The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Too many folks just ASK...
  • How do I find a client?
  • How do I find a mentor?
  • How do I find a business idea?

Or they want to give, but ASK how...
  • Can I help you?
  • What can I help you with?
  • Do you need help with XYZ?

Don't ask, give.

Don't even ask what you can give, or ask for permission to give.

People are busy. Don't make them think. Make it easy for them to say yes.

What if you sent someone this:

Hi <person you want to build a relationship with>,

I loved your LinkedIn post last week about <subject>.

I turned it into a carousel which is attached.

Here's the slides:
<show the slides so they don't have to open the doc to see them>.

I can make any changes you'd like, and if you want to upload it to LinkedIn then you can find simple instructions below.

Hope that helps!

<yourname>

Doc:
<doc attached>

How to upload to LinkedIn:
<simple step-by-step instructions>

You're not asking if they can help you, if they need help, or what they need help with.

You're not asking for permission to turn their LinkedIn post into a carousel.

What outcome do you think you'll get if you sent this with NO EXPECTATION of getting anything in return?

Do you think they'll respond even though you didn't ask them to?

Do you think you're more likely to get into a short (or long) conversation with them compared to all the other ASKS in their inbox?

What's your takeaway? What will you do different going foward?

Can you think of other simple GIVES that don't need permission?

Here's a 12 second story of me not asking for permission:

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/xYEEhRyF1qA?si=rgdk88WpPNqbHxzq

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

shubham___3011

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 29, 2023
India
The take away is provide free value first rather than asking for something directly, moving forward ill keep a tab on the person i want to connect with and see if they have any problems and provide a free solution to it in someway

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The take away is provide free value first rather than asking for something directly, moving forward ill keep a tab on the person i want to connect with and see if they have any problems and provide a free solution to it in someway
Perfect. Become a problem solver. It's so hard to find problem solvers that business owners take notice when one crosses their path.

Oh, I just added a short video to the opening post that might help too.

Oden

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 10, 2019
I know it's just an example, but if I received a message like that I would just think it's weird.

I sometimes get similar stuff to my business inbox, and my immediate reaction is "ok, so what's his real motive here?" Almost as if I can feel them trying to attach a fishing hook on me, in hopes that I won't notice.

But perhaps I'm an outlier and people react differently.

I agree with the idea though. It's about what you can provide and offer.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I know it's just an example, but if I received a message like that I would just think it's weird.

I sometimes get similar stuff to my business inbox, and my immediate reaction is "ok, so what's his real motive here?" Almost as if I can feel them trying to attach a fishing hook on me, in hopes that I won't notice.

Good feedback.

Personally I wouldn't just send something like that cold. I'd likely already be in some sort of conversation with them. Then instead of asking to show what I can do for them I'd just knock something up quick and "show, don't tell".

If it was a LinkedIn message or reply to you I might just post:

"Hi Olov. I loved this post so much I turned it into a carousel. Feel free to use it!
<link>."

Then, poof, I'm gone.

If you reply great. If not it doesn't matter, I'm already chatting to someone else. If you're suspicious of a free gift then that's ok too. I'm still up the road chatting to different people and having a ball. (That's not meant in any kind of passive-aggressive way. I literally post or email and keep on going. I log into the forum, post, and bugger off.)

shubham___3011

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 29, 2023
India

Hmmm what makes you think that way as if they are trying to attach a fishing hook to me also what is the method you use to reach out to new people?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hmmm what makes you think that way as if they are trying to attach a fishing hook to me also what is the method you use to reach out to new people?
Good question. @Olov... what emails or PMs catch your attention?

Oden

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 10, 2019
Good feedback.

Personally I wouldn't just send something like that cold. I'd likely already be in some sort of conversation with them. Then instead of asking to show what I can do for them I'd just knock something up quick and "show, don't tell".

If it was a LinkedIn message or reply to you I might just post:

"Hi Olov. I loved this post so much I turned it into a carousel. Feel free to use it!
<link>."

Then, poof, I'm gone.

If you reply great. If not it doesn't matter, I'm already chatting to someone else. If you're suspicious of a free gift then that's ok too. I'm still up the road chatting to different people.
Aha, I thought it was cold messages. Then I apologize, I misunderstood.

For sure, if someone that I've been in contact with sent that message it would be a different story.

I might have been too harsh. I didn't mean to come across as negative. I like your strategy.

