The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Flutter

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
lol
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeLZCy-_m3s]YouTube - Flutter: The New Twitter[/ame]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
"I plan on calling it shutter- without the vowels . . ."

Loved the glasses.

Am I the only one who really believes that, 10 years from now, we'll have PDAs that are linked to wireless earpieces that talk to us and tell us stuff? ("incoming call from Bob, do you want to take it?" or "This is a reminder--today is your anniversary").

I could see a good wireless PDA w/speech recognition (and probably some additional muscle coding*) would be a regular part of how we live--just like cell phones are today.

Am I the only one who really believes this will happen?

-Russ H

*BTW, the muscle coding/receptors would just be something simple to answer your PDA ('yes', or 'no', or 'give me more information') without having to talk. Invaluable for meetings, movies, lots of situations where you need to be quiet! :)

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
It's sad that so many entrepreneurs are so non-imaginary. No real innovational mindset at all.

Copy and improve is OK, it pays the bills I guess, but how much does it really revolutionize society?

Where are the real visionaires who build the new future? Where are the people who have us say "MY GOD, THIS BLOWS MY MIND". It was a while I felt like that when seeing something new (Richard Branson's space effort made me feel that way for sure). OK, some of the stuff I've seen out there have made me feel like it tingled a little bit in my toes, but it didn't give me goose bumps. And there is nothing wrong with being ordinary and make a killing copying others concepts (as I have covered in a previous thread), but it is not much fun to read about. It is also, highly likely, boring in the long run to do as well.

All I've seen when reading sporadical business news is "new company created a product that is almost identical to a well known brand the only difference is.....drum roll, please.... it sells for a fraction of the cost of the well known brand". Impressive, bravo:). Much genius behind that.

When will I see the headlines that says "Entrepreneur/entrepreneurial team creates the first space city":)? When:)?

Or when will I read the headlines that says "Entrepreneur/entrepreneurial team the first to create self cleaning floors and windows":)?

That, my friends, that is news. Real news;). Something people can play with in their minds. Something they can dream of and play with. That is news reporting at it's best. Entertainment and facts in unison.

No one is really helped by a low price or a copy model. People are truly helped by real and genuin innovations that makes their lifes even better and even easier than before.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
I know it seems like I'm always the one to disagree with Fanocks, but I just can't let this "holier than thou" post go without a response...

Personally, I think it's sad that some people aren't smart enough to recognize or appreciate all the innovation that takes place around them. Because some people are so uneducated about how technology works, they just take for granted the awesome breakthroughs that are taking place every day.

Take these things (all innovations from just the past year):

- An unmanned probe to successfully land on Mars (The Phoenix Mars Mission)
- A climate-friendly renewable fuel source that mimicks Diesel (Amyris Renewable Fuel)
- Ability to sequence the human genome for under $60K (Applied Bio)
- A dual-core 64-bit x86 processor in less than a square-inch form factor (Intel)
- A jetpack that hovered for nearly a minute (Martin Jetpack)
- A fully-electric sports car (Tesla Motors)
- A type of plastic made from pig pee instead of fossil fuel (Agroplast)
- 1.5" thick LCD TV screens (Hitachi)
- A Wind-Powered Skyscraper (Bahrain World Trade Center)
- Completely VOC-free paint (Freshaire)
- A camera that shoots over 1 million fps (Vision Research)
- Successful cancer treatments using nano-particles (Kanzius Cancer Research Foundation)

And these are just the things I've read about recently...I'm sure there are thousands more that are at least as impressive...

If those types of things don't give you goosebumps, my guess is that it says more about your lack of appreciation for true innovation than it does about the lack of innovation taking place in the world.

I don't know when. But if building space cities is your definition of "innovational mindset" and "news reporting at it's [sic] best" I think I'm starting to see the disconnect...

I think you really do like to argue;). But I will leave at that. Small changes in technology is not very innovational. A small step for the better for sure, but not innovational as far as I am concerned.

YoungOne

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 19, 2008
I'm not getting it. Are they making fun of Twitter? Its a joke, right?

longview

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 29, 2008
hehehe, yep it's a joke.. but ironically I expect it would get some market share.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I think you really do like to argue;). But I will leave at that. Small changes in technology is not very innovational. A small step for the better for sure, but not innovational as far as I am concerned.

He is actually completly correct. Big jumps in technology take tons of smaller innovations. Do you think we could have landed on the moon if various things were not invented or innovated at the time? We didnt just build a shuttle/systems/launch pad/ and all the planning overnight and land on the moon to get a newspaper headline like entreprenuer landed on the moon.......

So if you are so abrupt about non innovation.... why are you covering normal start-ups in a oh-so-innovative wordpress blog....??

