The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finding clients before forming a company

Burton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 17, 2018
Hey, quick question. Is it a good approach to try to close some deals with potential clients before forming a legal company or should I care about it first? I was thinking about running a simple website and then start cold emails/calls to check how it will work. Btw. service based business in social media market. Thanks in advance for commitment!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Hey, quick question. Is it a good approach to try to close some deals with potential clients before forming a legal company or should I care about it first? I was thinking about running a simple website and then start cold emails/calls to check how it will work. Btw. service based business in social media market. Thanks in advance for commitment!

It is a good idea to do that as you are testing out the market. Status-wise it means you are a freelancer, if it works out for you set up a limited company and crack on from there.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Get clients first.

Consider also starting with your own network, and without creating a website first.

My very first client was a close friend and I didn't need my own website to offer to help him.

What do you need?

Sovereign

Spinning wheels in place
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jul 5, 2015

Legal entity brings expenses, so yes, start with a few successful deals first.

If you are worried about taxes, check your local laws as most countries offer you a "grace period". This is usually (AFAIK) 6-12 months in which you can work without a legal entity and when you do form it, you can assign all your profits and expenses (for that "grace period") to your company.

Burton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 17, 2018
I was thinking about the website because I'm software dev currently so it's just a couple of hours for me, anyway thanks a lot guys! Your advices are definitely enough for me, now is the time to take action. :)

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Legal entity brings expenses, so yes, start with a few successful deals first.

If you are worried about taxes, check your local laws as most countries offer you a "grace period". This is usually (AFAIK) 6-12 months in which you can work without a legal entity and when you do form it, you can assign all your profits and expenses (for that "grace period") to your company.
There are also self-employment services you can use. They accept the payment, pay all the taxes and hand you the remainder as a normal salary. In case a client wants a VAT-number or something. Lets you get the ball rolling and focus on providing value instead of doing paperwork

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.