The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Prototyping (Materials, design consultation/advising?)

Deaners

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Apr 13, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Hi Fastlaners,

QUESTIONS:

Does anyone here have expertise on elastomer materials, or know where to find some? Which plastic/silicone should I use for a product, based on its application? Are there any US-based manufacturers you would recommend for prototyping and manufacture?

I have some ideas about Shore Hardness (A, 20-30ish), but I don't know what other factors I should be concerned with (durability, color possibilities, temp. range, conductivity, etc).

I'm happy to pay for consultation, but don't know who/where else to ask.

I used the Forum search, but didn't find any discussion of materials, Shore Hardness, etc.

I've called manufacturers and offered to pay for a consultation with their engineers, but I'm either in limbo waiting for a response or they've said flat-out that they focus on manufacturing/distributing and don't do any materials advising. In the meantime, I figure maybe someone here would be happy to trade expertise for value vouchers.

BACKGROUND:
I'm Dean, and I'm developing a product for professional musicians (I've worked full-time as a musician for over a decade). The product is validated — it has a handful of existing competitors, but none have the value skews that I'm envisioning. I've made a clay mock-up and have a Step file drafted; now, I'm looking to pay to have some prototypes made but don't know what specific material should be used.

Also, since this is my first real post here, I just want to mention how grateful I am to MJ and the posters here in the Forum. Being a successful working musician can look surprisingly like being a successful corporate employee, and I've drawn a lot of wisdom and encouragement from the Forum over the years.

Thanks for any pointers you can share! I've been a lurker on the forum while building up my music career; now, I'm excited to pour energy into a product that I think others will find valuable.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Desolation Row

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Nov 16, 2022
Austria
Hi Fastlaners,

QUESTIONS:

Does anyone here have expertise on elastomer materials, or know where to find some? Which plastic/silicone should I use for a product, based on its application? Are there any US-based manufacturers you would recommend for prototyping and manufacture?

I have some ideas about Shore Hardness (A, 20-30ish), but I don't know what other factors I should be concerned with (durability, color possibilities, temp. range, conductivity, etc).

I'm happy to pay for consultation, but don't know who/where else to ask.

I used the Forum search, but didn't find any discussion of materials, Shore Hardness, etc.

I've called manufacturers and offered to pay for a consultation with their engineers, but I'm either in limbo waiting for a response or they've said flat-out that they focus on manufacturing/distributing and don't do any materials advising. In the meantime, I figure maybe someone here would be happy to trade expertise for value vouchers.

BACKGROUND:
I'm Dean, and I'm developing a product for professional musicians (I've worked full-time as a musician for over a decade). The product is validated — it has a handful of existing competitors, but none have the value skews that I'm envisioning. I've made a clay mock-up and have a Step file drafted; now, I'm looking to pay to have some prototypes made but don't know what specific material should be used.

Also, since this is my first real post here, I just want to mention how grateful I am to MJ and the posters here in the Forum. Being a successful working musician can look surprisingly like being a successful corporate employee, and I've drawn a lot of wisdom and encouragement from the Forum over the years.

Thanks for any pointers you can share! I've been a lurker on the forum while building up my music career; now, I'm excited to pour energy into a product that I think others will find valuable.
Hello Dean, sounds like you have something promising in the making!

Could you add which properties the final product should have? (Abrasive and termal resistance, UV / lightproof, lightweight etc? Specific colors, transparency? Smooth or textured?

I‘m sure this will help!

Deaners

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Apr 13, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Dean, sounds like you have something promising in the making!

Could you add which properties the final product should have? (Abrasive and termal resistance, UV / lightproof, lightweight etc? Specific colors, transparency? Smooth or textured?

I‘m sure this will help!
Thanks DR!

Those are exactly the types of things I wanted to consult someone about —

The product is basically a universal shoe or grip for foot pedals — keyboardists and guitarists (when not using a pedalboard) often tape down their pedals to prevent having to adjust them mid-song. The tape leaves you with a gummy residue and lots of waste over time.

Plenty of others have offered other solutions besides tape to this problem, and now I'm throwing my hat into the ring. Another part of my skew is in distribution — I have a good network in a particular niche of the music industry that I know would appreciate a reliable, reusable solution.

One of the value skews I'm interested in maintaining is having a range of colors — not necessarily dozens of shades, but whatever material used would ideally be able to be colored (solid and/or patterned). Would need at least black as an option, but ideally red, green, blue, purple, orange, and yellow would be on the palette.

As for the actual functionality, it should be lightweight and have enough abrasive resistance to last several hundred uses (a few years' worth of touring). Ideally, the finish would be smooth, with some grooves/grips molded into the base. Transparency and lightproofing not really top of mind for this prototype.

Thanks for asking!

Desolation Row

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Nov 16, 2022
Austria
Thanks DR!

Those are exactly the types of things I wanted to consult someone about —

The product is basically a universal shoe or grip for foot pedals — keyboardists and guitarists (when not using a pedalboard) often tape down their pedals to prevent having to adjust them mid-song. The tape leaves you with a gummy residue and lots of waste over time.

Plenty of others have offered other solutions besides tape to this problem, and now I'm throwing my hat into the ring. Another part of my skew is in distribution — I have a good network in a particular niche of the music industry that I know would appreciate a reliable, reusable solution.

One of the value skews I'm interested in maintaining is having a range of colors — not necessarily dozens of shades, but whatever material used would ideally be able to be colored (solid and/or patterned). Would need at least black as an option, but ideally red, green, blue, purple, orange, and yellow would be on the palette.

As for the actual functionality, it should be lightweight and have enough abrasive resistance to last several hundred uses (a few years' worth of touring). Ideally, the finish would be smooth, with some grooves/grips molded into the base. Transparency and lightproofing not really top of mind for this prototype.

Thanks for asking!
I think i can help you with this one.

I‘m actually in the process of making a product in a similar category myself (although its made from aluminum).

For my prototypes i used xometry. They offer a EU & US based service as far as i know. Basically you can upload your model choose a process and get a quote.

For your prototype I would use a type of nylon / polyamide. There are several choices if you use xometry for example. Suited processes would be SLS or HP Multijet Fusion. (In my humble opinion)

If you have more questions or need help with your 3D model don’t refuse to ask.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Deaners

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Apr 13, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
I think i can help you with this one.

I‘m actually in the process of making a product in a similar category myself (although its made from aluminum).

For my prototypes i used xometry. They offer a EU & US based service as far as i know. Basically you can upload your model choose a process and get a quote.

For your prototype I would use a type of nylon / polyamide. There are several choices if you use xometry for example. Suited processes would be SLS or HP Multijet Fusion. (In my humble opinion)

If you have more questions or need help with your 3D model don’t refuse to ask.
This is extremely helpful. Exploring Xometry now — thank you!

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria