The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Give Value First (thoughts on feeling lost at the start of the process)

Anything related to matters of the mind

Simplify

Thrive
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
May 17, 2019
Ireland
So, you have decided that you want to "give the fastlane a go" and you have read the 2 books and are feeling motivated. You write a motivational introduction to the forum and then a few weeks go by...

The initial motivation for "fastlane" has waned and now you are on the forum as a "lurker" looking to GET value from everyone and then you read one more book to GET value from the author.

Does this sound familiar??

Well if business is all about GIVING value, then when exactly do you start to GIVE because this whole start of the process has been focused on what information and knowledge can I GET.

Firstly, you can start GIVING value from Day 1! What do you know that could help someone else? What are you struggling with that you can SHARE? Will the SHARING (in other words: giving) of this struggle happen to start a conversation so that others don't feel as alone in the process and maybe as a result of SHARING your experience and struggles then answers may appear in that thread.

We believe that we need to gain all of our knowledge and value from the outside. That we have no value to give and our value bank is empty. You can provide value by sharing your problems so that someone doesn't feel alone. You can share value by answering a question on a thread. You can give value by smiling at someone on the street.

So, why am I writing this post?

Well, truth is, I am feeling lost in the process of starting down the entrepreneurial path. I am struggling with the thoughts that I have no value to give. I realize that the whole process is about GIVING VALUE but I don't know when I can start giving.

But I listened to a radio interview from @Andy Black and he mentioned the importance of helping people and using that mindset in business.

So, I decided that I would provide a little bit of value to those that are feeling information overload, action-fakers, and forum lurkers struggling to get going on their entrepreneurial journeys.

Do an Input Declutter

I read a book recently called "Digital Minimalism" by Cal Newport and he recommends a process called a "Digital Declutter". During this 30 day process you eliminate all "optional" technologies from your life for 30 days and then rebuild your digital life at the end of the month. The technologies that you allow back into your life have to pass a number of tests and should be used to SUPPORT something that you truly value. This will eliminate a lot of the technology that you currently engage with.

An Input Declutter: An input declutter takes this process a step further. You will be eliminating all optional "inputs" from your life. Inputs meaning things from outside yourself providing you with information and stimulus. When you are in a "value taking" mode of being it is difficult to get out of it. This input declutter basically turns off the consumer in you.

How to do it?
  1. Stop consuming media for 30 days (books, TV, netflix, social media, video games, movies, radio, this forum)
  2. Replace the consuming behaviours (above) with production behaviours (playing an instrument, playing a sport, producing ideas, writing, having a conversation)
  3. When you get bored or restless (and you will), instead of consuming just write down your thoughts and work through the feelings on paper
Effects of the input declutter
  • Reverse the addictive consumer behaviours that have become unconscious habit
  • Generate solutions to problems in your life through your own inner wisdom (through writing in a journal)
  • Becoming a net producer rather than a net consumer

Why do an Input Declutter?

In this day an age, especially for the younger generation, we have lost confidence in our own inner wisdom and knowing. We think all the answers to all of our problems lie in an article, a forum thread, a new book, a youtube video, etc. This declutter process will force you into facing your problems head on and coming up with solutions on your own. Bored? Then write it out and you will eventually find something to do other than distracting the boredom with consumption of mindless media. A comfidence issue? Don't read the next book or youtube video on how to be more confident and instead have an inner dialogue with yourself through writing and see what answers are uncovered. You will realise that you have more answers to your problems than you think you had before. You have become a problem solver on a personal level.

After the input declutter

Once the 30 days are over then think clearly about the inputs that will be allowed back into your life. Before you engage with a certain platform think how you can add value. Enter the fastlane forum with the question: "How can I give value to the forum?". Meeting a friend for a coffee: "How can I give value to my friend?". Once you stop consuming out of habit you will realize why you did it in the first place: to relieve boredom, to entertain yourself, to gain knowledge. All these things are focused on what you can GET from these platforms. This has turned us into a selfish bunch. Once you start solving your own problems then you won't rely on other things to make you feel good. Once you feel good by yourself you can start to give to others.

Key Takeaway

A few things that you can take away today. Business is all about GIVING Value but we are stuck in a TAKING mentality. Once you take away the inputs and you can't TAKE anymore then you are forced to solve your personal problems yourself. You are forced to become a NET PRODUCER rather than a net consumer. When you reengage with these platforms (Youtube, Fastlane Forum, etc) think how can I add value here rather than what can I gain. When you start focusing on adding value first then it takes the pressure off you in a way because you are approaching it with an ABUNDANCE mentality rather than a scarcity mentality.

This is just something that has helped me with information overload and feeling lost and not having direction. Stop listening as much to the inputs of other people's minds and start trusting yourself a little bit more. Then start GIVING before you think about taking. Be a Producer of Value and not a consumer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
How to do it?
  1. Stop consuming media for 30 days (books, TV, netflix, social media, video games, movies, radio, this forum)
  2. Replace the consuming behaviours (above) with production behaviours (playing an instrument, playing a sport, producing ideas, writing, having a conversation)
  3. When you get bored or restless (and you will), instead of consuming just write down your thoughts and work through the feelings on paper
Effects of the input declutter
  • Reverse the addictive consumer behaviours that have become unconscious habit
  • Generate solutions to problems in your life through your own inner wisdom (through writing in a journal)
  • Becoming a net producer rather than a net consumer
Why do an Input Declutter?

In this day an age, especially for the younger generation, we have lost confidence in our own inner wisdom and knowing. We think all the answers to all of our problems lie in an article, a forum thread, a new book, a youtube video, etc. This declutter process will force you into facing your problems head on and coming up with solutions on your own. Bored? Then write it out and you will eventually find something to do other than distracting the boredom with consumption of mindless media. A comfidence issue? Don't read the next book or youtube video on how to be more confident and instead have an inner dialogue with yourself through writing and see what answers are uncovered. You will realise that you have more answers to your problems than you think you had before. You have become a problem solver on a personal level.

Right on.

G. Wellthy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 21, 2018
Thanks for posting. You give you give you give TO ASK (not to get)

Once providing value, it feels so much safer and easier to ask to be paid to add additional value.

I think in the marketing book Influence, this is described psychologically as the guilt-driven desire to repay once indebted to someone...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.