The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Prototype Is done, Now What?

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
I've finished the prototype for my product and it works beautifully. I'm going to see if this product has viability by selling the 3d-printed versions on Amazon. Here's my current issue though, what do I do after? How do I go from the 3D-printed proto version to a fully injection molded/manufactured product? Are there companies on Alibaba or any other sources that do custom models for a low price?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
There are many injection molding companies in different countries, and there are different methods of injection molding. Cost for tooling/mold is at least a few thousand. 3D printing at a large scale is also a thing, so I would not rule out this alternative. This all depends on the product you are making, your budget, your MOQ, etc.

Consider that it is probably wise to make more prototypes based on customer feedback, as designing models, creating molds, testing the quality etc. can be a slow or costly process.

adl75

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Oct 13, 2022
Interesting thread!
But to your knowledge is it possible to use clay with some 3D or injection molding..???

any help, ideas will be appreciated! thanks

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Call and reach out to different manufacturers that can do injection molding. See who seems to have the best quality vs prices.

Also, politics and foreign policy aside. Look at the future with China and their lockdowns, shipping costs(fuel), etc. Try and make a calculated decision if it would be best to have manufacturing done locally or internationally.

I don't know your product, so it would be hard to determine what would be best.

Do the DD and figure out pricing.

adl75

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Oct 13, 2022
Call and reach out to different manufacturers that can do injection molding. See who seems to have the best quality vs prices.

Also, politics and foreign policy aside. Look at the future with China and their lockdowns, shipping costs(fuel), etc. Try and make a calculated decision if it would be best to have manufacturing done locally or internationally.

I don't know your product, so it would be hard to determine what would be best.

Do the DD and figure out pricing.
I'm searching, but I didn't found 3D printer or injection moulded that use a clay..( only resin..plastic and derivates..)!

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Does your research show that you need to use a clay injection mold?

Call some of these injectiom mold companies. Ask of they do clay injection molding. When they say no, ask of they have any suggestions or references on companies that do.

Your job now is to hunt or find alternative options.

adl75

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Oct 13, 2022
Does your research show that you need to use a clay injection mold?

Call some of these injectiom mold companies. Ask of they do clay injection molding. When they say no, ask of they have any suggestions or references on companies that do.

Your job now is to hunt or find alternative options.
Thanks, I'm.not sure but probably o have found same companies! I have just contacted them..! I will upgrade

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Are you abke to create a minimum viable product that doesn't cost a lot of money to create? Before spending to much money on injection molds, I would want to test the product first before sinking a bunch of money.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
I've finished the prototype for my product and it works beautifully. I'm going to see if this product has viability by selling the 3d-printed versions on Amazon. Here's my current issue though, what do I do after? How do I go from the 3D-printed proto version to a fully injection molded/manufactured product? Are there companies on Alibaba or any other sources that do custom models for a low price?

Any help would be appreciated.
As you stated pretty clearly, your current issue isn't worrying about injection molding.

It's seeing whether anyone will buy the 3D printed version of the prototype. Then see whether more people will buy it. Maybe so many people will want it so badly that you just sell 3D prints that are god awful expensive to produce and still makes tons of money. Maybe no one will want your beautiful prototype and you start from scratch on another one.

And yes, you can readily find companies to mass produce at a lower cost. However, you'll need to tell them how many are needed, acceptable materials, acceptable defect rates, production timeframe, shipping deadlines and a lot of other things that you'll only know by trying to sell the 3D print versions. Or by not selling them.

Worry about the future when it arrives. ;-)

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
if the 3D print version has enough quality and makes its job, just print and sell!
When its running, just buy a better printer and print and sell. And another...
While printing and selling, when the pressure to look for a producer is big enough, you will look for a producer and find one. They are in your country, too!
I love 3 D print! making cool stuff out of nothing than some plastic. Its like welding, only cooler.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
It's seeing whether anyone will buy the 3D printed version of the prototype. Then see whether more people will buy it.
What are your projected margins selling the 3D print? That includes marketing, production, shipping and labor.

Mass production is only going to (potentially) reduce production costs.

David4431

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
May 25, 2014
I think the advice on this thread to just sell your 3D printed products first to see if there is a market from them is sound. You should just try to sell a few to confirm that there are customers willing to pay for your product.

Once you are sure that you have a willing customer base then you can explore getting your product mass produced. You can go on Alibaba to try and find a plastics molding company but there is a decent chance that you are likely working with a middleman - essentially a contract manufacturer. They'll charge you a markup for helping you get your product produced but if the margins are healthy enough then you might be ok with that.

Something else you may want to consider is having a contract drawn up between you and the manufacturer you want to work with. Another thing to consider is potentially patenting the design for your product if it is unique and you think there's some value in doing so. Just be aware that you may not be able to do this once you release you product into the public sphere (i.e. you are selling it already).

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.