The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Critique on my website

Marketing, social media, advertising

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
http://www.ForexFlorida.com

Ok, Started my Landing page. would like feed back on it.

Its made with godaddy's WYSIWYG. I only know I tiny bit of HTML.

I don't have time for internet marketing and basically only weekends to work on the website as trading during the week takes a good portion of my time.

Just looking for general impressions of the page. How it may be set up better. Also having trouble with their auto responder and cannot figure out how to attach PDF to auto responder. Just may copy and paste it in the window box. Don't know if it will take images yet.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Also with the Mods permission I would like to post up my free ebook. It's pretty basic but would like feedback on it as well. I won't post it without permission though.

BTW Godaddy has a sweet deal. Buy 12 months of their website builder at a dollar a month and get a free domain.

ThomasT

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jan 12, 2013
Hi,

I dont like to talk bad about anyones websites or work, but this one i think need an honest opinion. It will not sell, as it gave me the feeling of the 90´s. Well i can speak for myself only, but i would never bring out my creditcard for a site looking like this.
So to come with a suggestion, if you dont have the funding to have some help set up a site for you? i suggest you look into getting a joomla/wordpress installation and get a free template, as it will either way look much better. And it is ton or freebies to these open source cms.

You know when you have to hightlight the text in order to see it, things gets wrong very fast.

If you need some help with my suggestion to set up a joomla or wordpress site let me know. i will be happy to help you out...and joomla is a easy to handle CMS system, that make it easy for you to add articles and edit the site without need of paying others to do that.
Look at gavick.com or rockettheme.com for som idea of what you can easily get with joomla.

Just a suggestion:)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Eagle, What host are you on? Most you can install wordpress with one click and you can find a "landing page" template, pretty easy. Not only will this look much more modern, but it will be easier to work with for you and also update. I would start with that and go from there.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Thanks so far. I have just a tiny bit of experience with wordpress. I found Godaddy so much easier with its WYSIWYG but if its not converting then its not converting. More homework to do I guess. As i Don't know how to build the website and transfer it to the DNS.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
You dont need to do all that, I tihnk go daddy has fantastico or quick install. Both which will let you install wordpress with one click. I think in the end it will be much less work and much better looking.

ThomasT

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jan 12, 2013
Thanks so far. I have just a tiny bit of experience with wordpress. I found Godaddy so much easier with its WYSIWYG but if its not converting then its not converting. More homework to do I guess. As i Don't know how to build the website and transfer it to the DNS.

As lighthouse says, they probably have fantastico or some other script for one click install all the typical cms systems like wordpress or joomla.
I like joomla best myself, but many prefer wordpress, so it is all about what you are used to and taste i guess.
Both are easy to use when you first give it a try.

Anyway, i think i mentioned it, but i am happy to help out with things if you need. No charge!
Even if your hosting do not have a one click installer it takes just a few minutes for me to install this and the theme you want.

Anyway just drop me a pm if you need technical help or just some guidance with any cms system in order to get a site up so you can start add content on it.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I agree with everyone that has already commented. Wordpress is definitely the way to go here, especially if you don't have a lot of technical background.

GoDaddy does have an automatic install of Wordpress. It's easy to do - I'll do it for you, just PM me if you need help.

I always distrust websites that have highlighted text... don't know why.

Good luck!!

onialex1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 8, 2012
Baltimore MD

Please check out my website americanstudentblog.com. I used wordpress to create it and trust me when I say I knew next to nothing about wordpress. Try investing about a month into learning how to create a website using wordpress.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
ok o daddy has some prebuilt templates so I converted over. I still want my back ground so I'll figure that out. I know I can change it. Just have to figure it out. The palm trees will show up better than the surfer.
Home Page

I think I need to improve the video and just talk about what I did last week. Increasing my account 38%. The vid is very poorly done I know. Just slapped it on Screenr and loaded up. Easiest to do and its all online. No software.

also I'm thinking that I should maybe Convert the text to another page and lead them to a final page for a call to buy.

From what I seen Godaddy WYSIWYG has all the Bells and whistles that wordpress has. I just started from scratch with a clean slate for the first one

tm33

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2011
From what I seen Godaddy WYSIWYG has all the Bells and whistles that wordpress has. I just started from scratch with a clean slate for the first one

A good four or 5 people have commented on how you should switch to Wordpress. That's probably a sign that you should switch. New website still is lacking about 10 years. However, I respect your drive. Keep working on it and you'll get it.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Ok I understand that! Its just that time is sometimes more valuable than money. I don't necessarily have the time to learn wordpress. I will take a deeper look at wordpress though to see if it can offer more than what godaddy's WYSIWYG. I appreciate the nudge.

