The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ethics Dilemma ...... Help ?

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
Ethics Dilemma ...... Help ?

A cable truck backed into a brick planter on one of my rental homes. Called their insurance company and was told the following:

We will settle for $500.00 or we need an written estimate if it’s over $500.00.

As you may know I don’t have any truck with cable or TV as I don’t want that pollution coming into my life...so they are NOT my favorite people..

Dilemma....... had 2 estimates:

1. $500.00
2. $140.00

Would you take the $500.00 settlement or do you submit the $140.00 and settle for the actual cost???? :huh2:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Up to you how ethical you want to be. You know it's not right to take more than what it'll actually cost, or you wouldn't be asking us.

I'd take the 500 and chalk it up to good fortune.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
As you may know I don’t have any truck with cable or TV as I don’t want that pollution coming into my life...so they are NOT my favorite people..

Ethics is not related to your opinions.

Cable TV is neither good or bad... it just is. People choose whether or not to pollute there lives with it, enjoy it responsibly or not consume it at all. Just like other "vices" like alcohol, the actual thing itself is easy to blame but is, in fact, completely neutral.

As for the cost of the repair, if there really is no difference in the quality of work, it doesn't really matter... but get your own issues with cable companies out of it.

Personally I would probably take the lower quote since it seems obvious that the company who quoted $500 is just playing the insurance company.

It is the insurance company this is suffering if you take the $500 quote, not the cable company.

G

Guest3722A

Seeing that you're unsure and want to be balanced appropriately, why not get a third estimate and use the mid-score... er uh cost? This way, imo, you are as fair as you can be to both yourself and the other parties.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Get it fixed for $140 (assuming they can do the job right)... the good karma will come back to you.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Isn't it standard to get 3 bids in any case?

Did you tell either bidder that it was an insurance fix or just simply ask them to quote the job with no other details?

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
In my mind, it isn't immoral to take the $500 offered, and fix it for $140.

You have time involved, which isn't part of the claim.

A repair is never as good as an original.

Now...if they asked for a quote, and you had a buddy write one up for $1,200...that would be immoral.

You can always drop the difference between cost and reimbursement into the charity of your choice.

The insurance company wouldn't have offered the $500 if they didn't feel it was fair.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I would do a little research on the companies involved and find out WHY the discrepancy in pricing... make sure the one you use is licensed, bonded & insured & that your rear is covered if there are problems down the road with any craftsmanship. But I agree with the karma side -what would you want done if you had caused the damage?

:smx3:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
You can always drop the difference between cost and reimbursement into the charity of your choice.

The insurance company wouldn't have offered the $500 if they didn't feel it was fair.

1. The insurance company may have no idea how much it costs to repair the damage-- $500 might have been their starting point (it may have been $5000 in damages- who knew?)

2. I've seen lots of posts here complaining about rising insurance costs. Taking advantage of the system is one way this happens.

As to what would I choose? I'm the guy that parks and returns the extra dime to McDonald's when they give me too much change in the drive-through.

Easy choice for me.

-Russ H.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
WOWZER.........Look at the heavyweights that chimed in here, even ‘ Big Pop' h’self.. Thanks guys. I’m honored !

Thanks Jonleehacker

Re: The good or bad ...cable.

I understand your argument, however I equate these companies to the following:

Whenever I have used a public restroom ...regardless of what facility I have used ...when I come out the door I’m struck by the fact that ........they ALL smell alike............they STINK !

Maybe I have a unusually sensitive nose, but even when something is labeled GOOD ....there is a subtle pollution that can affect your mind-set .....so I don’t give it a chance....the trade-off isn’t worth it! So you see it’s NOT neutral!!

Jon said:

As for the cost of the repair, if there really is no difference in the quality of work, it doesn't really matter... but get your own issues with cable companies out of it.

Yeah................you’re right-on here. Our own prejudges will tend to COLOR our thinking.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007

Did you tell either bidder that it was an insurance fix or just simply ask them to quote the job with no other details?

NO.............didn't tell them about the $500 offer from the insurance co. Just got a quote.:smxA:

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
I may be ethically challenged but I have a different take on this.

Take the $500, get it fixed for $140 and put the other $360 into your repair fund.

No, I am not saying screw the insurance company, I am saying don't give away your time on this. What is your time worth?

If I am inconvenienced and have to take time away from work to deal with someone else's mistake it irritates me to spend 10 hours of time I don't have to waste dealing with the problem. Last year some drunk moron went down our street taking out 3 brick mailboxes, 2 light posts, the side of my vehicle and a lot of greenery before the wheels literally came off his Tahoe. His insurance company paid for my rental and the repair but I spent hours dealing with it and drove around for 2 weeks in a piece of crap while my beautiful $60K vehicle was undergoing a facelift. It was a pain in my butt.

When my company bills me out they say my time is worth around $XXX/hr... you will spend 2 hours dealing with this, why is your time free on this deal?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Reminds me of a story:

Girl was on a free trolley. Trolly pulled out and grazed the mirror on our truck.

We had to stop and file a report, cops came, etc.

Our mirror was hanging sideways. I got my tools and stuck it back on. My time: 10 min. Out of pocket cost: $0.00

Trolley prolly had a $300 'repair' (only really needed a good rub out for $20). There was no dent-- just a scuff.

