The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do miracles really exists?

D

Deleted68316

I am reading Autobiography of a Yogi.

I'd love to get some feedback about the book.

The author talks about miracles all throughout the book.

It sounds like a scam to me. I get offended, irritated, while listening to it.

I have posted something in another thread talking about the Self Realization Center that this guy founded in LA.

I have been there and the guided meditation (free) I have participated in once has been one of the most powerful experiences I have ever had.

At the same time, I cannot believe these miracles he talks about in the book.

I would love to believe in them because life would be much better.

What do you think about it?

We are talking about things that science cannot explain.

PS
My wish is that once I accept the book, I will be able to perform miracles as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bruno Calisso

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 26, 2019
Portugal

I have posted something in another thread talking about the Self Realization Center that this guy founded in LA.

I have been there and the guided meditation (free) I have participated in once has been one of the most powerful experiences I have ever had.

PS
My wish is that once I accept the book, I will be able to perform miracles as well.
Good luck with that brother.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I heard good things about this book (the spiritual teachings) but when he started talking about "miracles" I stopped reading it. You can probably separate BS from what's useful but I'd rather read a modern author who can give spiritual teachings while respecting the laws of science (for example, Michael A. Singer).

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

PS
What kind of miracles?

TheKingOfMadrid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Dec 14, 2020
Large swaths of the community you describe are definitely scam artists. The clever thing they do as with all hustlers is they hook you so you're always in their circle even if you don't fully trust them - trying to figure out if they're legit and your FOMO will ensure you always come back in case you might learn the miracle power to attain everything you always wanted.

In my view too many people focus on this before they get rich. Get yourself rich first and then you can spend your time chasing Yogis to see if their Kriya Yoga will allow you to find inner peace and enlightenment.

A lot of people do this with exported Buddhism too - if only I can unlock my level 50 Bankei level Zen then I'll be the next Elon Musk. It's what happens when you prefer to find a silver bullet rather than learning to grind.

If you don't care about materialism, invention, fame then that's one thing but don't get caught straddling between 'get rich' and 'abandon materialism and ego', at least without a decent spiritual guide.

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga

PS
Yes. Life is a miracle. Existence is a miracle.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Miracles exist. Supernatural phenomenons also exist. Miracles happen because of faith. Faith is the Good Side. Magic is the Naughty Side.

Miracles are things that happen outside of nature because God intervened for men on their behalf. A fourteen year old French peasant girl should NEVER have been able to save an entire country by calling everyone to war, yet that’s exactly what happened. Joan of Arc is a miracle.

Magic is when ppl want to interrupt Nature and make stuff happen for their own reasons. Monsanto creating seeds that don’t reproduce and making billions while farmers kill themselves is bad magic.

Nature has specific rules like gravity, cause and effect, plate tectonics, muscle growth, etc.

You cannot manipulate reality to force things to happen in an untimely way, outside of Nature’s rules, unless you practice some powerful Magic.

Magic is the art of manipulating nature to do stuff that it’s not supposed to do. Faith is believing that if you work within the laws of Nature God might rearrange things a bit to help you more.

It’s perfectly ok to wish that you could use magic to change your world. We all want an easier way.. life is hard. Suffering sucks. Using magic ruins your soul though because your pride twists you into a mess.

It’s better to obey the rules of the Universe instead of trying to manipulate them. By just admitting that there are rules and respecting them you will respect yourself more and help others more and be filled with love.

The book sounds like it’s mingling one truth (you have a soul and you are powerfully connected to the Universe) with a lie (you can manipulate the Universe whenever you want if you do certain things).

D

Deleted68316

What kind of miracles?
People dying and then reappearing under another person. And the guy meets that new person because he felt him with his energy. He knew that person that die was alive again under another form.

People that make appear smells of flowers from nowhere.

Being in two different spots at the same time.

Probably also levitation if I well remember.

I mean, the book is just a list of things that science cannot explain.

It’s about the power of the mind when it’s connect with God.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
People dying and then reappearing under another person. And the guy meets that new person because he felt him with his energy. He knew that person that die was alive again under another form.

People that make appear smells of flowers from nowhere.

Being in two different spots at the same time.

Probably also levitation if I well remember.

I mean, the book is just a list of things that science cannot explain.

It’s about the power of the mind when it’s connect with God.

Consider when and where it was written and what times it talks about. India in the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s probably wasn't a particularly skeptical place compared to modern times. So if the wisest guy in the village said that someone who died is now this another person, the less intelligent villages with zero education would probably believe him. This isn't any different from this guy:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppWMxCdb_cI

Who believes in this guy? Desperate, sick and poor people with no access to education.

"Fun" fact about the book:

One of the most famous advocates of the book was Steve Jobs, the co-founder, and formerly Chairman and CEO of Apple Inc. Jobs "first read Autobiography of a Yogi as a teenager, then re-read [the book] . . . once a year ever since."[24] Marc Benioff, CEO of Salesforce.com, told his story of attending Steve Jobs' memorial service, where the attendees were handed a small brown box on their way out. "This is going to be good," he thought. "I knew that this was a decision he made, and whatever it was, it was the last thing he wanted us all to think about." The box contained a copy of the book.

I'm not saying the book has no value. It may have great spiritual teachings. But it doesn't change the fact that most of it is complete BS.

As I mentioned before, I didn't bother reading the entire book but I don't think I missed much except maybe entertainment value (found this on Quora):

• The chapter on Sri Yukteswar’s resurrection contains some things which are completely batshit crazy. Firstly, the way that he is described does not make it entirely clear whether this is a delusion or hallucination (pg 475). Sri Yukteswar apparently now lives on a different planet called Haranyaloka (pg 476). He even seems to suggest that mermaids and fairies are real things (pg 479). It seems that, for Yogananda, there is no clear distinction between real things and fake things. No distinction between hallucination and perception; delusion and observation.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Miracles? Read @SteveO s post about his journey.

We all have the ability to work miracles man. That's what this whole forum is about.

Look around you here. Read the stories. Read the Gold posts. Miracles are happening every day. You don't need some badge for the 5th level of ReikiBuddhaZenTaoYogi master session chakra. You have the tools already.

Just do something for someone else and let that light shine. That's how it works. It starts small and becomes enormous if you feed it the right food.

It's the miracle of translating your inner vision into reality.
That shit is powerful.

Last edited:

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
[obligatory ICP link]

I know the book well and I've met long-time practitioners, it is definitely bullshit, as is Kriya yoga and the religious organization around it. I'm not saying you won't experience benefits doing Kriya yoga, any attempt at meditation is beneficial, but you're not going to "burn up all your karma" (what they claim happens) or get enlightened.

I'm open-minded that a high level of concentration skill could lead to abilities like mind reading, but I'd guess it's not like how we popularly imagine it.

Those powers, if they exist, are a distraction and not a worthy goal in themselves.

@claudek if you want to read a much more useful and legit book that does talk a bit about these powers, I highly recommend: Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha by Daniel Ingram, you can also read it for free on the MCTB website.

It's like The Millionaire Fastlane for meditation.

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
Large swaths of the community you describe are definitely scam artists. The clever thing they do as with all hustlers is they hook you so you're always in their circle even if you don't fully trust them - trying to figure out if they're legit and your FOMO will ensure you always come back in case you might learn the miracle power to attain everything you always wanted.

In my view too many people focus on this before they get rich. Get yourself rich first and then you can spend your time chasing Yogis to see if their Kriya Yoga will allow you to find inner peace and enlightenment.

A lot of people do this with exported Buddhism too - if only I can unlock my level 50 Bankei level Zen then I'll be the next Elon Musk. It's what happens when you prefer to find a silver bullet rather than learning to grind.

If you don't care about materialism, invention, fame then that's one thing but don't get caught straddling between 'get rich' and 'abandon materialism and ego', at least without a decent spiritual guide.
Being "spiritual" as a step towards material success definitely seems like an ineffective route.

For many people, spiritual growth is necessary success, but it's not fake new age spirituality, it's the kind of courage and mindset shifts that are talked about on this forum everyday.

And being broke is not spiritual. Unless you're a monk, there is nothing spiritual about being lazy, ineffective, unproductive and poor.

Consider when and where it was written and what times it talks about. India in the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s probably wasn't a particularly skeptical place compared to modern times. So if the wisest guy in the village said that someone who died is now this another person, the less intelligent villages with zero education would probably believe him. This isn't any different from this guy:

Who believes in this guy? Desperate, sick and poor people with no access to education.

I'm not saying the book has no value. It may have great spiritual teachings. But it doesn't change the fact that most of it is complete BS.

As I mentioned before, I didn't bother reading the entire book but I don't think I missed much except maybe entertainment value (found this on Quora):
Exactly. If you just talk with enough ayahuasca-doing new age hippies you quickly get tired of all of this psuedo-spiritual bullshit. People just like it because they are lazy and this kind of spirituality promises "This one dumb trick unlocks total enlightenment and fulfillment of all of your desires!"

Last edited:
D

Deleted68316

I totally agree with you.

However, the author of the book doesn't sell you anything. He doesn't tell you to buy his course for 3k and you will be able to perform miracles.

The majority of miracles in the book are performed by someone different from him.

Also, based on the experience I had at the Self Realization Center he founded, I know there is something true in what he says. I am not talking about miracles, but a different way to see reality.

D

Deleted68316

This is a mistake in my point of view.

I don't know if you read the book. So be careful about what you read on Quora.

It's like reading a sentence said by a politician or athlete and then manipulate the meaning (as they do in the news).

In the story you mentioned from Quora, a guru friend of the author died.

The author was in great pain.

Then, one day, in a kind of lucid dream (call it a miracle if you want or a hallucination) the dead guy appeared to the author. He shared with him that he was now living on a faraway planet...and the story goes on.

