The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Execution] Starting SaaS Ground Up. Side Hustle. Weekly Progress Thread. Let's do this.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

mojorisin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 6, 2019
Preface
In need to solve a complex problem for DIY investors, I created a very simple software solution for myself. I then found others have the same problem, so helped a few close friends to solve theirs. My "dream" is to automate and scale this solution via SaaS offering. While I have domain expertise in the core business , my weakness in this project is I'm not a developer, so that will be a "crutch" for me during the journey. I have not found an online site that solves my exact problem, while there are 100's of similar solutions in a highly competitive space.

This thread is dedicated to building my SaaS from absolute scratch. Only from an idea that solved a simple problem. I'd appreciate feedback from others, ideas, and simple occasional motivational "pushes" from those who have found success. What I don't appreciate is people commenting about why my idea sucks, or why they would not do this (so please move on) as I don't find that helpful or motivating.

About me
I've been a successful middle level sales exec for the same software company over 20 years. I'm an entrepreneur at heart, have most of my retirement set, and this business will provide my "exit" from the 9-5 world. This site will provide semi-passive income over time. The fear about this SaaS is its a side hustle today, and it's easy to ignore it or put aside with I get busy with my day job, kids, family, hobbies, etc. So my self discipline will be post 1x per week in this thread my journey. There is untapped potential in the business model I'm targeting. Sky is the limit if it scales. Its a matter of week to week execution and discipline. I've committed to invest $10k which is enough to build out the MVP and fund for up to 2 years without any revenue. I have received quotes of $100k from a development shop to build this out overnight, but instead I'm taking a smaller step approach to solve for a handful of users vs. building a massive solution without customers yet (Lean Startup Model). I have a low cost saavy developer who is working with me, at my pace and within my cost structure.

Execution
Fastlane inspired me to buy an existing online business 2 years ago. I spent $55k for an online directory generating $3k profit per month. I flipped it for a sizeable profit within 6 months, after a site revamp which increased revenues and profit. THANK YOU MJ :) What did I learn? 1) I was not passionate about the business I bought, so after a long day at the 9 to 5, it felt like more "work" to keep the directory site moving 2) the business was dependent on SEO, where I have zero expertise so over time it was not sustainable to me. But, it taught me that I can be successful in the online world.

So up next is to build my financial SaaS from scratch. This is my personal passion. I can spend hours talking somebody's ear off about DIY investing, how my solution can help them. I do it for fun. I love helping others solve the problem I solved for myself, even for free. They thank me for for it as its very valuable to their financial success. It's not work. Now its time to channel the passion into an online SaaS with unlimited potential if I can scale it out.

Business Model
2 primary target customers
  1. B2C: individual user signs up for the service. Freemium model with no cost and paid services. I solve a simple problem for DIY investors that they face every day.
  2. B2B: Affiliate offering - I will offer a 50% split of the customer monthly subscription fee to the affiliate. This is my real end game, to build a platform for financial influencers to use my site as a premium service to their customers. They drive customers to my site, I provide the platform, the service, affiliate receives $xxx monthly royalties ongoing with to time limit. Lucrative for them. I complement their service, I do not compete for their business but enhance their value and offerings to their customers.
1 Month Objective
MVP completed
10 registered beta users providing feedback

2 Month Objective
Beta users continue feedback, enhance site based on feedback
Live site ready to take on paid users, B2C

4 Month Objective
10 paid B2C clients
Prep for B2B demo, site must be rock solid before B2B demo

6 Month Objective
50 active users
Begin marketing to B2B clients, using live site with demo

1 Year Objective:
250 registered users with an active account
50% of users paying a monthly fee - I have a "freemium" model
5 signed B2B contracts

2 Year Objective
1000 registered users with an active account
50% of users paying monthly fee
25 signed B2B contracts

Progress to Date
  1. Domain name registered, hosting built out, WordPress front end is live.
  2. Prototype offline software tool is built. Hired developer to develop into an online service. Building with WordPress, PhP, API's, and NoSQL DB so its a semi complex project.
  3. 6 months into development. First developer hired was subpar, I spent too long with them doing crappy work. So I cancelled with them, found a new developer. I've quickly learned I need to be very specific upfront on project scope including deadlines. If deadlines are not met within reason people are not paid and I will cut bait then move on to a competent developer. I will admit I'm using lower cost developers in the MVP but I'm getting close to having the MVP built. If this scales, I will need to step up my developer expertise for quicker turn around times.
  4. Wordperss front end launched, backend login, profiles, account structure close to completion. This is the most complex portion of the build out - user login, profiles, freemium services, subscription management, etc.
Week to Week Goal:
Complete backend user account profile build out with developer
Begin user service work

