The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting no support or respect from close friends

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think jealousy is the issue, first the inheritance, second in that you don't have to work.

This is common with folks here as we all strive for purpose and financial independence. The rest of the world is OK mired in mediocrity and a professional football game once a week.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think you need some new friends. Not saying you should dump your old ones, but your old ones will fade out as you pursue your new dreams. People that are stuck where they're at get jealous of people that break out of the old molds. They also don't know how to relate to people like you.

Question for you: how are you going to support yourself with travel writing? Unless you inherited millions / and manage it well, you'll need a full time income at some point.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Now that I'm all caught up, I'm starting to feel differently about this forum. I did get more support than I did from my friends, but I also got a lot of "You're not doing this right.” Maybe I am not in the right place here either.

I am not trying to be a millionaire. It would be nice, but more than anything I want to live each day doing what I love. I don't need a million dollars to do that. I misunderstood this group, I thought it was for all entrepreneurs, even the ones who have minimalist simple dreams and goals.

Everyone here is trying to show you a different perspective. You got some money and are doing something that you like. You don’t have a business yet.

You are doing it wrong. I don’t understand your answer about the world needing travel blogs. The question is does the world need another travel blog. How is your travel blog going to be different than the other current travel blogs out there?

At the rate you are going you are going to run out of money and have no business eventually. You say you’ve been reading about business for 10 years. It doesn’t matter if you want to make $25k or $1m, the principles are the same. Don’t use that excuse to discount our advice or our questions here.

It will be very hard to make even $100/mo on a travel blog. Especially if you are traveling in a radius of 6 hours from your home. You purchased a course and haven’t implemented it yet. We understand that you are very excited about your new business venture. However excitement doesn’t pay the bills.

Honestly, to an outsider it really does look like you just took time off and travel around your local states and are upset that your friends didn’t “like” your posts.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
For the moment I am living off an inheritance, I have about another year left til I run out but I plan to get a part time job over the winter so I for sure won't have to work next summer, that is when I do all of my traveling. I don't need to work full time though, my rent is only $300 a month and I have to take a required minimum withdrawal of about $5000 a year from an inherited IRA, which covers my rent and then some.

I am a little confused when I read the above statement, because the title of the post led me to believe you are making money from your travel writing, or at the very least you're on your way to doing that. However it sounds like you're not even that bothered if your travel writing funds your lifestyle, more so that visiting places and experiencing new things is your passion.

You said that one of your friends said something along the lines of; "you haven't found your path yet".
I can see why she would say something like that, because from your above statement it seems like you are just drifting around waiting for something to happen.

Maybe the problem is you haven't actually articulated that you want to be a successful travel writer, and perhaps you haven't done that because you don't actually want to... I get it though, you would like some kind of validation and for your friends to be happy about your new situation.

Maybe they are happy for you, just not constantly. Plus what do you say to someone who has inherited a load of money and is now travelling around the world having a laugh; well done?

Also have you considered the fact that even though you're loaded now, they just want to treat you the same as they always have.

I also have very wealthy friends whom have inherited wealth, but that's by the by, I don't want them to think I'm just interested in them for their money.

Anyways, you're going to get a lot more info talking to them than us. Just straight up tell them that you're not feeling supported/loved.

Good luck in your travels.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Some of your remarks are confusing and scary.
Are you living off the inheritance for your lifetime or until the money runs out?
Why aren't you using your pile of cash to build your money system?
Ugh that sucks though when friends you've had for most of your life (or even half of it) lack the ability to say something simple as "That's awesome!" That is really all I would like from them.

For the moment I am living off an inheritance, I have about another year left til I run out but I plan to get a part time job over the winter so I for sure won't have to work next summer, that is when I do all of my traveling. I don't need to work full time though, my rent is only $300 a month and I have to take a required minimum withdrawal of about $5000 a year from an inherited IRA, which covers my rent and then some.
Wait, what?
Some of your remarks are confusing and downright scary.
Are you living off the inheritance until the money runs out?
That's crazy. You're in your forties. What are your plans to take care of Old Gaia Goddess?
Why aren't you using your pile of cash to build your money system right now?
You need to read MJ DeMarco's books RIGHT NOW. This forum is not for passion pursuits as much as it is for people who don't want slow or chaotic (like you) sources of income. You need help with developing self-reliance, my bae.
You haven't published the blog yet? You haven't earned income from it so far? You're in a fantasy land. Maybe that is why folks don't know what to say.
Get to work.
You know why you're focusing on this problem with friends? You're avoiding the real pain, how to get your life together. And the hard work involved.
Your mindset is set on self-destruct. Right? Where's your blog?

OK now get to work and keep in touch.
Get "The Millionaire Fastlane ." Immediately, GG.
You're in trouble. We're here. S'ya.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Some of your remarks are confusing and scary.
Are you living off the inheritance for your lifetime or until the money runs out?
Why aren't you using your pile of cash to build your money system?

Wait, what?
Some of your remarks are confusing and downright scary.
Are you living off the inheritance until the money runs out?
That's crazy. You're in your forties. What are your plans to take care of Old Gaia Goddess?
Why aren't you using your pile of cash to build your money system right now?
You need to read MJ DeMarco's books RIGHT NOW. This forum is not for passion pursuits as much as it is for people who don't want slow or chaotic (like you) sources of income. You need help with developing self-reliance, my bae.
You haven't published the blog yet? You haven't earned income from it so far? You're in a fantasy land. Maybe that is why folks don't know what to say.
Get to work.
You know why you're focusing on this problem with friends? You're avoiding the real pain, how to get your life together. And the hard work involved.
Your mindset is set on self-destruct. Right? Where's your blog?

OK now get to work and keep in touch.
Get "The Millionaire Fastlane ." Immediately, GG.
You're in trouble. We're here. S'ya.

This.

This whole thread is a trainwreck waiting to happen.

You're not "living your passion". You're momentarily cashing in at the expense of your future.

For the moment I am living off an inheritance, I have about another year left til I run out but I plan to get a part time job over the winter so I for sure won't have to work next summer, that is when I do all of my traveling.

In a year you're out of actual money, and then left with $5k per year from the "inheritance". There's a countdown on your "happiness".

I live in a small town where most people get drunk and do drugs.