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
This was hilarious. Thanks for the laugh :)

I just found out about a new amazing "twitter like site" that actually is a HUGE networking tool for people like us in the forum.

It is called blellow.com

Here is the description from the site:

Blellow is a productivity microblog with a mission to encourage open collaboration and the sharing of knowledge. We offer threaded replies, groups separated by topic, jobs and projects board, meetups, as well as many other features.

Let me know what you all think! I have my account let me know if you would like to "link up" there.

Last edited:

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
He is actually completly correct. Big jumps in technology take tons of smaller innovations. Do you think we could have landed on the moon if various things were not invented or innovated at the time? We didnt just build a shuttle/systems/launch pad/ and all the planning overnight and land on the moon to get a newspaper headline like entreprenuer landed on the moon.......

So if you are so abrupt about non innovation.... why are you covering normal start-ups in a oh-so-innovative wordpress blog....??

Who said we should create something overnight:)? Have I said that?

To make myself clear: I understand that things are built up of stepping stones. I am not totally wacked:). But thanks for the kind words.

But there are innovations that have many stepping stones that ultimately becomes something that gives people goose bumps. Some others may also have many stepping stones, but may only give a tickle in the toes. More clear now:)?

As a response to JScott and the innovations he mentioned in his post: Some of them are highly interesting and also "goose bump" material:). Nothing wrong with those at all. But what I was particularly aiming at here are those companies creating stuff that are just a copy with a slight differentiation to it. I am not against people doing such, It makes money and it makes a lot of business sense. Why not make easy money on already proven concepts? I am for it, by all means. But it is not innovative to take, say, an ordinary bicycle and then remake the bicycle with a new kind of design. It is unique, but not a world changer. That is what I am aiming at when I am saying it "tickles in my toes".

Regarding the startuppro blog: The design is not intent on being revolutionizing at all. The content is. And as many people have emailed me regarding my current content in both positive and negative manner I seem to strike a cord. That is usually a good thing, because it usually means I do change something, otherwise they wouldn't have wasted or invested their time in the first place. As the saying says (not correctly quoted) "If people get mad at you, then you may be on to something".

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Ok then, I'll bite...

What is so majorly innovative about the "space city" you so desperately desire? What is it about a space city that isn't just an extension of already existing technologies?

We have the ability to go to space and dock (the International Space Station). We have the ability for large-scale self-sustaining long-term pressurization chambers (they've been done underwater).

What about a space city is more innovative than a billion usable transistors in a square inch form factor (my idea of innovation)?

JScott, I rest my case:). I don't have time right now or energy enough to respond. Let's say this: Both of them are innovations, but as always (meaning many other subjects we have discussed already) we have two different views on what "innovation" entitles. OK:)? Friends:)?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
JScott said:
Well, clearly you *did* have the time and energy to respond...you just didn't have a worthwhile response...

Oh, and "I rest my case"... (that means I win, right?)
Jeez, guys, kiss and make up, will you? :rolleyes:

Fanocks was trying to be nice and disengage from an arguement, JScott, and you kicked him in the nuts.

Not very cool, in my book.

Since I didn't see any winkies or smilies in your reply, I figure you're not trying to joke around.

I risk pissing you off by saying this, but a thought:

Sometimes winning is not the most important thing.

-Russ H.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Saying things like "I rest my case..." without offering a case is not disengaging from an argument, in my opinion. It's synonymous with saying, "I'm right and don't have to justify my remarks, no matter how ridiculous they may be."

No, I'm not. Fanocks likes to throw around grand generalizations that are often-times insulting and flat-out inaccurate, and if he's going to do that, I'm going to call him on it. In this case, he said "so many" entrepreneurs "are so non-imaginary. No real innovational mindset at all."

That's a ridiculous statement, and when I questioned him on his own ability to be innovative (asking him what was so innovative about "space cities"), he decided to end the discussion. If you're going to make big generalizations, at least back them up.

That doesn't piss me off at all.

And in this case it really doesn't bother me at all, as I could probably find nearly a dozen PMs and emails from other people on this forum who have privately thanked me for not letting Fanocks get away with this type of crap.

So, I'm not just speaking for myself here...

As much as i do not want to jump in, i do not want Jscott holding the entire load on this.

This forum is full of people looking to start a business or young folks that need direction. The way the Defendant is posting in such generalizations such as Hire a CEO for something that makes less than 50k a year and give out equity shares. All this is theory. A principle is applied in a mastermind group (this forum is a bigger version) that you do not spit out advice that is just theory. theory's do not help people when they need it they are for future planning. I agree that the "holier-than-thou" approach needs to be dropped.