2 Week Goal
Begin formatting and UI enhancement, and "polish"
Successful testing as prototype user with no bugs

3 Week Goal
UI formatting
Begin WordPress polish

4 Week Goal
UI formatting completed for beta testing
Complete WordPress UI polish for beta users

Thanks all. Gonna be a fun ride!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Preface
In need to solve a complex problem for DIY investors, I created a very simple software solution for myself. I then found others have the same problem, so helped a few close friends to solve theirs. My "dream" is to automate and scale this solution via SaaS offering. While I have domain expertise in the core business , my weakness in this project is I'm not a developer, so that will be a "crutch" for me during the journey. I have not found an online site that solves my exact problem, while there are 100's of similar solutions in a highly competitive space.

This thread is dedicated to building my SaaS from absolute scratch. Only from an idea that solved a simple problem. I'd appreciate feedback from others, ideas, and simple occasional motivational "pushes" from those who have found success. What I don't appreciate is people commenting about why my idea sucks, or why they would not do this (so please move on) as I don't find that helpful or motivating.

About me
I've been a successful middle level sales exec for the same software company over 20 years. I'm an entrepreneur at heart, have most of my retirement set, and this business will provide my "exit" from the 9-5 world. This site will provide semi-passive income over time. The fear about this SaaS is its a side hustle today, and it's easy to ignore it or put aside with I get busy with my day job, kids, family, hobbies, etc. So my self discipline will be post 1x per week in this thread my journey. There is untapped potential in the business model I'm targeting. Sky is the limit if it scales. Its a matter of week to week execution and discipline. I've committed to invest $10k which is enough to build out the MVP and fund for up to 2 years without any revenue. I have received quotes of $100k from a development shop to build this out overnight, but instead I'm taking a smaller step approach to solve for a handful of users vs. building a massive solution without customers yet (Lean Startup Model). I have a low cost saavy developer who is working with me, at my pace and within my cost structure.

Execution
Fastlane inspired me to buy an existing online business 2 years ago. I spent $55k for an online directory generating $3k profit per month. I flipped it for a sizeable profit within 6 months, after a site revamp which increased revenues and profit. THANK YOU MJ :) What did I learn? 1) I was not passionate about the business I bought, so after a long day at the 9 to 5, it felt like more "work" to keep the directory site moving 2) the business was dependent on SEO, where I have zero expertise so over time it was not sustainable to me. But, it taught me that I can be successful in the online world.

So up next is to build my financial SaaS from scratch. This is my personal passion. I can spend hours talking somebody's ear off about DIY investing, how my solution can help them. I do it for fun. I love helping others solve the problem I solved for myself, even for free. They thank me for for it as its very valuable to their financial success. It's not work. Now its time to channel the passion into an online SaaS with unlimited potential if I can scale it out.

Business Model
  1. B2C: individual user signs up for the service. Freemium model with no cost and paid services. I solve a simple problem for DIY investors that they face every day.
  2. B2B: Affiliate offering - I will offer a 50% split of the customer monthly subscription fee to the affiliate. This is my real end game, to build a platform for financial influencers to use my site as a premium service to their customers. They drive customers to my site, I provide the platform, the service, affiliate receives $xxx monthly royalties ongoing with to time limit. Lucrative for them. I complement their service, I do not compete for their business but enhance their value and offerings to their customers.
1 Month Objective
MVP completed

2 Month Objective

4 Month Objective
10 paid B2C clients

6 Month Objective
50 active users

1 Year Objective:
5 signed B2B contracts

2 Year Objective
25 signed B2B contracts

Progress to Date
  2. Prototype offline software tool is built. Hired developer to develop into an online service. Building with WordPress, PhP, API's, and NoSQL DB so its a semi complex project.
  3. 6 months into development. First developer hired was subpar, I spent too long with them doing crappy work. So I cancelled with them, found a new developer. I've quickly learned I need to be very specific upfront on project scope including deadlines. If deadlines are not met within reason people are not paid and I will cut bait then move on to a competent developer. I will admit I'm using lower cost developers in the MVP but I'm getting close to having the MVP built. If this scales, I will need to step up my developer expertise for quicker turn around times.
  4. Wordperss front end launched, backend login, profiles, account structure close to completion. This is the most complex portion of the build out - user login, profiles, freemium services, subscription management, etc.
Week to Week Goal:
Begin user service work

2 Week Goal

3 Week Goal
UI formatting
Begin WordPress polish

4 Week Goal

Competitive space.

