The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Death by Volunteering -- But you've still got to network and get out there

John Barker

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Apr 5, 2015
Virginia
Hey everyone, long time lurker, finally redirecting some energy to help other like-minded individuals or to bounce things off of others as needed.

In a nutshell, I dramatically improve organizational performance in service-based industries and government contractors. As a trusted advisor, I provide operations, technology, and strategy consulting services to help you frame, simplify and ultimately solve complex problems.

I do management consulting.

As well as I do this for other organizations or specific projects, it can be difficult to turn that same critical eye on yourself. Sometimes you try to justify things in your own head that you would never let a client "get away with".

Over the past couple of years, I have retooled, rebranded, and simplified things to get the direction that fits right. I feel like I've hit that stride and will be launching a renewed marketing campaign that will hit in full force in two weeks. I've had some interesting bumps along the road the past couple years.

One of the things that I thought was helping but I finally realized was hurting was the level of volunteering I was involved in. Don't get me wrong. Giving back to a community or initiative you believe in is fantastic, and I encourage everyone to find a way to do that. But I was getting sucked down rabbit holes that were eating up all of my time.

Some of the efforts were with organizations (Chamber of Commerce and Local Government committees) that I thought, "Yes I am giving back to them, but I will get something in return". In reality, I was getting sucked dry by the level of energy I had to expend running "free projects" and "being the go-to guy".

Alex Weiss, of Million Dollar Consulting fame, has a saying about taking care of yourself before taking care of others. Similar to put your oxygen mask on first in the event of an incident on a plane. I was definitely taking care of others before taking care of myself.

I say "NO" a lot more now. When my duties end on the Chamber of Commerce Board and Chair of a committee at the end of the year, I will be stepping away. I’ll be involved but in a different capacity.

This should allow me to work on more true prospects instead of those asking for handouts all the time.

A few things about me if anyone gives a damn:

I hold an MBA and a Bachelor degree in Business Administration. I earned multiple certifications such as PMP, Lean Six Sigma, ITILv3, MCSA, MCP, The CompTIA Pluses.

I am on the board of the local chamber of commerce. I chair the marketing and membership committee. I have my own technology-based column in the regional newspaper that runs monthly. I served on the broadband steering committee for a couple of years.

I have served as virtual CIO small and medium-sized companies. I have run and directed teams of people on multi-million dollar projects that have worldwide reach.

Goals for the remainder of 2019 include:

Fill up my sales pipeline. Acquire 1 new client per month for the remainder of the year. This can be short term projects 30-90 days. Longer term consulting as well.

Launch my new marketing strategy in two weeks. This will include a new YouTube channel.

Additional business-related columns in statewide and national publications such as Inc., Entrepreneur, Washington Post, Fortune, Richmond Times-Dispatch, NY Times, Washington Times, etc)

I am a heavy user of LinkedIn and just getting into the Twittersphere. Yeah late to the party on Twitter. I found it a time suck.

I look forward to learning more about your challenges and hope I bring valuable insight to the conversation.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the board John.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome aboard!

Good luck with the YouTube channel. It's a tough game. Best advice I can give is make sure your audio is on point. People will forgive poor video, but not poor audio.

I've got a small channel so I know the struggle is real. You can ping me once you get started, if you want some tips.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Welcome aboard!

Good luck with the YouTube channel. It's a tough game. Best advice I can give is make sure your audio is on point. People will forgive poor video, but not poor audio.

I've got a small channel so I know the struggle is real. You can ping me once you get started, if you want some tips.

Audio is such a pain. Someone needs to make a mic where you punch in the settings you want and no matter where or how you record the audio always comes out the same!

John Barker

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Apr 5, 2015
Virginia
Welcome aboard!

Thanks. I have a wireless mic I will be wearing. I got this killer deal off of rasmus auction site a couple of years ago, camera, boom mic, a wireless mic, some lights(they aren't great) for an awesome price. I should have done this a long time ago.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey everyone, long time lurker, finally redirecting some energy to help other like-minded individuals or to bounce things off of others as needed.

In a nutshell, I dramatically improve organizational performance in service-based industries and government contractors. As a trusted advisor, I provide operations, technology, and strategy consulting services to help you frame, simplify and ultimately solve complex problems.

I do management consulting.

As well as I do this for other organizations or specific projects, it can be difficult to turn that same critical eye on yourself. Sometimes you try to justify things in your own head that you would never let a client "get away with".

Over the past couple of years, I have retooled, rebranded, and simplified things to get the direction that fits right. I feel like I've hit that stride and will be launching a renewed marketing campaign that will hit in full force in two weeks. I've had some interesting bumps along the road the past couple years.

One of the things that I thought was helping but I finally realized was hurting was the level of volunteering I was involved in. Don't get me wrong. Giving back to a community or initiative you believe in is fantastic, and I encourage everyone to find a way to do that. But I was getting sucked down rabbit holes that were eating up all of my time.

