The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Eric from Erics Cheesecakes

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Would you sell your recipe and process?

You could duplicate this so easily. Googling recipes of almost anything yields some crazy delicious and creative stuff.

I know I would be scared to death right now, my business laid out in full detail with proven demand on a forum of very capable entrepreneurs, my limited efforts scribed vividly across my forehead, begging for somebody to recreate my non-proprietary venture and make a national brand without me.

This thread now qualifies as an INE.

Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
You could duplicate this so easily. Googling recipes of almost anything yields some crazy delicious and creative stuff.

I know I would be scared to death right now, my business laid out in full detail with proven demand on a forum of very capable entrepreneurs, my limited efforts scribed vividly across my forehead, begging for somebody to recreate my non-proprietary venture and make a national brand without me.

Is flan what Imgur wants?

This forum and watching The Profit episodes. You will have a MBA.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Someone in North Carolina should start a business identical to what @Ericito is doing, call it Erik's Cheesecakes, same design and logo everything, set it up next to Eric's home as close as possible, and show him how it's done.

With so many big boys here helping him, he literally has no reason to give up and give excuses. I get angry reading this thread.

In one of his lines here above, he says "I bake for me". Good, continue baking for YOU, treat it as a hobby and a craft. Let someone else succeed instead.

And when they do, maybe they'll be kind and hire you as a baking chef for $2K a month while you work for them 16 hrs a day.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Bump .... Am calling the forum ...... Everyone take a day to bump this...... Stay on @Ericito 's a$$. Someone show up at his place with cash.

Does anyone here NOT see a multi $1M business?

This is total bullshit. So many on this forum cannot figure out how to start........ Well, here is your start!! ..... Get @Ericito over the hump.......

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
In one of his lines here above, he says "I bake for me". Good, continue baking for YOU, treat it as a hobby and a craft. Let someone else succeed instead.

I worked at a French bakery in college. The place was pastry heaven. The owner was an older woman who mirrored the exact same sentiments. She would repeatedly tell us, “this is my art experiment not a business. If you don’t like it, too bad”

Which was depressing as hell, because that place lost huge amounts of money every year through fundamentally horrible management.

I always wished I could have taken over that place...

Fun fact, I can make a wicked good cheesecake.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I worked at a French bakery in college. The place was pastry heaven. The owner was an older woman who mirrored the exact same sentiments. She would repeatedly tell us, “this is my art experiment not a business. If you don’t like it, too bad”

Which was depressing as hell, because that place lost huge amounts of money every year through fundamentally horrible management.

I always wished I could have taken over that place...

Wow you know what @Scot !

I haven't baked a nice cheesecake in a while but i am a chef by trade, so i might bake a few at work tomorrow and see what happens....

I dont have cheesecakes on my menu for my current business but might be able to add some as an option......

PLEASE @Ericito GO GET IT!!!!

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Prove it. Start a mail-order cheesecake business. It's not like you're doing anything else...

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
The first thing you need to do is get out of your kitchen. I don't know what cottage food laws are like in NC, but in Florida, the minute you make more than $10,000 per year, home made is a no go.

Start looking into commercial kitchen rentals. We have a bunch near me, where you pay hourly or daily. They have the facilities to bake and freeze, plus all inspections necessary for a legal food facility.

Once you've got that, then you can start expanding.

You need to do what every food brand does when they start.

HUSTLE

Get a booth at every farmers market in your area. Sample them and sell them there. Go into every local grocery story and find someone to stock them in their freezer section. Grind out every sale until you have the capital and the brand to scale.

Your brewery partnership thing, beer cheesecake, that right there is your USP. Make more stuff like that and you'll be selling cheesecakes left and right.
This is spot on. My wife is a chef in a NE Florida. While some see the $10K as a limit, we see it as an opportunity. Run tests of products at relatively low cost selling as a cottage industry. If it looks like it has legs, step up to renting space from one of the commercial shared kitchens. Partnering with a restaurant to use their kitchen during down time is an outstanding suggestion.

I almost forgot the real challenge. How do you divest your time. You'll need to make your recipe fool proof enough that any properly trained cook can make it without you. Otherwise, you're still trading your time for money.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Maybe if you've some time to spare and have retired, you could try this.

@Ericito How's it going? Are you still working hard to find a commercial kitchen that you can rent, or have you completely thrown in the towel?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Maybe if you've some time to spare and have retired, you could try this.

@Ericito How's it going? Are you still working hard to find a commercial kitchen that you can rent, or have you completely thrown in the towel?

My “retirement” project actually involves a brick and mortar bakery with a twist concept.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Hi @Ericito

obese little dwarves here are waiting for your business to grow so they can stuff their mouths with your delicious cheesecake!

Sugar creates the highest (literally 'high') insulin spike, which has similar effect on our brains as drugs, alcohol, cigarettes... and when you stop delivering sugar, you get withdrawal symptoms. Even thinking about sugar (cheesecake) makes our brain produce insulin... So there is some science behind people literally demanding you to deliver them their cheesecake. Otherwise they are nervous.

Would you elaborate a bit more on "You need money to make money"?

I am curious at what stage you are right now i.e. what do you need the money for?

What your plans are and maybe goals/targets for this year? Even if you don't have any that's cool.

Money seems to be limiting a lot of actions everywhere, so I am curious how do you, personally, feel limited by lack of it?

Thanks Man!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
@Ericito We all are waiting buddy. Go Go for it. Damn, after reading so many love from ZCP, MJ, B. Cole and other's i feel like crying... REALLY...

They are so good! Just reading the tips they gave in this thread literally solves the issue you are facing! Just go, give one more solid push.

Maybe, Just Maybe this could be that final obstacle which is stopping you from becoming Multi Millionaire, Freedom person? We know you did not want to quit. Just open your mind, take some break and give one more push with the help of fellow people here

DAMN!!! I am crying!!!!! SO MUCH LOVE!!!!

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
"I've been eating Eric's cheesecakes for more than 15 years and I'm here to tell ya, you will NOT find a better cheesecake, anywhere! Every cake, every flavor, every crust and every topping has been well thought out and executed perfectly. From his simple and classic NY style cheesecake with a graham cracker crust, to his endless array of standard and seasonal flavors with crusts made of Oreos to his newest creation... the cheesecake on a stick!!!! Omg! And dipped in chocolate! Every single bite of every single cake is truly amazing!
If I want cheesecake (so everyday) I think of only one person to get it from... Eric Hurdle.
*oh and we haven't even talked about his other baked goods.... ridiculous!*"

This is how good his cheesecakes are! read the review. So good. You are really doing good bro. Just need one more push. Don't fall. This is it. This is where you should be. A little shift in mind, a little more effort, a little more openness, a little more specific questions you need to ask so ZCP and others can help.

Just go bro! GET SET GO GO!!!

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
I remember reading this post two years ago and saw it pop up again.

Eric, I hold a soft spot for you as cheesecake is literally the best food in existence. Unfortunately, two years later it looks like you're still running in place!

After skimming the last 24 months, it seems your biggest issues:

1) DPA restricts you a bunch because you're a home kitchen
2) Shipping is hard because you need dry ice or something to ship (and that can get expensive)

----------
What I would do if I held the most delicious secret cheesecake recipe in the world:

1) The pictures of your food literally make my stomach rumble. From Instagram alone, you should be able to garner some buzz. (in 3 years, you have 125 posts. You need to post everyday). I'm not an Instagram expert, I'm sure someone on here is

2) Focus on B2B at the moment and forget trying to sell B2C (i.e. one cake at a time). Just one commerical account could land you thousands upon thousands of dollars as compared to peddling 1-to-1.

- First, go to every local news office with cheesecake. Tell them your story and you have a secret recipe for cheesecake. Let them try it and if it's the best cheesecake they've had they do a story about you. If not, you leave. Reporters are dying for local stories.

- Leverage that exposure to approach hotels, caterers, multi-million dollar businesses who would need cheesecake for events, conferences, something pretty to show off (your cakes look amazing). Follow up, follow up until you land even just one. Once you land one, leverage that to others.

- Second, make a list of every investor in NC that has invested in a food startup of some kind. Contact them. Just ask for advice, tell them what you're doing, your struggles and their recommendations for next steps. Obviously, let them try some. Investors know people who can open doors.

3) If dry ice is too expensive, pass the cost down to the consumer. Right now, you're trying to build a customer base not make a million dollars. You're trying to get reviews, followers, word of mouth.

