The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Enhanced editing ability?

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
688%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
I think I understand the motivation for wanting to limit editing a post to a few days, but sometimes it can feel a bit limiting.

There have been a few threads that I've posted where I think the post could benefit substantially if I could update it later on. The benefit is clearest for threads that are alive and a series. So for example, if I wanted to add a post to my idea thread, it would be lost on the 5th page. Which is ok, but I think the reader would benefit immensely if I could just put a link at the end straight to it so it could be read in a series. I know I could message a mod, but I don't want to bother anyone unless it's something very important!

Maybe it could be an added benefit of having an INSIDERS subscription or something similar. Or not! I don't have experience running a forum so maybe it will ruin important parts of the experience. Figured I would just throw the idea out there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
638%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
I think I understand the motivation for wanting to limit editing a post to a few days, but sometimes it can feel a bit limiting.

There have been a few threads that I've posted where I think the post could benefit substantially if I could update it later on. The benefit is clearest for threads that are alive and a series. So for example, if I wanted to add a post to my idea thread, it would be lost on the 5th page. Which is ok, but I think the reader would benefit immensely if I could just put a link at the end straight to it so it could be read in a series. I know I could message a mod, but I don't want to bother anyone unless it's something very important!

Maybe it could be an added benefit of having an INSIDERS subscription or something similar. Or not! I don't have experience running a forum so maybe it will ruin important parts of the experience. Figured I would just throw the idea out there.
Agreed as well, especially for 'how to' or 'list' threads this would be immensely important. Some of the best threads become so long and winded that someone shouldn't have to browse to 10-20 pages to extract the main points out that can all land in post #1.

@MJ DeMarco is this an option?

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
556%
Apr 17, 2022

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You could maybe create a thread like this that has numbered posts linking to each of the other threads (or posts in a thread):

You could also recreate the thread, with maybe little links back to where it was originally posted. I do that quite a lot as I refine my writing.

And you could message me and ask me to drop links in the opening post to different posts later in the thread. Not many people create long ongoing threads with lots of engagement, *and* want to have the first post link to later posts.

NeoDialectic

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
688%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
Over here it says that INSIDERS do have this privilege at the moment:

Interesting. I do see that listed on the benefits list of INSIDERS, but I definitely do not have the ability to edit my post after 10 days. Can someone else confirm?

You could maybe create a thread like this that has numbered posts linking to each of the other threads (or posts in a thread):

You could also recreate the thread, with maybe little links back to where it was originally posted. I do that quite a lot as I refine my writing.

And you could message me and ask me to drop links in the opening post to different posts later in the thread. Not many people create long ongoing threads with lots of engagement, *and* want to have the first post link to later posts.
If you don't mind micromanaging like that , I guess I can message you....It juts feels like bothering you over things that would be trivial to you....

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Interesting. I do see that listed on the benefits list of INSIDERS, but I definitely do not have the ability to edit my post after 10 days. Can someone else confirm?

If you don't mind micromanaging like that , I guess I can message you....It juts feels like bothering you over things that would be trivial to you....
I think the first solution could work well. Create a master/index thread and link to your different threads and posts.

Happy to edit your threads too.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
556%
Apr 17, 2022
This seems like an old and obscure page on the website. Perhaps the info became obsolete after a forum software update.

NeoDialectic

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
688%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
This seems like an old and obscure page on the website. Perhaps the info became obsolete after a forum software update.
Yea, I guess so. Unfortunate!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Ill take a look. I know INSIDERS do have enhanced edit ability, but perhaps something is askew. It should be much longer than 10 days.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here was the low down on Edit ability...

Regular users = 10 days.
INSIDERS = 30 days.

This structure prevented people from deleting content, however, this hasn't been an issue in some years.

So effective immediately, I've changed this to setting to give INSIDERS unlimited time to edit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.