As you see, it's just a way to deal with pain. If the author was from western culture, he would have probably gone running for 90 miles.

PS
Thanks for bringing this topic up man.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX

hahahahaha level 50 Bankai zen I'm F*cking dying XD

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX

PS
I sort of walk the line on miracles. I believe that the average person's common understanding of miracles starts and ends with it being something that is outside the laws of physics and looks like magic. However, I don't believe that something that breaks the laws of the universe can exist in the said universe for many reasons.

Though that being said I have seen things that have synchronistically happened that just don't seem like they could happen on their own though. Nothing about these events would break the laws of physics however just them occurring seemed like it was more probable than random chance. In addition, as sheepish as I am to admit, I and people I know have seen future premonitions, remote viewing events, and ghost sightings that have simply flabbergasted us to the point where I am convinced that all three do indeed exist.

fearo

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Oct 7, 2019

PS
Hi,

Yeah it's a scam.
Religion is basically a scam which sells you to dream and all you have to have is "blind faith".
There is no such thing as a "miracle". just an, as yet, unexplained phenomenon.
Stop looking in the mystical for answers.
But if you want to delude yourself then you are free to however I think reality is far amazing.
The answers you see are in you.
Enjoy the world as it it.
Be kind to your fellow human beings.
Enjoy your time on this earth.
Try to make a difference before you disappear back into the dirt & memories of the people around you.

Momento mori.

Eddie

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma

That video is just like the experience Fletch went through.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMSpFkvPOAM

CruxisKnight

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Jan 7, 2021
Hi,

Yeah it's a scam.
Religion is basically a scam which sells you to dream and all you have to have is "blind faith".
There is no such thing as a "miracle". just an, as yet, unexplained phenomenon.
Stop looking in the mystical for answers.
But if you want to delude yourself then you are free to however I think reality is far amazing.
The answers you see are in you.
Enjoy the world as it it.
Be kind to your fellow human beings.
Enjoy your time on this earth.
Try to make a difference before you disappear back into the dirt & memories of the people around you.

Momento mori.

Eddie
I don't think religion is a scam necessarily. There are wolves in sheep's clothing for sure, where they act goody good to get people's trust and have ulterior motives. But in its fundamental at the very least religion and spirituality in general is great for improving people's behavior. If people don't have something they believe in as a moral guide then there would be more criminals in the world.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I sort of walk the line on miracles. I believe that the average person's common understanding of miracles starts and ends with it being something that is outside the laws of physics and looks like magic. However, I don't believe that something that breaks the laws of the universe can exist in the said universe for many reasons.

I agree with this as long we aren't saying the laws of physics and the laws of the universe are the same thing.

This is in keeping with this quote from St. Augustine, "Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature."

The laws of physics get broken often enough. Often by physicists looking to gain a deeper understanding of the laws of the universe. It's really cool stuff.

Does dark matter exist or are we just fooling ourselves? Is quantum teleportation travelling information faster than the speed of light? Does time actually become distance inside a black hole? Giant particles really exist in the two places at once?

Why do the two biggest theories in physics, both of which have made verifiable predictions many times over, not seem to agree on the basic question of whether the universe is deterministic or probabilistic?

To suggest it is both is illogical. And yet, here we are. To the best of anyone's ability, both appear true at the same time.

It's a superposition of theories. (Superposition is a much nicer, more "sciencey" way of saying illogical).

Is something that breaks the laws of logic, but is also true, considered a miracle? Asking for a friend...

There's a reason why new agey types feel bolstered by quantum discoveries. Dig into it and science had gotten way way more weird than some guy saying his friend visited him in a dream and lives on another planet. People have been having similarly familiar "dreams" for millennia.

And you know, what if the mystical is inherently a personal communication such that it cannot be experienced the same way by two people? Shoot, light is a particle and a wave, or not, depending on how we're watching, so it's not like there isn't precedent. What if it also is just governed by rules that we don't fully understand yet?

Not only do we humans have a limited capacity to measure, to understand, but we are trapped by our own biases and beliefs on top of that.

Science is weird and can't reveal everything, yet. Religion is weird and can't reveal everything, yet.

Truth is elusive.

Yet so many act like they have the monopoly. It's a conundrum. Socrates was right.

You are; therefore you think; both of these statements are miraculous.

As a Christian, I think the existence of miracles is self evident. We have this thing called life. Consciousness. No one can explain how it happens to everyone's satisfaction, but it is so ubiquitous the science types just take for granted that it must not be a miracle.

I am saddened to imagine a world where everything can be explained by man's understanding of science. What a dull and finite place that would be.

Just the fact that the laws of physics or the universe exist seems pretty miraculous to me.

I'll close with a couple more Augustinisms:

"What then is time? If no one asks me, I know what it is. If I wish to explain it to him who asks, I do not know."

"Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe."

"Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you."

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.