4) Someone else suggested --- churches. I can't imagine any DPA regulation would prohibit selling after services in a church.

If you don't want to do any of those things, at least find someone to help you with Instagram as you're an artist. The pictures are incredible and mouth-watering. Simply build that following.

That following (even if it gets to just 5,000 - 10,000 people) will also give you credibility when you approach businesses and investors.

-----------------
I think everyone is frustrated because they don't see any action. Your product is amazing and it's not getting out there.

And maybe you're someone who just wants to be a baker and not a business owner/entrepreneur. That's okay. Who can you find or know that will knock on doors for you and you both split the equity?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Money problem to buy a shop?
Ask your current customer to fund you: Turn Your Customers Into Investors
If you need help, someone here can implement funding option on your website.

Decided to crowdfund? then learn how to market for that: How to Successfully Market Your Crowdfunding Project | Marketing Insider Group
The Comprehensive Guide to Marketing Your Crowdfunding Campaign | AudienceBloom.com

What to give in return to your funders: https://www.oberlo.in/blog/complete-guide-crowdfunding

After you open your first store, make it success. Then open second, third etc. Then franchise...

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Maybe I am wrong here, but will it help if you show big and work small as MJ did? Will that help in getting collaboration offers a success with local corporate office or commercials?

If you didn't execute anything mentioned by this lovely community, you would have stolen my 2 hours from my life and many others.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
This reminds me how sir @Carol Jones executed his business from being a broke with no home, no money, no internet, no calls, nothing and still made it.

and this is GOLD
The process of working every day is what got us to where we are today.

We did what everyone said we couldn't do. We built a worldwide business from broke. On a remote rural property. Before the internet and email came to our rural village.

@Ericito show us that you didn't quit and you have what it takes to tackle this obstacle.

Sorry for filling your thread with craps. Felt like crying and thinking what I can do for you. I am going overboard? maybe...

BaraQueenbee

tiny
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 14, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
I got so invested in this whole thread and wondering how Eric is doing, I sent him a DM on Instagram and his website, if he would update us cause we are roooooting for him.

I have also been thinking about his cheesecakes for 2 days. I want to to LIVE in his Nutella Cheesecake. That looks like utter perfection. Literally added on my "to-do"-list when I am back in NC.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I have also been thinking about his cheesecakes for 2 days. I want to to LIVE in his Nutella Cheesecake. That looks like utter perfection. Literally added on my "to-do"-list when I am back in NC.
This review alone would sell 1000 cheesecakes.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
His cheesecake tastes great. I've had his cakes on a stick, slices and full blown cake itself as mentioned in previous posts. He lives 50 minutes away from me.. its a shame that he overthinks things.

I had a text exchange with him 2 weeks ago and I said @AllenCrawley wants a cheesecake, go ship it to him. He responded

"I don't have shipping".

I said then charge extra and ship it anyway.

"I have no setup for it."

He then goes on to say "They (the forum) act like i'm loaded with money and have a store, and they have no idea of the struggles."

I'm airing this out here to show that it's a mindset issue with him, nothing more. His product is incredible, and someone needs to coach him on mental toughness or something. Ahem.. @ZCP? Except you can't say "What do you need to do to get to X number of sales?", because he has no damn clue even if you spelled it out for him. The thing he needs to do is ship cheesecakes.

He has a stellar product and I can safely say it's the best dessert I've ever had. He feels beat down and he's the only dude that I've tried to help time and time again, even after putting up with his victim like mentality. (sorry Eric.)

Hopefully he'll respond to the thread, or it'll die and people will move on with their lives wondering from time to time if Eric, from North Carolina, ever ended up making it big with his world class cheesecakes.

So what is Eric doing now? Working a full time job, baking cheesecakes on the side, and failing to scale his business. He's doing it as a hobby now and says its impossible to scale without money. After all, why would you want to ship a cheesecake to someone who really wants it?

Theres your update @ZCP

Last edited:

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
thanks @Ravens_Shadow

who wants to put a deal together to approach Eric?
we'll need a point man / lead, sales, funding
DM me

I can only vouch for two things. He's an extremely hard worker and has perfected his recipe for over 20+ years, so he's a damn good baker. On the note of hard work, he does a lot to get his cheesecakes done etc, he just has no clue how to get past his barriers and convert that hard work into something that's producing serious results.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.