I sell financial products to C. Have seen how fin tech developed robo advisers and bank apps are trying to occupy territories in this space.

Good luck!

Last edited:

mojorisin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 6, 2019
Competitive space.

I sell financial products to C. Have seen how fin tech developed robo advisers and bank apps are trying to occupy territories in this space.

Good luck!
Yes, you are correct... been watching that as well. Very competitive with deep pockets out there.

I'm certainly not going after the "big boys" but carving a tiny niche within a big market. I'm a tiny disruptor who is happy with a little $1m business, then scale up and out.

Innovator's Dilemma is an incredible book that taught me this playbook.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Preface

About me

Execution

Business Model
1 Month Objective
MVP completed

2 Month Objective

4 Month Objective
10 paid B2C clients

6 Month Objective
50 active users

1 Year Objective:
5 signed B2B contracts

2 Year Objective
25 signed B2B contracts

Progress to Date
Week to Week Goal:
Begin user service work

2 Week Goal

3 Week Goal
UI formatting
Begin WordPress polish

4 Week Goal

While you're building your MVP can you continue to keep helping people with your simple software?

Where do the people you can help hangout? Can you get amongst them and start helping them and start talking about the solution you're building, maybe even asking for their input?

mojorisin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 6, 2019
While you're building your MVP can you continue to keep helping people with your simple software?

Where do the people you can help hangout? Can you get amongst them and start helping them and start talking about the solution you're building, maybe even asking for their input?
Andy, great points. Can you share a little bit more on how you would approach people?

Are you thinking I post my simple software to help others. Then what next? Thanks!!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy, great points. Can you share a little bit more on how you would approach people?

Are you thinking I post my simple software to help others. Then what next? Thanks!!
What do people currently pay for that indicates they're prepared to pay to solve the problem your solutions solve?

Where do they hang out, especially online? Can you join those communities or platforms and be a helpful and engaged member of those communities? Can you start talking about what you do and what you're doing in those communities without coming across spammy or sales?

Maybe check out some links in my signature, in particular "Just Start Already", "Who Have You Helped?", "Inbound/Sales Braindump", and maybe the two radio interviews.

mojorisin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 6, 2019
What do people currently pay for that indicates they're prepared to pay to solve the problem your solutions solve?

Where do they hang out, especially online? Can you join those communities or platforms and be a helpful and engaged member of those communities? Can you start talking about what you do and what you're doing in those communities without coming across spammy or sales?

Maybe check out some links in my signature, in particular "Just Start Already", "Who Have You Helped?", "Inbound/Sales Braindump", and maybe the two radio interviews.

@Andy Black - thank you for the response. I'm reading through some of your links - awesome ideas!

May I ask a dumb question? Are you concerned about people "stealing" your idea when you're early stages? How do you balance getting test users without giving away your "secret sauce"?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Andy Black - thank you for the response. I'm reading through some of your links - awesome ideas!

May I ask a dumb question? Are you concerned about people "stealing" your idea when you're early stages? How do you balance getting test users without giving away your "secret sauce"?
Don't give away your secret sauce then?

I've been building campaigns a certain way for clients for years. They see how I do it and can replicate it themselves. I'm sure some do, and others don't want to... they just want the results of what I do.

I don't give them the tools I use to create the campaigns, and they're welcome to reverse engineer what works.

Let people know who you help, what you help them with, and how you do it. Protecting an "idea" is counterproductive imo.

mojorisin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 6, 2019
2 weeks have gone by. Nothing major to report as I continue to focus on finalizing the MVP as quickly as possible. Working through the backend foundation to get it "right" now vs. having issues down the road.

Major ideas in my mind about how I will monetize as there are 1000 ways to bill a SaaS (consumption, freemium, monthly subscription, etc).

I decided to block the billing model out for now, and focus on getting 100 users on the service at no cost (beta). My give to them is a free service to solve their problem and I receive feedback.