Whole thing happened at less than 2 mph. Comments to my wife from passengers on board were they didn't know what happened-- no one had even felt or heard anything. Just that the trolley pulled out, then back, and the driver asked everyone to get off.

Still, we got a call from a girl on the trolley who said she had to go to the hospital afterwards because she was "traumatized" and wanted to be examined to make sure she wasn't injured.

This gal was hitting us up for loss of work (See? told you your points reminded me of something).

So we sent her to our insurance company.

They gave her nothing.

I'm guessing she hit the City (hosting the free trolley) up, too.

How much do you think they'd pay you, Bobo?

Do you have one of those special riders on your policy that compensates you for time lost? :banana:

(I gotta git me one of them! ;) )

-Russ H.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
In my mind, it isn't immoral to take the $500 offered, and fix it for $140.

You have time involved, which isn't part of the claim.......... YEP

A repair is never as good as an original.

Thanx blfbob ......spoken like a true landlord!!
This is my problem, as I do have some time and a repair is NEVER as good as the original, but the insurance claim agent .....SAYS the policy ONLY covers actual repaired cost!!!

How am I to be compensated for my time and the fact it’s repaired?? :shruggie:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
1. $500.00
2. $140.00

Would you take the $500.00 settlement or do you submit the $140.00 and settle for the actual cost???? :huh2:

Take the $500.

If I remember correctly, when this happens with cars, you go get an estimate and the insurance company writes you a check. You don't have to get the car fixed right?

So what's the difference if you take the $500 and then don't fix it, fix it yourself or get it fixed for $140?

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
I would do a little research on the companies involved and find out WHY the discrepancy in pricing... make sure the one you use is licensed, bonded & insured & that your rear is covered if there are problems down the road with any craftsmanship. But I agree with the karma side -what would you want done if you had caused the damage?

Thanx RED.............you're my 1.2.3. girl ...just like my wife. However....the man that gave me the $140 quote ...has none of the above, but has 2 kids to feed and needed the work, hence the low bid! Yeah......gave him the job!
:smx3:

I may be ethically challenged but I have a different take on this.

Take the $500, get it fixed for $140 and put the other $360 into your repair fund.

No, I am not saying screw the insurance company, I am saying don't give away your time on this. What is your time worth?

If I am inconvenienced and have to take time away from work to deal with someone else's mistake it irritates me to spend 10 hours of time I don't have to waste dealing with the problem. Last year some drunk moron went down our street taking out 3 brick mailboxes, 2 light posts, the side of my vehicle and a lot of greenery before the wheels literally came off his Tahoe. His insurance company paid for my rental and the repair but I spent hours dealing with it and drove around for 2 weeks in a piece of crap while my beautiful $60K vehicle was undergoing a facelift. It was a pain in my butt.

When my company bills me out they say my time is worth around /hr... you will spend 2 hours dealing with this, why is your time free on this deal?

YEAH Bo..................you're RIGHT on...legitimate on every count, but I still know it only cost $140..........hmmmmmmmm.:huh2:

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
Get it fixed for $140 (assuming they can do the job right)... the good karma will come back to you.

Agreed if that's NOT my motive, because if it is ...the karma is negated!

Well I got a third bid of $350.00 ..... so I now have the $140, $350 bids and the $500 offer. Have to submit tomorrow??????? :huh2:

G

Guest3722A

As Red mentioned, are they licensed, insured and bonded? Maybe go so far as bbb research or ripoff report or google for reviews. Being a good guy is one thing but you don't want to get screwed over by a bad guy. Your heart and your mind may need to collaborate on this one.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007

As to what would I choose? I'm the guy that parks and returns the extra dime to McDonald's when they give me too much change in the drive-through.

Easy choice for me.

-Russ H.

Ahhhhhhhhh. Reminds me of a past episode.

Barbie and I were going to try a new restaurant, but we had to stop by our bank first for some cash. Wrote out a withdrawal slip for $200 cash...went thru the drive in window presented the slip ..got the cash and as I’m driving out to the street...Barbie says count it and be sure you got the right amount.....and sure enough we got $300 not the $200.

Weeeell, I say, look the bank bought us dinner. ... I was not always the paragon of virtue as I am now....lol I get one of those “ raised eyebrow looks” is that ALL your soul is worth...a hundred bucks?

Damn....back we go into line again...wait another 15 mins. Pull up to the same window...same guy and explain what happened. He says ...it was HER fault...I was looking at HER and not paying attention to what I was doing.

Ah....my time to get even. I look over at HER and say: “ look at the trouble you got us in....you’re too pretty....too damn pretty.....ya ought to be ashamed of yourself !! The teller laughs ...Barbie turns RED smacks my shoulder and says HUSH-UP. I got even.

Then the teller says: I realized my mistake when you pulled away....WHY did you come back?? I won’t get religious here with my exp. , BUT of course I took 100 % CREDIT for being honest!

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
As Red mentioned, are they licensed, insured and bonded? Maybe go so far as bbb research or ripoff report or google for reviews. Being a good guy is one thing but you don't want to get screwed over by a bad guy. Your heart and your mind may need to collaborate on this one.

A BIG thank you to ALL of you for your responses. I feel that each one was valid.
CLICK on the attachment for my decision

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.