The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gary Halbert 30 day challenge Copywriting Group

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
I started the Boron Letters before discovering this challenge so I started reading it out of the order listed, I just finished it today. There was more wisdom in those short letters than in a lot of the advice circulating around the internet about starting a business, with the follow your passion and all of that. For awhile I've been stuck in neutral because I just kept thinking about what I love to do and how it can be monetized, instead doing some exercises of thinking about markets and what product I could come up with to appeal to them has led to some great brainstorming.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jeremye

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jun 4, 2013
Dallas, TX
I don't think the order is that important.

I started reading Robert Collier, but ended up reading all the way through Scientific Advertising first. I can tell i will be going back through that book taking plenty of notes. Im seeing sales copy improvements needed everywhere I look now...

I'm ashamed of my adwords account right now.

tsenen

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 21, 2014
I'm in, fantastic idea guys.
Here's where I'm up to :)

"Scientific Advertising" -by Claude Hopkins
"The Robert Collier Letter Book"-by Robert Collier
"Tested Advertising Methods"-by John Caples
"How To Write A Good Advertisement"-by Vic Schwab
"The Gary Halbert Letter" (all back issues)-by Gary Halbert
"The Boron Letters"-by Gary Halbert
"The Lazy Man's Way to Riches"-by Joe Karbo
"Break-Through Advertising"-by Eugene M. Schwartz
"7-Steps To Freedom"-by Ben Suarez

Albert Liao

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 22, 2014
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • How To Write A Good Advertisement
  • The Gary Halbert Letters (all back issues)
  • The Boron Letters
  • Lazy Man's Way To Riches
  • Breakthrough Advertising
  • 7 Steps To Freedom
It is a joyous night! On to writing! Friends are watching Netflix, playing video games, going out for Happy Hours, but we're investing for the future. Keep it up everyone, never forget why you are doing this!

DotGov

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Mar 10, 2014
Fort Worth, TX
... I'm in!
(Yeah, I have been lurking these forums)
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Gary Halbert Letters
  • The Boron Letters
  • Breakthrough Advertising
  • 7 Steps To Freedom

Testament

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 11, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Fantastic thread, count me in as well! Thanks a billion for all of these incredible links, oldschool! Rep transferred!

Currently half way through Scientific Advertising and I'm really enjoying it, though I did have a question for everyone else taking the challenge...

So I noticed Gary mentioned after the initial reading list,
after you had read all of the above, I would further instruct you to read nothing else and not take notes.

I'm an avid note taker whenever I'm reading something that interests me, especially when it's something entirely new. I find my memory retention tends to be extremely lacking otherwise. Am I reading this right, that he doesn't want note taking while reading the books in the list?

Last edited:

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
I think by not taking notes the first time through he just wants you to get the idea of what is being said in these books and then when you read them a second or third time you will be more receptive to what is important and in a way you'll make your notes more meaningful. I had an English professor who taught Shakespeare this way, he told us to just go home and read whichever play we were studying one time through quickly. Preferably, in one sitting and not worry about getting hung up on arcane words or trying to make sure we understood everything. After that we went back and re-read the play slowly bit by bit and discussed the details and it was the only time in school that Shakespeare made any sense to me.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
I hated not taking notes and i'm not good at retention either.

Question though, anyone here ever notice that when they read a book and "think" you dont remember the stuff, reread the book, and, you seem to remember afterall?

The reason why I brought that up is because thats my paradox. I read some of the books before this challenge a long time ago (when i was suppose to go through with this challenge and didnt), and, I found I remember certain parts of the book.

Anyways, I am down to writing my last two sales letters.. would've finished last night but my hand gave out. If my hand hurts today, I am just going to take an aspirin or one of my supplements for bones/pain.

By the way, I guesstimate i'll be done with the challenge by july 1st at the latest.

Also, I actually think I noticed some discrepancies between authors when I was reading the first time. I want to take some real copious notes and pick each book apart to stand on it's own the second go round. Thats why I guess I will be done by july. I hope to G it dont go into august or later :banghead:

Testament

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 11, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Anyways, I am down to writing my last two sales letters.. would've finished last night but my hand gave out. If my hand hurts today, I am just going to take an aspirin or one of my supplements for bones/pain.

