The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Facebook shops?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
D

Deleted78083

Yes, just read about it, the platform will be free and will allow shops to connect to their customers and sell their items. Fb won't take any commision and will make money with advertisement, a bit like alibaba does.

IMO, this is the beginning of the end for FB. Them doing e-commerce won't be allowed under anti-trust rules.

Adgo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Apr 7, 2018
Belgium
Instagram shops have been available for a while and I don't understand why every brand is not using them already. It seems so convenient to promote your new product, you can identify product in your posts or your IG stories and the customers only has 3 clicks to do to buy what you have to offer.

It could help small businesses who are still scared to open an eshop to sell their products.

Maybe it's the right time to start selling the implementation of these new "small eshop" to business owners.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Fb won't take any commision and will make money with advertisement
For now.
Them doing e-commerce won't be allowed under anti-trust rules.
There is nothing in anti trust rules forbidding them to do that.
If they were buying other company, then rules might apply.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Instagram shops have been available for a while and I don't understand why every brand is not using them already.
They learned Amazon lesson.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I’m not so active in Facebook. Anyone seen these or know about them? It makes sense for Facebook to offer them.

> Introducing Facebook Shops: Helping Small Businesses Sell Online

Little bit of general info in this Podcast!

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
When you sell on Amazon you don't sell as You.
People "buy on Amazon" and not on "John's Store on Amazon."

This basically means that you build brand for Amazon and not for yourself.

Same applies to FB.

Also you have no control over what will happen in the future on the app/website.

Will FB show ads to other brands when people will visit your store slashing your revenue in half?
Will one algo change will wipe your free traffic out of existence?

Hope that helps!

D

DeletedUser0287

Same applies to FB.

Also you have no control over what will happen in the future on the app/website.

Will FB show ads to other brands when people will visit your store slashing your revenue in half?

Hope that helps!

Ok, that is what I thought you meant.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
We just set up our Facebook shop and did some preliminary testing.

Our current projections are showing 30-40% of our revenue will come from FB shops in the next year.

I don't think people understand how much of a game changer this is, for some industries.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016

Our current projections are showing 30-40% of our revenue will come from FB shops in the next year.

I don't think people understand how much of a game changer this is, for some industries.

I'm 50/50 on this. I've read that FB marketplace is filled with people who just ask for product and never reply back.
Will it be same for shops?
If people will chargeback to oblivion or be very "return happy", then it might not work out.
Not to say that FB won't find its niche somewhere for few billions of additional revenue.
But as i said. i'm 50/50.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm 50/50 on this. I've read that FB marketplace is filled with people who just ask for product and never reply back.
If people will chargeback to oblivion or be very "return happy", then it might not work out.
Not to say that FB won't find its niche somewhere for few billions of additional revenue.
So something to test no doubt.

Yeah. I suspect it’s going to be a game changer just from how people interact on their phone. Good things happen when people can buy in less clicks and in an environment they’re already comfortable.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC

It's not an evolution of marketplace.

Think of it as eBay correction: Craigslist (marketplace) vs Amazon (shops).

We've already been selling through Insta/FB and our chargebacks are lower than industry standards. We're small enough to be customer centric though, so that may change.

Yeah. I suspect it’s going to be a game changer just from how people interact on their phone. Good things happen when people can buy in less clicks and in an environment they’re already comfortable.

That's a great point! We may see an increase in mobile sales. I've always struggled with this area in ecomm. Can't crack 18% of sales on mobile.

Last edited:

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
It's not an evolution of marketplace.

Think of it as eBay correction: Craigslist (marketplace) vs Amazon (shops).

We've already been selling through Insta/FB and our chargebacks are lower than industry standards. We're small enough to be customer centric though, so that may change.
Glad to hear it works out for you. Reminds me of Zappos. Amazon or whoever could copy their technical side to the T but Zappos have their twist on customer support.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas

Same applies to FB.

Hope that helps!
I agree about lack of control but I disagree that people are buying the Amazon brand.

Maybe for some commoditized products but a lot of people search brand names too.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
What has Zappos done? I'm not familiar.
In essence: a lot!
But seriously, they've put customer totally at the top.

For example, if they haven't had some shoe in their catalog but customer asked for it, they were going to other brick and mortar stores and buying it for them.

Another thing was return policy. They started with 1 month or so free return policy and ended up offering 365 days return policy. In fact, more people were buying because of it and not much more doing returns.

Also their call center was top notch. And probably if they would be named 'call center' they would feel offended ;)
They were, rather friendliest chat then anything else.

P.S.Sorry for long post, i don't want derail the topic.

Last edited:

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
I agree about lack of control but I disagree that people are buying the Amazon brand.

Maybe for some commoditized products but a lot of people search brand names too.
That's a good point. I'd have question, though, if they search for brands created on Amazon or brands established somewhere else.

If they search for Adidas or Nike, then they don't search just sneakers.
But if they'd search like rubber boots for work i'm not sure if they would remember what brand they were.

That's my main concern, but i'm willing to learn.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.