This explains the reaction from a lot of your friends. You're surrounding yourself with the wrong people.

That is partially why I post things on my Facebook page, I haven't started my blog yet, just written a bunch of posts but I just started a course on it so I haven't gotten to the part yet about picking your blog name.

Stop pushing your "business" onto your friends. Make a blog today. You can even make one for free. Or an Instagram. Push towards monetization.

However, my bet is that travel blogs are ultra competitive and that it will take you years of study to get good at running one.

Last year I invested a lot of money in Inbox Blueprint by Anik Singal, i'm sure some people in here know about him and that program.

I don't think anyone here knows about him, and that you got suckered in with money chasing dreams instead of value-centric dreams.

Then I invested a lot of money in Sitesell where you create a website based on your passion, they are proven to be some of the most successful websites out there. I didn't know what my passion was at the time, I thought it was holistic health, so I started it based around that. But then I found out Google doesn't give you traffic to your website if it's about health and you have no credentials. Another costly mistake.

This sounds like another bullshit guru course.

Stop using the word "invested", and start using the phrase "wasted".

My words are harsh, but the faster you realize that most of these "courses" and "gurus" have vastly more failures than successes amongst student, then you'll better identify which information is valuable and which is a waste of time when it comes your way.

Last year I invested a lot of money in Inbox Blueprint by Anik Singal, i'm sure some people in here know about him and that program. Well turns out I am not cut out for affiliate marketing. Then I invested a lot of money in Sitesell where you create a website based on your passion, they are proven to be some of the most successful websites out there. I didn't know what my passion was at the time, I thought it was holistic health, so I started it based around that. But then I found out Google doesn't give you traffic to your website if it's about health and you have no credentials. Another costly mistake. So then I just got frustrated with building something online and focused on enjoying my life and not trying to think so hard about it. So I spent my time camping and taking pictures and sharing my travels on FB. That's when I realized that I was already doing what I wanted to do, and got an email from one of the biggest travel writing businesses about a workshop that teaches you how to earn money traveling and taking pictures. Ah-ha moment!

I'm genuinely sad reading your post, because if you're like most people in your situation, then it will take you at least 3-5 years before you realize that you're on the wrong path. By that point, your upfront inheritance will have run out, you'll have stopped traveling, and you'll be back to slaving away at the same station in life that you were at before. You're having trouble identifying which information is valuable and which is guru bullshit. You're being led astray. If I were you, I'd start by creating a thread on this forum and letting people give feedback on your plans/sharing what you're doing/etc. That's your best bet. Otherwise, you're just relying on your own misguided decision making, which I'd bet 100-1 odds will lead you towards failure.

Last edited:

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
So just to be clear, you have written 24457 characters (give or take)
and gained, learned nothing.

A year and a half ago I quit my job (I had an inheritance to fall back on)
As mentioned above this will run out.

to focus on finding my passion, which ended up being travel writing/blogging and photography. I have never been happier in my life. Whenever I post on Facebook about my travels, none of my close friends like the posts
The issue here isn't that your friends like or dislike the posts, its that you are on Facebook.
facebook. will. not. make. you. money.

Travel agencies are not visiting your page.
People who travel are not visiting your page.
You are using a free platform to post free posts.
You are not making any income from those posts.
You will continue to not make any income from writing on Facebook.
Facebook will not pay you to write articles on their site.
Your friends should not be your bushiness plan.
Your friends will not pay you to read posts written on facebook.

At this point in time here's what you are doing.
#1: not making any money.
#2: wasting time on facebook.
#3 using a quickly depleting inheritance.

whenever I talk about it with them, they act like they dont care.
Probably because they don't.
facebook makes people depressed!
Your friends don't want to see posts about vacations becvause they are't traveling.
and you shouldn't be using your inheritance to travel.
Again, you are depleting your resources wasting them on something that doesn't mater.
Is it fun to travel? YES! does is make money? not unless you can figure out a way to make it pay you.
which it won't on facebook.

One friend who has been practically my best friend for 30 years has still not said a single word...
Again. doesn't matter. if your goal is making money you shouldn't be relying on friends.

Everyone that knows me knows that I have been struggling ..
this is quite literately fluff.

when I finally found it I barely got any comments from my closest friends about it, online and in person.
Do you want comments?
Why do you seek social validation?

Even before my life changed
Are you speaking about your inheritance? if so please be aware your life will change again WHEN it's gone.

working 65 hours a week in a factory and never going anywhere, my friends didn't seem to care about my life.
I'm a say you have sucky a$$ friends. The time frame you know them is irrelivant.
Also you have slow lane friends. They will moan and complain, exactly how you are in this sentance. the question is who comes out on top.. by finding their path>?

or acknowledged anything
FLUFF.

I posted on another forum asking why I am getting more support and respect from acquaintances than from my close friends

and most of them responded with "Nobody likes people who gloat and brag about how awesome their life is and how many places they visit."

Backup.
You posted on another forum, about how when you post things on facebook your friends don't reply/like/click buttons?
Crikey.

allright. well I agree with them.

Your slow-lane friends, are not going to enjoy your slow-lane posts about how you are using your inheritance to travel and post it on facebook. Feel free to ask another forum.

So you would think they would at least acknowledge my recent news and be happy for me now.

No I do not. I expect they would shun you, whisper behind your back, make snide remarks, and NOT be your friend because A: they are terrible friends get some real ones, B: you are in fact posting about your trips and asking for social validation.
What I DO expect is in about 12 month you'll be out of $ if you don't make some changes.
And they will crawl out of the woodwork like the slimy worms they are to wrap you in worm-hugs while you send thoughts and prayers to each other.

But these are my most popular posts.
Social Validation Request

So now what am I supposed to do, never post on FB about my life?!

I'd sugest you get your buttocks off Facebook. it's a social chamber for you to yell your woes into.

Travel writers are supposed to

YOU ARE NOT A TRAVEL WRITER!!!!!
You are someone who is using their inheritance to spend money.
You are writing on Facebook.
Do you want to become a travel writer? get a job doing so.
Find a way where you are making money not spending it.

