The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Going fastlane in Legal (Lawsuits & more)?

Is legal a valid fastlane?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

seomatic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 24, 2011
Germany
What sort of claim and how did it suddenly 10x

what sort of Claim is this? And how on earth did it suddenly 10X ? I have never ever heard of that - suddenly -happening in a Claim.
One part is fixed and one part is performance-based. So we were able to estimate the performance based part finally.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
One part is fixed and one part is performance-based. So we were able to estimate the performance based part finally.
How can a legal claim be performance based. What area of law is this? I’m just intrigued. You don’t need to share detail but just e.g. ‘tort based claim, public sector versus retailer’. I come from a legal background (English law) which is why - to me - much of what you say just doesn’t make sense.

seomatic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 24, 2011
Germany
How can a legal claim be performance based. What area of law is this? I’m just intrigued. You don’t need to share detail but just e.g. ‘tort based claim, public sector versus retailer’. I come from a legal background (English law) which is why - to me - much of what you say just doesn’t make sense.
It's basic commercial law. Quite common practice in Sales or C-Level positions to negotiate a performance bonus. How is UK doing? I guess lawyers are still busy with brexit-related things?

seomatic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 24, 2011
Germany
Alright just a quick update: The case is filled with the court. Everything is paid for and now it's time to wait. My lawyer told me it takes usually a few months till we have a date for the hearing. Most likely there will be some written procedure prior to that.

So I'm using the time to work on my legal tech. Actually there is a lot more compliance involved than expected. I will finish the Beta version this week and then have a lawyer go through everything so we are clean and compliant before we launch. Don't want to do any mistakes regarding privacy laws.

seomatic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 24, 2011
Germany
I have build now the website for my legal tech and went through compliance. Will try to run some ads this week to estimate interest in the product. Just stumbled upon this today :)

newzzy2

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 24, 2019
Then this year I've successfully sued my employer (did it by myself without lawyer) and I noticed that they don't have any clue what they are doing and just hopping most people are lazy or stupid enough to take their BS. Unfortunately I was not interested in school/university to become a lawyer, however I've noticed that their seems to be a crazy amount of opportunities for entrepreneurs. Why become a lawyer when you can just hire them, right?

In some cases - it's better to defend your rights by yourself, especially when you already have some practice in it.

Onakosa

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
In some cases - it's better to defend your rights by yourself, especially when you already have some practice in it.
This is never never ever a good idea. There is a saying, 'the lawyer who defends himself, has a fool for a client'. There is a reason someone once said this.

Jessica Reid

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 9, 2020
New Jersey
I've always been amazed by the mentality in the US.

Somebody looked at you the wrong way? SUE THEM
Did somebody take your parking space? SUE THEM
CUT the queue whilst waiting for the ATM? SUE THEM
Revved their engine in public ? SUE THEM, cause why not?

:) Not all are like this, of course. But nowhere else you see people suing others as much as in the US. Might be wrong though.
Not sure you can do what you want unless you're a lawyer.
Unless you can convince a lawyer to give you a cut, if the case is won.
That may the mentality of lay people in the US but that is wrong. You won't get past an "intake call" with a lawyer with those sort of problems.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hi,

I'm wondering if some fastlaners are successful in Legal?

The reason I'm asking, somehow I get involved into legal action all the time. I'm not really looking for trouble but somehow it just happens. For example I got sued by an international top model once. Then this year I've successfully sued my employer (did it by myself without lawyer) and I noticed that they don't have any clue what they are doing and just hopping most people are lazy or stupid enough to take their BS. Unfortunately I was not interested in school/university to become a lawyer, however I've noticed that their seems to be a crazy amount of opportunities for entrepreneurs. Why become a lawyer when you can just hire them, right?

So my fastlane idea is this: Let's assume a billion dollar industry defrauded people out of their money. I want to help them get their money back and collect a share of the collected money. We don't have class action lawsuits in europe, however I've noticed that something similar exists where people bound together to sue big corporations. So my idea is to make a few millions and then build a solid product in legal tech.

Is this a valid way to make millions or am I forgetting something here?

Whenever I talk to my friends about it, they call me crazy. They would rather get scammed than to fight back. Somehow they see legal action as something bad. That's the only thing holding me back at the moment.
Why don't you just go to law school? I did in my early 40s. If you are going to play this dirty game, you need the education. Other than the money, why would you be interested?

Onakosa

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
Why don't you just go to law school? I did in my early 40s. If you are going to play this dirty game, you need the education. Other than the money, why would you be interested?
That's what I think. The OP (with all respect) seems clueless. Doesn't understand either the subject or the industry.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
That's what I think. The OP (with all respect) seems clueless. Doesn't understand either the subject or the industry.
You seem to be serious, so this is my serious reply to your idea:

I never practiced law. I was an expert witness and I did litigation support in my field of expertise. I was only involved when there was an existing law suit. I'm not sure about your plan to create them. I consider most law suits to be waste of time and money. You never know what you're gonna get in the end. I played with the big boys in Los Angeles for several years before I retired.

