The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dull rusty knife or reality

Anything related to matters of the mind

Woodsman81

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Dec 10, 2017
Alma co
When I was a kid my aunt used to baby sit me if it was a good day I would get to go to work with my uncle he owned a small concert company. The guys would keep me busy getting hammers and nails or what ever. I would ride on the back of the flat bed truck with the dog Goldie (bet you don't see that anymore haha).
In middle school when the weather was good he would pick me up school and we would go to work. In the summer I worked 46 hours a week at a lumber mill. I would work for him Friday afternoons and on weekends. (Have you ever carried over a 100 lbs of diesel soaked concreat forms down a 6" wide wall in 90 degree weather?)
In high school ( summer) he was working at a stone quarry 40 hours a week swinging a hammer. I was working 40 as a masons tender caring cinder blocks, rocks and motor up stairs and Scaffolding. We would get together after work on on weekends to work often till 9 or 10 at night just to be back at our day jobs at 6 am.
After high school I got the F*ck out of there. Just too become a workachollic somewhere new.
His wife left him for working to much but she barley had any income. A few years ago I got to visit him for a hour or two. His house was paid off (I was so jealous that is where I want to be i said) and a few more years his x wife would be paid off. Then just a little for retirement. We talked about my girlfriend who left me for working to much.
His parents found him this morning in his drive way dying in 0 degree temps. He died at 55! I am 19 years from 55. He was the type of guy that would work 60+ hours and then make time to help a friend or family put a roof on there house for a cold beer and a burger with a smile. He would be the first one there and the last one to leave. I can't remember him ever going on vacation or taking any time off. If you only think I am saying this because he is blood you are wrong he was not but he felt like it.
I also don't want you to think I am crying or whining about working those long hard days. I loved it!!! He treated me well I learned allot and it kept me out of trouble.
MJ s books feel like they are stabbing me with a dull rusty knife of reality today! MJ keep up the good work sugar coating shit never helps anyone out!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fvcorp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Nov 28, 2017
Canada
Your story hit home with me. I know quite a few people like this.

Not to seem too nihilistic, but once you step back from the daily grind and look at an average life from a 30,000 view, it's amazing how much time we sacrifice for money and identity.

Is there another way? Is the question most of us are trying to answer.

I hope to see you around the forums!

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
It’s crazy because a guy at my job worked 60+ hours a week. However, he died January 2017 at the age 34.

It’s crazy how short life/time is. That’s why I’m grateful for this forum, because it showed me that there’s more to life than the 40 hour work week... until age 65 and a retirement home.

I don’t know if it’s only me but time feels like it’s going by fast. Every night I keep having dreams about escaping the rat race. That dream is my burning motivation to grow and work towards achieving my personal goals.

My only advice to everyone, keep grinding and working towards entrepreneurship because we only get 1 life. Let’s make the most of it. Luckily, for us at the forum, we know what we need to do because we have TMF .

Great post, it resonated with me. Thanks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.