A lot of younger/fresher folks on here absorb every piece of advice that is given on this forum. I would rather it be great practical advice than pipe dreams and silly super generalized theory's of how something could technically work presented in a way as if the advice giver has done it 10 times.

hope this all makes sense, in the end we want to encourage people around here and help them grow both mentally and financially. We do not want to send people on wild goose hunts.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I guess I stand the risk of hacking everyone off including a member of my MM group. This discussion is not productive for our forum. All of the members that have spoken have their own opinions and have shared them here.

I, personally, like to hear the plans of Fanocks. He makes me think bigger than myself. Agreed, sometimes, maybe too big but I think that's what we are all here for, to conceive of the unimaginable. We strive to do things others say can't be done.

JScott, I have been watching as you moved across country and have succeeded in building a business that others said you couldn't do. I have seen you learn some tough lessons and have appreciated you sharing with the forum and on your blog. You, yourself, challenged the status quo and that's a credit to you.

Bottom line, all of us here have great attributes and all of us here have our weaknesses. As a forum we all need to focus on our strengths and work on our weaknesses. We should not be about dragging each other through the mud during a polite disagreement.

Unless there is something new to add to this thread without pointing fingers he said she said, this thread may need to be closed.

In the immortal words of Andres. It is what it is, what are you doing in your life today to benefit from it. Please, let's move on.:cheers:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I guess I stand the risk of hacking everyone off including a member of my MM group. This discussion is not productive for our forum. All of the members that have spoken have their own opinions and have shared them here.

I, personally, like to hear the plans of Fanocks. He makes me think bigger than myself. Agreed, sometimes, maybe too big but I think that's what we are all here for, to conceive of the unimaginable. We strive to do things others say can't be done.

JScott, I have been watching as you moved across country and have succeeded in building a business that others said you couldn't do. I have seen you learn some tough lessons and have appreciated you sharing with the forum and on your blog. You, yourself, challenged the status quo and that's a credit to you.

Bottom line, all of us here have great attributes and all of us here have our weaknesses. As a forum we all need to focus on our strengths and work on our weaknesses. We should not be about dragging each other through the mud during a polite disagreement.

Unless there is something new to add to this thread without pointing fingers he said she said, this thread may need to be closed.

In the immortal words of Andres. It is what it is, what are you doing in your life today to benefit from it. Please, let's move on.:cheers:

I totally agree it is unproductive, and to not be unfair i would not want to lock it and make fannocks feel as though we both said something then had it locked. my purpose was not to create friction nor get off track, but at a point the bad apple needs to be chucked, a lot of people perceive Fannocks to be very knowledgeable because of the tag he has next to his name.. While this isn't always a indicator of experience or good advice its most generally taken that way. So many people take in every word he says, then they go off and spend hours and hours of unproductive time thinking of how to hire a CEO and do global branding for their lemonade stand..... that i believe IS relevant to this forum.

In a word of bad advice on the Internet i come to this forum because there are extremely smart people with real world advice and a good attitude, i want to uphold that threshold to add real world value to these forums and have them not go by the wayside as other financial freedom forums have in the past....

And don't worry about hacking me off Greg, i completely understand what you are saying.

Given all this i am not trying to say fannocks doesn't know anything at all, but i think it needs to be kept at a level of his own experience to be resourceful.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Holy shit! All this from my video?! Whataclusterfuckjackingmythreadlol

I don't know about you guys, but I've got work to do.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Kinda the opposite of the flutter concept, eh? ;)

-Russ H.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
This thread is just too funny, thanks guys, I needed the laugh.

"If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands jelly-side down, what would happen to a cat with jelly toast strapped to its back?"

Moving this thread to the funnies section.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I do think this discussion comes down to the culture we are trying to have here on the forum. Lets imagine that someone was on here advocating Amway as a fastlane approach. Assuming it was not forbidden, wouldn't we all applaud the efforts of someone stepping up and keeping this person from misleading the other less educated readers on the forum?

I am not saying fanocks is selling Amway, but there are times when he/you are advising out of your league, and I applaud JScott for stepping in and doing what he can to protect those who may follow. In some of those circumstances, I think you need to realize the wisdom of what JScott is saying and thank him for the experience he is bringing to the discussion.

There are other times when you hit a home run. I think it is safe to say that on these threads, JScott does not argue with you, nor should he. You have helped me to think bigger about things which I appreciate.

This thread here is neither. You decide to make a point in a thread that was a joke? Maybe you missed that it was in the funnies, it would not be the first time someone thought a thread from the funnies was a serious one.

