The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do I need to buy hosting as well for my website? or just the domain name is fine?

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Pretty confused about this one. Do I need to buy the cPanel hosting as well? Or should I just buy the domain name? The latter option would be cheaper, since I just need the site to experiment with blogging and SEO, maybe monetize in the long term.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Pretty confused about this one. Do I need to buy the cPanel hosting as well? Or should I just buy the domain name? The latter option would be cheaper, since I just need the site to experiment with blogging and SEO, maybe monetize in the long term.

If you are buying and selling domains then you only need the domain. If you want to build a website then you will probably need some kind of hosting.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
If you are buying and selling domains then you only need the domain. If you want to build a website then you will probably need some kind of hosting.
I just need the domain to get my blog online, maybe later I can add the hosting as well. So just the domain then?

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
I
I just need the domain to get my blog online, maybe later I can add the hosting as well. So just the domain then?
I have written a few posts as well, and will be expimenting with themes and plugins while publishing articles regularly.

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.
Somebody needs to house your posts and themes and plugins and connect them to the internet. Your domain name is an address. Like the number on your street that tells people where you live.

You're basically asking... "Ok so I've been building this furniture and got a bunch of rugs and a bed. Do I need a house to put them in? It would be cheaper if I just drop them at my address and sleep there. Do I need a house?"

Yes. You need hosting. The question is, do you need someone else to host it for you? Do you know how to set up a local server and connect it to the internet so that Google's bots can crawl it and you can mess around with SEO?

If you can build your own house, you don't need to rent someone else's.

Or get a tent.

There are very cheap hosting options out there. Also free domain options. So if you're interested in digging around you don't have to splash the cash to learn how search engines work. You can get a trial from some people for $1. There's hosting at $3/month. It's not good hosting, mind you, so you'd probably need to move in someone else's house if you want to actually have people visit regularly, but it's good enough for your work to sleep in and for Google's spiders to build their webs in it.

But, honestly... this is really basic stuff. It should take you 5-10 minutes to figure it out. You don't need us to tell you this, and if you're trying to learn how search engines work and how to do SEO, but you don't even know how to search whether or not you need hosting for your website...

You'd likely have an easier time if you started from there.

It's very difficult to figure out SEO if you don't know how search engines work for the end-user (e.g. you)

Go and ask them questions and see how they answer. Figure out these issues for yourself. Tell us what you learn. And we'd be way more inclined to help you out and point out if what you learned needs adjusting. Blanket questions like "How do I build a house? Do I need bricks?" aren't very helpful.

trylks

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 4, 2020
Europe
There are free hosting options. At this point, what you need to do is search for information in the Internet, understand the technology, and make an informed decision.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Somebody needs to house your posts and themes and plugins and connect them to the internet. Your domain name is an address. Like the number on your street that tells people where you live.

You're basically asking... "Ok so I've been building this furniture and got a bunch of rugs and a bed. Do I need a house to put them in? It would be cheaper if I just drop them at my address and sleep there. Do I need a house?"

Yes. You need hosting. The question is, do you need someone else to host it for you? Do you know how to set up a local server and connect it to the internet so that Google's bots can crawl it and you can mess around with SEO?

If you can build your own house, you don't need to rent someone else's.

Or get a tent.

There are very cheap hosting options out there. Also free domain options. So if you're interested in digging around you don't have to splash the cash to learn how search engines work. You can get a trial from some people for $1. There's hosting at $3/month. It's not good hosting, mind you, so you'd probably need to move in someone else's house if you want to actually have people visit regularly, but it's good enough for your work to sleep in and for Google's spiders to build their webs in it.

But, honestly... this is really basic stuff. It should take you 5-10 minutes to figure it out. You don't need us to tell you this, and if you're trying to learn how search engines work and how to do SEO, but you don't even know how to search whether or not you need hosting for your website...

You'd likely have an easier time if you started from there.

It's very difficult to figure out SEO if you don't know how search engines work for the end-user (e.g. you)

Go and ask them questions and see how they answer. Figure out these issues for yourself. Tell us what you learn. And we'd be way more inclined to help you out and point out if what you learned needs adjusting. Blanket questions like "How do I build a house? Do I need bricks?" aren't very helpful.
Not an expert at SEO so still alot to figure out. And the house analogy was extremely helpful. Couldn’t be more simpler to explain. Thank you so much for that. I’ll definitely come back to this post, and keep giving you guys further updates as I learn along.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
There are free hosting options. At this point, what you need to do is search for information in the Internet, understand the technology, and make an informed decision.
Thank you, can you suggest some free hosting options here?

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Not an expert at SEO so still alot to figure out. And the house analogy was extremely helpful. Couldn’t be more simpler to explain. Thank you so much for that. I’ll definitely come back to this post, and keep giving you guys further updates as I learn along.

Man, I'm not one to be a downer, but if you didn't know what hosting was or that you needed it, you should reconsider the entire consulting gig.

Businesses support livelihoods -- it's as serious as it gets -- if you don't know what you're doing it's going to cause a lot of harm to clients, yourself and to the industry as a whole.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Thank you, can you suggest some free hosting options here?
You get what you pay for. I had poor uptime, facebook blocked some of my links, and my data was leaked by a free webhost. I now pay like $50 a year for my webhost and have much greater peace of mind.

The only free webhost I can recommend is Github Pages, but that only supports static sites.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
You get what you pay for. I had poor uptime, facebook blocked some of my links, and my data was leaked by a free webhost. I now pay like $50 a year for my webhost and have much greater peace of mind.

The only free webhost I can recommend is Github Pages, but that only supports static sites.
Is bluehost any good?

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Man, I'm not one to be a downer, but if you didn't know what hosting was or that you needed it, you should reconsider the entire consulting gig.

Businesses support livelihoods -- it's as serious as it gets -- if you don't know what you're doing it's going to cause a lot of harm to clients, yourself and to the industry as a whole.
As I said, I don'r have everthing figured out, nor do I claim to be an expert..just started learning about everything has been a new experience for me. Hoping to learn some more as I go along before i start taking on clients,

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.