The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Defining The Levels of Progression

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Are these the two incremental steps where you really started stepping out of doing it all yourself, or by directly supervising someone, and focusing on strategic vision? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

I hired my first employee when I was doing about $100k/yr I think.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't democratize decisions. It is a poor decision making method. Especially something like a date with a bunch of people that may or may not even be interested in showing up, you have a mess that never happens.

I intentionally did not ask the opinions of others. "I will be in Erie PA on the 15th. Show up or not."

This is how I do it. Else it will never work. The people who want to be there will show up on any date that you pick. The wishy washy ones will ask for date and then make an excuse as to why they can't make it.

Just decide that you are going, and it doesn't matter if nobody else comes. Once I started just telling people that this was the date and time, people would show up because they realized it was happening, they had FOMO and they didn't have a choice. Be there or miss it. No second chances.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
What do you mean here? You forget it?

No I don’t forget my ideas. It’s more like.. my goals are so incredibly specific that to accomplish them I would have to become an entirely different person. And I fail to see how to change or I lose my desire to change that much because it feels overwhelming so then I end up slipping back into old habits.

Take the leadership train of thought.

I have had the privilege to be a help or friend to many leaders. I see how hard they work. I respect them immensely. But.. I don’t think I’d ever want to be like them. They’re vulnerable to the masses and responsible to a lot more than I feel capable of. So I have this movie ending in my head but getting through the movie is really fuzzy.

In a very helpful pm just now, someone mentioned that I need to get in the habit of doing the best that I can with what I’ve got right now and not spend ANY time worrying about what I will have in the future. Because, if I exercise my willpower and my intellect on the small hill in front of me now and I do that well, then I am training myself for the mountain to come.

I really haven’t been applying that. I try so hard to “see” the mountain that I do. I have clarity but it’s just.. It’s Everest. And I am terrified of heights. Lol. If I spent my time focusing on this hill, in this place, I would be serving my dreams more effectively.

There’s a reason I put this thread in the mindset category. Thank you for asking the question. It gave me time to reflect.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
What do you mean here? You forget it?
I read a book "The Path Less Stupid" that had a ton of useful stuff in it. One of the questions he asked the reader was, 'What are you not doing that you know you should be doing, but you're not doing it because its outside your comfort zone?'

I think that lack of clarity comes from a lack of belief in yourself. At least that's what it is in my case.

My process is:

1) Get clarity
2) Don't do enough of the actions that clarity suggests
3) forget about the original clarity, and get mired in the mud again.
4) repeat.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
No I don’t forget my ideas. It’s more like.. my goals are so incredibly specific that to accomplish them I would have to become an entirely different person. And I fail to see how to change or I lose my desire to change that much because it feels overwhelming so then I end up slipping back into old habits.

Take the leadership train of thought.

I have had the privilege to be a help or friend to many leaders. I see how hard they work. I respect them immensely. But.. I don’t think I’d ever want to be like them. They’re vulnerable to the masses and responsible to a lot more than I feel capable of. So I have this movie ending in my head but getting through the movie is really fuzzy.

In a very helpful pm just now, someone mentioned that I need to get in the habit of doing the best that I can with what I’ve got right now and not spend ANY time worrying about what I will have in the future. Because, if I exercise my willpower and my intellect on the small hill in front of me now and I do that well, then I am training myself for the mountain to come.

I really haven’t been applying that. I try so hard to “see” the mountain that I do. I have clarity but it’s just.. It’s Everest. And I am terrified of heights. Lol. If I spent my time focusing on this hill, in this place, I would be serving my dreams more effectively.

There’s a reason I put this thread in the mindset category. Thank you for asking the question. It gave me time to reflect.
Its funny cause I was responding just as you posted this. I guessed almost exactly what you said here. I can relate.

Business ownership / entrepreneurship is an emotional and intellectual journey.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I read a book "The Path Less Stupid" that had a ton of useful stuff in it. One of the questions he asked the reader was, 'What are you not doing that you know you should be doing, but you're not doing it because its outside your comfort zone?'

I think that lack of clarity comes from a lack of belief in yourself. At least that's what it is in my case.