That's some crazy dedication. I'll have no excuses not to do the same when it gets really tough to keep going...I'd like to imagine you're writing them to this song:

I know I will be. :rockon:

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys!

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
The reason why I brought that up is because thats my paradox. I read some of the books before this challenge a long time ago (when i was suppose to go through with this challenge and didnt), and, I found I remember certain parts of the book.

I'm usually amazed at how much I'd forgotten when I go back to a book again, or big points that seem important on a second reading that I didn't seem to have paid much attention to the first time.

Has anyone tried taking notes the way that Gary Halbert recommends in the Boron Letters?

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Question: for those of you not going to a typist, after you write out salesletters what's next?

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Question: for those of you not going to a typist, after you write out salesletters what's next?

I'm planning on making out a copy or two on Microsoft Word - typed out, designed and laid out just as a real ad would. I figure it's similar to getting it typed by someone else and having a velox (whatever that is) made from it. It'd be pretty much in what would be the final form in today's day and age.

The next step after having it typed out is re-reading the books, so that's what I'd do next.

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
if you were sending an ad to a newspaper/magazine for them to print what format would that be?? JPEG? PDF?

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
I admit i am discombobulated like neo,( & as Cypher said, "he's gonna pop" ) o_O:cookoo:

I'm stuck guys.

I think I might just rotate back to the books. I am not sure what the purpose of the web mock up of a news article is for because you can copy paste that on a site. case in point. http://www.theryanmcgrath.com/Joe_Karbo_Ad1.jpg

This is where it would be nice to have a veteran ad man in here coaching us. Ah well do your best leave the rest. taking a break till tomorrow.

06-16-kobe-bryant_full_600-300x200.gif

Last edited:

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
Is there anyone who would be interested at some point in starting a discussion group or something where we can pick an ad suggested by Gary and breakdown the techniques used in it. I think it would be interesting and really help people (myself :D) internalise and learn to apply the myriad of techniques mentioned across the books. I was going to do it by myself anyway but I thought it might be better having input from lots of other people and that way ending up with a more accurate picture of what was working and why.

jeremye

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jun 4, 2013
Dallas, TX
wrapped up my first rip through the Robert Collier Letters. It got really repetitive as a read-through, but I marked off a lot of pages I know I'll be coming back to when I'm writing.

Just downloaded the boron letters to kindle, so I'll read that while I wait for the 3 books I could find on amazon.

I REALLY want to sell something!!!

Stephanos83

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Haven't posted to this thread in a while (vacation!), but I thought I would post my progress now. Should have been done 3rd of March (oh well, got a full plate).

• Scientific Advertising
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book (about 100 pages in)
  • The Gary Halbert Letters (Read lots of these)
  • The Boron Letters
  • Breakthrough Advertising (Started)
  • 7 Steps To Freedom
Really liking Gary's stuff. I read Boron 2.0 by his son Bond as well. I've been looking into to some stats over here in the UK about the effectiveness of direct mail and it matches up to email marketing quite nicely. I'm thinking a combination of the two could pack a nice punch in making sales, building a customer list, and driving traffic to an online presence that's been validated through the mail. I'm always approached by large and successful companies by mail first before I ever have a web relationship with them. The typical info marketer that has a blog never does this. Something to think about and something to test!... when the time comes...

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
Haven't posted to this thread in a while (vacation!), but I thought I would post my progress now. Should have been done 3rd of March (oh well, got a full plate).

• Scientific Advertising
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book (about 100 pages in)
  • The Gary Halbert Letters (Read lots of these)
  • The Boron Letters
  • Breakthrough Advertising (Started)
  • 7 Steps To Freedom
Really liking Gary's stuff. I read Boron 2.0 by his son Bond as well. I've been looking into to some stats over here in the UK about the effectiveness of direct mail and it matches up to email marketing quite nicely. I'm thinking a combination of the two could pack a nice punch in making sales, building a customer list, and driving traffic to an online presence that's been validated through the mail. I'm always approached by large and successful companies by mail first before I ever have a web relationship with them. The typical info marketer that has a blog never does this. Something to think about and something to test!... when the time comes...

