The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane Fitness and Lessons Learned

Anything related to matters of the mind

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
Hey everybody!

I would like to briefly share with you the story of how I created my fitness company and some of the crucial lessons that I learned along the way.

How It All Got Started
A year and a half ago I got the crazy idea of starting my own business without knowing what that actually meant. At the time I was still in university with the naive dream of one day becoming a doctor or a biology professor. But 3 years into my education it just wasn't going as good as I originally planned. I realized that my whole life I loved creating things, and on top of that, I have been a fitness fanatic since I was 14. Over the years I have transformed my body from a skinny 140lbs kid to almost 195lbs of lean muscle. Finding an actual business idea proved to be more difficult than I imagined and took me the better part of the first month of my journey. But it all came together when my younger brother's friend came over and asked me to show him what he can do to look like me. I realized that I could combine my love for creating things with my love for fitness, and so it began.

The Lessons

Challenges immediately arose from day 1. First, I knew I wanted to create an online business because it was so cheap to get into but I did not have any programming skills at all. Secondly, I always loved psychology but knew almost nothing about marketing, and thirdly I knew absolutely nothing about business! This brings me to lesson number 1

Lesson 1. You must love learning, and almost anything can be learned at this day and age.

Learning To Program
We live in an amazing time. You can go to amazon and find almost any book or textbook imaginable. So while going to school, going to the gym, and seeing my girlfriend, I set aside time for myself and started learning programming and how to create a website. I used resources such as Lynda.com, online tutorials and stackoverflow.com. My approach was very simple: dive right in and solve one problem after another. I would watch a quick 10 hour course on say PHP and then dive right into it, saying to my self “okay, so what do I want to create?” Sometimes it was very frustrating, but I saw that the more time I gave a problem, the more likely I was to solve it. A year and a half later I am proud to say that I solved every problem and was able to learn all the major web development languages including Objective-C (for iPhone development). Looking back I never would of thought it was possible, but nothing is as hard as it first seems.

Programming Vs. Outsourcing a programmer
My 2 cents on the programming vs. no programming debate that has been going on around the forum is as follows: programming is not for everyone but being able to program yourself gives you a long term advantage. As the founder of any project, you will undoubtedly care the most about the vision of your company and the quality of the product. Being able to program gives you the advantage of possessing full control over the entire experience and maintaining a higher quality than someone who you would hire. I personally loved the process so if you have the time, the will and maybe enjoy the process a bit I would recommend that you do learn to program and build most of the site yourself.

Marketing
I also quickly realized that marketing is a much more important contributing factor to your business's success than I originally believed. I started reading as many books as I possibly could. Books such as Positioning by Jack Trout and Influence by Robert Cialdini (both gold mines of information) really helped me.

While searching for books I also came across MJ’s book which was definitely a great read and helped solidify and articulate everything I felt. It does a great job making you realize how important it is to build a business that separates time from yourself and I tried to apply all of that that to my own company.

Lesson 2. It’s a lonely road, but don't give in.

When I first started working on my business I did not tell anyone. To this day, even my parents don’t know that I built an entire company. There are a few benefits to this. First of all, I had no pressure at all from my parents, or friends. I could take my time, and do things at my own pace, without feeling guilty by setting expectations but not delivering. You are almost guaranteed to fail or hit a major roadblock at one point or another. Entrepreneurs would understand this, where as your parents or friends might not understand that its part of the process and view your stall as a failure rather than a lesson. Not telling people what you are doing, removes that pressure and feeling of disappointment.

The other benefit is that to this day, I keep imagining the day that I will show my family the company with all the work I have done. This surprisingly, added so much motivation to the entire process! Lastly, if I told them about what I was doing before I had anything even on paper, I would imagine my friends and family dismissing everything as empty talk, whereas when I show them results, it’s a whole different ball game.

Of course, there are drawbacks to this approach. Building any business could be an extremely lonely place to be in. When times got hard for example, I felt sad and jealous of seeing my friends going to bars, partying and looking like they are having a great time while I locked myself in my bedroom, reading and coding into the long hours of the night. This feelings almost always went away by next morning and I would wake up feeling that I am proactively steering the ship of life while they were probably not.

The company I created is called LeanLegion, you can find the link here. I admit that I still have a lot to learn and I have yet to see where this journey will take me but looking back and seeing how much I have evolved makes me wonder how far I can still go.