Jscott, on this one, he is not leading anyone astray, and it may be better to give him the benefit of youth and let these innocuous ones go. Save your fire for the other ones, I do not think this debate is worth it for either of you.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
<mom rant>

1) Think before you speak (type)

Is what you are about to say Thoughtful, Honest, Intelligent, Necessary, and Kind? If not. Zip it.

2) Eat a little humble stew. All of you.

Kurtyordy is right... this is about the atmosphere of these forums. This is not the first time this particular trait has been displayed here.

Know your weaknesses ... and be humble enough to acknowledge them.

I lack focus, a lose my patience, and I don't do a very good job living in the moment. I hold grudges for too long, and I don't forgive easily.

Can any of you that have been involved in a battle of the ego here on this forum (publicly or otherwise) list your weaknesses?
Can you be humble?
Can you show gratitude to others when they help you, know more than you, or offer you a new perspective?

</mom rant>

and hopefully

</ego contest>

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I think you are all nuts!! I am the first person who wants to live in the space city fanocks will build!!

Get em tiger!

To steer this convo in yet another way: Does anyone else get the feeling when watching this video that we as humans are becoming... detached from humanity through technology. (Sorry that is the best way I can put it right now)

When they were talking about constant updates of what a person is doing automatically.. I just started feeling like it was so wrong and unnatural at the human level.

I get it - we all think everyone else is having more fun than us. But if you spend all your time reading what everyone else is doing, when are you going to do something yourself?!!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Does anyone else get the feeling when watching this video that we as humans are becoming... detached from humanity through technology. (Sorry that is the best way I can put it right now)

When they were talking about constant updates of what a person is doing automatically.. I just started feeling like it was so wrong and unnatural at the human level.

I get it - we all think everyone else is having more fun than us. But if you spend all your time reading what everyone else is doing, when are you going to do something yourself?!!
We were having a conversation related to this yesterday...

It seems like the combo twitter/facebook has stealed all time in many people's lives... and every day ten more tools are made available for you to handle your twitts and your facebook and your myspace... I have a hard time tracking my multiple online identities... I can't recall if I am Batman or spiderman in each website anymore... Maybe we all should try "a week without twetts" or "a week w/o facebook updates" to see if we are still human...

great point, rawr.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
RAWR said:
if you spend all your time reading what everyone else is doing, when are you going to do something yourself?!!
:hl::hl::hl:
Amen, bro.

-Russ H.

longview

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 29, 2008
If you think this forum and it's members can provide value to you, you are only doing a disservice to yourself by not sticking around.

Nobody but yourself is making this an all or nothing proposition. I'd suggest taking time off from the forum and when you get interested again, come back.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
As far as I am concerned I have only put forth different ways of looking at things. Obviously JScott and many others don't seem to like that. Sad, that is why I am leaving. Those of you who have an interest of having anything to do we with me outside this forum can email me at fanocks2003@yahoo.se. Don't forget to sign the subject line with your forum username so I have a reference of you.

Thank you and take care:).

Fanocks, I am not going to advocate that you stay or go, that is a personal decision you need to make.

If you decide to go though (or even if you stay), let me give you a little advice. Start a forum over at your blog, (you probably will need to finally buy a domain for this). You do have followers here, and a forum dedicated to startup's would probably fill a niche. I imagine that if you started it and announced it here, then many would check it out, and if the content warranted they would stay and interact.

Your biggest strength is not your ideas, but your passion and your ability to draw other people in with your passion. Your current blog does not capture the passion you display here because you feed it so infrequently. Add a forum, and capture the momentum of your natural skill set.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Fanocks, I am not going to advocate that you stay or go, that is a personal decision you need to make.

If you decide to go though (or even if you stay), let me give you a little advice. Start a forum over at your blog, (you probably will need to finally buy a domain for this). You do have followers here, and a forum dedicated to startup's would probably fill a niche. I imagine that if you started it and announced it here, then many would check it out, and if the content warranted they would stay and interact.

Your biggest strength is not your ideas, but your passion and your ability to draw other people in with your passion. Your current blog does not capture the passion you display here because you feed it so infrequently. Add a forum, and capture the momentum of your natural skill set.

I appreciate your input. You are, after all, the ones who will make this a hit or a shit:). Taken from the radio show NERADIO:). They have a DJ there called DJm8 and he has this show that rates new up and coming trance, dance and techno music as either hit or shit:). Highly recommended radio show if you like that kind of music.

Anyhow, I will probably register startuppro.com for the blog and I guess I will be the one writing the posts in order to keep the passion rating up (even though it may not be more than say 2 times a week. I have other things to do as well:)). My thought was to use a ghost writer, but I guess that in order to have this be something of value then I need to step up to the plate and actually be the star of the show:).

After all, if I where to sell this blog in the future I might still stay put and write for different kinds of fees etc. Right:)?

I will stay here some more (so PhxMJ, sorry. I will stay a while more. I know, I am swift and strange;)). I think I reacted to swiftly today. I have many personal issues (as you probably have noticed by now). One of these issues is a deep fear of being considered a fraud. I don't think I am alone in this as an entrepreneur. Many of my swedish business friends have this fear too. But I am very deeply affected by this and I do overreact and become fearsly reactive against people who come at me with even the slightest hint of accusation in that area.

If you read about Martha Steward then you will see that she used the same reactional style when she went into trial for INSIDERS trading. She defended her image even though it didn't help her a bit doing so in that case. Sometimes, the best thing is not to be to fearsly defending, sometimes it may be better to just back off. I have not yet learnt this, but I am trying every day (it's hard for a debater like me to back off). That is why I voluntarily backed off against JScott in this thread. I just realised that no matter what kind of argument I came up with in the debate against JScott, I would eventually lose anyhow. And not only that, I would have lost with a drainage of energy as a result. Not smart, I am learning. But I think I will have this problem all my life.

JScott, I will not argue with you anymore. It just angers me and it angers you and it clearly annoys people here. So let us just put a filter that separates us both, OK:)? I learnt this by a very kind soul on this forum, because I didn't know I could do this in fact. Thank you for the guy who gave me this information:).

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
One of these issues is a deep fear of being considered a fraud.

But I am very deeply affected by this and I do overreact and become fearsly reactive against people who come at me with even the slightest hint of accusation in that area.

I would have lost with a drainage of energy as a result. Not smart, I am learning. But I think I will have this problem all my life.

I have some of these same problems. (I also almost left the forum)

My push button isnt being considered a fraud so much as a liar. I hate it when people think that I am lying when I am being honest.

(theres much much more that can get me all fired up but you see my point! lol)

I admire you for seeing these types of arguments as a waste of energy and trying to change.

I have also been trying to do the same.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
so PhxMJ, sorry. I will stay a while more.
I don't know why you think I want you to leave. Far from it ... I value your contributions here, not just from a business aspect, but also from a cultural one. And sure, I disagree with some of what you write -- including that statement that started all of this ... however, my job isn't to change your opinion if you are happy with your success and your path. If you say something that I feel is blatantly wrong or misleading, I will say it. Problem is, I don't read every post here, by everyone.

We were having a conversation related to this yesterday...

It seems like the combo twitter/facebook has stealed all time in many people's lives...

I've been on Twitter for a month now and feel it is a big waste of time. Nice for cherrypicking news stories, but the information overflow has been counterproductive and a thief of time, at least to me. I won't give up on it (yet) as I will assume that I just haven't learned to be effective with it yet. My prejudgment is "what good is 20,000 followers if no one really cares?" Ego? Wanting to feel needed? In business, I make decisions based on ROI and ROTI, not ego or "Guy Kawasaki is following me!" (who follows everyone BTW) ... I understand the importance of "its NOT what what you know, but who" which keeps me as an unwitting participant in these social networks. Tim Ferris follows virtually no one.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
fanocks2003 said:
Sometimes, the best thing is not to be to fearsly defending, sometimes it may be better to just back off. I have not yet learnt this, but I am trying every day (it's hard for a debater like me to back off). That is why I voluntarily backed off against JScott in this thread. I just realised that no matter what kind of argument I came up with in the debate against JScott, I would eventually lose anyhow. And not only that, I would have lost with a drainage of energy as a result. Not smart, I am learning . . .
Fanocks:

I guess I was one of the few folks here who saw your disengagement as a sign of maturity and restraint-- I did not see it as "losing" or "copping out".

When I go back and read your first posts on these forums, I see major changes in your tone, your approach, your attitude, and the way in which you speak to other posters.

In my eyes, not only are you learning-- you're learning how to change your style of communication to better accommodate your audience. In business (and in life), this is huge.

Some have inferred that what you are posting here is phony. I think much of that goes to a language difference. JScott points out your spelling/grammar errors (that's what "sic" means), and I've heard a few folks rattle about your use of the term "CEO" for a barbershop-- when I think what you were trying to say was, have someone else run the place. I find it way ironic that the smart/savvy folks on these forums don't see these things.

But, when all is said and done, we see what we want to see.

I've learned many things from your posts and ideas, fanocks. The thing I appreciate most is that you have a *different* POV from me. I enjoy how you see things differently.

-Russ H.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Twitter makes no sense to me either. My opinion or belief is that it will die off fairly quickly. Maybe we're all too old. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.