I feel like my friends don't care at all
Probally because they don't

that I have finally found my purpose, I feel alone in my journey to living my dream life.
Your purpose is spending your inheritance on trips until it depletes?
Cm'on. find somethinfg that really helps you.
Work on a resort. Become a airplane attendant. Do something where you get paid to travel.
Writing on Facebook is doing nothing for you and deep down you know it. Otherwise you wouldn't be jumping from forum to forum seeking social validation, kudos and pats on the back.. on your posts for which you seek social validation, kudos and pats on the back.

I need support and respect and I am not getting it from any of my close friends,
Then get new friends.

and I don't know what to do about it. I don't want to stop posting on FB because that is something I need to do for my future career. Any advice?

no it is NOT!!!

Any advice?

Get off facebook.
Find a job that allows you to travel.

For the moment I am living off an inheritance
I'm aware.

I have about another year left til I run out.
but I plan to get a part time job over the winter so I for sure won't have to work next summer, that is when I do all of my traveling.

Seriously just read what you wrote.

I do need to find like minded people, I just don't know where around here. I live in a small town where most people get drunk and do drugs.

Lady, the town I'm in was investigated by the FBI for 5 years for a cult.
There's been meth labs in the city, and I'm surrounded. Read SURROUNDED by pedophiles.
As in each side of the road has one.

Don't give me crap about your situation. Your surrounding area doesn't matter as long as you have
Clean Water
Food
A roof.

You can figure things out.
There is a handless man who makes bikes.
The question is do you want to?

Well it doesn't suddenly matter, it has always mattered, but I guess my point is that friends are supposed to support you and now that I found out they don't, it's a harsh reality I have to accept. These are people I have known anywhere from 3-30 years so it's just shocking that they can't even give me a quick "That's awesome!"

a quick "That's awesome!"doesn't make you money.
I don't care how long you knew these people. it's time to move on.

You then go on about personal details..

Yeah, I've joined a few travel blogging groups so hopefully I can network with some people in there!
on FACEBOOK?!?

so everyone there is "my tribe" (hippies, basically, lol)

That's racist.

I guess to answer your questions, my criteria would be knowing someone for at least a few years,
You are how old already?
You want to know someone for years and years.. then what. buy a domain name?
Lady please find something else.

The confusing thing is though that all of my friends talk about how awesome their jobs are

social validation request

They also post stuff all over FB about their vacations and good news, so that part confuses me, how can they expect me to like their posts but they don't like mine when they are so similar.

Because it's a social validation request

I have never been jealous (in a bad way) of other people's success.
To me, those posts are inspiring and give me ideas for how I want my life to look. In fact I started following travelers and bloggers long before I even had a camper, about ten years before. It helped me dream and create the life I wanted. But I can see where someone would get jealous in a bad way if they are unable to change their life.

This is a great viewpoint.

I am not currently making money from travel writing
Again. it's on facebook?

I do have a website that wants me to write for them and I'm doing research and compiling a huge list of magazines and websites that I can pitch to.
NOW we're talking.
no fluff. no My friends think this, I want this My friends that rah-rah..
These are the details that matter. If you can find magazines that you can pitch to that's great.
but it should be on THEIR DIME.

also started taking a travel blogging course
HOLD UP. Full stop.
are are not spending your inheritance on some schemers online courses are you ?
Why would you pay someone to show you how to travel? I thought YOU wanted to be the writer here!?

ut as far as an income, I do plan to get a part-time job in a few weeks so that I'm not burning through my remaining money so quickly, and that will allow me to take next summer off again and do more traveling. I am required to take out about $5000 a year from the inherited IRA, so that helps, and having $300 rent helps, no mortgage payment, no car payment, etc. My
Here it's like your brain turned on and started to process what was going on, but didn't have enough fuel and stuttered to social media hypnosis again.

You. Need. To. Stop. Traveling. Using. Your. Inheritance. Money. So. You. Can. Survive.

I have told my friends I am going to be a travel writer, I posted about it on FB many times
On facebook. On facebook. On facebook. On facebook.

I want you to get a tattoo that says
Faacebook doesn't make you money.

and my best friend still has never liked any of my posts about it

He does nothing but sit on FB all day when he's at work though so maybe he would rather make easy money than write for it, lol
And then the pot called the kettle black

Last year I invested a lot of money in Inbox Blueprint by Anik Singal,

You are a moron.

I have a very simple philosophy.
If I can't fully understand WTF is being sold in 2 mins, I want nothing to do with it.
Their website is so confusing I had to do extra searching to figure out what it is.

Oh. it's a marketing campaign you pay for.
You are wasting your money.

i'm sure some people in here know about him and that program.

Nope. never heard of him. That in itself should be a red flag. This forum you are on is full of poeple who are actually successful in life.

Wanna know how many of those people push email marketing campaigns you pay for to send out emails to other people with products you pay for that you gain commission on if you pay?
Preeeeety sure the number is pretty low.

Because that's a scum setup.

Well turns out I am not cut out for affiliate marketing.
Well it turns out you wasted your money.

Then I invested a lot of money in Sitesell where you create a website based on your passion,

WILL YOU QUIT SIGNING UP FOR THIS SHIT?!!?!?!?!?

they are proven to be some of the most successful websites out there.
aGAIN. nEVER hEARD oF thEm.

Starting to feel like monika from DokiDoki literature club over here.

I didn't know what my passion was at the time, I thought it was holistic health
I refuse to look that up.

But then I found out Google doesn't give you traffic to your website if it's about health and you have no credentials.
Something you should have known before. Also there is a reason for that.

Another costly mistake.
Quit signing up for stuff.

So I spent my time camping and taking pictures and sharing my travels on FB.
Facebook Facebook Facebook..

That's when I realized that I was already doing what I wanted to do, and got an email from one of the biggest travel writing businesses

about a workshop that teaches you how to earn money traveling and taking pictures. Ah-ha moment!

uuuhhhhh... no. I'm starting to think this is a Uh-Oh ''another costly mistake''

The workshop was just 2 weeks ago, and I realized I also wanted to start a blog
so I signed up for a travel blogging course too, which I just started 1 week ago. This is all a new development, that is why I don't have a blog yet.

Again. Off Facebook right!?
Again. you are NOT PAYING for this course right?
Again this is something YOU are being PAID FOR right?

But I have about 10 articles written, ready to go when I get it created.
Well that's good! Maybe you should look into creating a medium blog.