I am glad I finally joined the forums and I would love to hear your feedback and comments about what you think about the site and if you could suggest places where I could improve on, I would greatly appreciate it.

Dmitri

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AgonI

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 9, 2012
Saint Louis
Welcome to the forum!

I agree with most of what you said. I thought the website is excellent, did you build it on your own?
I'd also like to know if you have any paying customer on your website at this moment?
Did you hire a copywriter to write the content on your sales page or you did it yourself?

Best of luck!

• Banned

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
Thank you AgonI! I build the entire site from scratch and wrote all the content myself. I just launched a few days ago but we already have a growing mailing list, mostly friends of friends.

klh6686

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Aug 12, 2007
Ga
Awesome job! I really like the website and It's an excellent job for someone that picked up programming on their own. I especially like the tour page, very well done.

Just a couple thoughts, on the home page the "personalized workout" and other links, when you hover it gives the impression that it is an actual clickable link. Perhaps that should send the user to the tour page? Also, once on the tour page, perhaps you could use a "sticky" header to keep a "Join now" button available to the user since that page is quite long. I see you have a button twice along the way and that is really good but perhaps something like this would be a good idea? Flywheel - Elegant WordPress hosting & management or welcome to teamgeek

Now I'm a programmer, so this may be taken with a grain of salt but perhaps there's a better image choice more relevant to the idea at hand for the home page? I'm far from a designer so just throwing it out there. Speaking of which, you've done a great job w/ the design side.

All in all, fantastic!

jacob

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Nov 21, 2011
Great post, I agree that sometime pressure from your family can make a big impact in your business especially when they have big expectations in you.

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Well done for diving in and just getting started Dmitri - better than getting hung up on analysis paralysis or busywork.

My only input at this stage - I viewed the site from my iPhone, and its hard to view as the design isn't responsive. I would suggest looking at making it a responsive design for smart phones and tablets also - you'll be surprised how many of your site visitors will be mobile.
I think particularly in your market, people are more mobile and less tied down to their PCs/Laptops.

Good luck with the launch and marketing of the business!

• Banned

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks everyone for the amazing feedback for the site! I greatly appreciate it and it really helps. So thanks again:thumbsup:

JSY

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Dec 23, 2012
What framework did you use to build the site? Just curious.

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
Welcome to the forum! And wow....that site has a great look and feel to it. Good job! Keep us posted with your progress along the way. :)

Eskil, thank you so much! I really appreciate all the positive comments, and definitely will!

theadamie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 30, 2012
Kyoto, Japan
Hey, I'm also a bodybuilder, I just joined this site and am only half way through the book, but I noticed a few things with the site.

Your pictures don't seem to have a consistent "feel" to them, when I look at your site it looks to me like you got your stuff from a stock photo website like Stock Photos, Royalty-Free Images and Vectors - Shutterstock and you probably aren't connected to any of those people . This is my opinion, but on a training website I want to see your REAL results, professional photos or not doesn't matter to me. I've worked with Noel Fuller a little bit, you should look at his website
Noel Fuller Professional Training - Noel Fuller Professional Fitness Training . All of the pictures are of actual clients. He has several IFBB pros and also regular people who changed their bodies dramatically. I would much rather see something like this, than photos grabbed from other websites.

You don't have a results page showcasing what you've done, or your personal competitive/transformation achievements. Why should I give you money?

Not trying to be harsh or anything, but this is what I see when I look at your site.

theadamie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 30, 2012
Kyoto, Japan
Oh, and with the pictures, I think it would persuade me a lot more if you had the models' names with the pictures. This shows people that they're real people, and they can find them on facebook or whatever and actually see that they have worked with you and that you guys are commenting back and forth or whatever. Just my 2 cents.

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
Hey, I'm also a bodybuilder, I just joined this site and am only half way through the book, but I noticed a few things with the site.

Your pictures don't seem to have a consistent "feel" to them, when I look at your site it looks to me like you got your stuff from a stock photo website like Stock Photos, Royalty-Free Images and Vectors - Shutterstock and you probably aren't connected to any of those people . This is my opinion, but on a training website I want to see your REAL results, professional photos or not doesn't matter to me. I've worked with Noel Fuller a little bit, you should look at his website
Noel Fuller Professional Training - Noel Fuller Professional Fitness Training . All of the pictures are of actual clients. He has several IFBB pros and also regular people who changed their bodies dramatically. I would much rather see something like this, than photos grabbed from other websites.