I get emails and messages daily with people trying to persuade me into hiring them, buying their services or whatever. After a few years, it becomes quite annoying having to sort through all the attempts of persuasion.

I rather have people be upfront with what they can offer and how it can benefit me. Without the a$$-kissing and fakeness. Note, I'm not saying that's what Andy does - rather the opposite. He seem to be doing exactly how I think business and offers should be made. I just thought this was cold messages being sent out.

I don't sell any service, so I rarely have to reach out to new people.

Oden

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 10, 2019
Good question. @Olov... what emails or PMs catch your attention?
Mostly it's straight-to-the-point stuff.

"Hey,

I see that you have X, I can help you improve it with Y. I attached some of my work"

But I don't think that's a winning strategy in general. It works on me, but probably not on the majority. I'm an old, grumpy man. :)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Mostly it's straight-to-the-point stuff.

"Hey,

I see that you have X, I can help you improve it with Y. I attached some of my work"

But I don't think that's a winning strategy in general. It works on me, but probably not on the majority. I'm an old, grumpy man. :)
I'm a grumpy old man too. You've seen my avatar right?

Ok, not always grumpy, but I do facepalm at the horrendous long cold messages and emails that spam me. LinkedIn seems to have cleaned that up, or maybe my avatar scares people off.

For context, here's what got me to create this thread:

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Too many folks just ASK...
  • How do I find a client?
  • How do I find a mentor?
  • How do I find a business idea?

Or they want to give, but ASK how...
  • Can I help you?
  • What can I help you with?
  • Do you need help with XYZ?

Give, don't ask.

Don't even ask what you can give, or ask for permission to give.

People are busy. Don't make them think. Make it easy for them to say yes.

What if you sent someone this:

Hi <person you want to build a relationship with>,

I loved your LinkedIn post last week about <subject>.

I turned it into a carousel which is attached.

Here's the slides:
<show the slides so they don't have to open the doc to see them>.

I can make any changes you'd like, and if you want to upload it to LinkedIn then you can find simple instructions below.

Hope that helps!

<yourname>

Doc:
<doc attached>

How to upload to LinkedIn:
<simple step-by-step instructions>

You're not asking if they can help you, if they need help, or what they need help with.

You're not asking for permission to turn their LinkedIn post into a carousel.

What outcome do you think you'll get if you sent this with NO EXPECTATION of getting anything in return?

Do you think they'll respond even though you didn't ask them to?

Do you think you're more likely to get into a short (or long) conversation with them compared to all the other ASKS in their inbox?

What's your takeaway? What will you do different going foward?

Can you think of other simple GIVES that don't need permission?

Here's a wee story of me not asking for permission:

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/xYEEhRyF1qA?si=rgdk88WpPNqbHxzq
Man that video is gold.

Thanks for sharing. Could be a strategy to get recurring customers for window cleaning - just walk in there are start cleaning without saying a word :)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Man that video is gold.

Thanks for sharing. Could be a strategy to get recurring customers for window cleaning - just walk in there are start cleaning without saying a word :)
There's a guy in here who cleans road signs and posts to social media. I can't remember his username or the thread.

shubham___3011

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 29, 2023
India
I'm a grumpy old man too. You've seen my avatar right?

Ok, not always grumpy, but I do facepalm at the horrendous long cold messages and emails that spam me. LinkedIn seems to have cleaned that up, or maybe my avatar scares people off.

For context, here's what got me to create this thread:

what emails or PMs catch your attention? @Andy Black

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
but andy dont you think people might just ignore it and think woah we are getting our glasses cleaned for free why care? @Subsonic
Yes some will but others will then hire you and then you make money.

It's the as making an ad.

shubham___3011

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 29, 2023
India
Yes some will but others will then hire you and then you make money.

It's the as making an ad.
Okay thank you for your response also Im asked this to andy to what kind of email does get your attention? or what kind or email usually gets mass attention?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@Fox interviewed my some years ago about finding website design clients.

My response was to unilaterally send out website redesign mocks.

Don't ask, give.

Applied in action:

ASK: Hey, I noticed your website can use an update. Can I send you a mockup of your new website?"

GIVE: Here is a mock up of your website redesigned for maximum sales and conversion. I can get this launched for you in just 5 days."

ASK is a standard approach that likely will get a 1% conversion.

The GIVE is non-standard and likely will get a higher conversion, perhaps 10% or better, assuming you reach the right person. With GIVE, you see the product and the results -- no sales is needed other than quality of the product/design.

