The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Facebook Ads Deactivated - £1m revenue lost

Marketing, social media, advertising

Bourbons

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Mar 28, 2016
Newcastle, UK
I'm used to Google, they aren't that bad for suspending accounts (or maybe I just know whats allowed more); but this last year I've found more profitable growth in Facebook for one of my businesses in particular.

I've been running it for quite some time, but then for what seems like no reason, my ad account was deactivated; and although it seemed hopeful it would be reinstated quickly, 2 months have passed and I'm looking for other solutions to replace a very profitable £1m annual revenue line to the business.

Anyone have experience in Facebook who may give pointers on why my account was disabled?

Things I think may be the issue;

1. Image quality; we've found 'meme' ads to be very effective for lead generation, much more than better quality images such as our own illustrated cartoons
  2. Ad text being too provocative perhaps
  3. Facebook is overzealous and bugged (my first disabled account was legitimately bugged and the support struggled to give help with it; not because it was a serious ban/suspension!) - my least favourite outcome as its not very dependable for a stable business
  4. My subsequent accounts have been linked to my first disabled account

I have things I can try, but every failure is another disabled account and associated card; I've even migrated the wrbsite to a new domain to avoid drawing a line to the new account. I have created a new brand, but it was on the same management account and very similar to the first in style. I can try all new images. I can try all new ad text.

Does anyone know if facebook dislike 'meme' ads?

Would it be more appropriate to illustrate our own cartoon ads?

Anyone have any experience/similar journey with Facebook?

I've been through this over the years on google and no longer have issues, but if I knew what I did today about Google I'd have avoided a lot of time and expense

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.
It's just part of dealing with Facebook.

There's no avoiding it.

You managed to scale up to 1mil revenue before you got the banhammer. That's good. You can do it again.

But you should ALWAYS have backups. As in, backup, independent accounts on Facebook ready to get rolling as soon as your primary one gets suspended. And backups outside Facebook.

This is why the tenet of Control is so important, and why mitigating your lack of control is crucial for sustained success.

How many of those 1 mil in revenue leads have you collected outside FB and turned into recurring revenue? Have you got a list you can use for cashflow while you re-enable your outbound traffic?

Sorry this happened to you. Can't do much except start over or hope they unsuspend you which is a difficult process and unlikely.

There's nothing wrong with meme/provocative ads. Lots of people use them because they're really strong. Who knows what triggered the algo to slice you? Sucks.

Edit: I recommend looking at Maxwell Finn's stuff from Unicorn Innovations. He has some good content on dealing with Facebook's policies and dumb suspensions. They're unavoidable, so preparing for them is the best way to make sure you don't suddenly drop a million in revenue heh.

Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
How many times have you gone through Facebook support so far, and have they given you a reason?

I run Facebook ads for companies & have been doing so for years. Deactivations are common. I've gotten the accounts back most of the time and it's usually returned within 2 weeks.

What reason did they give you for deactivating your account?

Your ads are almost certainly not the problem unless you're violating copyright law, but your offer might be. If your offer isn't compliant there's nothing that can be done: change your offer and create a new business manager.

My general solution has always been to go through support multiple times. Support sucks and the agents rarely talk to each other: all they have is your records. One agent might think your account is in the wrong, another might think you're doing everything right. Basically, don't stop.

Facebook does deactivate accounts incorrectly. Happens all the time. This could have happened to you but 2 months is a long time to be waiting and if your accounts keep getting banned over and over again then it's probably because they detect something that you're doing to be non-compliant.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
F*ck me that sucks.
I've been there.

In the end I just grew tired of FB and gave up on wasting my advertising dollars with them.

My theory is they're trying to get rid of as many small accounts as possible and only deal with a small pool of really lucrative ad spenders i.e 80/20 rule or perhaps its closer to 90/10 or something with them.

I believe all the small guys will eventually get tossed to the side for the big large corporate accounts that are able to spend $1-$100 million dollars PER DAY like Coca-Cola etc.

Anyways, F*ck em, sucks to be you. You've got a major pain in the a$$ lesson in "CONTROL"... learn from it and diversify, or perhaps figure out a way to generate traffic without depending on only 1 source.

Lastly, I have been in the industry for 7+ so I know a few tricks... but I honestly can't be bothered to go through the hoops any more. You can't build a business like this. However if you seriously want to get back to advertising FB, then I have a solution. Send me a message with your skype.

P.s if you've create accounts after you've been banned and they've caught on to you doing that, you're technically violating their terms by "circumventing" and they'll shut you down just for doing that. They're some real mean SOBs.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
This has been going on since 2007, when I got into FB ads.

This happens at the small level ( small spends ) and at the large brand level. I've worked on ad accounts that spend $100k+ a day and it happens there too.

If you want to continue working with FB, you need to have:

1. Backup business manager accounts
2. Backup ad accounts
3. Backup FB pages
4. Backup domains/URLs
5. Backup ads and LPs ( designs, etc )
6. Backup cards, potentially with different billing addresses and card user names
7. Backup FB users who are admins to the different pages and ad accounts

If you aren't willing to go that far, then don't do FB anymore. I'm not saying you have to, but why half a$$ stuff?

I've been having to do this since 2007, but when the money is good why would you not do it? If you are tired of doing it then why havent you hired someone else to do it for you if the money is as good as you say?

It sounds like you haven't built out systems. All of the above should be a system that provides you insurance for a rainy day.

Bourbons

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Mar 28, 2016
Newcastle, UK
It's just part of dealing with Facebook.

There's no avoiding it.