You don't have a results page showcasing what you've done, or your personal competitive/transformation achievements. Why should I give you money?

Not trying to be harsh or anything, but this is what I see when I look at your site.

Hey theadamie,

I love honest reviews and feedback so no worries at all. You are right, the icons and photos of people were taken from a stock photos website. The reason is that the product itself, the customized workout system, the tracking systems, the forums, the meal plan and diet systems all took a very long time to code. So I just did not have time to take the pictures myself. But I did try to use them to a minimum, on the tour page there are only 3 pictures of people and the rest are the screenshots of the product itself. Nevertheless, you are absolutely right, people love seeing results. We are just starting out but I have plans in the future to have a page fully dedicated to before and after pictures. Once we get members who use the system and go through our workout, I will ask people if they could provide a before and after picture. I already planned a system on how I am gonna do that. Anyhow thanks for feedback.

theadamie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 30, 2012
Kyoto, Japan
cool cool. I'm gonna start learning to program soon as well, I'm actually working with a programmer on some language learning software, it's a niche application, but it hasn't been done before so we'll have the market to ourselves. I may ask you some questions later. Can you write Python? That's what I'm gonna start with.

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
cool cool. I'm gonna start learning to program soon as well, I'm actually working with a programmer on some language learning software, it's a niche application, but it hasn't been done before so we'll have the market to ourselves. I may ask you some questions later. Can you write Python? That's what I'm gonna start with.

That sounds awesome, and good luck with your application! I personally learned PHP instead of Python, but once you learn one language, it doesn't take long to grasp other once. When are you thinking of releasing your application?

theadamie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 30, 2012
Kyoto, Japan
As soon as we can, I'm planning on going back to the US in the spring time and would like to finish it while I'm still in Asia. I'm studying here in Japan right now, but my Japanese isn't that great "yet". I am however pretty fluent in Korean and have some connections in Korea, plus being one of the few white guys who speaks Korean automatically lands me brownie points in a lot of social circles. I've actually been interviewed on TV and been on the radio lol. So yea, not sure exactly how I should market it, but the amount of Koreans studying English is insane, a lot more than in Japan.

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
As soon as we can, I'm planning on going back to the US in the spring time and would like to finish it while I'm still in Asia. I'm studying here in Japan right now, but my Japanese isn't that great "yet". I am however pretty fluent in Korean and have some connections in Korea, plus being one of the few white guys who speaks Korean automatically lands me brownie points in a lot of social circles. I've actually been interviewed on TV and been on the radio lol. So yea, not sure exactly how I should market it, but the amount of Koreans studying English is insane, a lot more than in Japan.

Wow that's really cool! Well all the best to you theadamie. Let me know if you need to ask me anything in the future.

ambition21

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 30, 2012
As everyone else has said, fantastic looking and smooth site man. Great job.

My only concern for you is that the service you are offering is so generic and widely available in the health and fitness industry. What separates you from everyone else? Why should I subscribe to your service when I can subscribe to someone like Greg Plitt, the #1 fitness model in the world (gregplitt.com)? Or Josef Rakich (josefrakichfitness.com)? Or Rob Riches (robriches.ning.com)?

...see my point?

You need to focus on a specific niche in health and fitness industry if you want to be successful. The market for online coaching, personalized diets, and personalized workouts is extremely competitive and over saturated. I'm very involved with this industry and have learned the hard way that focusing on a NEED is a must if you want to be successful. There is just too much free material in articles, advice, workouts, youtube videos, and smart phone apps that make getting in shape easier than ever. I can look up how to do an exercise on youtube. I can count calories using MyFitnessPal (free iphone app), which also gives me a p/f/c macronutrient breakdown. I can go to bodybuilding.com for the largest online fitness forum...etc.

I do like the concept of an EXCLUSIVE, ELITE online fitness community, which you hint at on your sign up page by only accepting 10 new members every week and "serious and committed" mindset. THAT is something that I would maybe even sign up for, and may be something worth exploring as you develop your (great looking) site.

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
As everyone else has said, fantastic looking and smooth site man. Great job.

