The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does Anyone Here Do Local Lead Generation? Too Good to Be True?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

notorious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Dec 29, 2021
Lately, I've been researching local lead generation. At first glance it looks nice, since after some time it becomes semi-passive income and is scalable as you can target more businesses who need leads.

The thing I don't understand is why those plumbers, roofers, etc would need someone else to get leads for them. In my country and many other countries, there's an extreme demand for these types of tradesmen. All of them are booked for the next two months, with some of them not even bothering to show up if they don't feel like it, just because there's so much demand.

So is this a sustainable business or just another scheme that gurus are making money off? Looking for people who are doing this or did this in the past.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Move the chains

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Dec 15, 2019
Lately, I've been researching local lead generation. At first glance it looks nice, since after some time it becomes semi-passive income and is scalable as you can target more businesses who need leads.

The thing I don't understand is why those plumbers, roofers, etc would need someone else to get leads for them. In my country and many other countries, there's an extreme demand for these types of tradesmen. All of them are booked for the next two months, with some of them not even bothering to show up if they don't feel like it, just because there's so much demand.

So is this a sustainable business or just another scheme that gurus are making money off? Looking for people who are doing this or did this in the past.
I'm doing local lead generation and still learning (I'm in the early stages but have made some income from it). I'm in circles with people who make major money with it but they've been in it for longer than I have.

There are different strategies and approaches in terms of how to generate leads. I'm going the SEO / GMB (now GBP) route but there's people doing PPC too.

While there are business owners killing it and booked out, there are always plenty more who are desperate for more business and new owners entering the market.

It's not as easy as the guru's make it sounds. It takes work, Google's constantly changing things to make it harder and dealing with shady or incompetent business owners. It's definitely not passive in the beginning but I can see how it would be close to that further down the road and there's good profit at that point too.

For me, once I've started to be around the people in lead gen and SEO, seeing how they operate has been really eye opening. So many ways to make money leveraging this knowledge. I'm looking forward to being able to focus on it full-time.

If I can help with any questions, feel free to ask.

Curious to know if we have any more lead gen people in here too.

notorious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Dec 29, 2021
I'm doing local lead generation and still learning (I'm in the early stages but have made some income from it). I'm in circles with people who make major money with it but they've been in it for longer than I have.

There are different strategies and approaches in terms of how to generate leads. I'm going the SEO / GMB (now GBP) route but there's people doing PPC too.
Wow, interesting to read from someone who is legit and is doing good. Good job man!

It's not as easy as the guru's make it sounds. It takes work, Google's constantly changing things to make it harder and dealing with shady or incompetent business owners. It's definitely not passive in the beginning but I can see how it would be close to that further down the road and there's good profit at that point too.
I feel like it's very similiar to the hype around stock trading and NFTs: because the barrier is so low, you have a lot of bullshit resources from people who don't know what they're talking about. They make more money from educating people than actually trading themselves. With that said, some traders do make money, yet there are as many if not a lot more people losing it. The nice thing about lead generation is that it probably has a way higher rate of succes than stock trading.

For me, once I've started to be around the people in lead gen and SEO, seeing how they operate has been really eye opening. So many ways to make money leveraging this knowledge. I'm looking forward to being able to focus on it full-time.
I can imagine. It teaches you a lot about marketing which you can use in any kind of business and will always be a valuable skill.

If I can help with any questions, feel free to ask.
I actually do have a few questions:
- If you have any, what are some legit youtube channels you'd recommend for keeping up to date with local lead generation/SEO?
- How often do you have clients suddenly wanting to stop your lead service? If it happens, what do you do with the website, do you keep it for SEO purposes or get rid of it?
- What's your system for compensation, meaning when does your client pay you? Is it per call, per qualified lead, per actual payment, per month?

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I'm being paid $20 to generate leads for a appliance repair company.

There are some businesses that are booked and don't need promote, there are others that have a bad rep. and need new customers and thus need help generating leads.

Balkins

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2016
I'm being paid $20 to generate leads for a appliance repair company.

There are some businesses that are booked and don't need promote, there are others that have a bad rep. and need new customers and thus need help generating leads.
Fantastic... what Avenue are you trying to get leads?

I heard FB is quite played out these days...

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Fantastic... what Avenue are you trying to get leads?

I heard FB is quite played out these days...
FB sir. Just started my campaign today. Wish me luck :D

Move the chains

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Dec 15, 2019
Wow, interesting to read from someone who is legit and is doing good. Good job man!

I feel like it's very similiar to the hype around stock trading and NFTs: because the barrier is so low, you have a lot of bullshit resources from people who don't know what they're talking about. They make more money from educating people than actually trading themselves. With that said, some traders do make money, yet there are as many if not a lot more people losing it. The nice thing about lead generation is that it probably has a way higher rate of succes than stock trading.

I can imagine. It teaches you a lot about marketing which you can use in any kind of business and will always be a valuable skill.

I actually do have a few questions:
- If you have any, what are some legit youtube channels you'd recommend for keeping up to date with local lead generation/SEO?
- How often do you have clients suddenly wanting to stop your lead service? If it happens, what do you do with the website, do you keep it for SEO purposes or get rid of it?
- What's your system for compensation, meaning when does your client pay you? Is it per call, per qualified lead, per actual payment, per month?
I agree it's similar to NFTs with people trying to sell stuff but that could be said for anything that suggests there's money to be made. And let's remember most of these YouTubers are probably trying to make money from their channel so # of views and subs is key.

Yes, it's definitely transferable skills. I'm going to be using what I've learned so far for another online business venture. I know a few others who either generate leads for their own company or end up with arbitrage or equity deals.

The hardest part is finding the right client to take the leads. Usually once they're settled and you've built a decent relationship, it's good providing you keep the leads flowing. If I did lose a client, the sites belong to me and I just rent it out to someone else instead.

This is going to vary depending on type of lead generation and the business you're selling them to. It can be any of these. Sometimes commission on jobs closed too or a retainer plus commission. Depends on the niche and volume too.

There isn't a YT channel that's going to teach you A-Z of lead gen. There's a lot to learn, it keeps changing, and different people value different strategies. If you're already in marketing, you probably appreciate how much marketers invest (time and finances) to keep learning new stuff. Depends what you're looking to learn too. I'd say the better content is in the Facebook lives in the lead gen groups.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

notorious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Dec 29, 2021
I agree it's similar to NFTs with people trying to sell stuff but that could be said for anything that suggests there's money to be made. And let's remember most of these YouTubers are probably trying to make money from their channel so # of views and subs is key.

Yes, it's definitely transferable skills. I'm going to be using what I've learned so far for another online business venture. I know a few others who either generate leads for their own company or end up with arbitrage or equity deals.

The hardest part is finding the right client to take the leads. Usually once they're settled and you've built a decent relationship, it's good providing you keep the leads flowing. If I did lose a client, the sites belong to me and I just rent it out to someone else instead.

This is going to vary depending on type of lead generation and the business you're selling them to. It can be any of these. Sometimes commission on jobs closed too or a retainer plus commission. Depends on the niche and volume too.

There isn't a YT channel that's going to teach you A-Z of lead gen. There's a lot to learn, it keeps changing, and different people value different strategies. If you're already in marketing, you probably appreciate how much marketers invest (time and finances) to keep learning new stuff. Depends what you're looking to learn too. I'd say the better content is in the Facebook lives in the lead gen groups.
Thanks for answering my questions, clears a lot up.
I have two more that I can't figure out: (I'm doing research but there's just so much bullshit out there)
- Do you start with building up and ranking the website first, or do you first look for clients?
- Do you go out of your way to check for "low competition niches", or do you just go for whatever company doesn't have a good online presence yet.
Valuable info in the threads you linked. Have you ever generated and sold leads, or are you more a consultant for businesses needing a better online presence?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Valuable info in the threads you linked. Have you ever generated and sold leads, or are you more a consultant for businesses needing a better online presence?
Ha. I wouldn't work with businesses with a fluffy goal of a "better online presence". I help businesses generate leads and sales. So far I've not gone the route of selling leads. Check out Dan Wardrope's "Flexxable" YouTube channel, and his book "Take The Lead". Also check out https://gohighlevel.com

Move the chains

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Dec 15, 2019
Ha. I wouldn't work with businesses with a fluffy goal of a "better online presence". I help businesses generate leads and sales. So far I've not gone the route of selling leads. Check out Dan Wardrope's "Flexxable" YouTube channel, and his book "Take The Lead". Also check out https://gohighlevel.com
And Ringba's YouTube channel has an entire course on pay per lead. Granted, they are also promoting their product and using call networks but there's some solid info.

Move the chains

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Dec 15, 2019
Thanks for answering my questions, clears a lot up.
I have two more that I can't figure out: (I'm doing research but there's just so much bullshit out there)
- Do you start with building up and ranking the website first, or do you first look for clients?
- Do you go out of your way to check for "low competition niches", or do you just go for whatever company doesn't have a good online presence yet.

I think this depends on what type of lead gen business you're building.

I have sites I've built and I then find clients for (sort of the rank and rent model) but expect to be able to get referrals or additional locations so I start having clients then building.

I also have some where I knew what niche I was targeting and knew I could send all the leads to a call network for pay per lead (not going as good as it initially sounded).

There are plenty of people who do pay per lead using paid ads too.

It can be useful to look for low competition niches, especially when starting out. If you know how to rank, you can rank anything eventually and with enough resources.

As for targeting specific companies, I know people who will find the client first and then build a lead gen or do paid ads to get them leads.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.