Once I'm done with an MVP "demo" I'm satisfied with, I'll begin approaching prospective B2B partners. While I've been in software sales for 20 years (deals up to $1b) I'm nervous for the pitch. Not how to do the pitch, but they will not be interested to partner with me.

What I'm proposing to them is: my service solves a problem your customers have - I know since I'm one of them and people complain about this problem every day :)

Thus "I'm offering a solution for your customers at no charge to test my platform. If they see value then they can pay for the service. If its $5 / month then I'll provide you 20% commission ongoing monthly. So its a win-win - you help your customers consume your service easier while collecting revenue on those who choose to pay for it".

I'm certainly open for suggestions on my approach and pitch to my B2B potential partners!

Last edited:

mojorisin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 6, 2019
March 20th update:

Hit a big milestone this week. The developer completed the SaaS demo build, so I'm ready to add users. I am adding 2 test users as of this week!

It was a great feeling to see the product live and working that started with an idea in my head! Its like we brought it to life :)

So this week goals:
1. Complete a couple UI issues and bugs I found in testing
2. Bring on 2 test users
3. Begin to think about how I will approach the communities I'm targeting. I have a large pool of customers, how to approach them to get them started as "sales solicitations" are frowned upon in the forum.

mojorisin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 6, 2019
May 7th updade: I have feedback from my 2 test users. One is International, so he threw a lot of curveballs at me to modify my financial trackers for Internatinoal exchanges which I know nothing about. It caused a few weeks of research and extra costs, but ended up being worth it since others will expect this function. My other test user is in the US so that was easy, he provided feedback he wants to see on performance metrics I wasn't thinking about. He also provided a freemium model he would pay for, so I'm investing $$$ and time into that model as it makes perfect sense.

Probably another month of development to add features and fine tune. Then I need to do some formatting on the main site to pretty it up. Then the big demos as I approach platform partners on my affiliate model, where they will offer my service to their end users for a commission.

I get a big boost of motivation when I get positive feedback from my test users. While I would love a business partner in this journey as i'm a collaborater by nature, I need to keep 100% control and ownership for my best long term interest.

More to come in a few weeks!

JeroenvGessel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 9, 2019
Hi @mojorisin,

I just read your thread.

You're doing great!

I'm also in a similar phase.

We are building a SaaS platform for study books with an innovative twist. We incorporated in February and raised a €50k (based in the Netherlands so Euro) Pre-Seed soft loan to kickstart the development of the platform. We are two 19-year-old students with little savings so we unfortunately couldn't self-fund it. This 50k gives us a two-year runway, although we are most likely to raise a Seed round once we have validated the MVP with our customers.

We have finished the demo and pitched it to our target customers, Large educational publishers, and universities in the Netherlands. We partnered up with one of the largest national educational publishers and we are setting up a pilot. In this pilot, our focus is going to be on getting a lot of user feedback and validating the business case.

We are currently in the phase of building out the upgraded version of the MVP that is good enough to be used by large universities and educational publishers. We will have a finished MVP by the end of this month.

The publisher we are partnering up with also offered to participate in a potential Seed round as a strategic investment. This would give us access to a lot of funding and data to build a great product for users. Maybe this could also be something that is interesting for you.

Have you ever thought about letting some influencers buy a piece of the shares in the company? That will create a shared interest to promote the platform as well as give you access to a network of potential influencers and a lot of free publicity. Not even taking into account that you could use the money they invest to build a better product or pay yourself a small amount so you can take one day off from your job and work more on your business.

Keep up the good work.

Jeroen

mojorisin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 6, 2019
Hi @mojorisin,

I just read your thread.

You're doing great!

I'm also in a similar phase.

We are building a SaaS platform for study books with an innovative twist. We incorporated in February and raised a €50k (based in the Netherlands so Euro) Pre-Seed soft loan to kickstart the development of the platform. We are two 19-year-old students with little savings so we unfortunately couldn't self-fund it. This 50k gives us a two-year runway, although we are most likely to raise a Seed round once we have validated the MVP with our customers.

We have finished the demo and pitched it to our target customers, Large educational publishers, and universities in the Netherlands. We partnered up with one of the largest national educational publishers and we are setting up a pilot. In this pilot, our focus is going to be on getting a lot of user feedback and validating the business case.

We are currently in the phase of building out the upgraded version of the MVP that is good enough to be used by large universities and educational publishers. We will have a finished MVP by the end of this month.