With Canva and other design tools making such "mocks" are pretty easily created.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

jclean

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Dec 9, 2016
This week I did a promotion in a written advertising paper ( we never do this we focus on google en FB ads)

The newzpaper liked my promotion so much they let me be on the front page for free with a big article.

This has been distributed to 65,000 addresses
In my area started on monday

My action : we come to wash windows for free to a maximum of 20 windows inside and outside: result so far 102 and counting potential customers in my crm system.
About 15 have already been converted as paying customers.

We are entering the slow season and I want to counter this as much as possible these leads again give me the opportunity to generate additional work. For now and for many years to come since that window washing is recurring.

The reciprocity principle is one of the basic laws of social psychology: It says that in many social situations we pay back what we received from others.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
ASK: Hey, I noticed your website can use an update. Can I send you a mockup of your new website?"

GIVE: Here is a mock up of your website redesigned for maximum sales and conversion. I can get this launched for you in just 5 days."
Sorry MJ, but I have seen agencies / freelancers try to apply this method without any strong results. I have tried applying it myself at times, also without any strong results. So I am vehemently opposed to it, I don’t think it makes business sense or teaches people to start with the right mindset.

I am actually curious, is there anyone who does this here who is successful? Ie, growing a successful web design agency (>$200K+/yr revenues) in this case? Let them step forward…

I know several people like @RicardoGrande from Fox Web School who try this highly personalized, low volume approach (case in point:
Post in thread 'Exiting the cubicle farm and taking Web-Design full time'
HOT! - SIDE HUSTLE - WEB DESIGN - Exiting the cubicle farm and taking Web-Design full time)
. Most end up working days, months, to send 2,500 emails, and land 3-6 clients. In the same time, I’m sending 30,000 emails, and land 15 clients or so.

There are several problems:

1) Most cold outreach gets ignored or not even opened. Let’s say 60% get opened. Out of those that get opened maybe another 50% get read and given a fair hearing. This means that for every 10 people you contact, 7 won’t even bother… you’ll be spending time to create mockups for 7 people who won’t even consider your work. Why? Why not “rack the shotgun” first, see who is interested, and then invest in those who bothered to raise their hands?

2) I know I’ll receive some hatred for this, but priority number 1 in business is staying alive and making money, not serving people. If you don’t stay alive, nobody will be getting served anyway. Which means you need to make money, from people who are happy to pay you, without expecting you to stand on your head for it.

3) While you’re busy creating the mockups, I’m busy contacting 1,000s of people at once. Even with 1% conversion rate vs 10%, who will have more clients, and therefore more money if I contact 1000x the number of people you can contact with the GIVE first approch?

4) Every serious business takes first, and then gives. I go to a lawyer, I pay them, then I get served. I go to a doctor, I pay, then they treat me. I come on the fastlane forum, I pay first, then my ad gets served. Right? So why should I, as a business, devalue myself by doing what is essentially free work without getting paid first?

5) If someone offers to do something for free for me or gives me something free unsolicited, unless I already trust them and they’re not a stranger, I think “loser”. So do other people, because they know important people don’t do free work. They’re important.

6) You should never sell before you qualify. How do you know the guy needs or wants a website? Let’s say someone redid a design of my website, and emailed it to me, fully complete. I like it, and he claims it will increase conversions. I still can’t be bothered because I don’t really use my website for selling, so 50% improvement on 0 is still 0 lol… the poor guy wasted days of his life slaving away for nothing because he didn’t qualify me.

If this method works so well, I want to know where all the successful people using it are hiding? Because from what I see, the graveyards are littered with their bodies.

Last edited:

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
When it comes to straight up cold messages I prefer people just getting to the point.

For my outreach message I’m currently testing a method of asking question then when they respond I personalise the reply with an example of how my service works using an example of their actual customer.

Also I’m contacting potential clients using website contact forms. Basically it’s a 100% delivery rate and you don’t have to worry about spam or unopens. Downside is that it’s time consuming to complete them.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States

I get a dozen cold emails a day. They are all bad.

If there was a good one, I would read it out of sheer amazement.

Your suggestion here is a good one, really just anything to stand out and show that the person you are reaching out to is not one of hundreds on a cold email list.

Genuine personalization will get responses. And a sentence of info about “oh I like your product x what a great idea [rest of the pitch]” doesn’t count.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Genuine personalization will get responses.
How do you know? Have you done it?

