don't purchase straight off/bounce and bring them back with a discount offer/loss leader offer.

So my question is then, if using FB ads to start:

1) Do you send your FB ad clickers to your content (where there isn't a buy button)?
2) Where does the sales page come in?
3) How do you get them to the sales page?
4) Should your re-targeting offer now be your sales page?

Or am I even asking the right questions. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I'm not yet sending people to content for my own offer, but I'm building a whole seperate content site for this purpose (which will become a 7-8 figure business in itself and my umbrella brand).

So I'm just doing ad -> lp -> profit. Still works great.

The restrictions that the DM guys talk about are mainly for niches that are known to be spammy, like IM, diet, skin, muscle, etc and opt ins in general. FB loves whitehat/legit straight sale advertisers.

Retargeting is 1/4 to 1/3 of my daily revenue, so yes, definitely do that.

I'm doing the content/pixeling model for clients though. Works great :)

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Yes, I just heard today from some people, they're tired of filling in emails, and copy writing, and I think people are aware of they're being sold. I've listened to many people elaborate on this the last few months. I hear from the other end you need to do this, cause this is what business people do. It sells. I'm with you, I'm just learning myself, but when you're actually hearing it from people buying, it sucks to ignore what they're saying.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I'm not yet sending people to content for my own offer, but I'm building a whole seperate content site for this purpose (which will become a 7-8 figure business in itself and my umbrella brand).

Nice. Thanks for posting that.

The restrictions that the DM guys talk about are mainly for niches that are known to be spammy, like IM, diet, skin, muscle, etc and opt ins in general. FB loves whitehat/legit straight sale advertisers.
Good clarification. So then I need to see if skin care/cosmetics is considered spammy, though I think likely not.

I'm doing the content/pixeling model for clients though. Works great :)
Good to know and I definitely appreciate the comments.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
And yes, I am changing the titles to see what gets a better response. ;) Sorry for the confusion.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Yes, I just heard today from some people, they're tired of filling in emails, and copy writing, and I think people are aware of they're being sold. I've listened to many people elaborate on this the last few months. I hear from the other end you need to do this, cause this is what business people do. It sells. I'm with you, I'm just learning myself, but when you're actually hearing it from people buying, it sucks to ignore what they're saying.
I would *think* that there is a large difference between what people SAY that they will do and what they ACTUALLY do. Hence the need to test/test/test

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Testing is the holy grail :)

Been implementing this new method lately...
Let's see how it goes :)

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas

Yup - this is spot on in my experience as well. I ran a LOT of traffic to a straight sale landing page, was very clear what I was selling, and it did very well.

Content marketing without a direct sales pitch is usually for more experienced marketers, as it's pretty difficult to set up properly (managed email campaigns, opt ins, retargeting, multiple landing pages) and usually requires a well built out funnel

Edit: Oh - and great job on the title. Made me click (although I'm a Gun nut). As you know, headlines are one the most important aspects of Copy Writing :)

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Definitely different rules for different verticals.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Content marketing without a direct sales pitch is usually for more experienced marketers, as it's pretty difficult to set up properly (managed email campaigns, opt ins, retargeting, multiple landing pages) and usually requires a well built out funnel
Thanks, @JasonR. Good to have another example of real world experience.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Edit: Oh - and great job on the title. Made me click (although I'm a Gun nut). As you know, headlines are one the most important aspects of Copy Writing :)
He even split tested the headline haha.

Thanks! This is all new to me but it was fun to see the massive increase in views/responses/likes with a change of headline.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
^^^ Lol... careful with that though if you're using paid media.

With paid media, you don't want to entice clicks that aren't going to convert.

For me, when I'm running paid search campaigns and am focused on getting a tight "search-term -> ad -> landing page" funnel, I'd prefer the "ad -> landing page" being more related (so the ad doesn't appeal to people who wouldn't be interested in the offer), than the "search term -> ad" being more related but a non-relevant landing page (which would attract clicks, but not sales).

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
^^^ Lol... careful with that though if you're using paid media.

With paid media, you don't want to entice clicks that aren't going to convert.

For me, when I'm running paid search campaigns and am focused on getting a tight "search-term -> ad -> landing page" funnel, I'd prefer the "ad -> landing page" being more related (so the ad doesn't appeal to people who wouldn't be interested in the offer), than the "search term -> ad" being more related but a non-relevant landing page (which would attract clicks, but not sales).
Good point.

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
Marketers are going the content way due to search engine updates. They'd still be doing the same old tactics which does not help consumers of that product, but help them stand out of the crowd on search engines.
Its a great move by Google to ensure the content on the web, is actually relevant to what is needed.
We as a company always look out to drive better education to our suspects, to convert them to prospects by having them visit our website and then direct them to the landing page that we want them to take action in, and then it is opt-in contact recorded.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Interesting approach. How is it working out for you?

Tyler Ellison

Digital Advertising Ninja
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 18, 2015
Brazil
There are other reasons to go for the content model.

Remarketing isn't the holy grail, it's just the new way to built a list of targeted prospects that convert better. Email marketing has gotten a lot harder so to build a list it's easier to just pixel the folks onto the list than get them to optin with their email.

Ads that link to content are rarely flagged as spam - which breeds more user trust and less negative feedback. You can go mass market like this because you can reach more people that are in the cold stages and unfamiliar with your brand/product.

The ad networks LOVE ads that go to content because it's what they think their users want. They don't like ads that go to 'BUY NOW' unless you're a major brand store or something. For small businesses to go mass market on a network like Facebook, advertising pre-sell content to mass market builds a funnel that is scalable and profitable.

Oh and the ad networks tend to reward this kind of content with lower CPCs, more serving of the ad impressions, and less scrutiny.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Thanks, Tyler. Especially
the ad networks tend to reward this kind of content with lower CPCs, more serving of the ad impressions, and less scrutiny.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.