It's free, you don't pay for it and they actually pay you if you get good views.And I have read Unscripted , which did help me get motivated to pursue my passion. Haven't read Millionaire Fastlane yet but it's on my list,

And I have read Unscripted , which did help me get motivated to pursue my passion. Haven't read Millionaire Fastlane yet but it's on my list, I have about 200 books I haven't finished reading and now I have to get this blog going so I might get to it, I might not.
Lady you read that book right now. There is nothing more you need in this life aside from stop spending your inheritance on garbage courses.

If for some reason I can't afford my measly $300 lot rent where I am living now, I have a plan B which is to live on a farm for free in exchange for working there.

I'm legit staring at my coffee trying to think of situations in which a older woman would be useful on a farm. Maybe make a plan C.

As for Anik Singal's program and Sitesell, they are not scams or gurus, I personally know success stories from both of them.

Yeah they are. I bet you your sucess stories come from A: facebook or B: paid actors.

They didn't work FOR ME only because I realized I didn't like affiliate marketing, but since I paid for it, I have access to it for life along with all the courses included.

I also have access to a email address for life.

That is why I called it an investment because I learned a lot.
I think you learned how to waste money.

As for Sitesell, it is a fact that you will not have a successful health-related website unless you have the credentials to back up your information.

Sitesell has the statistics to prove that hundreds of their users' sites rank in the top 0.5% of all websites.

My website is still live, but when I have to renew my hosting
lady if it's not a .com don't

I love Sitesell and want to keep going through them.

...m.. there can be somthign to be said for a easy to use platform. But somehting like Strikingly might be beter for you. Easy to use, you can transfer a domain and they don't lock you out of things like sitesell does.

I might throw a focus on photography, nature, health, spirituality, and/or food since those are my other interests. I will work all this out in the course.

*sound of head banging against desk*

Closing notes:
It's obvious you are passionate about traveling.
If you want to make money doing so, you need to find a company who will pay you to do it. You don't have the focous to do it yourself, and you are extremely scatterbrained. You are also extremely perceptive to online scams. So at this point I'm going to recommend the following.

#1: close your facebook account.

#2 start looking for employment in a area where you travel. You could be a cleaning lady at a resort. You could be a ticketing agent at a airport. There are many ways in which you can have a company pay to have you travel you simply need to find them.

3: this scaterbrained shotgun spray approach to things won't help you.
You need to pick one thing and focus on it... is what I tell most people. in your case however you are so susceptable to online scams, if someone said ''Hey the secret to making money is bathe in battery acid, pay me $6000'' you would most likley do it! The good news is you'd never burn yourself you would simply realize how heavy the containers of acid are, shrug your sholders then complain on Facebook that ''it was too hard, what a good learning experience''

In reality you might always be slow-lane.
If you want to change this, you need to drop your lame a$$ friends.
You need to stop sucking your inheritance because like a bottle of milk it will run dry. And you're running around leaving cups of milk everywhere.

You need direction is what you need.
You need a job that allows you to live better.
and you honestly.. truly..
Need to get the fudge off of Facebook.

Best of luck.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Crabs try and keep everyone else in the bucket.

Get new, highly successful, friends who all have the right mindset.

When I first started my businesses NO ONE believed in me or thought it was possible. I was supposed to either work in a factory or on a corn field my whole life.

Go do you.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I have a couple of thoughts on this. All random and mixed.

1. People don't give 2 shits about other people. Trust me on this.

2. People who you think are your friends, are not your friends.

3. "No prophet is accepted in his home town"

4. Why do you need so much validation from other people?

5. Lions don't lose sleep over the thoughts of sheep

6. People are only interested in themselves, this is like one of the main laws of conversation and sales. It impacts other parts of life too.

7. People only care about the value you give them. What value are your "friends" getting? None.

8. Most things fall into a "season". Maybe certain friends were only a season for you.

9. Don't worry about "why", just move on and learn from the "end result".

10. Only you are accountable for you, so do what's best for you.

Solid Snake

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 23, 2019
USA
common theme among many folks here who's businesses take off.

it's one of those subconscious un obvious things where your friends don't like how you are progressing because it makes them feel bad about themselves. time to find like minded folks.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
It's always funny to see people come here asking for advice, but really wanting to hear confirmation that their website, business, etc... is great. Then when they get a dose of hard truths, they blame the forum and its people and never come back.

I can't imagine any of these people running a business. I mean what happens when you get that first 1 star review? You need to be able to take criticism or you will never make it in the business world.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Because they are my closest friends...I dont know how else to explain it, I have known them for years, one of them for 30 years, another one for like 11 or 12 years at least. These are the people I talk to every day and spend time with.

It hurts when you realize that your "close" friends & "family" really don't give two shits about you. At least, not if you're not doing what they think you should do/want you to do.

I went through what I call "The Great Friend Divorce." It was my entire circle of "friends" .... family was a lost cause looooong before this happened, so... The GFD sucked. I simultaneously moved out from & stopped contacting/initiating with everyone in my friend circle, as I had always suspected they didn't really support/understand me. As a woman in my mid-twenties..... this was hard.

You know what happened?

Absolutely nothing.

And that F*cking hurt the most. The moment I stepped out of denial & looked at the reality of my relationships... that F*cking hurt like a bitch. It stung. It made me simultaneously angry & depressed. I already realized I didn't have much in common with them, but at least they were "friends" -we got along & had a relatively good time together. "Supported" one another. But when it came to effort, real support & caring.... they just didn't that much. Not if it didn't benefit them or align with their norms.

So off I went.... by myself... for a few years.....

Then I, quite literally by astronomical chance, found myself at a Meetup in Scottsdale.

And I've never clicked with a group so hard & so fast in all my life. It was amazing. These people just got me. And supported me. In a way I'd never experienced. And I'd literally just known them for less than 48 hours. It was F*cking amazing. I had found my tribe.

And that was now nearly 10 years ago. And we're still going strong. And when we get together, it's like no time has passed. And they are my favorite people in this world.

And I know what true, real support actually looks like. Time doesn't matter, blood doesn't matter... being real, being supportive & being genuine does.

It can hurt to take an honest look at the relationships in our lives, but it can also lead to the best relationships in our lives.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Also, this thread is the perfect example of how very few people on this forum actually read the posts. Everyone's hopping in to give feedback on the title and original post. Other than a couple posters in this thread, no one's bothering to tell this girl that she's getting suckered.

I wish there was still +Rep so that I could toss it @Bertram 's way.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
A year and a half ago I quit my job (I had an inheritance to fall back on) to focus on finding my passion, which ended up being travel writing/blogging and photography. I have never been happier in my life. Whenever I post on Facebook about my travels, none of my close friends like the posts, and whenever I talk about it with them, they act like they dont care. One friend who has been practically my best friend for 30 years has still not said a single word, or acknowledged anything that I have said about it. Everyone that knows me knows that I have been struggling my entire life to find my purpose, and when I finally found it I barely got any comments from my closest friends about it, online and in person. Even before my life changed, when I was depressed working 65 hours a week in a factory and never going anywhere, my friends didn't seem to care about my life. So you would think they would at least acknowledge my recent news and be happy for me now.

I posted on another forum asking why I am getting more support and respect from acquaintances than from my close friends, and most of them responded with "Nobody likes people who gloat and brag about how awesome their life is and how many places they visit." But these are my most popular posts, it's just that my close friends aren't liking them! I get support from people, just not the ones that matter. So now what am I supposed to do, never post on FB about my life?! Travel writers are supposed to share their trips on Facebook to help build a following, thats just part of their job. I feel like my friends don't care at all that I have finally found my purpose, I feel alone in my journey to living my dream life. One friend asked how I was doing and I said I was doing awesome, I just got back from a camping trip and wrote a bunch of blog posts, and her response was "I've been better, my knee hurts." and then we proceeded to talk about her problems the rest of the night and not another word about my good news. This is a friend I have known for about 13 years.

Another friend who I thought would be supportive, I have known her for 3 years, whenever we get on the subject of my recent news, she says things like (paraphrasing here) "Well you must not be on the right path yet since you are still living in a trailer park." She's one to talk, she has been complaining for 3 years about living in a cheap apartment with no running water and she is afraid to have someone come fix it because there is no path to get to the bathroom because she is a hoarder.

I need support and respect and I am not getting it from any of my close friends, and I don't know what to do about it. I don't want to stop posting on FB because that is something I need to do for my future career. Any advice?

Gonna be devil's advocate here.
When you worked your 65 hour factory job, would you really give a shit if some friend of yours posted yet another glowing photograph of their wonderful passionate life, especially one that you got at least partially due to a lucky inheritance.
Maybe your friends are just miserable with their lives too.
Don't take it personal, find some new friends who are in a good place in life but don't hate or feel betrayed by your old friends. It is what it is.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Because they are my closest friends...I dont know how else to explain it, I have known them for years, one of them for 30 years, another one for like 11 or 12 years at least. These are the people I talk to every day and spend time with.

To reframe, what’s the criteria for someone’s opinion to matter to you?

That you know them a while? That they share your genes?

Then, what SHOULD your criteria be?

That their actions show they care about you? That they give you unconditional positive regard? That they challenge you? That they add something to your life?

My hypothesis is that you’re going through something very common for people who are self-aware: realizing the people who you thought mattered don’t actually matter when you start to examine why people SHOULD matter.

And the next step after that, to truly transcend, is to realize no one‘s opinions matter for your own journey aside from your own opinions.

Once you get there, whatever these people are doing (or not doing) will not bother you at all. They can do them, and you can do you.

Abrodos

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 25, 2019
Barcelona, Spain
Don't want to be harsh, but we've got an idiom in Spanish that says "there's none so deaf as those who will not hear."
You have written over 150 lines of text, maybe 200, in 3 days, just replying to the advice given instead of accepting it and implementing it. This ability could have been spent writing one or two blog posts.

I'm very proud of my artistic abilities and the time invested in learning them, and I have them in great consideration.
And I'm planning a CENTS based business venture, to which people are reacting very well. But in the end, the ultimate truth is that I'm earning 1000$ a month from other stuff, not more. Everything else is just smoke. All the plans, the designs I'm sharing with my potential clients, are smoke until I've sold them something. All the "potential" clients are not clients as long as they don't buy anything.

So, in order to keep advancing, I suggest you don't reply to any more comments and instead, you post some of your articles here, so the good writers in the forum can help improve your blog posts.

That, and only that, is "taking action".

Everything else, is just smoke.

Good luck with the travel blog :)

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
So just to be clear, you have written 24457 characters (give or take)
and gained, learned nothing.

A year and a half ago I quit my job (I had an inheritance to fall back on)
As mentioned above this will run out.

to focus on finding my passion, which ended up being travel writing/blogging and photography. I have never been happier in my life. Whenever I post on Facebook about my travels, none of my close friends like the posts
The issue here isn't that your friends like or dislike the posts, its that you are on Facebook.
facebook. will. not. make. you. money.

Travel agencies are not visiting your page.
People who travel are not visiting your page.
You are using a free platform to post free posts.
You are not making any income from those posts.
You will continue to not make any income from writing on Facebook.
Facebook will not pay you to write articles on their site.
Your friends should not be your bushiness plan.
Your friends will not pay you to read posts written on facebook.

At this point in time here's what you are doing.
#1: not making any money.
#2: wasting time on facebook.
#3 using a quickly depleting inheritance.

whenever I talk about it with them, they act like they dont care.
Probably because they don't.
facebook makes people depressed!
Your friends don't want to see posts about vacations becvause they are't traveling.
and you shouldn't be using your inheritance to travel.
Again, you are depleting your resources wasting them on something that doesn't mater.
Is it fun to travel? YES! does is make money? not unless you can figure out a way to make it pay you.
which it won't on facebook.

One friend who has been practically my best friend for 30 years has still not said a single word...
Again. doesn't matter. if your goal is making money you shouldn't be relying on friends.

Everyone that knows me knows that I have been struggling ..
this is quite literately fluff.

when I finally found it I barely got any comments from my closest friends about it, online and in person.
Do you want comments?
Why do you seek social validation?

Even before my life changed
Are you speaking about your inheritance? if so please be aware your life will change again WHEN it's gone.

working 65 hours a week in a factory and never going anywhere, my friends didn't seem to care about my life.
I'm a say you have sucky a$$ friends. The time frame you know them is irrelivant.
Also you have slow lane friends. They will moan and complain, exactly how you are in this sentance. the question is who comes out on top.. by finding their path>?

or acknowledged anything
FLUFF.

