The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Game Store Project and Travel

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Schwarz

Half Man ; Half Goat
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Feb 16, 2019
Flanders | Belgium
Greetings Fastlaners and Warriors of the UNSCRIPTED dynasty,

Intro
I'm 21 years old. I currently live in Belgium (planning to move within 2 weeks). I spent most of my time playing video games, going out with friends and working on useless CENTS-less side-projects. I' have no degree. Although I do have a little bit of experience in graphics programming. The past 3-4 months I've been working at a super market to save some cash.

Project
Two weeks ago, I started working on a game store that would focus more on customer support and user friendliness. The store will heavily incentivise productocracy for game developers. It will only take a small cut (5% - 10%) and there will also be a big focus on systems that will make it easier for gamers to connect and meet other people.

I'm not going to go much further into detail but I basically ran it through a CENTS/CENTS test 3 to 4 times just to be sure. And I really believe that, with the right execution, this could become something really big. Only time will tell.

Travel
I find my life rather boring. Finally, I have enough money to go move abroad. I'll be going to montenegro first (a month). Then I'll probably go to Southern France and find a job there to, you know, survive.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Good that you decided to start a progress thread :)

Even if you've validated your project's viability, it might be valuable to get feedback from other people.

Schwarz

Half Man ; Half Goat
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Feb 16, 2019
Flanders | Belgium
Does this include taxes ?
I'm still thinking about that one. But it'll probably be [5-10%] * [(Product Price + VAT) * AmountOfSales].
My knowledge about taxes aint what you could call 'BIG', not even close. Currently the focus is on the development of the product though. I'm not going to plan how to do taxes etc right now. The product is still months from completed. If not a year.

Of course, tips on the matter are always welcome!

Schwarz

Half Man ; Half Goat
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Feb 16, 2019
Flanders | Belgium
Good that you decided to start a progress thread :)

Even if you've validated your project's viability, it might be valuable to get feedback from other people.

Of course, people are free to give feedback at any time. I hope they do. When I have made some more progress and the project has actually started to get a real 'shape'. I'll add more details.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
there will also be a big focus on systems that will make it easier for gamers to connect and meet other people.

Do you think this is really the thing that's missing from Steam? I'm probably right in your target market, and imo, the biggest hurdle for any new store is the inertia of everyone's game libraries being on Steam. Getting me to care enough to maintain a new game library at a new spot is a tough sell. I'll buy games from Humble/Fanatical, but only because they give Steam keys, otherwise I wouldn't bother. Of course, that means that they're only competing on price, and none of their features (other than the Steam key) are relevant to me at all. Clearly there's an opportunity, but it's a tough one.

Schwarz

Half Man ; Half Goat
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Feb 16, 2019
Flanders | Belgium
Do you think this is really the thing that's missing from Steam? I'm probably right in your target market, and imo, the biggest hurdle for any new store is the inertia of everyone's game libraries being on Steam. Getting me to care enough to maintain a new game library at a new spot is a tough sell. I'll buy games from Humble/Fanatical, but only because they give Steam keys, otherwise I wouldn't bother. Of course, that means that they're only competing on price, and none of their features (other than the Steam key) are relevant to me at all. Clearly there's an opportunity, but it's a tough one.
You're correct. But people also buy on itch.io, gog.com, Uplay, Origin and Epic Games. Of course they all have a bit of their own market of games they sell. And to be honest, that probably is the bigest 'scary' point I can think of. When will the platform be fast, efficient and fun enough to convince people to make the step? Then again, I myself have hundreds of games on Steam but never had a problem with buying them on different platforms. Plus I barely play my old Steam games anyways.

Schwarz

Half Man ; Half Goat
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Feb 16, 2019
Flanders | Belgium
Greetings Fastlaners and Warriors of the UNSCRIPTED dynasty,

Update
Since my last post, I changed my travel destination. I crossed half the globe to get where I live now, the city of Montevideo in Uruguay. If there are any Fastlaners who live here and have the time to grab a coffee and have chat in real life, do send me a message.

Now about my project. I'm not that happy with the progress. But I've at least been able to work on it on a daily basis. I am also currently looking into freelance so that I can earn some money. So that I can stay here and work more on the project.

The following is a VERY early build. Everything is subject to change and the images are of course placeholders. If you have any question of how I programmed certain things (c#), feel free to ask, I'll gladly help you out.

All feedback is highly appreciated.

img1.png img2.png img3.png

All those rosters and panels are programmed to easily insert games with their images and prices. The most painful thing to create actually was the responsiveness and resizing of the window.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
I am also currently looking into freelance so that I can earn some money. So that I can stay here and work more on the project.

Out of curiosity, what kind of freelancing are you looking for (programming I guess)? Where (trying out things like Upwork?)? How (finding clients on your network?)?

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Your competitors in this market will be the app store, steam, macgmaes store; and doubtless others.

How are you going to attract:
1. Developers to list their games
2. People to buy the games

??

Schwarz

Half Man ; Half Goat
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Feb 16, 2019
Flanders | Belgium
Out of curiosity, what kind of freelancing are you looking for (programming I guess)? Where (trying out things like Upwork?)? How (finding clients on your network?)?

Probably Upwork and or fiverr. I'm still looking for a skill to specialize in though. I'm alright at programming. I just have to get more specific. Finding clients, I guess, will be looking at what people
on the site want specifically and adjust to that. So that they will hire me.
You interested in doing freelancing as well? Because this and this are great threads about freelancing.

Schwarz

Half Man ; Half Goat
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Feb 16, 2019
Flanders | Belgium
Your competitors in this market will be the app store, steam, macgmaes store; and doubtless others.

How are you going to attract:
1. Developers to list their games
2. People to buy the games

??
Good question.

The store is going to be multifunctional. It will be like social media (facebook) combined with a game launcher and a game store. A place that makes it easier to connect with random people and make new friends online. But also to just play with friends. Developers have their own profiles (which can be liked, followed and favorited). Developers that are very popular are featured in the store. This encourages good product delivery for the developers. In return I will only request a small profit cut.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Probably Upwork and or fiverr. I'm still looking for a skill to specialize in though. I'm alright at programming. I just have to get more specific. Finding clients, I guess, will be looking at what people
on the site want specifically and adjust to that. So that they will hire me.
You interested in doing freelancing as well? Because this and this are great threads about freelancing.
I've always been interested in freelancing as a way to work for others without being slaved to a fixed schedule. But for now, I'm not interested in Upwork. I follow Lex's threads though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.