What I was thinking, there's no way you'd want people to reply by mail so you'd have to cleanly drive them to your site online. Could focus on creating interest and desire in your services through the letter but rather than a call to action on the main product/s instead offer an awesome free ebook if they go on your site. That way they're more likely to be bothered to actually look at your site after reading the letter and you now have a high quality email list you can then sell your main product/s to as much as you want. Does Bond talk about stuff like this? I forget to read Boron 2.0

Stephanos83

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 17, 2013
United Kingdom
What I was thinking, there's no way you'd want people to reply by mail so you'd have to cleanly drive them to your site online. Could focus on creating interest and desire in your services through the letter but rather than a call to action on the main product/s instead offer an awesome free ebook if they go on your site. That way they're more likely to be bothered to actually look at your site after reading the letter and you now have a high quality email list you can then sell your main product/s to as much as you want. Does Bond talk about stuff like this? I forget to read Boron 2.0
That's exactly what he talks about. Basically gives a modern twist to what dad taught him. Give 2.0 a read. Short, but interesting.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
I'm In.

Did everyone else just buy these books on Amazon? I can't seem to find the first edition for the 7 steps to freedom is the 2nd edition sufficient?

I think is scientific advertising is public domain and as for 7 steps ....the second edition is sufficient.

Last edited:

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
I just finished the Robert Collier Letter Book, I wouldn't recommend reading the free pdf version that's pretty easy to find on Google. You really get what you don't pay for-- tons of typos and the lack of formatting is really distracting.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
I know I put get the book from RC family website but they seem to have a page on amazon too...so you can get it from the robert collier family there. Just be sure you buy new at full price so you can make sure it is the authentic. Buy it from amazon and not any of the other vendors on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0912576200/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

P.S. RentU might be legit though I never heard of them. Do your research call amazon if you need to.

Last edited:

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Hey everybody!

I'm just getting started on the part of the challenge where you're suppose to find ads by a bunch of other copywriters: Gary Bencivenga, Dan Rosenthal, Joe E. Kennedy, etc., and I've found a few so far, so what I'm going to do is add them to this thread as I find them for each copywriter. First up, Gary Bencivenga.

Ads by Gary Bencivenga:

Also, I found 2 more links you might want to look at (not ads). The first is just a link to Gary Bencivenga's archives. The second is a link to a bunch of interviews a man named Clayton Makepeace did with some great copywriters, one of which is Gary Bencivenga. And I'm mentioning these two because Gary Halbert recommends somewhere in his newletter to read everything you can find on, about, and written by successful copywriters, so I'm adding these as well. Here they are:

PS: Sometimes Gary Bencivenga's website won't load, just type it into the wayback machine, and you're good to go!
PPS: I'll be adding links to this thread as I go, so it may take me awhile to list ads for them all.

Peace.

trshosta

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 10, 2013
I finally finished Scientific Advertising. Hopefully, I will start getting consistent with reading regularly.

Jimmyy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 19, 2013
All 9 of the main ads out of the way! Ended up typing rather than handwriting as I simply detest writing by hand. Tried it but couldn't focus on the technique and style of the copy. Hopefully that still works for me, sorry Gary! :oops:

karmazon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 12, 2012
Orange County, Ca
I finished the main ads and, at the risk of being crucified, I have to ask - has anyone else found those ads really boring and tedious? The only one that stirred in me any desire to buy something was "the lazy man's way to riches." All others simply bored me, and definitely would not make me want to buy anything. I'm sure Mr. Halbert chose those ads because they made a lot of money, therefore there is a certain discrepancy in my mind.

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
Almost halfway done with the reading list!
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Gary Halbert Letter
  • The Boron Letters
  • The Lazy Man's Way To Riches
  • Break-Through Advertising
  • 7-Steps To Freedom

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.