The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you practice a routine?

Anything related to matters of the mind

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I've come to conclusion that routinizing my life is the only way i'll have a chance at success.
I've avoided routines because i felt they were unnaturally constraining but i think i was wrong.

every time i try living with flexibility, keeping my goals in mind, my important to do's, and "go with the flow", i end up being lazy and complacent.
Inevitably i circle back to considering routines again, which made me wonder that since i naturally circle back to routines, maybe routines are a natural thing.

I thought about routines burning me out and losing willpower, but i think i found a great middle ground, which is routinizing only part of the day, and leaving the rest of it as a wildcard.

So here's my routine that im following from this day forward:
WEEKDAYS
wake up no later than 2:30 AM, meditate yoga workout for about 2.5 hours till 5am. work on apps around 2.5 hours till 730am, prepare and eat my one daily meal and relax until 9:30am, go to work 10AM to 6PM, get home and cardio till full body sweat and cold shower, some relaxing yoga stuff before bed at no later than 730pm to 830pm(depends on subway and work).

So on weekdays i have no wildcard time because the job eats it all.
But on weekends i can do the same exact routine in the morning and enjoy the rest of the day as i please.
If i wake up earlier i get even more time to enjoy.
I'll never stay out late on weekdays but if it ever happens on days off, then whenever i wake up ill still do the same routine, it'll just be less free time today since i effectively sacrificed it to yesterday.

So sticking to this routine guarantees at least around 2.5 hours a day for my business 7 days a week. If i got some momentum going i can always continue working on business on weekends after i eat and relax for a bit.

Do you follow routine that helps you succeed? please share!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
This last weekend I've learned how powerful your morning routine is, if you mess up your morning, the entire day could be ruined.

Having a to-do list and then prioritizing your most important task is a must too if you want to be successful.

I made a few mistakes this morning which had an impact on my productivity the whole day, you learn and adjust. I think of it as playing a chess game and then going back to see what inaccuracies and blunders you made.

struka

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 22, 2018
TN
I have one but I have not perfected it because there are times where I don't really feel like waking up at 5am or doing something at that specific time. I hope I get into a better habit of things.

Personally I feel that's not much sleep with working out twice a day and having a full work day... but maybe that's just me.

Al Berton

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 27, 2018
Good subject. I share your feeling regarding routines; having seen yours, I assume you aren't married :cool:

RichieG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Sep 27, 2018
I've come to conclusion that routinizing my life is the only way i'll have a chance at success.
I've avoided routines because i felt they were unnaturally constraining but i think i was wrong.

every time i try living with flexibility, keeping my goals in mind, my important to do's, and "go with the flow", i end up being lazy and complacent.
Inevitably i circle back to considering routines again, which made me wonder that since i naturally circle back to routines, maybe routines are a natural thing.

I thought about routines burning me out and losing willpower, but i think i found a great middle ground, which is routinizing only part of the day, and leaving the rest of it as a wildcard.

WEEKDAYS
wake up no later than 2:30 AM, meditate yoga workout for about 2.5 hours till 5am. work on apps around 2.5 hours till 730am, prepare and eat my one daily meal and relax until 9:30am, go to work 10AM to 6PM, get home and cardio till full body sweat and cold shower, some relaxing yoga stuff before bed at no later than 730pm to 830pm(depends on subway and work).

But on weekends i can do the same exact routine in the morning and enjoy the rest of the day as i please.
I'll never stay out late on weekdays but if it ever happens on days off, then whenever i wake up ill still do the same routine, it'll just be less free time today since i effectively sacrificed it to yesterday.

So sticking to this routine guarantees at least around 2.5 hours a day for my business 7 days a week. If i got some momentum going i can always continue working on business on weekends after i eat and relax for a bit.

I understand and appreciate your points. Your day seems very rigid and could become boring?

