The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Deciding on a Project to dedicate my Energy

felixwinkler

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 29, 2020
Karlsruhe, Germany
I'm currently in a phase where I'm searching for a project to dedicate my energy, time, and money. I'm interested in many topics and have many ideas, but am just unsure where to start. Currently, I'm still living with my parents (19 yrs old rn), however, I fully have their support right now. I'm not sure whether I should get started with a big project right away, really trying to change something in the world, or just go for something simple like FBA and/or building a brand. Any advice is welcome, thank you so much in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
I'm currently in a phase where I'm searching for a project to dedicate my energy, time, and money. I'm interested in many topics and have many ideas, but am just unsure where to start. Currently, I'm still living with my parents (19 yrs old rn), however, I fully have their support right now. I'm not sure whether I should get started with a big project right away, really trying to change something in the world, or just go for something simple like FBA and/or building a brand. Any advice is welcome, thank you so much in advance!
Sounds interesting. I'm in a similar situation right now. Also still living at home. :)
Wouldn't go for FBA or dropshipping, I'd rather go for the idea to create a brand as you wrote.

felixwinkler

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 29, 2020
Karlsruhe, Germany
Sounds interesting. I'm in a similar situation right now. Also still living at home. :)
Wouldn't go for FBA or dropshipping, I'd rather go for the idea to create a brand as you wrote.
Actually started out with dropshipping two and a half years ago. Why would you say starting a brand outside of Amazon would be better? When starting out with FBA you can always expand to your own website later...

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Actually started out with dropshipping two and a half years ago. Why would you say starting a brand outside of Amazon would be better? When starting out with FBA you can always expand to your own website later...
Oh wow, congrats on the dropshipping. I did the exact opposite. We created a kind of a brand, I rather saw it as a community, around two years ago. Sold it in January just before Corona hit. :)
I personally rather create something than selling some products from china with a margin or doing FBA. With FBA it always depends on the context, if you use it just as an additional income source I don't have a problem. But I'm not a fan of only focusing on FBA.
But that's just my opinion surely there can be money made through dropshipping and FBA.
I just think at the moment you can create a brand around nearly everything and scale it up.

felixwinkler

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 29, 2020
Karlsruhe, Germany
Oh wow, congrats on the dropshipping. I did the exact opposite. We created a kind of a brand, I rather saw it as a community, around two years ago. Sold it in January just before Corona hit. :)
I personally rather create something than selling some products from china with a margin or doing FBA. With FBA it always depends on the context, if you use it just as an additional income source I don't have a problem. But I'm not a fan of only focusing on FBA.
But that's just my opinion surely there can be money made through dropshipping and FBA.
I just think at the moment you can create a brand around nearly everything and scale it up.
I guess when you say you'd "rather create something" you're not talking about reinventing the wheel, but instead about finding an existing offer and making some tweaks/adding value skews?

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
I guess when you say you'd "rather create something" you're not talking about reinventing the wheel, but instead about finding an existing offer and making some tweaks/adding value skews?
Look I personally am just not a fan of dropshipping. And with a brand, you can also reinvent parts of the wheel. You don't need to do it like most, buy cheap T-shirts and put your logo on it. You can reinvent products, create a community, etc. I really don't say that one is better than the other. I'm just not a fan of dropshipping, but if that works for you even better for you.

felixwinkler

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 29, 2020
Karlsruhe, Germany
Look I personally am just not a fan of dropshipping. And with a brand, you can also reinvent parts of the wheel. You don't need to do it like most, buy cheap T-shirts and put your logo on it. You can reinvent products, create a community, etc. I really don't say that one is better than the other. I'm just not a fan of dropshipping, but if that works for you even better for you.
Sorry, I think you misinterpreted something. I 100% agree with you, also stopped doing dropshipping last year. Building a brand is definitely the way to go, the only question is whether it's easier and more sustainable to start building it on Amazon and then expand to your own website or vice versa. In both cases, I'd basically skew value for an existing product or offer.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Sorry, I think you misinterpreted something. I 100% agree with you, also stopped doing dropshipping last year. Building a brand is definitely the way to go, the only question is whether it's easier and more sustainable to start building it on Amazon and then expand to your own website or vice versa. In both cases, I'd basically skew value for an existing product or offer.
Oh, I'm so sorry about that.
That's quite a good point. In my last business, we only sold products through our website. It was just simpler for us. And we had a lot of organic traffic, due to our blog and our small forum. In my mind, it all depends on the product in the end. If it's possible to build a whole community around your product I wouldn't go of Amazone, but otherwise, I quite like the idea.
Can I ask in which direction your product will go? Or are you still at an earlier stage?

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
I'm not sure whether I should get started with a big project right away, really trying to change something in the world, or just go for something simple like FBA and/or building a brand.

If the choice is between 'changing the world' and starting a FBA, then just focus on the latter. Anyone that has the ability and mentality to change the world won't sit around thinking "do I want to change the world or build another dropshipping/amazon/ecom business?" (no offense intended).

Seems like you've had experience in dropshipping, so just do Amazon and build a brand.

No.1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Nov 14, 2020
How much did you make at your peak with the brand you sold?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.