The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane Degrees

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 5, 2020
Tennessee
Hello. I was just going to ask about thoughts on degrees that would be considered "fastlane".
I am starting college soon (without any loans due to a completed Service commitment) in order to gain some skills i can use for my financial independence pursuits. I am thinking to major in Software systems, but may not be able to get into it this semester due to Math placement. Just in case, does anyone have recommendations for other degrees that would teach necessary fastlaner skills? I am thinking Software Systems is a great idea, i could make programs or games and such. But I am not sure what else besides that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Hello. I was just going to ask about thoughts on degrees that would be considered "fastlane".
I am starting college soon (without any loans due to a completed Service commitment) in order to gain some skills i can use for my financial independence pursuits. I am thinking to major in Software systems, but may not be able to get into it this semester due to Math placement. Just in case, does anyone have recommendations for other degrees that would teach necessary fastlaner skills? I am thinking Software Systems is a great idea, i could make programs or games and such. But I am not sure what else besides that.
What do you consider to be a Fastlane skill?

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
University is free in my country, so I chose business, starting masters in autumn. Most value is probably the accounting stuff, not that I like it, but you gotta know your numbers in whatever business you will choose in the future. If you could find something that helps to be better at sales, that would help a ton too. Without sales you have no business really, unless you are a startup, there you can sell to investors first.
I can do web apps and websites too, but this I have all learned from youtube or just having a project to do and learning to do it. If you can find a way for people to invest into your idea, you don't need this skill, since you can just hire somebody with these technical skills.

In short, it seems like there is more shortage in people solving problems and making a good business out of it, rather than the lack of technical skills.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
The best "fastlane" degrees in my opinion are those that you can't pay someone else to do for you, exactly there are none.
Just think about it, if you really want to follow any business route you can always pay someone to do stuff for you, have an invention and need a mechanical engineer?
Go ahead and pay the best one.
Wanna open a private doctor's studio, find good doctors.
See where I'm going?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sales, marketing, mathematics, engineering, computer science, statistics, finance, data mining, AI, robotics...

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
Touchy Feely

(I actually thought this was a joke when I first heard it, it's legit. Part of Stanford's business grad school.)

WabiSabi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 2, 2019
Katy, Texas
What are you GOOD at and what are you WILLING to do? Anything can be fastlane as long as it makes CENTS.

Computers are fantastic but you don't need a degree to get good at it.

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 5, 2020
Tennessee
What do you consider to be a Fastlane skill?
Something that follows CENTS... something that not many people can do, you can make something wildly different from anything else (like in the case of video games hence my choice)
it can be created once and then grow like a tree (scalability and all that)

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 5, 2020
Tennessee
University is free in my country, so I chose business, starting masters in autumn. Most value is probably the accounting stuff, not that I like it, but you gotta know your numbers in whatever business you will choose in the future. If you could find something that helps to be better at sales, that would help a ton too. Without sales you have no business really, unless you are a startup, there you can sell to investors first.
I can do web apps and websites too, but this I have all learned from youtube or just having a project to do and learning to do it. If you can find a way for people to invest into your idea, you don't need this skill, since you can just hire somebody with these technical skills.

In short, it seems like there is more shortage in people solving problems and making a good business out of it, rather than the lack of technical skills.
That makes a lot of sense, i will have to keep in mind the "address problems not money" idea. I still think that is where i am heading with this particular path however so not veering too far yet.

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 5, 2020
Tennessee
What are you GOOD at and what are you WILLING to do? Anything can be fastlane as long as it makes CENTS.

Computers are fantastic but you don't need a degree to get good at it.
True, but i got the education for free so... might as well use it. I have enough mental filters to be able to sift through the crap that will keep me "in a box".
I learned how to do that after talking to financial advisors, haha.

Hiimmj15

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 5, 2020
Tennessee
The best "fastlane" degrees in my opinion are those that you can't pay someone else to do for you, exactly there are none.
Just think about it, if you really want to follow any business route you can always pay someone to do stuff for you, have an invention and need a mechanical engineer?
Go ahead and pay the best one.
Wanna open a private doctor's studio, find good doctors.
See where I'm going?
I think, you mean like, all these degrees do is create more of the same, right?

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Something that follows CENTS... something that not many people can do, you can make something wildly different from anything else (like in the case of video games hence my choice)
it can be created once and then grow like a tree (scalability and all that)
Oh those Fastlane skills.
Between you & me, virtually every business can be made Fastlane, scaled & replicated.
In fact your pastry idea is probably better & cheaper to develop than another video game.
Half the forum members wouldn't know what bricks & mortar was if it hit them in the face.
They're all too busy pursuing digital dreams.

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
Oh those Fastlane skills.
Between you & me, virtually every business can be made Fastlane, scaled & replicated.
In fact your pastry idea is probably better & cheaper to develop than another video game.
Half the forum members wouldn't know what bricks & mortar was if it hit them in the face.
They're all too busy pursuing digital dreams.
In my case, I grew up with computers, I am good at it and have always had people asking help to fix something at their computer, so with my skill set it just does not make sense to open up bricks & mortar at this stage of life.
I see what you mean though, tons of people thinking digital industry is easy money and you can see tons of people fail at it too.

If we are talking about developing a video game, I would love to do that too one day, but I am not going to do that until I have tons of money to throw at it and treat it as a hobby. It just might not be picked up by the audience. I know a guy who is developing his video game, dude banged 200 investors doors until he got funding for it. Game is released now and steam charts show 2 players playing. If that is your only bet, it can be pretty stressful. Guy has few other successful businesses though, so he probably can afford to wait until players pick up the game.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.