Some of the efforts were with organizations (Chamber of Commerce and Local Government committees) that I thought, "Yes I am giving back to them, but I will get something in return". In reality, I was getting sucked dry by the level of energy I had to expend running "free projects" and "being the go-to guy".

Alex Weiss, of Million Dollar Consulting fame, has a saying about taking care of yourself before taking care of others. Similar to put your oxygen mask on first in the event of an incident on a plane. I was definitely taking care of others before taking care of myself.

I say "NO" a lot more now. When my duties end on the Chamber of Commerce Board and Chair of a committee at the end of the year, I will be stepping away. I’ll be involved but in a different capacity.

This should allow me to work on more true prospects instead of those asking for handouts all the time.

A few things about me if anyone gives a damn:

I hold an MBA and a Bachelor degree in Business Administration. I earned multiple certifications such as PMP, Lean Six Sigma, ITILv3, MCSA, MCP, The CompTIA Pluses.

I am on the board of the local chamber of commerce. I chair the marketing and membership committee. I have my own technology-based column in the regional newspaper that runs monthly. I served on the broadband steering committee for a couple of years.

I have served as virtual CIO small and medium-sized companies. I have run and directed teams of people on multi-million dollar projects that have worldwide reach.

Goals for the remainder of 2019 include:

Fill up my sales pipeline. Acquire 1 new client per month for the remainder of the year. This can be short term projects 30-90 days. Longer term consulting as well.

Launch my new marketing strategy in two weeks. This will include a new YouTube channel.

Additional business-related columns in statewide and national publications such as Inc., Entrepreneur, Washington Post, Fortune, Richmond Times-Dispatch, NY Times, Washington Times, etc)

I am a heavy user of LinkedIn and just getting into the Twittersphere. Yeah late to the party on Twitter. I found it a time suck.

I look forward to learning more about your challenges and hope I bring valuable insight to the conversation.
Welcome John.

What’s the activity that brings you the most prospects?

John Barker

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Apr 5, 2015
Virginia
Welcome John.

What’s the activity that brings you the most prospects?
Hey Andy,
Thank you.

Right now its primarily referrals. I want to stretch this out to include the writing, videos, and speaking engagements to get to a wider audience.

I am in discussion with two other non-profits on joining the boards. One is medical related and has worldwide reach. But I am looking at next year the earliest if that comes thru.

I am trying to create a stable pipeline now.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
Welcome, @John Barker ! Great insight on the volunteering time suck! I decided a couple weeks ago to quit cruising the job boards. Glass Door would figure out I was looking for work in a city, all of a sudden I'd get 5 emails a day saying "Company X has just the job for you..." (Yes, you were supposed to read that with MJ's announcer voice). Next thing I know it's two hours later surfing for jobs I don't want paying with scripted vouchers!

As for Twitter, two things.
  1. Set up searches and filters to find people to interact with and follow. Easiest way I've found for free is Tweet Deck
  2. If your prospects aren't on Twitter, don't bother with it. Go to the platforms they use.
Good luck!

John Barker

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Apr 5, 2015
Virginia
Welcome, @John Barker ! Great insight on the volunteering time suck! I decided a couple weeks ago to quit cruising the job boards. Glass Door would figure out I was looking for work in a city, all of a sudden I'd get 5 emails a day saying "Company X has just the job for you..." (Yes, you were supposed to read that with MJ's announcer voice). Next thing I know it's two hours later surfing for jobs I don't want paying with scripted vouchers!

As for Twitter, two things.
  1. Set up searches and filters to find people to interact with and follow. Easiest way I've found for free is Tweet Deck
  2. If your prospects aren't on Twitter, don't bother with it. Go to the platforms they use.
Good luck!
Thanks for the info on Tweet Deck. The one thing I have noticed with twitter the past couple weeks, even people with small engagement, don't acknowledge those that do comment on their posts. They just keep on posting new stuff. I find that odd. I have found the opposite of that on LinkedIn for the past year. People do comment and respond to others.

I've got some research to do to find out where the really big consulting companies advertise (and midsize) and then I know where my prospects hang out.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for the info on Tweet Deck. The one thing I have noticed with twitter the past couple weeks, even people with small engagement, don't acknowledge those that do comment on their posts. They just keep on posting new stuff. I find that odd. I have found the opposite of that on LinkedIn for the past year. People do comment and respond to others.

I've got some research to do to find out where the really big consulting companies advertise (and midsize) and then I know where my prospects hang out.
At a guess, people are buffering up their tweets to go out? (Maybe even using the tool called buffer?). I don’t tweet so I don’t know if that’s possible.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
At a guess, people are buffering up their tweets to go out? (Maybe even using the tool called buffer?). I don’t tweet so I don’t know if that’s possible.

This. I used to use the tool Buffer to schedule my posts. That's what a lot of people on Twitter and Instagram tend to do. They schedule their posts around the times of the day that they get the most interaction.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...