My process is:

1) Get clarity
2) Don't do enough of the actions that clarity suggests
3) forget about the original clarity, and get mired in the mud again.
4) repeat.

I was really hoping you’d chime in. You’re one of the ppl I think is doing a hell of a lot better than you realize. I think you might need to spend time hacking emotional stuff so you can be more efficient at climbing out of the mud. I could be wrong. Imma write a thread about that tonight.

(I have been challenged to write every day for 100 days so.. I’ve been thinking about what I can write about a lot.)

Part of the reason I need to write it is so I can teach myself and get better at it, too.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I was really hoping you’d chime in. You’re one of the ppl I think is doing a hell of a lot better than you realize. I think you might need to spend time hacking emotional stuff so you can be more efficient at climbing out of the mud. I could be wrong. Imma write a thread about that tonight.

(I have been challenged to write every day for 100 days so.. I’ve been thinking about what I can write about a lot.)

Part of the reason I need to write it is so I can teach myself and get better at it, too.
Its funny...you're now the third person this week to tell me that. Maybe I should start listening? Naw <goes and rolls around in the mud of self doubt again.>

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I don't know if this will help at all, but some thoughts I had.

The stage I'm in now is the hardest stage so far (maybe all the stages are as you progress up the ladder?).

As a "small business operator" (to steal a line from, I believe, @Kung Fu Steve), my business has essentially been built on my experience and expertise. Clients still know that when they signup with me, they're getting me, my knowledge, and my time. You can see the issue here, right?

I've been working over the last year to pass tasks off to an employee - and I've been mildly successful, but there is still a deep thought that I can't take myself out of the process. Clients expect "me" so how do I take myself out? How do I move from Business Operator > Business Owner?

With a physical-goods business, it seems relatively easy. The end customer is buying a product, not knowledge or service. They probably don't really care who the person is in between.
Branding and company image are, of course, important - but they aren't generally tied to one person.

Theoretically, I need to move personal knowledge to enterprise knowledge. Create the systems and knowledge-base so any of my employees have access to the same information that is stuck in my head. I can then sell clients on the "firm's" expertise instead of "my" expertise. Heck, maybe clients would feel better knowing there is a team, and not just two people?
Once I do, growth should be much less painful.

But it's a big step.

It involves not just creating a knowledge-base, but processes and procedures, and training processes, and consistency.
It involves training myself and my clients that I don't need to be involved in every step for them to get quality work (side note: some clients are on this forum, so these statements always carry some risk for me, but I encourage them all to do the same thing with their business. If they have to show up every day, they still just have a job).

I haven't figured it all out yet, but I believe it's possible. Heck, other businesses can do it so it must be possible.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Every time I think I have clarity I lose it three days later.

my goals are so incredibly specific that to accomplish them I would have to become an entirely different person. And I fail to see how to change or I lose my desire to change that much because it feels overwhelming so then I end up slipping back into old habits.

I still don't understand. But you said you have clarity. To me, clarity doesn't just go away because you can't do it. It's clarity, literally meaning that you have a clearly defined path.

Maybe it's not clarity then. Because if suddenly your path becomes clear that you need to become a vegan, then you work hard to become a vegan. You don't just decide to eat meat when the restaurant you go to has no veggies. That's why I think that maybe it's not clarity you are getting. Maybe it's just a thought or the current shiny object.

The clarity goals are something that you strive for no matter what happens. And you will change, you will go through tough times, but the goal is more important than you, there is no loss of desire because you want to achieve your goal.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
0. Sidewalker
1. Slow lane scripted
2. Slow lane side hustling
3. Slow lane with small business
4. Small business 100% focused
5. CENTS business
6. Sold/unscripted from CENTS business
7. Investing into other CENTS business
8. Living off less than 10% of growing cashflow/ROI

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I still don't understand. But you said you have clarity. To me, clarity doesn't just go away because you can't do it. It's clarity, literally meaning that you have a clearly defined path.

Maybe it's not clarity then. Because if suddenly your path becomes clear that you need to become a vegan, then you work hard to become a vegan. You don't just decide to eat meat when the restaurant you go to has no veggies. That's why I think that maybe it's not clarity you are getting. Maybe it's just a thought or the current shiny object.

The clarity goals are something that you strive for no matter what happens. And you will change, you will go through tough times, but the goal is more important than you, there is no loss of desire because you want to achieve your goal.

We’re defining clarity in two entirely different ways. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a clear path to anything I desired.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
0. Sidewalker
1. Slow lane scripted
5. CENTS business

Now THAT is pithy. I like this list. We gotta add habits and mindsets to this list.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA

Here's an example of what I think she's talking about, taken from my own life:

Clarity: I decide that I need to do cold calls
Action: I do a few
I get busy with project work
A few days later: I do a few more
Client has a crisis, gotta resolve that.
I start wondering if I'm not doing them right
then, I think, Perhaps I should try Google Adwords.

This is caused more by psychological hangups/self doubt/being afraid of my own shadow / fear / or whatever, than anything else.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Here's an example of what I think she's talking about, taken from my own life:

Clarity: I decide that I need to do cold calls
Action: I do a few
I get busy with project work
A few days later: I do a few more
Client has a crisis, gotta resolve that.
I start wondering if I'm not doing them right
then, I think, Perhaps I should try Google Adwords.

This is caused more by psychological hangups/self doubt/being afraid of my own shadow / fear / or whatever, than anything else.

Mine is different. I can clearly visualize myself being or doing several different things. So I have like three or four Z’s.

I think.

But I get stuck because I can’t figure out steps B-Y. By the time I sit down and figure some of it out, say steps B-H I realize that to go that direction I would have to sacrifice another dream which leaves me sad. Having all of my dreams at the same time seems utterly impossible. I lose energy to make one happen because I know it means not having another one.

I’ve made more progress in the last month towards accomplishing making 100k a year because instead of trying to figure out my “why” I sat down and asked myself what would happen if I kept doing nothing. THAT idea is awful.

Right now I have peace about sacrificing some of my dreams. Kinda. I figure if I keep implementing stuff, even stuff I don’t really like, at the very least I won’t have to worry about money.

This has taken a dark path.. huh.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Mine is different. I can clearly visualize myself being or doing several different things. So I have like three or four Z’s.

I think.

But I get stuck because I can’t figure out steps B-Y. By the time I sit down and figure some of it out, say steps B-H I realize that to go that direction I would have to sacrifice another dream which leaves me sad. Having all of my dreams at the same time seems utterly impossible. I lose energy to make one happen because I know it means not having another one.

I’ve made more progress in the last month towards accomplishing making 100k a year because instead of trying to figure out my “why” I sat down and asked myself what would happen if I kept doing nothing. THAT idea is awful.

Right now I have peace about sacrificing some of my dreams. Kinda. I figure if I keep implementing stuff, even stuff I don’t really like, at the very least I won’t have to worry about money.

This has taken a dark path.. huh.
that does sound exhausting.

I'm not quite following though. I think the specifics matter. Sent you a PM

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ok here is what mine looks like from earlier this year.

My warehouse lease is up, do I rent a bigger place, buy a larger warehouse. On top of this I have to decide, do I pay down my home mortgage, or use the current cash to buy more inventory, or as a down payment to purchasing a warehouse.

So I have a chunk of case and a bunch of decisions that all affect each other. So I think through them all.
1) Pay down my mortgage = less monthly expense personally, lowers business risk.
2) Buy more inventory = greatest ROI use with the money, means renting warehouse and keeping my high mortgage payment.
3) Rent a warehouse = large monthly payments ($14k a month), saves cash to pay down mortgage
4) Buy a warehouse = $7k a month, large down payment of cash required, still have high mortgage, no cash for inventory.

After running through all the possible scenarios, I decided to pay down my mortgage, rent a warehouse. This was in May. So now that I've gotten to my answer, every other decision after that is based on my answer. Then I proceed with my answer, I pay down my mortgage. Then I look for a warehouse to rent. I deal with the lower inventory level.

