The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Domain Name Renewal Tip

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Another tip for anyone that owns more than a few domains.

Not sure why it took me so long to realize this, but you can't think of everything I guess.

Anyways, of course your domains should be set to auto-renew so you don't accidentally let them drop, but make sure they DON'T auto renew.

Instead, every few months go in and renew the ones that are expiring soon manually and, you guessed it, USE A COUPON.

If you let them auto-renew Godaddy does it at the full price, so you can save 30% every year on every domain by doing it manually using a coupon.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
What do you think of Sync'ing the domains so they expire at the same time? I know Godaddy offers this... not sure how it works or if it really makes life better.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
well it does make it easier to manage expiry dates. But I prefer to renew them all at random dates just so I don't have one big hit to my cashflow... that feels too much like taxes ;)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
it is not a tax, it is a business expense :D

thanks for your input.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Godaddy offered to do that for me, advantage being that you get a super cheap price if you have a ton of them. but same as Jon, didnt want a huge expense like that every year.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yea, Auto-Renew should only be used as an insurance policy and the cost of the policy is the full price renewal. Manually renew every year and use coupons. I've had auto-renew active for years but never relied on it once.

sk24iam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 22, 2009
Washington DC
Lets say I'm in the opposite position... There is a domain I would like to buy that is not being used and expires in a few months. I am hoping the owner does not intend to renew it or forgets to. What is the best way to purchase this domain when it becomes available?

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Lets say I'm in the opposite position... There is a domain I would like to buy that is not being used and expires in a few months. I am hoping the owner does not intend to renew it or forgets to. What is the best way to purchase this domain when it becomes available?

I don't know if it's the BEST way, but I simply backordered the domain name that I wanted with GoDaddy. After it expired and the previous owner decided not to renew it, I got it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
If you let them auto-renew Godaddy does it at the full price, so you can save 30% every year on every domain by doing it manually using a coupon.

Sorry, I'm just too lazy to do this. Auto renew all the way baby!!!

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Sorry, I'm just too lazy to do this. Auto renew all the way baby!!!

It just means you don't have enough names yet.

If you had 500 names x $10 = $5000 / year

30% savings = 1 months vacation condo rental in Scottsdale. Worth about 10 minutes a year to me. But you are my idol when it comes to being a slacker, so I confess I still may have a lot to learn. ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.