The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Game of Thrones Season 8 Thread (SPOILERS)

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Just watched Episode 3. It was a hot mess.

A hot dark mess. The first 3/4 of the episode you could not even tell what was going on. A few minutes of the chaos would have been good for cinematic effect, but 40 min was a garbage heap.

I disagree about the Last Jedi though. She has been training for like 6 years, some of that under a god none the less.

Overall not great. Episode 2 was fantastic though. I have no idea where they are going to take this now. Frankly I am less interested in it though, but we shall see.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
So. Dark... That first 30 to 45 mins or so was a strain. Almost unwatchable with my setup. Overall I liked the episode though. But I'm not a hard core fan that's read the books or anything.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I enjoyed the episode but wasn't as "wowed" as I thought I'd be based on the hype and the time we waited. My main grievance has to do with Arya's actions.

Arya was training all this time and seemed to have super powers. Now she gets her a$$ handed to her by zombies. Also, it seems like her powers are more like slight-of-hand tricks. She doesn't disappear and reappear. She hides behind bookshelves and hopes no one hears her. She could barely sneak past the dead...wtf?! And why did they build up that weapon she wanted so bad only to toss it to the side after 10 seconds of use?

At the end I was disappointed by HOW Arya defeated the Night King. There's a whisp of wind, one of the White Walkers looks over his shoulder, and the next thing we see is Arya flying through the air at the Night King. I guess this was supposed to be her arrival at the last second, which kind of makes Theon's death a little more purposeful. But direct attacks aren't exactly what the Faceless Men are known for (at least in the television show). I wanted Bran to pull his face off and reveal himself to be Arya just in time to stab the Night King. Same outcome, better portrayal in my opinion.

The dark was annoying, but I got over it. There weren't as many big deaths as I thought there would be. A couple of the deaths were fairly emotional and there were plenty of tense moments.

I'm hoping they make up for some of the flaws in this episode in the final battle, but I wasn't completely disappointed. I really liked the episode overall. It just felt like there were a few missed opportunities that could've really set it over the top.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I enjoyed the episode but wasn't as "wowed" as I thought I'd be based on the hype and the time we waited. My main grievance has to do with Arya's actions.

Arya was training all this time and seemed to have super powers. Now she gets her a$$ handed to her by zombies. Also, it seems like her powers are more like slight-of-hand tricks. She doesn't disappear and reappear. She hides behind bookshelves and hopes no one hears her. She could barely sneak past the dead...wtf?! And why did they build up that weapon she wanted so bad only to toss it to the side after 10 seconds of use?

At the end I was disappointed by HOW Arya defeated the Night King. There's a whisp of wind, one of the White Walkers looks over his shoulder, and the next thing we see is Arya flying through the air at the Night King. I guess this was supposed to be her arrival at the last second, which kind of makes Theon's death a little more purposeful. But direct attacks aren't exactly what the Faceless Men are known for (at least in the television show). I wanted Bran to pull his face off and reveal himself to be Arya just in time to stab the Night King. Same outcome, better portrayal in my opinion.

The dark was annoying, but I got over it. There weren't as many big deaths as I thought there would be. A couple of the deaths were fairly emotional and there were plenty of tense moments.

I'm hoping they make up for some of the flaws in this episode in the final battle, but I wasn't completely disappointed. I really liked the episode overall. It just felt like there were a few missed opportunities that could've really set it over the top.
Ha, I was totally expecting Bran to be Arya. It was kinda disappointing how wishy-washy they were with her super assassin skills. That was probably the most annoying thing because it didn't make sense, unnecessarily. There was plenty of shit going on elsewhere that we don't need to see her hiding from some lowly wights when the last few seasons made it seem she was basically invincible.

As for the dark, there was one scene in particular that it really pissed me off - I couldn't see Jorah's face properly when he came riding back in. But that was pretty much it.

PedroG

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Oct 1, 2013
NH
I wanted Bran to pull his face off and reveal himself to be Arya just in time to stab the Night King. Same outcome, better portrayal in my opinion.

Damn! I didn't think about that. That would have been amazing!! Except that means Bran would be dead.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Damn! I didn't think about that. That would have been amazing!! Except that means Bran would be dead.

The way I see it my idea is flawed. It makes about as much sense as Arya apparating into the Godswood like Harry Potter and launching a direct air assault that bypasses all of the surrounding White Walkers when she couldn't even sneak by the foot soldiers! We can fill the plot hole later. Maybe Bran laughed at Needle and Arya taught him a lesson! :D

PedroG

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Oct 1, 2013
NH
The way I see it my idea is flawed. It makes about as much sense as Arya apparating into the Godswood like Harry Potter and launching a direct air assault that bypasses all of the surrounding White Walkers when she couldn't even sneak by the foot soldiers! We can fill the plot hole later. Maybe Bran laughed at Needle and Arya taught him a lesson! :D

Lol!

I'm thinking maybe they're leaving the face thing for the end. Jamie (Arya) will peel his face off right before killing Cersei.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Just watched Episode 3. It was a hot mess.

A hot dark mess. The first 3/4 of the episode you could not even tell what was going on. A few minutes of the chaos would have been good for cinematic effect, but 40 min was a garbage heap.

I disagree about the Last Jedi though. She has been training for like 6 years, some of that under a god none the less.

Overall not great. Episode 2 was fantastic though. I have no idea where they are going to take this now. Frankly I am less interested in it though, but we shall see.

i didn't mean to compare arya to the jedi chick, arya did indeed train over multiple seasons.
I'm not even mad she killed the night king.

It's a Snoke vs Night King comparison.
I'm referring to the Night King being dispatched in 1 episode after 7 seasons of buildup.

I enjoyed Episode 2 a lot as well, the whole brianne knighting hit me in the feels hard.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

According to the writers, the headblow arya took that knocked her down weakened her abilities.
Wasn't portrayed well though in my opinion.

The way she snuck up on the night king but jumped at him screaming is silly.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
According to the writers, the headblow arya took that knocked her down weakened her abilities.
Wasn't portrayed well though in my opinion.

The way she snuck up on the night king but jumped at him screaming is silly.

lol! The screaming! Hadn't even caught that. Yes, that was totally off. I suppose the headblow knocked her senseless.

Now that I've seen it a few times...the last few minutes of buildup to the Night King's death reminds me of a jewelry commercial. Lots of desperate staring and dramatic music. :D

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
  • They fooled me in foreshadowing deaths that never happened. (I would have bet a million bucks Breanne was marked for death) I also assumed that everyone who drank in the hall (the hours before) would survive, those who did not, would die.
  • They gave a resolution -- didn't let us hang until the next episode.
  • Did a great job in showing the utter chaos and annihilation that was all but a forgone conclusion, until Arya donned her cape and flew in from the Castle turret.
  • Tyrion/Sansa -- you felt a connection there where you never thought there would be.
  • Watching a little girl get crushed by a giant -- shows that the writers where willing to break rules. (No I don't like children getting crushed, lol).

DISLIKES
  • To dark, couldn't see anything. (But it makes filming a lot of cheaper!)
  • Poor strategy from the Winterfell folks. Who designed the battle strategy, the little Mormont girl?
  • Inadequate deployment of the 2 dragons, instead of attacking the wights, let's spend half the battle riding off into the blizzard!
  • Dothraki, what a waste? Who thought this was a good idea?
  • Arya's sudden flying skills and/or invisibility cloak.
  • I never understood Bran's importance. He did nothing in the battle or never had any impact in all seasons other than exposing Jon's true identity. Why was he a threat to the Knight King?
  • Did Jon's wolf die in the early Dothraki battle? I wanted to see him more.
  • Stupid trope that exists in all bad guy films: "I've won big and now I'm going to take my time and gloat before I kill you" -- boom, bad guy gets killed by some sudden intervention. (A little bit like Deus Ex Machina)

the last few minutes of buildup to the Night King's death reminds me of a jewelry commercial

Ugh, makes me wanna walk off the side of a cliff. Or in GOT lore, do a King Tommen out the window.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
lol! The screaming! Hadn't even caught that. Yes, that was totally off. I suppose the headblow knocked her senseless.

Now that I've seen it a few times...the last few minutes of buildup to the Night King's death reminds me of a jewelry commercial. Lots of desperate staring and dramatic music. :D

lol i do see some parallels there. poor night king didn't get his jewelry though.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
honestly in my heart of hearts i felt something was off the moment the dothraki charged into death.
Then when Jorah Mormont RETURNS i knew for certain something wasn't right.
Then when brianne and jaime keep surviving, i started smelling the BS

the writing was no game of thrones.

Shirkahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Oct 6, 2018
Connecticut
Yup, I was disappointed about the death of the night king and also thought it ended quite suddenly after such a long build up.

But then again, has GOT ever disappointed? I can’t wait to see what they are plotting next.

I have faith that it will be mind boggling and unexpected.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It was a real mess of an episode, and too dark, agreed.

They had an army the likes the planet has never seen, ruled by a queen that has literal fire breathing dragons, and the entire army was dispatched in minutes.

I was beyond disappointed that the best warrior races were portrayed as little more than fodder. The Dothraki ran to their death in seconds (then ran away!?). The unsullied stood their ground like a proper army but basically just fell line after line. Yeah they were fighting the dead but they also had weapons that evened that playing field.

Then you had the opposite problem with the main characters - all them shown multiple times being basically drowned in opponents and shown to be on the verge of losing multiple times, but they lived? Huh? I'm pretty sure we literally saw Tarly on his back with walkers attacking/biting him as he writhed like a turtle on his back and he's good to go by the episode's end?

So we had the best army ever put together dispatched in seconds and individual fighters who were still standing at the battle's end. It was just... hard to swallow.

I'd have FAR preferred to see a proper army vs army fight up front, have the night king blast a hole in a flank, and then have the heroes taking on smaller packs of stragglers who break through the lines. Some 1 vs 3-4-5 stuff. Not this 1 vs dozens nonsense inside the gates.

The dragons in the blizzard was just nonsense. Made no sense.

Arya's sneaking around was cringe-worthy. Apparently she can run around inches from the dead without being heard but a drop of blood is like a dinner bell? Huh?

I also expected her to use SOME kind of faceless-men trickery at some point but she seems to have forgotten it entirely since leaving the town she learned it in. The weapon use she had was cool for the 10 seconds she used it but it appears the only reason she had a weapon made in the previous episode was to give the producers a reason to have her topless in the proceeding sex scene...

I actually didn't mind her taking out the night king but leaping over the undead generals like a gymnast on a trampoline to do it was nonsense.

I also didn't mind the main battle only taking place in one episode (I liked that, actually) but again - it was a hot mess for me.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
I never understood Bran's importance. He did nothing in the battle or never had any impact in all seasons other than exposing Jon's true identity. Why was he a threat to the Knight King?

From my understanding, Bran is the keeper of the world's knowledge. So by killing him, the Night King destroys humanity. Like individuals are the culmination of their past experiences. Civilization is defined by its history.

The entire battle was centered around Bran, and it was his idea to be the bait.

It's a shame they turned him to a dull character. He should have been the most colorful of them all. But at least they didn't use the visions as cheap exposition.

His only recent evolution was revealing that he didn't know if it's possible to kill the Night King. Since no one has done it. Therefore he understands that he has room to grow.

I doubt we'll be seeing any more of him.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I never understood Bran's importance.

Yeah, honestly you could remove him ENTIRELY from the series and nothing much would change - the very definition of a bad character.

As best I can tell he's little more than the magic version of a remote control drone. Except he offers no real use. If he was directing armies in the battle through raven use - that would have been something, at least. Alas he just announced "I'm out", and went flying around the battlefield like it was a field trip.

Always hated his character and his story arcs. A boring character who traveled with boring people who was gifted with boring powers to do basically nothing with.

PedroG

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Oct 1, 2013
NH
I never understood Bran's importance. He did nothing in the battle or never had any impact in all seasons other than exposing Jon's true identity. Why was he a threat to the Knight King?

I didn't get this either. Something about him having the memory of everything that they wanted to erase? Didn't make sense to me.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
It's a Snoke vs Night King comparison.
I'm referring to the Night King being dispatched in 1 episode after 7 seasons of buildup.

You are completely right. Episode 8 was so terrible I had honestly forgotten about that Snoke BS. This was similar. It just screams to me of lazy writing.

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
Contrary to popular opinion here, I really think this was the best episode in a very long time for the series. In my honest opinion it was great. The darkness was fitting given it's a fight against death. The animation with the dragons was great. The plot armor was strong indeed as I thought more would have died, but I'm more intrigued to see how the rest of the show plays out with the characters that are left.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Contrary to popular opinion here, I really think this was the best episode in a very long time for the series. In my honest opinion it was great. The darkness was fitting given it's a fight against death. The animation with the dragons was great. The plot armor was strong indeed as I thought more would have died, but I'm more intrigued to see how the rest of the show plays out with the characters that are left.

In the video luniac posted the guy mentioned similar points. He said the Producer deserves props for production. The writing seems to be where people are upset.

I totally agree on the production side of the house. What I could see of the battle looked great, and it was fun to watch, although I had to adjust my screen and seat several times to see it.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
After watching Avengers End Game I caught GOT Ep. 3. There was alot of mix emotions that night.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
  • Poor strategy from the Winterfell folks. Who designed the battle strategy, the little Mormont girl?
  • Inadequate deployment of the 2 dragons, instead of attacking the wights, let's spend half the battle riding off into the blizzard!
  • Dothraki, what a waste? Who thought this was a good idea?
  • Did Jon's wolf die in the early Dothraki battle? I wanted to see him more.

The dire wolf survived, along with both dragons I'm pretty sure, there's a few blogs around listing who lived and died, based on next weeks trailer along with what they could see in the episode I guess.

I found it all a bit meh... I didn't find the episode as captivating as Battle of the Bastards, there's 3 episodes to go, it wasn't going to be the Night King v Cersei for world domination so a few of them had to live, in the end all the main characters did.

I got annoyed with The Dothraki running to their deaths while Jon and Danni sat on fire breathing dragons watching, it was frustrating, go and light up that front line of the dead with the dragons dammit!

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I got annoyed with The Dothraki running to their deaths while Jon and Danni sat on fire breathing dragons watching was frustrating, go and light up that front line of the dead with the dragons dammit!

Dothraki: So while we're charging the front line, the dragons will fire a path for us? Help us in the battle?
Dani/Jon: Uh no. We're gonna sit and watch.
Dothraki: {frowns... proceeds to slit his own throat}

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
The HBO writers ran out of source material and it shows in this season.

The writing is not what it was.

The latest episode was disappointing. The dialogue this season is mediocre (name one good Tyrion Lannister quote). Overall, they're trying to wrap up a show that's not ready to be wrapped up.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
The HBO writers ran out of source material and it shows in this season.

The writing is not what it was.

The latest episode was disappointing. The dialogue this season is mediocre (name one good Tyrion Lannister quote). Overall, they're trying to wrap up a show that's not ready to be wrapped up.
Ran out of source material?

Impossible.
Just hop onto Reddit, take a few best prediction posts that relate well with the entire storyline, and make a run for it. :smile:

As for Tyrion quotes...I've no idea how to make one.
Him and Olenna had some wise-crackings I hadn't heard of before.
How do the writers make their dialogues? Drink vodka at 4am, and go to work?

Smuggo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 13, 2018
Waiting all those episodes to see that fast Night King death was sooo disappointing. It all felt so... forced... Every death, fight and so on. Everyone is talking about Avengers and not GoT. I wonder why :rofl:

Anyway I just want to see the ending right now.

Lambo-Hunter

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jul 14, 2017
Sweden
first of i want to say i enjoyed the episode the only thing i really wanted tho was a fight scene with Jon and the night king, I mean he deserved a better death then that..

Second..

They know that fire kills the walkers, they have known that the dead are coming for years and they know about wildfire.

Could no one put together that wildfire might have been usefull? I mean half of the characters where precent at the battle of the blackwater. had they spread that shit around winterfell they could have simply brought out the marshmallows and watch the dead burn..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.