I don't pay down my mortgage and then wonder months later if I should look to buy a warehouse. That decision was done months ago.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Ok here is what mine looks like from earlier this year.

My warehouse lease is up, do I rent a bigger place, buy a larger warehouse. On top of this I have to decide, do I pay down my home mortgage, or use the current cash to buy more inventory, or as a down payment to purchasing a warehouse.

So I have a chunk of case and a bunch of decisions that all affect each other. So I think through them all.
1) Pay down my mortgage = less monthly expense personally, lowers business risk.
2) Buy more inventory = greatest ROI use with the money, means renting warehouse and keeping my high mortgage payment.
3) Rent a warehouse = large monthly payments ($14k a month), saves cash to pay down mortgage
4) Buy a warehouse = $7k a month, large down payment of cash required, still have high mortgage, no cash for inventory.

After running through all the possible scenarios, I decided to pay down my mortgage, rent a warehouse. This was in May. So now that I've gotten to my answer, every other decision after that is based on my answer. Then I proceed with my answer, I pay down my mortgage. Then I look for a warehouse to rent. I deal with the lower inventory level.

I don't pay down my mortgage and then wonder months later if I should look to buy a warehouse. That decision was done months ago.

Ya dude, I sincerely appreciate you trying to help.

I know what you mean. When I stay focused on just practical things I can follow through no problem.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Let’s use this one for now. Maybe add habits to it...

0. Sidewalker
1. Slow lane scripted
5. CENTS business

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I have doubt a fair bit, i mean im earning revenue and its growing that's cool, it's ssslllloooowwww though.

But i am also fully aware i am violating control at the same time, i don't know if it is sustainable.

Do i continue hustling this same thing, or do i bring the revenue up on this as much as i can and go on to the next thing to build another revenue stream and just feed it every now and then?

Would that just be changing to the next shiny object? i don't think so as its not like i'm abandoning it.

I want to go into step 2 without having to trade time for money.

I don't know if this attitude is holding me back or not as i'm coming up with excuses of why i shouldn't do said business.

I have a bi of a scarcity mindset going on to, pfft $75 for an advertisment for my services and im still trading time for money? PASS.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I have doubt a fair bit, i mean im earning revenue and its growing that's cool, it's ssslllloooowwww though.

But i am also fully aware i am violating control at the same time, i don't know if it is sustainable.

Do i continue hustling this same thing, or do i bring the revenue up on this as much as i can and go on to the next thing to build another revenue stream and just feed it every now and then?

Would that just be changing to the next shiny object? i don't think so as its not like i'm abandoning it.

I want to go into step 2 without having to trade time for money.

I don't know if this attitude is holding me back or not as i'm coming up with excuses of why i shouldn't do said business.

I have a bi of a scarcity mindset going on to, pfft $75 for an advertisment for my services and im still trading time for money? PASS.

Did you start drinking? Wtf. This thread is pushing buttons. Lol.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I really don’t drink but the way this thread is going I’m thinking I should have bought some tequila.. Oy.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

This I like a lot and think it is worthy of emphasising more as we are all prone to second guessing ourselves and changing the plan. In the early stages that adds up to shiny object syndrome where we start to build a business, then months, weeks, sometime just days later decide to pivot to something more shiny. But later down the road if you don't create concrete decisions you can end up with confusion and frustration and a business that stagnates.

When you have important or 'fork in the road decisions' to make you should take your time, look at all the pros and cons. Maybe speak to mentors, bounce ideas off trusted friends and colleagues. Do all the due diligence required. Then you make that decision. Draw a line in the sand and own it. And when I say own it I mean make it part of you, your mission. Your master plan. Print that decision out and stick it where it can't be ignored. Make it a background for your phone or computer, or a screensaver if you like. It has to be set in stone.

If you do that then the second guessing, doing things half halfheartedly, putting off and dithering about become obsolete because you know you have spent a lot of time and effort coming to that decision so any knee jerk reaction to change the plan is coming out of discomfort or fear, NOT logic.

Take @Jon L moment of clarity that cold calls is his way forward. The 20 percent input that will increase his business output by 80 percent. Once he owns that decision (really owns it) he will make it part of his plan. It then gets inked in bold with a Sharpie:

"10am to 11am Monday to Friday I make cold calls".
"2pm to 3pm every Friday I create the cold call list for the following week".

Then there is no augment. You made a decision that you know deep down was the correct one. You just have to trust in the process and follow through. You are more easily able to ignore your amygdala. That voice causing:

...psychological hangups/self doubt/being afraid of my own shadow / fear / or whatever...

Because that voice don't matter. The decision has been made. You own it. Suck it up and get on with it as there are now no excuses. Then watch your business grow, and, as it does, as you realise the decision you owned was validated> Then those feelings of insecurity and fear will subside. You have levelled up. Time to own the next big decision.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
A few weeks ago I made a comment likening newbies on the forum to Cute Little Zoo-Kept Sloths and millionaires on the forum to Apex Predators. Then I thought about that spectrum. Sloths -> ______ -> _______ -> Apex Predator

I think this is a flawed and dangerous assumption. So the rest of the post is a throwaway to me (and went unread)

The problem is that it implies that there is a linear progression, with key insights along the way that apply to everyone. In my experience it’s just not true.

I’ve worked with people who turned their business from 0 to 25M and they are just as smart (or in some cases, as dumb) as people i’ve worked with who are stuck at making chump change. Sometimes, the people making chump change should be the one in charge of the business they built because they are better leaders and visionaries.

I’ve seen people who have built $20M businesses who were unable to even get close to that again. I’ve also seen people who have struggled for w decades suddenly have a 5M business within months.

In reality the path to greatness varies, and actually takes a small dash of luck.

Someone building a real estate empire will have a vastly different set of skills, abilities and mental models to someone who built a personal injury law practice, and both will have vastly different paths and mindsets to a billion dollar tech company founder.

The only thing these folks really share is a passion to be great at what they do, at scale, and will do anything to get there... so they are.

Unfortunately there really isn’t a set of xbox live-like achievements to mile mark your way. This kind of thinking, in general, will keep you stuck.

@biophase’s post corroborates this, and even so, he is looking for the secret that will take him to 20M. This just illustrates its a common cognitive trap we fall into. I hate to share this opinion, but i believe these secrets do not exist.

If you are looking for this set of mile markers, by definition, you’re asking the wrong question. The real questions to ask are more along the lines of: “what do i want to be great at? does this add enough value to others? how can i get closer to that this year, as fast as possible? what would get in the way of me accomplishing that? how can i enroll others in this goal?”

The lack of “levels” is why this is so hard. But since the journey is so unique for everyone, it’s also so worth it.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I think this is a flawed and dangerous assumption. So the rest of the post is a throwaway to me (and went unread)

The problem is that it implies that there is a linear progression, with key insights along the way that apply to everyone. In my experience it’s just not true.

I’ve worked with people who turned their business from 0 to 25M and they are just as smart (or in some cases, as dumb) as people i’ve worked with who are stuck at making chump change. Sometimes, the people making chump change should be the one in charge of the business they built because they are better leaders and visionaries.

I’ve seen people who have built $20M businesses who were unable to even get close to that again. I’ve also seen people who have struggled for w decades suddenly have a 5M business within months.

In reality the path to greatness varies, and actually takes a small dash of luck.

Someone building a real estate empire will have a vastly different set of skills, abilities and mental models to someone who built a personal injury law practice, and both will have vastly different paths and mindsets to a billion dollar tech company founder.

The only thing these folks really share is a passion to be great at what they do, at scale, and will do anything to get there... so they are.

Unfortunately there really isn’t a set of xbox live-like achievements to mile mark your way. This kind of thinking, in general, will keep you stuck.

@biophase’s post corroborates this, and even so, he is looking for the secret that will take him to 20M. This just illustrates its a common cognitive trap we fall into. I hate to share this opinion, but i believe these secrets do not exist.

If you are looking for this set of mile markers, by definition, you’re asking the wrong question. The real questions to ask are more along the lines of: “what do i want to be great at? does this add enough value to others? how can i get closer to that this year, as fast as possible? what would get in the way of me accomplishing that? how can i enroll others in this goal?”

The lack of “levels” is why this is so hard. But since the journey is so unique for everyone, it’s also so worth it.

Shall I return your rudeness with more and not read your reply? Sigh.

If you had read it you’d see that I also mentioned habits, choices, and milestones. Thanks for your thoughts.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
This I like a lot and think it is worthy of emphasising more as we are all prone to second guessing ourselves and changing the plan. In the early stages that adds up to shiny object syndrome where we start to build a business, then months, weeks, sometime just days later decide to pivot to something more shiny. But later down the road if you don't create concrete decisions you can end up with confusion and frustration and a business that stagnates.

When you have important or 'fork in the road decisions' to make you should take your time, look at all the pros and cons. Maybe speak to mentors, bounce ideas off trusted friends and colleagues. Do all the due diligence required. Then you make that decision. Draw a line in the sand and own it. And when I say own it I mean make it part of you, your mission. Your master plan. Print that decision out and stick it where it can't be ignored. Make it a background for your phone or computer, or a screensaver if you like. It has to be set in stone.

If you do that then the second guessing, doing things half halfheartedly, putting off and dithering about become obsolete because you know you have spent a lot of time and effort coming to that decision so any knee jerk reaction to change the plan is coming out of discomfort or fear, NOT logic.

Take @Jon L moment of clarity that cold calls is his way forward. The 20 percent input that will increase his business output by 80 percent. Once he owns that decision (really owns it) he will make it part of his plan. It then gets inked in bold with a Sharpie:

"10am to 11am Monday to Friday I make cold calls".
"2pm to 3pm every Friday I create the cold call list for the following week".

Then there is no augment. You made a decision that you know deep down was the correct one. You just have to trust in the process and follow through. You are more easily able to ignore your amygdala. That voice causing:

Because that voice don't matter. The decision has been made. You own it. Suck it up and get on with it as there are now no excuses. Then watch your business grow, and, as it does, as you realise the decision you owned was validated> Then those feelings of insecurity and fear will subside. You have levelled up. Time to own the next big decision.

Your posts are always helpful. I commit to very few things and doubt if the commitments I have made are worthwhile, quite a bit. I have a lifetime of being malleable.. this type of firmness often escapes me. Hmm. I’ll think about this. Thank you.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Shall I return your rudeness with more and not read your reply? Sigh.

If you had read it you’d see that I also mentioned habits, choices, and milestones. Thanks for your thoughts.

after i posted, i did read it, and my thoughts remain unchanged.

If you want a sound byte to live by: you are the result of the questions you ask.

I did not intend to be rude. if the question is flawed, it’s not worth answering because it will only lead you astray, as i believe several of the answers you like are doing

Last edited:

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
after i posted, i did read it, and my thoughts remain unchanged.

If you want a sound byte to live by: you are the result of the questions you ask.

I did not intend to be rud. if the question is flawed, it’s not worth answering because it will only lead you astray, as i believe several of the answers you like are doing

In your original reply you made excellent points, you gave new questions to ask, you helped. I appreciate that.. but telling me that my post is throwaway.. made me kinda grr.

I’m not trying to be obstinate here but growth or progressing in maturity is a principle of the Universe. Everything goes through growth, even stars. If I can’t see the linear progression of a thing I’m probably not looking at the situation with the right measure.

You gave EXCELLENT questions. I have only just begun to ask those questions of myself in my life. I’m curious if the intensity with which we pursue those questions correlates to our progress. Now I’m wondering if we add what Razorcut just said to your questions if maybe THAT is a good standard of measure.

I can’t judge someone else’s heart but I can definitely track whether I’ve grown in my dedication to pursuing those questions. From a Christian perspective I’d be asking myself “How committed am I to pursuing God’s will for me to be a blessing to others? How can I be more dedicated to pursuing that? What activities or habits will clear up my day so that I can spend more time pursuing Him? How can I remove things that get in the way of that?”

And then I can use Razorcuts advice to wrestle with decisions and commit to them without constantly wondering if I’ve done the right thing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.