The publisher we are partnering up with also offered to participate in a potential Seed round as a strategic investment. This would give us access to a lot of funding and data to build a great product for users. Maybe this could also be something that is interesting for you.

Have you ever thought about letting some influencers buy a piece of the shares in the company? That will create a shared interest to promote the platform as well as give you access to a network of potential influencers and a lot of free publicity. Not even taking into account that you could use the money they invest to build a better product or pay yourself a small amount so you can take one day off from your job and work more on your business.

Keep up the good work.

Jeroen

Jeroen, appreciate the kind words, ideas, and support. It very motivating to share stories.

Great suggestion on the influencers. I'm hoping that an affiliate model will be enough to entice them - as I have a SaaS, my offer is lifetime monthly commissions as long as the user is a paying customer. I'll probably start out 25% payout as I build the business. The other value is the influencers will provide feedback on the MVP prior to launching to their client base. This is my entire model, to provide a tool to influencers in exchange for commissions to them. This allows me to scale quickly, vs. hunting and pecking with a direct B2C model. I would only offer a % share of the business to a partner who would significantly catapult the business.

And at this point I'm not in need of funding, not until the MVP is built out and proven. If it works, and takes off, then I may consider an investor however I have the capital to fund for a while.

mojorisin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 6, 2019
Its been a month since my last update. Between now and then, my developer implemented a few requested features provided by test users however its simply taking too long to develop. I've decided my "MVP" phase is completed, to me.

And its time to take to the next level. As my single developer isn't able to cut it, I've interviewed a dozen agencies. I've hired a mid size, younger, and hungry agency to to develop the next 2 phases on my build out. I'm super excited to make this real!

I've also spent more time reviewing competitors tools, and none solves the problem I'm trying to solve. So I feel great about carving a tiny, disruptive niche in a massive market.

mojorisin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 6, 2019
July 4th check in.
I'm 2 weeks into working with my dev group. AMAZING the progress we're making. The .com is professional looking, the UI flow is well sorted out, the product is coming to life. I'm able to solve my 2 use cases that no other site accomplishes. I have great feedback from my small group of test users that they will use the product when online to solve their issue as well.

It will be another 4 weeks before I have stage 1 online. At that point I'll be able to bring users online. I also built an affiliate model, so now that I'll have a professional looking product I can begin to contact partners for affiliate models.

I've found a couple excellent SaaS startup podcasts. I've listened to hours of founders who have hit $5m ARR+. There is no single proven model. But one thing in common is 1) solve a problem 2) win over early adopters 3) iteratate. I also believe that you need an "original idea" and expertise +passion on the problem you are solving. I think people underestimate those 2 factors.

This is exciting. I'm sure there will be stops and starts. Buts it's amazing feeling to see this vision come to life.

Last edited:

NathanN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jul 27, 2022
Vancouver, B.C.
July 4th check in.
I'm 2 weeks into working with my dev group. AMAZING the progress we're making. The .com is professional looking, the UI flow is well sorted out, the product is coming to life. I'm able to solve my 2 use cases that no other site accomplishes. I have great feedback from my small group of test users that they will use the product when online to solve their issue as well.

It will be another 4 weeks before I have stage 1 online. At that point I'll be able to bring users online. I also built an affiliate model, so now that I'll have a professional looking product I can begin to contact partners for affiliate models.

I've found a couple excellent SaaS startup podcasts. I've listened to hours of founders who have hit $5m ARR+. There is no single proven model. But one thing in common is 1) solve a problem 2) win over early adopters 3) iteratate. I also believe that you need an "original idea" and expertise +passion on the problem you are solving. I think people underestimate those 2 factors.

This is exciting. I'm sure there will be stops and starts. Buts it's amazing feeling to see this vision come to life.
Good work man. Currently working on a Saas startup myself. I enjoy reading all your progress and helpful info. Best of luck to you!

mojorisin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 6, 2019
@nathan31 thanks man! I was wondering if anybody is even reading my posts lol.

I'm super pumped about the progress the last 2 weeks. If I didn't step it up and invest into a proper design firm, this site would never have a chance. Its really amazing to see it come to life. I still cannot find a site that solves my problem exactly, so its a tiny niche.

Challenge right now is reducing the scope to get the v1 launched. Keeping it super simple, no scope creep.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.