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
Its made with godaddy's WYSIWYG. I only know I tiny bit of HTML.

So you only know a "tiny bit of HTML" but you're insisting that you need to make a website from scratch
that looks 10+ years behind the times?

The time you waste trying to make a decent website with a WYSIWYG editor will be better spent
learning a few basics on wordpress.

The goal here is to get your offer up as quick as possible and to test it.

Not to learn how to make a crappy website from scratch.

Take up one of the offers you've gotten of setting up wordpress,
spend an hour clicking around the admin panel,
find a landing page template/ theme and
get something up.

The overall design will look much cleaner and you'll be able to accomplish your goal.

Which is to test your offer.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
A good four or 5 people have commented on how you should switch to Wordpress. That's probably a sign that you should switch. New website still is lacking about 10 years. However, I respect your drive. Keep working on it and you'll get it.

PS. It absolutely should not take anything close to a month to learn how to develop a site using Wordpress --- someone here suggested it would take that long, but I really doubt it, unless there is significant customization required. It should take a couple of hours at most. Understand how to apply concept of static pages, and you're done. Maybe additional time required for typing in your content.

Ignoring all the professionally designed templates that are optimized for usability, simplicity and aesthetics, in favor of trying to use a WYSIWYG editor to create your own site from scratch with styles, themes and fonts that look like they were created as an elementary school project --- this is an amazingly commonly phenomenon.

It really shows the power of branding: GoDaddy is advertised on the Superbowl and a cute NASCAR driver is the spokesperson, so people think GoDaddy's simple easy website builder must be the simplest, easiest thing out there, because the advertisement said so. Wordpress? What's that??? I don't know... it must be complicated. Think about this logic: "I just want to focus on my business, and I recognize time is more valuable than money, so that is why I am designing my own website from scratch."

Bruce

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Feb 1, 2012
Canada
Ok I understand that! Its just that time is sometimes more valuable than money. I don't necessarily have the time to learn wordpress. I will take a deeper look at wordpress though to see if it can offer more than what godaddy's WYSIWYG. I appreciate the nudge.

It shouldn't take more than a day to figure it out in my experience. But if you need a hand PM me.

Here are some useful links

Using WordPress.com to Create a*Website — Support — WordPress.com
WordPress Themes for Blogs at WordPress.com

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky

Wordpress is simple to learn, just as easy as wysiwyg if not easier. The time you invest will certainly pay off.

You can think of it this way, with your current will sell exactly 0 products. If you plan to waste anymore time on this venture (that apparently you dont have) you might as well use this time to learn wordpress. Look up wordpress templates or worpress landing pages.

If you dont have the time to learn wordpress, you dont truly have the time yo make this venture work and you might as well just give up and move on

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
I think when you have to highlight the text it seems like you want to hammer something into your viewers brain and that you cannot read or see..so it give all the wrong signals to me atleast:)

I agree. I highlighted more so you could see it against the back ground but am taking everyone's advice and when time permits I'll hunker down and click around Wordpress. I used it a while back so I got a general idea of it. So much to learn. So little time.

S

stranger

wordpress is a good idea. it took me 1 week to learn how running my website with WP. Also there're many free useful plugins.

I designed my 1st website in HTML 7 years ago. It was about pets and looked like their shit. 1 guy offered to re-designed my website free and I was smart enough to accept his help. I sold that site 5 years ago, however, I still thanks to that stranger who helped me.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Nick,

First let me applaud you and your effort where you keep dusting yourself off and trying new things. Not many folks have the fortitude to take continual swings at business.

You are. :eusa_clap:

However when it comes to this, I'm sorry to say but my first and last impression is that this is a total scam, lacking any credibility whatsoever.

Seriously. Last year you were selling Amway and now you are some Forex master trader?

Take this from your page:

I have been trading the foreign currency market for years now.
I struggled to find that edge that would put me over the top.
I finally found that edge. It has literally changed my trading FOREVER.
I can show you how to make annual triple digit percentage returns on your investment for
VERY LITTLE RISK!

Let's assume this is true.

Why not just take those "triple digit returns" and hire someone to do a professional landing page? They don't cost a lot of $$ (probably could get an a$$-kicking one for just $500) and considering you're earning "triple digit returns" why not just invest $2000 into your Forex system, wait a few days for your system to churn out $1000, and then pay a web developer to put up something professional?

Then again, since you don't have time for internet marketing, why not do the same?

Throw $2G into your Forex Magic System, what for it to churn another few G's and then hire an internet marketer to explode your new Forex coaching/eBook empire?

If I was earning "triple digit returns" on my stagnate money, I certainly wouldn't be f*cking around with GoDaddy and their dumb a$$ Website Builder, complaining that I don't have any time to learn anything.

If you're making "triple digit returns", finding time and learning the nuances of some blogging platform should be the least of your problems.

Your offer is severely lacking in credibility and your website clearly screams as much.

Have you turned $100,000 into $300,000? If so, this is credibility. Or $100 into $300? This is not.

If you want to be taken seriously, you'll need to provide proof of your track record and produce a website that conveys that proof, enhances your credibility, and convinces the casual Forex browser that you are the man to follow. You do that with credibility, social proof, and documented sources of trading activity (which is common for folks that sell trading systems.)

IMO, your website is a credibility calamity. Appearances are everything.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Nick,

First let me applaud you and your effort where you keep dusting yourself off and trying new things. Not many folks have the fortitude to take continual swings at business.

You are. :eusa_clap:

However when it comes to this, I'm sorry to say but my first and last impression is that this is a total scam, lacking any credibility whatsoever.

Seriously. Last year you were selling Amway and now you are some Forex master trader?

Take this from your page:

Let's assume this is true.

Why not just take those "triple digit returns" and hire someone to do a professional landing page? They don't cost a lot of $$ (probably could get an a$$-kicking one for just $500) and considering you're earning "triple digit returns" why not just invest $2000 into your Forex system, wait a few days for your system to churn out $1000, and then pay a web developer to put up something professional?

Then again, since you don't have time for internet marketing, why not do the same?

Throw $2G into your Forex Magic System, what for it to churn another few G's and then hire an internet marketer to explode your new Forex coaching/eBook empire?

If I was earning "triple digit returns" on my stagnate money, I certainly wouldn't be f*cking around with GoDaddy and their dumb a$$ Website Builder, complaining that I don't have any time to learn anything.

If you're making "triple digit returns", finding time and learning the nuances of some blogging platform should be the least of your problems.

Your offer is severely lacking in credibility and your website clearly screams as much.

Have you turned $100,000 into $300,000? If so, this is credibility. Or $100 into $300? This is not.

If you want to be taken seriously, you'll need to provide proof of your track record and produce a website that conveys that proof, enhances your credibility, and convinces the casual Forex browser that you are the man to follow. You do that with credibility, social proof, and documented sources of trading activity (which is common for folks that sell trading systems.)

IMO, your website is a credibility calamity. Appearances are everything.

When asked for I totally accept a harsh critique. However there are a few misconceptions here. I realize that not everyone here is following my posts as they have their own lives.

The MLM is my Girlfriends business not mine. I was supporting her. I had other lines in the water. BTW if anyone is still interested in 5 cents a gallon glass cleaner and 50 cents a gallon counter cleaner and 75 cents per 100 lbs of laundry detergent PM me.

The tire business I started with my step son was hoodwinked by an unscrupulous person. the money from that was supposed to fund that my venture I am currently doing in forex. If you must know my account is very small.

My GF lost her job and is going back to school so I am the sole bread winner of our home. i make a decent living blue collaring it but I'm no spring chicken anymore. believe me if I had that kind of money lying around I would have it in my account.

My buddy is coming down at the end of February and I am converting my barn to a studio apartment for him so that he can live in it and with the rental income , that will make up the short fall from my $700 a month child support payment.

The one thing I have been consistent with is trading forex. 2011 and 2012 were horrible years for me financially. between auto accidents, short term diability insurance screwing me, House insurance making me get a new $10K roof, paid in cash for $5.8k, new septic system $2K PAID $400,
$1,5K ac uNIT PAID $500 yaddah yaddah, I cant say the past two years have been kind to me.

Lets hope when my buddy gets here things will change. I have learned now I can only trust people I have known for more than 10 years. If they are still in my life after that I know they are trustworthy.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Nick

Sounds like you've had a tough stretch. Here's hoping you can turn that around sooner rather than later!

As for the website, Wordpress is really easy to learn. You can bust out a website that looks miles better than your existing site, and it truly is a cinch. Take it from a website moron - I know where you're coming from! Wordpress isn't some new programming language to learn, but rather a smart, logical way to build and maintain your website. An afternoon will get you the basics and another solid day gets you fairly handy. Take everyone's (correct) advice and do this. Whether or not your forex site takes off, you'll have learned a new skill to use for the next thing.

Keep swinging, pal. You really are an inspiration, and you've got a lot of supporters rooting for you! From one old duffer to another, don't let the bastards get ya down.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Ok Godaddy's WYSIWYG editor does not support wordpress. I called and checked. I'm looking at their hosting plan as well as others for cost comparisons. heard great things about gator hosting. Looks like the plans are pretty much equal in terms of costs.