My only concern for you is that the service you are offering is so generic and widely available in the health and fitness industry. What separates you from everyone else? Why should I subscribe to your service when I can subscribe to someone like Greg Plitt, the #1 fitness model in the world (gregplitt.com)? Or Josef Rakich (josefrakichfitness.com)? Or Rob Riches (robriches.ning.com)?

...see my point?

You need to focus on a specific niche in health and fitness industry if you want to be successful. The market for online coaching, personalized diets, and personalized workouts is extremely competitive and over saturated. I'm very involved with this industry and have learned the hard way that focusing on a NEED is a must if you want to be successful. There is just too much free material in articles, advice, workouts, youtube videos, and smart phone apps that make getting in shape easier than ever. I can look up how to do an exercise on youtube. I can count calories using MyFitnessPal (free iphone app), which also gives me a p/f/c macronutrient breakdown. I can go to bodybuilding.com for the largest online fitness forum...etc.

I do like the concept of an EXCLUSIVE, ELITE online fitness community, which you hint at on your sign up page by only accepting 10 new members every week and "serious and committed" mindset. THAT is something that I would maybe even sign up for, and may be something worth exploring as you develop your (great looking) site.

Hey ambition21,

Great reply, I really appreciate your concern and feedback. I spend a lot of time thinking about that exact same problem. I was wondering if you have any ideas as to what would convey what our product is about a little bit better?

The main aspect that differentiates us from the competition is that instead of giving you any generic workout, we have an extensive questionnaire that tells us where you are right now and what your fitness goals are. Based on the answers you provide, you get a specific workout plan designed for you. Your workout plan is not a workout that worked for others that you can find on the sites you provided, but it is designed specifically for you. On top of that you also get a meal plan that again is customized to you. Both the meal plan and workout plan also have a nice level of flexibility in them so that they fit with your life and not the other way around. For example if one week you can only workout 4 days instead of 5, the workout adjusts itself for that week. It also monitors your progress and if for example you need more work on certain areas, it notifies us and we add an exercise, or change your reps for example. On top of that you will also get access to your workout at the gym for example, or anywhere on the go, so you don't have to take a pen and paper with you, just your iPod or mobile app.

Lastly, I tried to make LeanLegion a bit different from the competition which I studied extensively, sites like MyFitnessPal etc.. I designed our tracking tools for example to be ads free, very easy to use and very fast, elegant and fun. It would take you 30 seconds to record what you ate today the same log that would take you 3 minutes to record on MyFitnessPal. Would that be something you would sign up for?

I am very flexible with my thinking and the direction to take with the site, so your honest opinion will be really appreciated.

Thanks again for the great feedback!

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks everyone. All your amazing feedback and support made us slightly rethink what we are all about. We decided that we are going to focus on the community aspect and provide the world with an exclusive, premium fitness community. LeanLegion will be a place where people will get all the support, motivation and tools they will ever need to succeed in their fitness goals. I will do everything I can to create an extremely friendly, positive and supportive environment and try create a place on the internet, where people will not only leave with a great body, but also with great memories and a huge new circle of friends.

I would love to hear your feedback and comments.

Thanks again everyone.

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
I live in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Great job on executing and not just that but for paying attention and allow the created entity to lead you where it wants to go, for seeing that and changing direction.

You are a great person and this statement by you confirms this:

I would watch a quick 10 hour course on say PHP and then dive right into it, saying to my self “okay, so what do I want to create?”

No normal person speaks of 10 hours as a quick thing -- except for Fastlaners of course. You got the juice and is doing your thing, congrats on that.

And yes, the site is awesome and shows your passion and attention to detail. You are showing what you are made of on the inside. Thanks.

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
Great job on executing and not just that but for paying attention and allow the created entity to lead you where it wants to go, for seeing that and changing direction.

You are a great person and this statement by you confirms this:

I would watch a quick 10 hour course on say PHP and then dive right into it, saying to my self “okay, so what do I want to create?”

No normal person speaks of 10 hours as a quick thing -- except for Fastlaners of course. You got the juice and is doing your thing, congrats on that.

And yes, the site is awesome and shows your passion and attention to detail. You are showing what you are made of on the inside. Thanks.

Yahdmon, thank you so much. That was really pleasant to read and gave me a smile. Thanks again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.