You managed to scale up to 1mil revenue before you got the banhammer. That's good. You can do it again.

But you should ALWAYS have backups. As in, backup, independent accounts on Facebook ready to get rolling as soon as your primary one gets suspended. And backups outside Facebook.

This is why the tenet of Control is so important, and why mitigating your lack of control is crucial for sustained success.

How many of those 1 mil in revenue leads have you collected outside FB and turned into recurring revenue? Have you got a list you can use for cashflow while you re-enable your outbound traffic?

Sorry this happened to you. Can't do much except start over or hope they unsuspend you which is a difficult process and unlikely.

There's nothing wrong with meme/provocative ads. Lots of people use them because they're really strong. Who knows what triggered the algo to slice you? Sucks.

Edit: I recommend looking at Maxwell Finn's stuff from Unicorn Innovations. He has some good content on dealing with Facebook's policies and dumb suspensions. They're unavoidable, so preparing for them is the best way to make sure you don't suddenly drop a million in revenue heh.
Unfortunately we do insolvency/bankruptcy - so not much repeat business there!

I'll check out Maxwell Finn, thanks for the help buddy!

Bourbons

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Mar 28, 2016
Newcastle, UK
How many times have you gone through Facebook support so far, and have they given you a reason?

I run Facebook ads for companies & have been doing so for years. Deactivations are common. I've gotten the accounts back most of the time and it's usually returned within 2 weeks.

What reason did they give you for deactivating your account?

Your ads are almost certainly not the problem unless you're violating copyright law, but your offer might be. If your offer isn't compliant there's nothing that can be done: change your offer and create a new business manager.

My general solution has always been to go through support multiple times. Support sucks and the agents rarely talk to each other: all they have is your records. One agent might think your account is in the wrong, another might think you're doing everything right. Basically, don't stop.

Facebook does deactivate accounts incorrectly. Happens all the time. This could have happened to you but 2 months is a long time to be waiting and if your accounts keep getting banned over and over again then it's probably because they detect something that you're doing to be non-compliant.
They've not replied, but I've had tickets open and back-and-forth emails for weeks. New support tickets, 3.

They've just said "repeatedly violating policies"

I'll try pushing their support for another few weeks off the back of your advice - thanks for the input!

Bourbons

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Mar 28, 2016
Newcastle, UK
This has been going on since 2007, when I got into FB ads.

This happens at the small level ( small spends ) and at the large brand level. I've worked on ad accounts that spend $100k+ a day and it happens there too.

If you want to continue working with FB, you need to have:

1. Backup business manager accounts
2. Backup ad accounts
3. Backup FB pages
4. Backup domains/URLs
5. Backup ads and LPs ( designs, etc )
6. Backup cards, potentially with different billing addresses and card user names
7. Backup FB users who are admins to the different pages and ad accounts

If you aren't willing to go that far, then don't do FB anymore. I'm not saying you have to, but why half a$$ stuff?

I've been having to do this since 2007, but when the money is good why would you not do it? If you are tired of doing it then why havent you hired someone else to do it for you if the money is as good as you say?

It sounds like you haven't built out systems. All of the above should be a system that provides you insurance for a rainy day.
Yeah you're right.

I've got this stuff with Google Ads, just Facebook is the new one to me - Google I've been at it for years.

It just feels back to square one as it's so similar, but so different, in terms of avoiding the banhammer

CruxisKnight

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Jan 7, 2021
I'm used to Google, they aren't that bad for suspending accounts (or maybe I just know whats allowed more); but this last year I've found more profitable growth in Facebook for one of my businesses in particular.

I've been running it for quite some time, but then for what seems like no reason, my ad account was deactivated; and although it seemed hopeful it would be reinstated quickly, 2 months have passed and I'm looking for other solutions to replace a very profitable £1m annual revenue line to the business.

Anyone have experience in Facebook who may give pointers on why my account was disabled?

Things I think may be the issue;

1. Image quality; we've found 'meme' ads to be very effective for lead generation, much more than better quality images such as our own illustrated cartoons
  2. Ad text being too provocative perhaps
  3. Facebook is overzealous and bugged (my first disabled account was legitimately bugged and the support struggled to give help with it; not because it was a serious ban/suspension!) - my least favourite outcome as its not very dependable for a stable business
  4. My subsequent accounts have been linked to my first disabled account

I have things I can try, but every failure is another disabled account and associated card; I've even migrated the wrbsite to a new domain to avoid drawing a line to the new account. I have created a new brand, but it was on the same management account and very similar to the first in style. I can try all new images. I can try all new ad text.

Does anyone know if facebook dislike 'meme' ads?

Would it be more appropriate to illustrate our own cartoon ads?

Anyone have any experience/similar journey with Facebook?

I've been through this over the years on google and no longer have issues, but if I knew what I did today about Google I'd have avoided a lot of time and expense
I have been disabled on fb too and I just stopped using them altogether. You can tell when a company has become too big for their own good when they can just do these to people that provide them with the revenue that got them to where they are. I just look for the little-known traffic sources now. I get a competitive advantage since not many marketers know about them plus it helps the humble little guys too.

paulan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 14, 2014
Have you got any FB rep in your BM? Basically, right now you need to run on agency BM with credit-line (highest tier BM) in FB system. But you will not be able to run very aggressive ads.

I believe that you ran too aggresive ads. Facebook doesn't like finance and legal niches if they are creating bad emotions for users. I generate leads for debt consilidaton and got many disabled ad accounts in the past years.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Just saw this.

Are you aware you can share your pixel data ?

I’m guessing that’s what you’re after, really.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.