I posted on another forum asking why I am getting more support and respect from acquaintances than from my close friends

and most of them responded with "Nobody likes people who gloat and brag about how awesome their life is and how many places they visit."

Backup.
You posted on another forum, about how when you post things on facebook your friends don't reply/like/click buttons?
Crikey.

allright. well I agree with them.

Your slow-lane friends, are not going to enjoy your slow-lane posts about how you are using your inheritance to travel and post it on facebook. Feel free to ask another forum.

So you would think they would at least acknowledge my recent news and be happy for me now.

No I do not. I expect they would shun you, whisper behind your back, make snide remarks, and NOT be your friend because A: they are terrible friends get some real ones, B: you are in fact posting about your trips and asking for social validation.
What I DO expect is in about 12 month you'll be out of $ if you don't make some changes.
And they will crawl out of the woodwork like the slimy worms they are to wrap you in worm-hugs while you send thoughts and prayers to each other.

But these are my most popular posts.

So now what am I supposed to do, never post on FB about my life?!
I'd sugest you get your buttocks off Facebook. it's a social chamber for you to yell your woes into.

Travel writers are supposed to

YOU ARE NOT A TRAVEL WRITER!!!!!
You are someone who is using their inheritance to spend money.
You are writing on Facebook.
Do you want to become a travel writer? get a job doing so.
Find a way where you are making money not spending it.

I feel like my friends don't care at all
Probally because they don't

that I have finally found my purpose, I feel alone in my journey to living my dream life.
Your purpose is spending your inheritance on trips until it depletes?
Cm'on. find somethinfg that really helps you.
Work on a resort. Become a airplane attendant. Do something where you get paid to travel.
Writing on Facebook is doing nothing for you and deep down you know it. Otherwise you wouldn't be jumping from forum to forum seeking social validation, kudos and pats on the back.. on your posts for which you seek social validation, kudos and pats on the back.

I need support and respect and I am not getting it from any of my close friends,
Then get new friends.

and I don't know what to do about it. I don't want to stop posting on FB because that is something I need to do for my future career. Any advice?

no it is NOT!!!

Any advice?

Get off facebook.
Find a job that allows you to travel.

For the moment I am living off an inheritance
I'm aware.

I have about another year left til I run out.
but I plan to get a part time job over the winter so I for sure won't have to work next summer, that is when I do all of my traveling.

Seriously just read what you wrote.

I do need to find like minded people, I just don't know where around here. I live in a small town where most people get drunk and do drugs.

Lady, the town I'm in was investigated by the FBI for 5 years for a cult.
There's been meth labs in the city, and I'm surrounded. Read SURROUNDED by pedophiles.
As in each side of the road has one.

Don't give me crap about your situation. Your surrounding area doesn't matter as long as you have
Clean Water
Food
A roof.

You can figure things out.
There is a handless man who makes bikes.
The question is do you want to?

Well it doesn't suddenly matter, it has always mattered, but I guess my point is that friends are supposed to support you and now that I found out they don't, it's a harsh reality I have to accept. These are people I have known anywhere from 3-30 years so it's just shocking that they can't even give me a quick "That's awesome!"

a quick "That's awesome!"doesn't make you money.
I don't care how long you knew these people. it's time to move on.

You then go on about personal details..

Yeah, I've joined a few travel blogging groups so hopefully I can network with some people in there!
on FACEBOOK?!?

so everyone there is "my tribe" (hippies, basically, lol)

That's racist.

I guess to answer your questions, my criteria would be knowing someone for at least a few years,
You are how old already?
You want to know someone for years and years.. then what. buy a domain name?
Lady please find something else.

The confusing thing is though that all of my friends talk about how awesome their jobs are

social validation request

They also post stuff all over FB about their vacations and good news, so that part confuses me, how can they expect me to like their posts but they don't like mine when they are so similar.
Because it's a social validation request

I have never been jealous (in a bad way) of other people's success.
To me, those posts are inspiring and give me ideas for how I want my life to look. In fact I started following travelers and bloggers long before I even had a camper, about ten years before. It helped me dream and create the life I wanted. But I can see where someone would get jealous in a bad way if they are unable to change their life.

This is a great viewpoint.

I am not currently making money from travel writing
Again. it's on facebook?

I do have a website that wants me to write for them and I'm doing research and compiling a huge list of magazines and websites that I can pitch to.
NOW we're talking.
no fluff. no My friends think this, I want this My friends that rah-rah..
These are the details that matter. If you can find magazines that you can pitch to that's great.
but it should be on THEIR DIME.

also started taking a travel blogging course
HOLD UP. Full stop.
are are not spending your inheritance on some schemers online courses are you ?
Why would you pay someone to show you how to travel? I thought YOU wanted to be the writer here!?

ut as far as an income, I do plan to get a part-time job in a few weeks so that I'm not burning through my remaining money so quickly, and that will allow me to take next summer off again and do more traveling. I am required to take out about $5000 a year from the inherited IRA, so that helps, and having $300 rent helps, no mortgage payment, no car payment, etc. My
Here it's like your brain turned on and started to process what was going on, but didn't have enough fuel and stuttered to social media hypnosis again.

You. Need. To. Stop. Traveling. Using. Your. Inheritance. Money. So. You. Can. Survive.

I have told my friends I am going to be a travel writer, I posted about it on FB many times
On facebook. On facebook. On facebook. On facebook.

I want you to get a tattoo that says
Faacebook doesn't make you money.

and my best friend still has never liked any of my posts about it

He does nothing but sit on FB all day when he's at work though so maybe he would rather make easy money than write for it, lol
And then the pot called the kettle black

Last year I invested a lot of money in Inbox Blueprint by Anik Singal,
You are a moron.

I have a very simple philosophy.
If I can't fully understand WTF is being sold in 2 mins, I want nothing to do with it.
Their website is so confusing I had to do extra searching to figure out what it is.

Oh. it's a marketing campaign you pay for.
You are wasting your money.

i'm sure some people in here know about him and that program.
Nope. never heard of him. That in itself should be a red flag. This forum you are on is full of poeple who are actually successful in life.

Wanna know how many of those people push email marketing campaigns you pay for to send out emails to other people with products you pay for that you gain commission on if you pay?
Preeeeety sure the number is pretty low.

Because that's a scum setup.

Well turns out I am not cut out for affiliate marketing.
Well it turns out you wasted your money.

Then I invested a lot of money in Sitesell where you create a website based on your passion,

WILL YOU QUIT SIGNING UP FOR THIS SHIT?!!?!?!?!?

they are proven to be some of the most successful websites out there.
aGAIN. nEVER hEARD oF thEm.

Starting to feel like monika from DokiDoki literature club over here.

I didn't know what my passion was at the time, I thought it was holistic health
I refuse to look that up.

But then I found out Google doesn't give you traffic to your website if it's about health and you have no credentials.
Something you should have known before. Also there is a reason for that.

Another costly mistake.
Quit signing up for stuff.

So I spent my time camping and taking pictures and sharing my travels on FB.
Facebook Facebook Facebook..

That's when I realized that I was already doing what I wanted to do, and got an email from one of the biggest travel writing businesses

about a workshop that teaches you how to earn money traveling and taking pictures. Ah-ha moment!

uuuhhhhh... no. I'm starting to think this is a Uh-Oh ''another costly mistake''

The workshop was just 2 weeks ago, and I realized I also wanted to start a blog
so I signed up for a travel blogging course too, which I just started 1 week ago. This is all a new development, that is why I don't have a blog yet.

Again. Off Facebook right!?
Again. you are NOT PAYING for this course right?
Again this is something YOU are being PAID FOR right?

But I have about 10 articles written, ready to go when I get it created.
Well that's good! Maybe you should look into creating a medium blog.

It's free, you don't pay for it and they actually pay you if you get good views.And I have read Unscripted , which did help me get motivated to pursue my passion. Haven't read Millionaire Fastlane yet but it's on my list,

And I have read Unscripted , which did help me get motivated to pursue my passion. Haven't read Millionaire Fastlane yet but it's on my list, I have about 200 books I haven't finished reading and now I have to get this blog going so I might get to it, I might not.
Lady you read that book right now. There is nothing more you need in this life aside from stop spending your inheritance on garbage courses.

If for some reason I can't afford my measly $300 lot rent where I am living now, I have a plan B which is to live on a farm for free in exchange for working there.
I'm legit staring at my coffee trying to think of situations in which a older woman would be useful on a farm. Maybe make a plan C.

As for Anik Singal's program and Sitesell, they are not scams or gurus, I personally know success stories from both of them.

Yeah they are. I bet you your sucess stories come from A: facebook or B: paid actors.

They didn't work FOR ME only because I realized I didn't like affiliate marketing, but since I paid for it, I have access to it for life along with all the courses included.

I also have access to a email address for life.

That is why I called it an investment because I learned a lot.
I think you learned how to waste money.

As for Sitesell, it is a fact that you will not have a successful health-related website unless you have the credentials to back up your information.

Sitesell has the statistics to prove that hundreds of their users' sites rank in the top 0.5% of all websites.

My website is still live, but when I have to renew my hosting
lady if it's not a .com don't

I love Sitesell and want to keep going through them.

...m.. there can be somthign to be said for a easy to use platform. But somehting like Strikingly might be beter for you. Easy to use, you can transfer a domain and they don't lock you out of things like sitesell does.

I might throw a focus on photography, nature, health, spirituality, and/or food since those are my other interests. I will work all this out in the course.

*sound of head banging against desk*

Closing notes:
It's obvious you are passionate about traveling.
If you want to make money doing so, you need to find a company who will pay you to do it. You don't have the focous to do it yourself, and you are extremely scatterbrained. You are also extremely perceptive to online scams. So at this point I'm going to recommend the following.

#1: close your facebook account.

#2 start looking for employment in a area where you travel. You could be a cleaning lady at a resort. You could be a ticketing agent at a airport. There are many ways in which you can have a company pay to have you travel you simply need to find them.

3: this scaterbrained shotgun spray approach to things won't help you.
You need to pick one thing and focus on it... is what I tell most people. in your case however you are so susceptable to online scams, if someone said ''Hey the secret to making money is bathe in battery acid, pay me $6000'' you would most likley do it! The good news is you'd never burn yourself you would simply realize how heavy the containers of acid are, shrug your sholders then complain on Facebook that ''it was too hard, what a good learning experience''

In reality you might always be slow-lane.
If you want to change this, you need to drop your lame a$$ friends.
You need to stop sucking your inheritance because like a bottle of milk it will run dry. And you're running around leaving cups of milk everywhere.

You need direction is what you need.
You need a job that allows you to live better.
and you honestly.. truly..
Need to get the fudge off of Facebook.

Best of luck.

Holy crap a doodle. Dude. That was an epic post. I mean, a total waste of time cuz she’s not even on the forum anymore but.. so funny! Lmao. I love how you write!!

DUDE! I want you on my list of friends. You’re funny as hell!

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Sometimes you don't let friends go- they let themselves go. Nothing you can do about it. Be happy for yourself. New friends will come. I'm slowly learning the same

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
I already have 10 articles written for it, but I just started the course a week ago so that is what I plan to do over the winter.
Alright, but that's, like, a long time from now, and business forum advice on interpersonal relationships is only going to move the needle so far.

Have you seen @richardd 's GOLD thread about buying existing internet businesses? Take some of the windfall cash, buy an already monetized travel blog, and jump start the process. You'll be too busy building your dreams to play with frienemies. :)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I have mixed feelings about this thread.

I can understand your friends' jealously towards your FB posts. I mean you went from working bad jobs and alot of hours to inheriting some money (Do they know how much it was?). Then you quit your job and start posting about how your life is great. To them, it doesn't feel you have earned this "great" life. So I can understand their resentment when they see another post about you not working and camping.

On the opposite side, I can understand the disappointment that you feel when they don't "like" your posts. Because your friends should be happy for you, no matter how you became happy.

I just wonder if their feelings are based on the inheritance and your history. They might be thinking that when the money is gone, you'll be back at the crappy job. I remember when I started off in ecommerce, many people were scratching their head, wondering what I was doing. I bet deep down, there were thinking I was crazy to quit a job and do ecommerce. It's kind of hard to say congratulations to you if they don't believe that it will last.

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
The absolute patience and helpfulness of this forum never fails to surprise me. You are all awesome!

OP, do you always throw your toys out of the pram, anytime people (even strangers who do not know you but care) give you some constructive criticism and support?

You need to take their advice on board, have a good look at yourself, your behaviors and change your outlook on life.

Can you honestly say that you bring value to your "friends" lives? Do you actually give give give without expecting anything in return? Do you really? I doubt it. Because if you applied that in every aspect in your life, you would not even care to cut out the old wood because you would be in abundance of fresh wood.

Now that I'm all caught up, I'm starting to feel differently about this forum. I did get more support than I did from my friends, but I also got a lot of "You're not doing this right." Maybe I am not in the right place here either. I am not trying to be a millionaire.

If you don't want to be a "millionaire", if your not ready to take on the advice that you are "not doing this right", then I can understand that you start to feel differently about this forum.

Maybe if you hung around here for a while, read and soaked up what these lovely people talk about daily, it might just begin to rub off on you.

Best wishes for the future.

lunga ngcobo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 29, 2019
Ugh that sucks though when friends you've had for most of your life (or even half of it) lack the ability to say something simple as "That's awesome!" That is really all I would like from them.

Caution: Your Inheritance will run out!

My advice is to take your inheritance and spend it wisely on a business that will keep you afloat while you pursue your dream fast lane business. Spending your money directly on travel and bragging on facebook sounds like instant gratification mentality.

Guess what? i also inherited 2 houses a few years ago and I guarantee that if i had sold the homes and took a tour around the world with the money, I would be back on square one. I would be still hopping from job to job and living in a trailer. But instead, I chose to develop the properties and rent them out. Now I dont have to look for a job and my friends will for ever hate me coz these rentals can only increase as i plan to develop more properties.

Bottom line: Take your money and invest it in a business that will save you from looking for a job ever again, otherwise you won't have to worry about your jealous friends anymore because they are going to be laughing at your a$$!!

Last edited:

lunga ngcobo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 29, 2019
Now that I'm all caught up, I'm starting to feel differently about this forum. I did get more support than I did from my friends, but I also got a lot of "You're not doing this right." Maybe I am not in the right place here either. I am not trying to be a millionaire. It would be nice, but more than anything I want to live each day doing what I love. I don't need a million dollars to do that. I misunderstood this group, I thought it was for all entrepreneurs, even the ones who have minimalist simple dreams and goals.

Thanks for responding, everyone! I will be out of town camping for the next few days so I won't be able to respond anymore until I get home, but I got what I came here for. Thank you!
The forum is actually about entrepreneurship and living free from the rat race. Read MJ's books and you will notice that they are harsh and sometimes offensive. But then who said reality was sweet?

My point is: Most people on this forum know whats real and we understand if you feel offended but the worst mistake you can make is ignore and dismiss their advice.

You can never know it all and for that we need each others advice...

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Am I the only one that googled Sitesell after reading all this

WHAT A WASTE OF INHERITANCE GIRL, WAKE UP OMG
giphy.gif

GaiaGoddess

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Nov 4, 2018
Minnesota
A year and a half ago I quit my job (I had an inheritance to fall back on) to focus on finding my passion, which ended up being travel writing/blogging and photography. I have never been happier in my life. Whenever I post on Facebook about my travels, none of my close friends like the posts, and whenever I talk about it with them, they act like they dont care. One friend who has been practically my best friend for 30 years has still not said a single word, or acknowledged anything that I have said about it. Everyone that knows me knows that I have been struggling my entire life to find my purpose, and when I finally found it I barely got any comments from my closest friends about it, online and in person. Even before my life changed, when I was depressed working 65 hours a week in a factory and never going anywhere, my friends didn't seem to care about my life. So you would think they would at least acknowledge my recent news and be happy for me now.

I posted on another forum asking why I am getting more support and respect from acquaintances than from my close friends, and most of them responded with "Nobody likes people who gloat and brag about how awesome their life is and how many places they visit." But these are my most popular posts, it's just that my close friends aren't liking them! I get support from people, just not the ones that matter. So now what am I supposed to do, never post on FB about my life?! Travel writers are supposed to share their trips on Facebook to help build a following, thats just part of their job. I feel like my friends don't care at all that I have finally found my purpose, I feel alone in my journey to living my dream life. One friend asked how I was doing and I said I was doing awesome, I just got back from a camping trip and wrote a bunch of blog posts, and her response was "I've been better, my knee hurts." and then we proceeded to talk about her problems the rest of the night and not another word about my good news. This is a friend I have known for about 13 years.

Another friend who I thought would be supportive, I have known her for 3 years, whenever we get on the subject of my recent news, she says things like (paraphrasing here) "Well you must not be on the right path yet since you are still living in a trailer park." She's one to talk, she has been complaining for 3 years about living in a cheap apartment with no running water and she is afraid to have someone come fix it because there is no path to get to the bathroom because she is a hoarder.

I need support and respect and I am not getting it from any of my close friends, and I don't know what to do about it. I don't want to stop posting on FB because that is something I need to do for my future career. Any advice?

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
The majority of people just don't care. They're happy living paycheck to paycheck. They are happy bitching about not having enough money.

So when they see you doing all this things to get ahead they think you're just wasting your time. Or they think you're just doing all that for fun. And you're not including them in your fun. Just keep doing what you're doing and make new friends.

Sandholdt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Nov 3, 2018
From what I see in your post, they didn't support your life before. Why does it suddenly matter to you wether they support you or not?

Were those people ever really your friends, or just some people who were cool to hang out with in the sparetime - which you no longer share with them, as you're busy moving on?

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
I feel like this is an insult but I don't get it, lol What is wrong with turning something into a business? Isn't that the entrepreneurial way?
What i meant by "farting around" was, you're not turning it into a business. You're talking about turning it into a business, and cooking through money on blog writing/ passion based business courses, when you could just get moving with it, and see if it works.

You can shortcut the trial and error, and wasted money on guru courses, by buying an existing monetized site and leave it as is to learn the ropes; then, add your own little camping music festival section to it gradually to transform it into your passion without disrupting the income.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.