The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating my own product in eCommerce

Jeannen

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 9, 2020
France
29/06/2021

I created a survey to know the market & problem better

I'm going to run ads on it. $100 should already give me some good answers if I can get a $2/completed form, that will be 50 answers.
I'll post results of this experience here

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jeannen

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 9, 2020
France
You might be aware of this already but I came across the idea of the "Mom Test" on another thread, might come in handy when creating your survey!
Yes, very good one ! I actually use this method for my form !

I don't talk about the product at ALL in my form, I don't even have a lead gen or anything, I'm just looking to see if the problem I solve can be important for my target

I started the ads, 1 campaign, 1 adset with a super-targeted audience, with 3 image ad I made on Canva
Total is $50/day

Jeannen

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 9, 2020
France
30/06/2021
My CPM is extremely high ($50) because I used a very targeted audience. The CTR was high too (8%) but it's not worth it

I broadened the audience, from 200k to 3M, should make things better

Jeannen

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 9, 2020
France
01/07/2021

Shit, July already
Even by broadening the audience, the CPM is still incredibly high ($40). So far, I got 3 answers, which suck for $60 spent

It's probably because of the current period and the fact the ad account is pretty new.
In the meantime, I also made the landing page I'll use to generate leads. I just need to add a few tweaks and that will be good

Last edited:

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Even by broadening the audience, the CPM is still incredibly high ($40). So far, I got 3 answers, which suck for $60 spent
Holyyy

Your CTR is high but you are only getting a few answers? How long is your survey? Maybe roll the survey into an email list collection and offer a raffle ticket for some sort of prize upon completion (check local laws first though).

Jeannen

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 9, 2020
France
Holyyy

Your CTR is high but you are only getting a few answers? How long is your survey? Maybe roll the survey into an email list collection and offer a raffle ticket for some sort of prize upon completion (check local laws first though).

Yeah, good CTR but retarded CPM lol
I think I'll directly go to the text step for now, which is promoting the landing page and start lead acquisition. That will directly tell me if I'm wasting time on this product or not

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Does anybody answer survey questions honestly?

That’s a rare event in my opinion.

Was going to suggest lead collecting and crowdfunding but I went back and re read everything again, and you mentioned it.

I’ve launched a store not long ago.
I collected 5k leads at £0.25/lead.( not for crowdfunding, just store launch)

I had a referral campaign where people
could share their link and when somebody signed up they earned points towards rewards( discount, more discount, free product).

When doing this it’s important to bear in mind perceived value.

Launch day comes, some orders come in.
I had around 50 people supposed to order it for free(not even pay shipping). Only 3 of them ordered.

I still don’t understand why on earth you would sign up 50 people(that was the referral threshold) and never order your free product worth £50?

Nonetheless, after a couple months I decided to put the remaining 47 people through an email campaign flow.
33 people ordered with a 10% discount.

Let me repeat.
They wouldn’t order it for free but they paid for it almost full price.

I thought I’d share this as I found it interesting and can’t 100% understand what happened here.

All the best with your project !

Jeannen

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 9, 2020
France
Does anybody answer survey questions honestly?

That’s a rare event in my opinion.

Was going to suggest lead collecting and crowdfunding but I went back and re read everything again, and you mentioned it.

I’ve launched a store not long ago.
I collected 5k leads at £0.25/lead.( not for crowdfunding, just store launch)

I had a referral campaign where people
could share their link and when somebody signed up they earned points towards rewards( discount, more discount, free product).

When doing this it’s important to bear in mind perceived value.

Launch day comes, some orders come in.
I had around 50 people supposed to order it for free(not even pay shipping). Only 3 of them ordered.

I still don’t understand why on earth you would sign up 50 people(that was the referral threshold) and never order your free product worth £50?

Nonetheless, after a couple months I decided to put the remaining 47 people through an email campaign flow.
33 people ordered with a 10% discount.

Let me repeat.
They wouldn’t order it for free but they paid for it almost full price.

I thought I’d share this as I found it interesting and can’t 100% understand what happened here.

All the best with your project !
The method of ''the mom test'' make it basically impossible to not answer honestly, unless they really want to lie and F*cks up the survey (rare)

As for the free VS paid offer, tbh sometimes it's stupid

On my store (other one), I split tested price
Normal price: 35
Test 1: 30, same conversion rate but lower average order value (so, bad)
Test 2: 40, more conversion, more average order value

It's all about perceived value lol

Jeannen

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 9, 2020
France
02/07/2021

I finished the landing page copy and design (so, it's live) along with the first email sequence.

Here is the funnel:
  1. Facebook Ad
  2. Landing Page without price + CTA to sign up for the waitlist
  3. Email Sequence 1 presenting the product
  4. Landing Page with price + CTA to reserve the product
  5. Email Sequence 2 thanking them for the reservation + asking for interviews (to improve the product and see what matter to them)

Jeannen

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 9, 2020
France
Roadblock:

So, if I start the funnel, there is no going back.
The problem is that I have absolutely ZERO experience in manufacturing. I have no idea if my product would cost $10 or $30, but I need to indicate a price for the funnel to work.

So, feel like I'm a dead end here. The program I'm following, of course, has very little information about this.
I'll figure it out, but that might take lots of time. In the meantime, I think I'll focus on my other brands.

Edit: I still made research, and apparently I need a "Tech Pack", or a document with all technical specifications for the product, send it to suppliers to get an approximate quote. The guy I've used to make my 3D render was supposed to do it but didn't. Lesson learned. I can either start to run ads for the product or hire someone to make one. I'll start ads and see if I get any sort of traction before spending more $ in product developpement.

Last edited:

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
Roadblock:

So, if I start the funnel, there is no going back.
The problem is that I have absolutely ZERO experience in manufacturing. I have no idea if my product would cost $10 or $30, but I need to indicate a price for the funnel to work.

So, feel like I'm a dead end here. The program I'm following, of course, has very little information about this.
I'll figure it out, but that might take lots of time. In the meantime, I think I'll focus on my other brands.

Edit: I still made research, and apparently I need a "Tech Pack", or a document with all technical specifications for the product, send it to suppliers to get an approximate quote. The guy I've used to make my 3D render was supposed to do it but didn't. Lesson learned. I can either start to run ads for the product or hire someone to make one. I'll start ads and see if I get any sort of traction before spending more $ in product developpement.
Do you have an update? I'd love to hear!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.