Also, why do you take weekends off? As Warren Buffet says when everyone is selling buy and when buying sell. Why not take 2 hours off each day for leisure ( your weekend time ) so that is 14 hours over a week and work 7 days? ( It sounds like you enjoy leisure time or weekends? )

2.30am is a very early start but you are using that for self improvement time so no harm. As an entrepeneur one thing I try to do is build my day on a daily basis. It is mainly driven around what titmes are the best times to do things. Scheduling of emails and Social Media Posts has made this easier. Also, what happens if my daughter has a school play. Or I want a game of golf?

I try to run a discuplined, tactical but flexible day. Takes me about 10 minutes before bed and 10 minutes when I wake up after assesing the nights changes. Plus sometimes I think diifferently at night compared to the morning. Then that timely list is ready to roll - the list is still flexible but I try not to go off track and get all things done. If not asses why they weren't.

Then assess productivity, revenue, family and enjoyment for the day and build from there.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
This last weekend I've learned how powerful your morning routine is, if you mess up your morning, the entire day could be ruined.

Having a to-do list and then prioritizing your most important task is a must too if you want to be successful.

I made a few mistakes this morning which had an impact on my productivity the whole day, you learn and adjust. I think of it as playing a chess game and then going back to see what inaccuracies and blunders you made.

yea man, I messed up the morning countless times by simply not waking up on time after sleeping for 10+ hours and being lazy in bed. It makes you throw in the towel for that day already...
a strong morning is very powerful if u wake up super early because by the time the sun comes up u already won!

No

But everyone is different.

I feel you. I think we all follow some kind of similar day to day flow. My laziness though forces my hand to actively put effort into my schedule.

I have one but I have not perfected it because there are times where I don't really feel like waking up at 5am or doing something at that specific time. I hope I get into a better habit of things.

Personally I feel that's not much sleep with working out twice a day and having a full work day... but maybe that's just me.

yea getting into the habit is tough, ive tried to do the routine in the past and gave up several times, but the few times I did wake up at the right time and did the work, it was amazing and I felt very good about myself.
Regarding sleep maybe its true, I considered alternating the morning activity between health stuff and business stuff, or just doing less workout so its 1.5 hours instead of 2.5, id get an extra hour of sleep.
That's where the flexibility is, but I do believe its good to get the hardest shit done upon waking up. Its called swallowing the frog. The rest of the day seems easy in comparison.

Good subject. I share your feeling regarding routines; having seen yours, I assume you aren't married :cool:

im wooing the Fastlane for now.

I understand and appreciate your points. Your day seems very rigid and could become boring?

Also, why do you take weekends off? As Warren Buffet says when everyone is selling buy and when buying sell. Why not take 2 hours off each day for leisure ( your weekend time ) so that is 14 hours over a week and work 7 days? ( It sounds like you enjoy leisure time or weekends? )

2.30am is a very early start but you are using that for self improvement time so no harm. As an entrepeneur one thing I try to do is build my day on a daily basis. It is mainly driven around what titmes are the best times to do things. Scheduling of emails and Social Media Posts has made this easier. Also, what happens if my daughter has a school play. Or I want a game of golf?

I try to run a discuplined, tactical but flexible day. Takes me about 10 minutes before bed and 10 minutes when I wake up after assesing the nights changes. Plus sometimes I think diifferently at night compared to the morning. Then that timely list is ready to roll - the list is still flexible but I try not to go off track and get all things done. If not asses why they weren't.

Then assess productivity, revenue, family and enjoyment for the day and build from there.

not sure what you mean, on weekends after eating I can do whatever I want including working on business further if im feeling the mood for it.
I think its important to set time blocks because it gives a sense of micro goal accomplishment. I can never finish an app in one session but if I say ill put in 2.5 hours into it then I have a real target to hit.

my long term goal of course is to make enough money to quit my job, and then I can do the "weekend" routine every day. this is good because I just know that if I don't do this and I made big money, I might really get lazy and stop hustling.
I get insanely lazy when it comes to things im not passionate about. If there's no excitement than it takes a shit ton of willpower to do it, and it really drains me.
It's been my greatest obstacle, but I think if I stick to fixed time blocks daily, and mentally acknowledge that I can enjoy leisure after the morning routine and my meal, Ill maintain my health and energy and won't burn out.

