The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Determining the Size of Your Market

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
Does anyone here know either A: Have knowledge or experience finding this out or B: know of a product that touches on this subject and maybe gives an explanation on how to uncover an estimate?

What I mean by 'Market Size' is the number of people who would be most likely to want my product within a given period of time.

I'm building a web application right now that I'd like to begin planning properly for. I've already got my personal wealth goals set, and now I'm trying to get a best-case worst-case possible scenario of what my potential market looks like.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
First of all: do you even have a market?

Worst case scenario is ALWAYS that you get 0 customers and you have to chuck it. So, do you have one customer? If not, get one.

As far as determining the size of your market, Google Adwords tools plus industry related statistics can be a helpful guide. But I wouldn't look at these until you have a customer.

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Great article Joona thanks for the link.

it pretty much covers what I do, that is:
1. Set up basic sales page for your web app (I just use weebly) with a sign-up/purchase/free trial form
2. Drive traffic there by purchasing google/bing ads
3. Observe your impressions vs clicks vs conversion rates

$400 or so of ads should give you an idea of demand. Any sign-ups are hot leads for when the app is finally live.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
The -J:

Yea I definitely have a market since my revenue stream will come primarily from selling bodybuilding supplements.

Bodybuilding.com sold like $46M worth of bodybuilding supplements in 2005 according to privco.com Bodybuilding.com, LLC | Private Company Financial Research | PrivCo.com

The app it's self is going to be free. It's simply a means of getting people exposed to my affiliate store of supplements. If this proves successful I'll move on to setting it up like an e-commerce store instead of just having affiliate links.

Of course, the app needs to prove its self first before any of that.

I'm about 25% done with the app. As far as the app is concerned, I'm my own market. I'm building what I wish existed for me. Plus, I know there are lots of people out there who are like me. My question is finding out roughly *how many* people are out there like me. That's some of my logic and plan, anyway.

OzGinder & Joona:

Thanks for the article. I've seen that once before and I think it's genius.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.