The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Finding clients before forming a company

Burton

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 17, 2018
Hey, quick question. Is it a good approach to try to close some deals with potential clients before forming a legal company or should I care about it first? I was thinking about running a simple website and then start cold emails/calls to check how it will work. Btw. service based business in social media market. Thanks in advance for commitment!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Roli

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015
Hey, quick question. Is it a good approach to try to close some deals with potential clients before forming a legal company or should I care about it first? I was thinking about running a simple website and then start cold emails/calls to check how it will work. Btw. service based business in social media market. Thanks in advance for commitment!
It is a good idea to do that as you are testing out the market. Status-wise it means you are a freelancer, if it works out for you set up a limited company and crack on from there.

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Get clients first.

Consider also starting with your own network, and without creating a website first.

My very first client was a close friend and I didn't need my own website to offer to help him.

What do you need?

Sovereign

Spinning wheels in place
Jul 5, 2015
Legal entity brings expenses, so yes, start with a few successful deals first.

If you are worried about taxes, check your local laws as most countries offer you a "grace period". This is usually (AFAIK) 6-12 months in which you can work without a legal entity and when you do form it, you can assign all your profits and expenses (for that "grace period") to your company.

OP
OP
Burton

Burton

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 17, 2018
I was thinking about the website because I'm software dev currently so it's just a couple of hours for me, anyway thanks a lot guys! Your advices are definitely enough for me, now is the time to take action. :)

jon.M

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Legal entity brings expenses, so yes, start with a few successful deals first.

If you are worried about taxes, check your local laws as most countries offer you a "grace period". This is usually (AFAIK) 6-12 months in which you can work without a legal entity and when you do form it, you can assign all your profits and expenses (for that "grace period") to your company.
There are also self-employment services you can use. They accept the payment, pay all the taxes and hand you the remainder as a normal salary. In case a client wants a VAT-number or something. Lets you get the ball rolling and focus on providing value instead of doing paperwork

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom