The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating My Own Death Watch!

Anything related to matters of the mind

Simon P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Dec 17, 2021
I've been re-reading Unscripted and the chapter about a 'death watch' which tells you how long you've got left to live really stuck with me. I decided to download a countdown timer app and put it as an enlarged widget on my mobile homescreen.

After setting it to how many days I have left if I live to 82, I just let it count down every day. In the beginning, I saw I had over 15,000 days left, and it felt like I had loads of time. Then a day passed and bit by bit, I saw the minutes and hours going, never to return.

Now, 4 days in, I can't tell you how motivated I feel every time I pick up my phone. It makes me consider how I choose to spend every second of my day, what to focus on, what to appreciate. It really grounds me and keeps me real, not lost in unnecessary 'hyperrealities'.

Can't recommend doing this enough if you really want to attack each day with lazer-like focus!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I like it.

Also, I think it's good to remind yourself that maybe you won't even live to 82... Otherwise you may also fall into false security that you still have so much time left.

TheLearner

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Mar 17, 2018
DFW, USA
I like it.

Also, I think it's good to remind yourself that maybe you won't even live to 82... Otherwise you may also fall into false security that you still have so much time left.
I did something similar, and that's what I found. Instead I looked at what age your risk of cancer substantially increases, which happens to be age 50, so I set the timer for that instead. It is a little more tangible because the whole point is to utilize your good years, you might live to 82, but are those last 10 years going to be when you are vibrant, able bodied, and having incredible experiences? Maybe, but the probability is that it'll be filled with medical bills, doctor's offices, and sitting at home because you're too frail to do anything else.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I've been re-reading Unscripted and the chapter about a 'death watch' which tells you how long you've got left to live really stuck with me. I decided to download a countdown timer app and put it as an enlarged widget on my mobile homescreen.

After setting it to how many days I have left if I live to 82, I just let it count down every day. In the beginning, I saw I had over 15,000 days left, and it felt like I had loads of time. Then a day passed and bit by bit, I saw the minutes and hours going, never to return.

Now, 4 days in, I can't tell you how motivated I feel every time I pick up my phone. It makes me consider how I choose to spend every second of my day, what to focus on, what to appreciate. It really grounds me and keeps me real, not lost in unnecessary 'hyperrealities'.

Can't recommend doing this enough if you really want to attack each day with lazer-like focus!
Now that you've figured out that you are moral, move on to figure out what is the important issue or activity in which to invest that precious time.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Holy SHIT. This is great. I am following this thread journey. Thanks

Simon P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Dec 17, 2021
I like it.

Absolutely! But I thought it would be better to be optimistic in this case. Also, the quality of the time will decrease into the later years, so the days are weighted towards the present.

Simon P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Dec 17, 2021
I did something similar, and that's what I found. Instead I looked at what age your risk of cancer substantially increases, which happens to be age 50, so I set the timer for that instead. It is a little more tangible because the whole point is to utilize your good years, you might live to 82, but are those last 10 years going to be when you are vibrant, able bodied, and having incredible experiences? Maybe, but the probability is that it'll be filled with medical bills, doctor's offices, and sitting at home because you're too frail to do anything else.
I did consider setting it to much earlier, but exactly the point you made about depreciating quality of life has made me more motivated to think long term too and be careful with how I look after myself.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I like to take a yard stick, mark at 80. And look at my 56. And , well than I often imagine, that maybe it could be 100 than 80. LOL.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just an FYI, I believe there are several entrepreneurs who sell versions of the death watch I mentioned in Unscripted . At least, I think I remember seeing them being sold on Instagram.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I understand it serves a purpose but for me not having a timer fuels me more.

If you look at that everyday, by the time you’re 82 you’re going to give yourself a heart attack just because you’ve believed that for that long.

At least that would be my case, so, no death watch for me.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Absolutely! But I thought it would be better to be optimistic in this case. Also, the quality of the time will decrease into the later years, so the days are weighted towards the present.
Your premise is NOT necessarily true. I had serious health problems and family issues when I was young. The doctors said I'd never make it to 30... and sure not to 40. I'm soon going to be 68 and I'm healthier than I've ever been. As long as I am a good girl, I keep the health issues under control. So, I'm determined to be the best girl on the block! Every birthday triggers a serious celebration. Some people lie about their age -- while I brag about mine.

This is the best day of my life! It's the only day that I know I have...

Here's what I learned... I live every day as though it's my last one. That sounds trite, but it's true. Once you accept your mortality, you reorder your priorities. You cut out the trivia.

What is really important to you? Is more stuff worth the time, effort, and work to pay for it? And do you really want to take care of, insure, protect, and dust more stuff?

You stop living for the approval of other people. Who cares what they think? (I always figure that IF they're talking about me, they are giving someone else a break...)

You stop a lot of procrastination. If you only have today, that doesn't leave you a lot of wiggle room. I don't want to die tonight while laying there worrying about the list of items I put off until tomorrow.

And here's the biggie... If you aren't happy today, when are you going to be happy? I used to put that issue off. When _____ happens, I was going to be happy. That's crazy thinking! What's wrong with today? Why NOT enjoy the moment? What's stopping you?

Simon P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Dec 17, 2021
Now that you've figured out that you are moral, move on to figure out what is the important issue or activity in

I like to take a yard stick, mark at 80. And look at my 56. And , well than I often imagine, that maybe it could be 100 than 80. LOL.
You've just got to look at this lady for inspiration :)

Simon P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Dec 17, 2021
Your premise is NOT necessarily true. I had serious health problems and family issues when I was young. The doctors said I'd never make it to 30... and sure not to 40. I'm soon going to be 68 and I'm healthier than I've ever been. As long as I am a good girl, I keep the health issues under control. So, I'm determined to be the best girl on the block! Every birthday triggers a serious celebration. Some people lie about their age -- while I brag about mine.

This is the best day of my life! It's the only day that I know I have...

Here's what I learned... I live every day as though it's my last one. That sounds trite, but it's true. Once you accept your mortality, you reorder your priorities. You cut out the trivia.

What is really important to you? Is more stuff worth the time, effort, and work to pay for it? And do you really want to take care of, insure, protect, and dust more stuff?

You stop living for the approval of other people. Who cares what they think? (I always figure that IF they're talking about me, they are giving someone else a break...)

You stop a lot of procrastination. If you only have today, that doesn't leave you a lot of wiggle room. I don't want to die tonight while laying there worrying about the list of items I put off until tomorrow.

And here's the biggie... If you aren't happy today, when are you going to be happy? I used to put that issue off. When _____ happens, I was going to be happy. That's crazy thinking! What's wrong with today? Why NOT enjoy the moment? What's stopping you?
This is brilliant and inspiring. And you're right - why can't every day be equally fulfilling and enriching, whether you're 35 or 75?

For me, a love of learning and never forgetting to look at the world with wonder and possibility is the key.

I'm going to re-read your post any time I need extra motivation!

suvv

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Dec 12, 2015
Saw this thread a couple days ago.
Set mine to my 25th birthday. Labeled it "LOSER".
A little over 2000 days before I hit it, but I'm confident.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.