As an example, about 2 years ago I sent 30 video looms one day — actual personalized looms, with the people’s website opened in the background, and a thumbnail so they could see that. You know what the results were?

8 people viewed them. The others completely ignored them.

And out of the 8 who viewed them, 2 responded, and they weren’t qualified.

Automated personalization at scale does work. But just overinvesting in low volume personalization, in today’s market, doesn’t get results. If you don’t believe me, go ahead and try it, then report back on your findings.

I prefer to use cold emails that get people into thinking they’re personalized, such as saying “Happy Friday!” Or whatever day of the week it is. And then personalizing heavily based on their industry and things that are true for the majority in that industry. Plus adding specificity. Sort of like cold reading in person. This maximises response rates, indeed, and can be done lazily and at massive scale.

Anecdotal experience from what you think you’d do in that situation is irrelevant, because you’re not most people. Most people who post on the fastlane forum, are, for example, more intelligent than your average human being. They’re also more willing to socialize than most people, that’s why they’re on a forum.

Most people aren’t like this. They just obey rules unconsciously. “Don’t work with strangers” = regardless of what the cold email says, ignore it. If you land on a person like that, it simply doesn’t matter what you say or don’t say in the email, nothing will happen. Your hyper personalization is wasted on them.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England

As an example, about 2 years ago I sent 30 video looms one day — actual personalized looms, with the people’s website opened in the background, and a thumbnail so they could see that. You know what the results were?

8 people viewed them. The others completely ignored them.

And out of the 8 who viewed them, 2 responded, and they weren’t qualified.

Automated personalization at scale does work. But just overinvesting in low volume personalization, in today’s market, doesn’t get results. If you don’t believe me, go ahead and try it, then report back on your findings.

I prefer to use cold emails that get people into thinking they’re personalized, such as saying “Happy Friday!” Or whatever day of the week it is. And then personalizing heavily based on their industry and things that are true for the majority in that industry. Plus adding specificity. Sort of like cold reading in person. This maximises response rates, indeed, and can be done lazily and at massive scale.

Anecdotal experience from what you think you’d do in that situation is irrelevant, because you’re not most people. Most people who post on the fastlane forum, are, for example, more intelligent than your average human being. They’re also more willing to socialize than most people, that’s why they’re on a forum.

Most people aren’t like this. They just obey rules unconsciously. “Don’t work with strangers” = regardless of what the cold email says, ignore it. If you land on a person like that, it simply doesn’t matter what you say or don’t say in the email, nothing will happen. Your hyper personalization is wasted on them.
Agee but also depends on what you’re selling and the price.

I would never personalise every first cold outreach message. I only personalise the reply to the ones that respond to my initial question.

And the reason I personalise on the second one is because I can show them an exact result of how my system works demonstrated on their actual customer.

It takes me around 20 seconds to personalise the response email.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Agee but also depends on what you’re selling and the price.

I would never personalise every first cold outreach message. I only personalise the reply to the ones that respond to my initial question.

And the reason I personalise on the second one is because I can show them an exact result of how my system works demonstrated on their actual customer.

It takes me around 20 seconds to personalise the response email.
Oh, I fully agree with going highly personalized to people who engage. It's worth the effort at that point!

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
449%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
@Fox interviewed my some years ago about finding website design clients.

Don't ask, give.

Applied in action:

ASK is a standard approach that likely will get a 1% conversion.

The GIVE is non-standard and likely will get a higher conversion, perhaps 10% or better, assuming you reach the right person. With GIVE, you see the product and the results -- no sales is needed other than quality of the product/design.

With Canva and other design tools making such "mocks" are pretty easily created.
Sorry but this is bad advice. If you spend time on something like a mockup, it suggests you are low value with too much time on your hands. I've done it before and the results were bad. Especially with a market like web design - people are bombarded with 100's of offers a day in some cases because the barriers to entry are so low.

You need to solve deep problems that others cannot. If that happens to use web design, that's great. Ultimately, the value of a website comes how it helps achieve the formula "traffic x conversion = sales". What you're really innovating is either the ability to obtain more traffic, or convert more of it into valuable members of your community (which may or may not lead to sales). "Web design" plays as much a role in this as a fashion model -- it's important but icing on a bigger cake.