Discovery can bury you in depositions, up-front costs, and paperwork. I was hired to sit on teams of experts for different cases. Can you imagine what that team costs the plaintiff for all those up-front retainer fees? Sometimes I was retained just so the other side couldn't hire me. And I never testified, but I collected my fee. Juries are fickle. And it's easy to get thrown out of court for some arcane civil procedures rule. Getting good advice on the jury selection can cost you big bucks. That's where a lot of cases are won before you even get started on the trial. You never know what judge you are going to pull from the pool. You'd better make sure that you make him (her) like you. Those judges have a great deal of discretion in their rulings. Even with a judgement, getting paid is totally iffy. At least, here in the USA, they can drag that pay-off out for years or carve you out of your money in bankruptcy.

You're dreaming of being involved in that world, but that's the big boys playing field. Nuisance suits are usually settled for $5,000. Period. End of story. They are dispatched like a pile of dog poop on their front steps -- with you signing a release form and a non-disclosure agreement.

My bottom line is this -- a bad settlement is better than a good law suit any day.

Good luck on your plan. It has a HUGE learning curve and BIG up front investment costs. I hope you have deep pockets. And it has a low chance of making you big bucks. But, that's just my opinion. Take it for what is it worth to you...

Last edited:

Jessica Reid

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 9, 2020
New Jersey
As I lawyer, I must say, this summary is pretty accurate. I represented 5 Plaintiffs in a major lawsuit against a national multimillion dollar food company. After 5 years of litigating the case and trying the case in federal court with a full on jury, we won on all claims and were awarded monies in the multiple high six figures.

But guess what, during the years of litigating, the company had gone broke and even filed for bankruptcy, so my firm nor the Plaintiffs ever got a dime.

Anyway, like @WJK said, your call.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
As I lawyer, I must say, this summary is pretty accurate. I represented 5 Plaintiffs in a major lawsuit against a national multimillion dollar food company. After 5 years of litigating the case and trying the case in federal court with a full on jury, we won on all claims and were awarded monies in the multiple high six figures.

But guess what, during the years of litigating, the company had gone broke and even filed for bankruptcy, so my firm nor the Plaintiffs ever got a dime.

Anyway, like @WJK said, your call.
And your firm and the plaintiffs paid for all those fee, retainers, salaries, and costs up front to end up with a piece of paper giving you the right to chase your money judgement from a defunct business. Go figure.

I have known of a lot of legal firms that have gone broke over one good lawsuit. They couldn't handle and process the truck loads of papers that the defendants delivered to them, starting in discovery. How could they find that one critical paper in that mountain? They couldn't pay the hundreds of thousands of dollars in costs and fees year after year. Their small group of lawyers would find themselves sitting across the table from an army of opposing legal counsel. Many of these cases become a sea of quick sand that consumes them and their firms. Big settlements sound really sexy. So does winning the lottery.

Jessica Reid

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 9, 2020
New Jersey
And your firm and the plaintiffs paid for all those fee, retainers, salaries, and costs up front to end up with a piece of paper giving you the right to chase your money judgement from a defunct business. Go figure.

I have known of a lot of legal firms that have gone broke over one good lawsuit. They couldn't handle and process the truck loads of papers that the defendants delivered to them, starting in discovery. How could they find that one critical paper in that mountain? They couldn't pay the hundreds of thousands of dollars in costs and fees year after year. Their small group of lawyers would find themselves sitting across the table from an army of opposing legal counsel. Many of these cases become a sea of quick sand that consumes them and their firms. Big settlements sound really sexy. So does winning the lottery.
THIS!!! That's exactly what we got. A piece a paper that was worth absolutely nothing.

I hope "legal" guy can heed from our experience and advice. (Sorry, too tired to scroll to find the author's name)

Onakosa

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
You seem to be serious, so this is my serious reply to your idea:

I never practiced law. I was an expert witness and I did litigation support in my field of expertise. I was only involved when there was an existing law suit. I'm not sure about your plan to create them. I consider most law suits to be waste of time and money. You never know what you're gonna get in the end. I played with the big boys in Los Angeles for several years before I retired.

Discovery can bury you in depositions, up-front costs, and paperwork. I was hired to sit on teams of experts for different cases. Can you imagine what that team costs the plaintiff for all those up-front retainer fees? Sometimes I was retained just so the other side couldn't hire me. And I never testified, but I collected my fee. Juries are fickle. And it's easy to get thrown out of court for some arcane civil procedures rule. Getting good advice on the jury selection can cost you big bucks. That's where a lot of cases are won before you even get started on the trial. You never know what judge you are going to pull from the pool. You'd better make sure that you make him (her) like you. Those judges have a great deal of discretion in their rulings. Even with a judgement, getting paid is totally iffy. At least, here in the USA, they can drag that pay-off out for years or carve you out of your money in bankruptcy.