EDIT: Also, what is the difference between wordpress.org and wordpress.com? Do they own both sites as I see the logo is the same. Is there a difference?

bclark85

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Gilbert, AZ
I looked at your site a bit earlier, and noticed that it is down for now. The first thing that came to mind when I saw it was that it kind of looked like a starter blog. When I think of trading (I am by no means an expert at trading), I think of data, tracking, trends....kind of like the screen shot of your weekly results photo you had up. I noticed that there was a surfer in the back ground and thought to myself "wtf does this have to do with trading?". I think a back ground that has a screen shot of your trading results would be more suited than the surfer photo, but then again, a nice clean background would prob be best...something that isn't so busy that it distracts the eye away from your actual content. I would also do different page links such as an about me section, what we specialize in, a weekly results update page, just to clean the site up a bit and keep it organized rather than all in 1 page. I also think referring to your business such as "here at **** we specialize in trading" or something along those lines rather than refering to yourself. I would leave out all of the stuff about the struggles and now the magic edge stuff because it sounds like you are still inexperienced somewhat. If I were to break out my card and pay for something I would want a business that seems like they have been good at something for a long time and are the best at what they do....listing your previous barriers and struggles takes away from where you are right now in my opinion. I am in the process of building my own site right now and I am horrible at coding and SEO so I am learning as well. Hopefully my words aren't discouraging, just my initial thoughts when I first saw the page. MJ gave some killer advice also, can't go wrong with anything he said.

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
Ok Godaddy's WYSIWYG editor does not support wordpress. I called and checked. I'm looking at their hosting plan as well as others for cost comparisons. heard great things about gator hosting. Looks like the plans are pretty much equal in terms of costs.

EDIT: Also, what is the difference between wordpress.org and wordpress.com? Do they own both sites as I see the logo is the same. Is there a difference?

Godaddy's WYSIWYG editor is different then wordpress... Godaddy's hosting supports wordpress, just not in the html editor that you have been using. If you're not sure what you need to do, just call them up and tell them you want to install wordpress, they can walk you through it.

Wordpress.com is a free hosted website on their server. <-- you don't want this

Wordpress.org is the wordpress platform that you install on your hosting (ie. Goddady) <-- This is what you want.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
I looked at your site a bit earlier, and noticed that it is down for now. The first thing that came to mind when I saw it was that it kind of looked like a starter blog. When I think of trading (I am by no means an expert at trading), I think of data, tracking, trends....kind of like the screen shot of your weekly results photo you had up. I noticed that there was a surfer in the back ground and thought to myself "wtf does this have to do with trading?". I think a back ground that has a screen shot of your trading results would be more suited than the surfer photo, but then again, a nice clean background would prob be best...something that isn't so busy that it distracts the eye away from your actual content. I would also do different page links such as an about me section, what we specialize in, a weekly results update page, just to clean the site up a bit and keep it organized rather than all in 1 page. I also think referring to your business such as "here at **** we specialize in trading" or something along those lines rather than refering to yourself. I would leave out all of the stuff about the struggles and now the magic edge stuff because it sounds like you are still inexperienced somewhat. If I were to break out my card and pay for something I would want a business that seems like they have been good at something for a long time and are the best at what they do....listing your previous barriers and struggles takes away from where you are right now in my opinion. I am in the process of building my own site right now and I am horrible at coding and SEO so I am learning as well. Hopefully my words aren't discouraging, just my initial thoughts when I first saw the page. MJ gave some killer advice also, can't go wrong with anything he said.

Actually, trading has a surfer analogy to it. Catching waves! But I see your point. great input!

One of the things MJ talked about is credibility. He's absolutely correct. I have none. Not that I am dishonest, I just don't have a big fat account to show for in addition to the large percentage of equity growth I created. And did this part time. So I am offering Free mentoring for the time being for anyone who takes me up on it. Thats why I took the website down. I started a Free chat room on Skype for anyone who wants to learn. I'm not charging a dime for anything Because I have no credibility.

So if you want to invest a little time I can show you how to trade The euro/usd and get the returns I'm getting in my spare time.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Godaddy's WYSIWYG editor is different then wordpress... Godaddy's hosting supports wordpress, just not in the html editor that you have been using. If you're not sure what you need to do, just call them up and tell them you want to install wordpress, they can walk you through it.

Wordpress.com is a free hosted website on their server. <-- you don't want this

Wordpress.org is the wordpress platform that you install on your hosting (ie. Goddady) <-- This is what you want.

Thanks! I did a little more reading and came to the same conclusion. Now am transferring my domain to Godaddys regular hosting. I can use what i paid for the WYSIWYG editor and apply it to a three month special and still get credit back.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.