The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do I Have To Sacrifice My Close Family Relationships?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

PersianCub

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 28, 2018
Atlanta
Wuh? Yes starting a business is HARD, but you don't need to cut out everything else in life.

Yes, things GO UNBLANCED, but you still can live and enjoy life.

When I was starting, it was WORK, GYM, FRIENDS (had very few since I was in a new city) and SLEEP.

Where are you getting this idea that you have to ditch your family if you start a business?

My mindset was if I can cut out most "luxuries", then I can focus on the most important. I know I am one to go extreme with things, and I obviously lost my sense when I began to contemplate "family" in that mix.

I think I overindulged in the videos/books of startup founders, where they talk about how much they had to sacrifice to build their start up and how they just lived/breathed their businesses for years.

I guess I'm trying to implement this idea of "sacrifice for the short term, so you can enjoy in the long term"

but yea everyone on here is spot on, I shouldn't even be considering this as an option.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GabrielDC

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 26, 2016
I stopped talking to my toxic family members 2 years ago...
No alcohol, no cigarettes, no partying no nothing, just 'executing'.
My life has improved a lot, and I will never go back..
The more you sacrifice, the more you earn I think.
Even though , I am not sure yet.

PersianCub

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 28, 2018
Atlanta
I stopped talking to my toxic family members 2 years ago...
No alcohol, no cigarettes, no partying no nothing, just 'executing'.
My life has improved a lot, and I will never go back..
The more you sacrifice, the more you earn I think.
Even though , I am not sure yet.
That was my thinking too. For me family isn’t toxic, just a bit dysfunctional. Nothing some work can’t mend.

Do you see any future relationship between you and family?

GabrielDC

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 26, 2016
That was my thinking too. For me family isn’t toxic, just a bit dysfunctional. Nothing some work can’t mend.

Do you see any future relationship between you and family?

No, but my situation is, well, complicated.

When you are too different from your family, there is no reason to pretend that you like them, or their thinking, just because they are your family.
There is no logical reason for an human being to stay close to somebody they don't like.
Maybe only for survival, but that was not my case.

PersianCub

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 28, 2018
Atlanta
No, but my situation is, well, complicated.

When you are too different from your family, there is no reason to pretend that you like them, or their thinking, just because they are your family.
There is no logical reason for an human being to stay close to somebody they don't like.
Maybe only for survival, but that was not my case.
Yep, I understand.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
completely cut out girls
clint_ew.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

PersianCub

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 28, 2018
Atlanta

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
My mindset was if I can cut out most "luxuries", then I can focus on the most important. I know I am one to go extreme with things, and I obviously lost my sense when I began to contemplate "family" in that mix.

I think I overindulged in the videos/books of startup founders, where they talk about how much they had to sacrifice to build their start up and how they just lived/breathed their businesses for years.

I guess I'm trying to implement this idea of "sacrifice for the short term, so you can enjoy in the long term"

but yea everyone on here is spot on, I shouldn't even be considering this as an option.

I wonder what's the point in removing one of the pillars of happiness, which is family, to get another one, which is financial wealth. Building a business is hard work, not going into self-imposed misery.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Nope.

During my journey thus far, I've gotten married, cut out a few family members, had lots of successes and a ton of failures. Without fail, I spend time with my wife, work a full time job, AND completely crush it in my business every day.

Yep, as an entrepreneur I drive 3 1/2 hours each month to go see my family. I hang out with my wife and I even watch Netflix occasionally. There's nothing wrong with having fun as long as you make progress each and every day. One day all of that execution adds up. I've had issues with being "ON" all the time and it was detrimental to my health. Learn to turn OFF every once and a while.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I'd just like to point out that there is a difference between 'social life' and family relationships. No one who is your friend or a decent mentor would ask you to give up the latter, and I'm none too sure that giving up the former for 2-3 years is particularly healthy, either.

You have 168 hours every week. Using 56 of them for sleep, 40 of them for a day job, 2-4 per day for everything else (eating, hygiene, commute, your family, etc.), still leaves you more than 40 - another full-time job's worth - to create entrepreneurial success. Use them correctly and you can have it all.

Extremes are the luxury of youth. Take it from someone old enough to be your grandma, there is indeed such a thing as work/life balance, even for millionaires. Being retired isn't all it's cracked up to be, by the way. Playing all the time would be pretty boring.

PersianCub

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 28, 2018
Atlanta
I'd just like to point out that there is a difference between 'social life' and family relationships. No one who is your friend or a decent mentor would ask you to give up the latter, and I'm none too sure that giving up the former for 2-3 years is particularly healthy, either.

You have 168 hours every week. Using 56 of them for sleep, 40 of them for a day job, 2-4 per day for everything else (eating, hygiene, commute, your family, etc.), still leaves you more than 40 - another full-time job's worth - to create entrepreneurial success. Use them correctly and you can have it all.

Extremes are the luxury of youth. Take it from someone old enough to be your grandma, there is indeed such a thing as work/life balance, even for millionaires. Being retired isn't all it's cracked up to be, by the way. Playing all the time would be pretty boring.
Appreciate the words... agreed.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.