The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From prototype to ...?

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Longtime lurker, first time poster. :)

For an existing outdoor/recreation product, I've hacked together a prototype that's basically an add-on feature to the main product. (My prototype is an electronics thing--I'm not really an electronics guy, but the prototype works & does what I want).

Some quick research revealed that one of the main manufacturers for the existing outdoor product created a similar add-on product a few years ago, but it's since been discontinued. Their execution of the add-on product didn't work well & got bad reviews--but buyers liked the concept.

Market size is kinda hard to gauge:
  • the 2 main manufacturers of the main product have 100-300 employees each
  • the leading manufacturer of the main product generates ~$150MM annual revenue
  • monthly search volume for the main product is ~10,000
So, not sure what my next action should be:
  1. contact the 2-3 leading manufacturers about licensing my idea
  2. refine the prototype & get feedback
  3. validate / gauge interest with a simple PPC campaign (using a simple demo video or photos), and send would-be buyers to an "out of stock" page
My gut says to try #3 (simple, quick validation).

I'd prefer to just license it, since my hunch is that getting it retail-ready, manufacturing, marketing, distribution, etc. may be a lot of effort for relatively small return.

Any ideas & guidance are much appreciated. I need to get out of my own head.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vi2397

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 3, 2018
USA
Hello! I'm a lurker too.

Disclaimer: I have not done the entire process myself yet.
I'm working on my own prototype at the moment, but will file a provisional this week. I've read Stephen Key's book and advice on this forum. My understanding is that you should file a provisional patent soon. You can then adjust as you go forward after you receive feedback. You can do the provisional yourself and it's around $120 or so.
You can search for patent info in this forum, if you haven't already. And I do recommend Stephen Key's book One Simple Idea. He has a youtube channel, InventRight TV, and he was a forum member. There are some old threads with useful info.
Good Luck!

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Thanks for the input--I got Stephen Key's book a few days ago, skim-read it, and there's good actionable stuff in there.

With that in mind, my next actions are:
  • Do a bit more market research to gauge interest.
  • Refine my prototype so I can get quotes from contract manufacturers.
Something else I realized after reading Stephen Key's book is that I actually have a handful of prototypes I've built to solve other problems for myself--which I'll put into a licensing idea pipeline. Key mentions that licensing is a numbers game (i.e., have a bunch of ideas in your pipeline that you're moving forward). So, I just need to create a simple way to list those ideas, then manage next actions to move them forward.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
I'm still in process, though I finally took action & got 3D renderings done for 1 of my product ideas (I had better luck finding a designer on UpWork than Fiverr or Freelancer).

This particular product isn't a patentable idea, but I think I might be able to get a design fee for it. Some of the ideas I have are non-patentable modifications of existing designs, and I've heard of other folks getting design fees (and sometimes royalties) for their non-patentable designs. Apparently, design fees are more common in industries like fashion, where it's rare to have a patentable idea--you can't really patent a pair of pants, unless they're, like, rocket-powered pants or some such non-obvious modification.

Anywho, so I have my 3D renderings, and my next steps are:
  1. create a list of potentially-interested manufacturers
  2. start calling them to gauge interest
  3. slap together a sell sheet to forward them if any are interested

Woodsman81

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Dec 10, 2017
Alma co
I am in about the same place as you.
Hopefully you can find this motivational. I have cold called 3 companys and sent my sell sheet to 2 of them. I have a meeting later this week with potential licensee.
Keep pushing, and Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.