You're dreaming of being involved in that world, but that's the big boys playing field. Nuisance suits are usually settled for $5,000. Period. End of story. They are dispatched like a pile of dog poop on their front steps -- with you signing a release form and a non-disclosure agreement.

My bottom line is this -- a bad settlement is better than a good law suit any day.

Good luck on your plan. It has a HUGE learning curve and BIG up front investment costs. I hope you have deep pockets. And it has a low chance of making you big bucks. But, that's just my opinion. Take it for what is it worth to you...
Why are you referencing me in this post?

Onakosa

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
You're right, but you appeared to jumping on board. It should be primarily toward seomatic who started this conversation.
Jumping on board with what? I don't understand the OP's idea and, with respect to the OP, I'm not sure he properly understands it either. That's what I've been saying throughout the whole thread!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Jumping on board with what? I don't understand the OP's idea and, with respect to the OP, I'm not sure he properly understands it either. That's what I've been saying throughout the whole thread!
If I misunderstood you, sorry. Thanks for clarifying.

I too don't think the OP understands what he is doing at all. And he's headed for dragging a whole bunch of people down with him. The attorneys he hires have legal duties that he doesn't share. And they can only withdraw from a case with the judge's permission. I think he's totally over his head.

newzzy2

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 24, 2019

You're right about it. But a lot of people simply may not know which sites to visit, when they need a good and reliable lawyer. Based on my practice in jural deeds, I would recommend this resource ( here: httрs://federal-lawyer.com/employer-defense/ ), because it's one of the most reliable jural companies I've met. I've been comparing them lately.

Last edited:

seomatic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 24, 2011
Germany
I don't know what you're trying to achieve by insulting me and you haven't contributed anything useful, so I would prefer if you use your time otherwise, thanks!

THIS!!! That's exactly what we got. A piece a paper that was worth absolutely nothing.

I hope "legal" guy can heed from our experience and advice. (Sorry, too tired to scroll to find the author's name)
Same here, I'm not trying to become a lawyer. And bad life decisions are not related to my question.

seomatic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 24, 2011
Germany
I took some time off to enjoy the summer. However I also ordered similar court decisions from multiple courts. Unfortunately they are not published online so I had to request them from different local courts. I read them all and spotted a pattern when it comes to the laws and regulations they are referring too and they also referring to each other in some cases. Most of the cases were won by the plaintiff (95%) so I guess the chances are quite decent. I will start promoting my services to customers this week and let's see what happens :)

Also had some conversation with the lawyer who won some of the cases and by targeting a specific audience we might have to chance to make some cases 10x bigger. (Sorry, that I can't give more details at this stage)

Jessica Reid

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 9, 2020
New Jersey
I don't know what you're trying to achieve by insulting me and you haven't contributed anything useful, so I would prefer if you use your time otherwise, thanks!

Same here, I'm not trying to become a lawyer. And bad life decisions are not related to my question.

You didn't get it. Don't worry about it.

Onakosa

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Oct 23, 2020
UK

Easy tiger, no one is "insulting" you. All I said was that, with respect, you don't seem to understand the industry you're trying to break in to. I can't really 'contribute anything useful' as - to my mind - what you are trying to do is a non-starter. I'm not the only person on this thread who both a) has a legal background, and b) thinks you don't understand how legal practice works. Maybe that alone should tell you something?

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
It seems that here are two camps but i write to both:

What i think OP is doing is aiming for low hanging fruits.
Cases that are easy (are there easy cases?) that might be somehow automated/optimized.

The risk is that he will get into cases that will ruin him.
The promised reward is that he will automate some of them to the point of profitability.

Bit uncharted territory.

Last edited:

Onakosa

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
It seems that here are two camps but i write to both:

What i think OP is doing is aiming for low hanging fruits.
Cases that are easy (are there easy cases?) that might be somehow automated/optimized.

The risk is that he will get into cases that will ruin him.
The promised reward is that he will automate some of them to the point of profitability.

Bit uncharted territory.
It’s not at all ‘uncharted’. There are businesses (in the UK) that do nothing except this. Low-level PI and debt work. This is what I kinda meant about the OP - to my mind - not understanding the industry. I could be wrong tho.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
A valid fastlane… Of course, but with all things government, it’s taking (with violence) not making.

So it isn’t win-win. It isn’t capitalist.

Like it or not, this is the system we have and I wish I had some lawyer skills.

seomatic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 24, 2011
Germany
A valid fastlane… Of course, but with all things government, it’s taking (with violence) not making.

So it isn’t win-win. It isn’t capitalist.

Like it or not, this is the system we have and I wish I had some lawyer skills.
Well it is a service provided to consumers. Currently the big corporations have big legal and compliance teams and the consumers have nothing because it's not worth hiring a lawyer for a single case. We are leveling the playing field by destroying this advantage. If a big corporation decides to break the law and defrauds it's costumers I have no sympathy for them. We're not going after small business obviously.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.