Boo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 6, 2018
Scheduling and routine is everything. But the number one mistake that people make is creating a routine that they don't want to do and therefore can't stick to. I create a routine that I actually like, rather than writing a schedule which makes me uncomfortable. Truthfully, I've fallen off my routine heavily lately due to some personal demands requiring that I stay up until 4am or later some nights. But the point remains.

Typically I would wake around 7am or 8am and do something that I enjoy, whether it's hiking, lifting weights or getting coffee with my wife. It makes me want to get up. Similarly, in the evening I follow a similar routine which involves a drink or two and spending some quality time with my family.

If you don't have a routine, how can you expect to achieve what you want? People only have so much discipline and brainpower, make your life easier by using the schedule/routine to dictate your movements but ensure that you schedule in things that you want to do as well.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
yea man, I messed up the morning countless times by simply not waking up on time after sleeping for 10+ hours and being lazy in bed. It makes you throw in the towel for that day already...
a strong morning is very powerful if u wake up super early because by the time the sun comes up u already won.
Yeah, it's all about habit, you don't try to change too much at once, you make micro-adjustments that don't require willpower.

This saturday I started the day checking my phone, I no longer check my phone untill after breakfast.

Tomorrow I plan to introduce an hour of reading upon waking up, currently reading unscripted and then get up.

After eating breakfast I'll do my most important task for the day which is usually making progress on my business for an hour or two(I'll increase hours as things start picking up).

So that's my plan, aslong as I get 8 hours sleep per night I can wake up without an alarm clock.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Scheduling and routine is everything. But the number one mistake that people make is creating a routine that they don't want to do and therefore can't stick to. I create a routine that I actually like, rather than writing a schedule which makes me uncomfortable. Truthfully, I've fallen off my routine heavily lately due to some personal demands requiring that I stay up until 4am or later some nights. But the point remains.

Typically I would wake around 7am or 8am and do something that I enjoy, whether it's hiking, lifting weights or getting coffee with my wife. It makes me want to get up. Similarly, in the evening I follow a similar routine which involves a drink or two and spending some quality time with my family.

If you don't have a routine, how can you expect to achieve what you want? People only have so much discipline and brainpower, make your life easier by using the schedule/routine to dictate your movements but ensure that you schedule in things that you want to do as well.

I do wanna do it, I wanna take care of my health every day and work a little on getting or preserving financial freedom every day, and I wanna have the time to enjoy leisure every day.

I tried starting my day with something I enjoy and I still failed. Turns out that when im in bed, nothing is better than staying in bed. Getting out of bed will be my first willpower test cause once I start my workout process its all smooth from there. The second willpower test is starting my app work, this one is even more difficult but if I crystalize the 2.5 hour time limit in my mind I know I can do it.

And then I can relax with food and Netflix as a reward for starting the day epicly and actually making life progress.

Yeah, it's all about habit, you don't try to change too much at once, you make micro-adjustments that don't require willpower.

This saturday I started the day checking my phone, I no longer check my phone untill after breakfast.

Tomorrow I plan to introduce an hour of reading upon waking up, currently reading unscripted and then get up.

After eating breakfast I'll do my most important task for the day which is usually making progress on my business for an hour or two(I'll increase hours as things start picking up).

So that's my plan, aslong as I get 8 hours sleep per night I can wake up without an alarm clock.

I've been doing micro adjustments for years, all my workout and healthy habits have been years in the making, and ive been app developing for years too now.