The real question is how to get leads for your own gig. @Andy Black advocates a softy softy approach. Whilst this may work for lower level clients, high performers won't respond favourably - they have very specific needs that only a few people can solve. You want to become one of those people.

The hallmark of high value is specificity. "Can I help you with financial advice?" is to "Are you looking to protect your assets with a Cook Islands trust?" as a hotdog stand is to a gourmet restaurant. The more specific you can afford to be whilst retaining relevancy, the more valuable your offer. On top of this, the most valuable people tell you - tersely - what they do. "We set up Cook Islands trusts to help millionaires protect their assets" vs "We're a boutique financial advice company in X town with Y employees. We help Z type employees boost their retirement savings with ___." --> the latter will never elevate because it's too broad and will mostly attract casual clients.

Sorry MJ, but I have seen agencies / freelancers try to apply this method without any strong results. I have tried applying it myself at times, also without any strong results. So I am vehemently opposed to it, I don’t think it makes business sense or teaches people to start with the right mindset.

I am actually curious, is there anyone who does this here who is successful? Ie, growing a successful web design agency (>$200K+/yr revenues) in this case? Let them step forward…

I know several people like @RicardoGrande from Fox Web School who try this highly personalized, low volume approach (case in point:
Post in thread 'Exiting the cubicle farm and taking Web-Design full time'
HOT! - SIDE HUSTLE - WEB DESIGN - Exiting the cubicle farm and taking Web-Design full time)
. Most end up working days, months, to send 2,500 emails, and land 3-6 clients. In the same time, I’m sending 30,000 emails, and land 15 clients or so.

There are several problems:

1) Most cold outreach gets ignored or not even opened. Let’s say 60% get opened. Out of those that get opened maybe another 50% get read and given a fair hearing. This means that for every 10 people you contact, 7 won’t even bother… you’ll be spending time to create mockups for 7 people who won’t even consider your work. Why? Why not “rack the shotgun” first, see who is interested, and then invest in those who bothered to raise their hands?

2) I know I’ll receive some hatred for this, but priority number 1 in business is staying alive and making money, not serving people. If you don’t stay alive, nobody will be getting served anyway. Which means you need to make money, from people who are happy to pay you, without expecting you to stand on your head for it.

3) While you’re busy creating the mockups, I’m busy contacting 1,000s of people at once. Even with 1% conversion rate vs 10%, who will have more clients, and therefore more money if I contact 1000x the number of people you can contact with the GIVE first approch?

4) Every serious business takes first, and then gives. I go to a lawyer, I pay them, then I get served. I go to a doctor, I pay, then they treat me. I come on the fastlane forum, I pay first, then my ad gets served. Right? So why should I, as a business, devalue myself by doing what is essentially free work without getting paid first?

5) If someone offers to do something for free for me or gives me something free unsolicited, unless I already trust them and they’re not a stranger, I think “loser”. So do other people, because they know important people don’t do free work. They’re important.

6) You should never sell before you qualify. How do you know the guy needs or wants a website? Let’s say someone redid a design of my website, and emailed it to me, fully complete. I like it, and he claims it will increase conversions. I still can’t be bothered because I don’t really use my website for selling, so 50% improvement on 0 is still 0 lol… the poor guy wasted days of his life slaving away for nothing because he didn’t qualify me.

If this method works so well, I want to know where all the successful people using it are hiding? Because from what I see, the graveyards are littered with their bodies.

This is nearer to what you need to be aiming for - leverage born of having actually solved the problem already.

In the end, every business is selling results. The quality and quantity of results determine how much + how many people are willing to buy them. The best businesses work on generating results first and offering them on the market afterwards.

To this end, they generally don't need to be doing "cold outreach" because they already are engage in a more structured & systemic approach, which would typically involve using promotional techniques to build brand awareness before a more targeted approach for decision makers ("Lucy choosy the stationery buyer!" - my first job out of school was basically to figure out how to get Lucy to like the company I worked for so she'd recommend them to her boss; the company paid this guy £1k a day to tell them how to do this). None of that works without a unique + potent set of results to offer in the first place.

Sounds difficult? That's because it is. The "power dynamic" Tudor mentioned above (IE a business doesn't give a F*ck whether you care about them or not, just make sure you can pay) is how all successful transactions occur in a capitalistic system. Men who complain about dating = low value. People spending hours on mockups to outreach = low value.

The solution is to work like a dog on the shittiest level projects possible in order to build your experience. Use that experience to develop a set of unique systems/processes which you can eventually start to adapt to providing specific - highly valuable - results. Once you achieve this, you can then productize the result and a business slowly starts to form.

That process is so hard because of the amount of will you need to pull it off. This is why most never get anywhere; the weaker ones are drawn to the easiest path, which typically involves the latest bullshit craze like reposting "dank memes" on TikTok or sending out mockups because someone may bite and you'll get money. None of those things work on a big scale because they are highly commodified. You need to do extremely difficult things - that only you can do - so you get unique & highly valuable results. Excellent marketers then sell the results (not their solution) to generate demand - which you then work extremely hard on positioning your company as the best at offering.

Last edited:

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
The hallmark of high value is specificity. "Can I help you with financial advice?" is to "Are you looking to protect your assets with a Cook Islands trust?" as a hotdog stand is to a gourmet restaurant.
Yes but... it may not be a good idea to market yourself as the "Are you looking to protect your assets with a Cook Islands trust" guy because it narrows your appeal. Then the difficulty becomes how do I find or get found by all those guys looking to get a Cook Islands trust (and there aren't that many to start with)?

Some doors are only opened by referrals. For example, if you wanted to open a Cook Islands trust for Bill Gates, the only way that deal would get through is if someone from Bill's network introduced you. Bill simply doesn't work with losers outside of his network (and by definition, if you're outside his network, you ARE a loser lol), regardless of what you'd write in your cold email or say in a cold call.

If a door is opened by referrals, it doesn't matter how you market yourself. If Bill gets told by someone he trusts that @rpeck90 is the go-to guy for opening a Cook Islands trust, it doesn't matter that you market yourself as "financial advisory" or whatever else.

In the long run, the only thing that will save you (and all of us) is massive authority. It's more important than product, results, audience or anything else.

Look at Alex Hormozi. He came out with an average product at best. It's called $100M Offers. Then he bankrolled an operation to get his content out everywhere in massive quantities. He appeared on the biggest podcasts. He got his book in the hands of the biggest influencers. And so on. Now, Alex is a household name. People want to work with him just because of his brand. A brand built on an average (I'd actually say below average) product, a vague story of some success, and say $1,000,000 worth of invested capital to bankroll the content production (maybe much less, but I'm just throwing a number). Now Alex can do anything.

And he's nothing special. Really. Most of his content is incoherent and makes no sense – to a trained marketer at least. Most of his advice is nonsense or basic, beginner-level stuff. He's the exact opposite, in fact, of what you advocate for. He is successful primarily because of his brand and also his network – the people he knows. And yet, business owners flock to his feet to get "saved". By him. And they listen to his advice. Why? Because they've been told to listen to his advice by the media. So authority is the ultimate advantage.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Because when I receive one from someone, I respond to it. I get about 1000 cold emails a year, and only a few are any good.

When done right, they don’t even feel like a pitch.

The loom pitches like you mentioned I ignore and delete though. Maybe because they are always accompanied by an obvious copy/paste template. I wasn’t speaking to MJ’s idea of mock-ups specifically, just that tailoring your email to the sender is a lot more effective than just spamming a template email.

I think the looms suck because I’m in “busy inbox mode” and I can’t skim them in 3 seconds. Too much of a commitment to make me watch something. (Same reason I don’t like using looms for internal SOPs… not skimmable).

But if a CRO person sent me a specific bullet point list of everything that sucked on my main PDP and how to fix it… and it was clear they knew exactly what they were talking about, I’d certainly respond, especially so if I was already thinking the website needed some work.

But I’ve never gotten an email like that. Just generic templates.

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I haven’t done a ton cold outreach myself, but one thing I’ve done is celeb partnerships (1M+ social followers, usually a TV or other presence as well).

Here’s what that process looked like:

1) Hours of research to find someone who is likely to be a perfect match to our product.

2) Short and to the point 2 sentence pitch.

3) Hit them on every possible channel to increase odds of that message being seen in their deluge of an inbox. (I did a deal with a top 50 YouTuber. The cold email that got through was the one I sent addressed to his wife, to her company’s customer service inbox. But I also messaged every social channel etc. as well).

If I do a good job in step #1, then step #2 and #3 don’t feel like spam to the receiver.

Maybe 50% of those pitches turned into a successful deal, so extremely good hit rate. But it’s a ton more time investment than just filling up a cold email software with scraped email addresses and hoping for the best.(which I did in the past with another business).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.