Combining them all into one consistent daily routine has been my holy grail.
I don't see how I won't make insane progress in my life even 60 days from now.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
I do wanna do it, I wanna take care of my health every day and work a little on getting or preserving financial freedom every day, and I wanna have the time to enjoy leisure every day.

I tried starting my day with something I enjoy and I still failed. Turns out that when im in bed, nothing is better than staying in bed. Getting out of bed will be my first willpower test cause once I start my workout process its all smooth from there. The second willpower test is starting my app work, this one is even more difficult but if I crystalize the 2.5 hour time limit in my mind I know I can do it.

And then I can relax with food and Netflix as a reward for starting the day epicly and actually making life progress.

I've been doing micro adjustments for years, all my workout and healthy habits have been years in the making, and ive been app developing for years too now.

Combining them all into one consistent daily routine has been my holy grail.
I don't see how I won't make insane progress in my life even 60 days from now.
That's awesome, reminds me of a quote that said "we don't decide our future, we decide our habits and our habits decide our future".

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
block out my week on the calendar centered around what i want to accomplish (not necessarily what i need to do). big blocks of time. i free flow them within a given day if needed .....

some blocks i post as 'office hours' for my staff to know when they can come for help or count on me to be able to work on a particular project......

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
got routines for breakfast, working out, and meeting up with friends.......
if i have something particular i need to focus on, i have a routine of coffee/door closing/words/closing the F*cking email feed/etc. to get me in the right mindset

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
got routines for breakfast, working out, and meeting up with friends.......
if i have something particular i need to focus on, i have a routine of coffee/door closing/words/closing the f*cking email feed/etc. to get me in the right mindset
sounds elaborate man

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
If it produces results...... :)

Tanu1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 4, 2018

WEEKDAYS

Very motivational.

U wake up at 2:30 am?

I generally follow routine and I enjoy working like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Very motivational.

U wake up at 2:30 am?

I generally follow routine and I enjoy working like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to because my job starts 10AM so i wanna get my day's work done before that and have time to prepare breakfast as well.
I can do 4-5AM but then ill have to buy food at work. Or i can eat dinner at home but then ill be digesting for hours and can't wake up at 2:30AM.

On weekends it doesn't matter, I can do my 5 hour routine at any time i wake up since i dont have work.

I think the most important point is WORK before LEISURE. get the work done first, and enjoy the rest of the day.

Tanu1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 4, 2018
I try to because my job starts 10AM so i wanna get my day's work done before that and have time to prepare breakfast as well.
I can do 4-5AM but then ill have to buy food at work. Or i can eat dinner at home but then ill be digesting for hours and can't wake up at 2:30AM.

On weekends it doesn't matter, I can do my 5 hour routine at any time i wake up since i dont have work.

I think the most important point is WORK before LEISURE. get the work done first, and enjoy the rest of the day.
After reading this, I feel that I am very lazy. Lol..
:smile:
But your dedication to work is inspirational. :thumbsup::clap:::clap::

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Yes. I work from home and even if you work from home and can work anytime, you should still have a routine. You'll get so much more done if you having you day laid out each morning.
Wake up, make bed, get dressed-- around 6am
Start work (I have international clients so I like to be able to get back to them early if something looks urgent).
Breakfast is around 9
Work until 11 to 12
Go to court (I have to leave everyday which is great because if I didn't, I might turn into a hermit). I then do any errands I need to do when I am out. I usually go to my local juice bar downtown for a juice or an acai bowl for lunch.
Go back home and finish my US work that needs to be done by 5 EST.
5pm-- Gym time
Come back home around 6:30. Shower, have dinner and then go back to work until about 9.

On days I don't go to the gym, I eat dinner at my desk. I just take a mini break between my US work and my international work around 5pm.
Bed around 10pm

Such an exciting life for being 26- am I right? Lol

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
After reading this, I feel that I am very lazy. Lol..
:smile:
But your dedication to work is inspirational. :thumbsup::clap:::clap::

thanks and good luck to you as well.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads