The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating a Simple Dashboard Using Google Sheets

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
A few people asked about simple dashboards in Google Sheets. This could equally be done in Excel, but I prefer to use Sheets as it's saved in the cloud and can be shared.

This might not be what you're expecting. I want to see numbers, not fancy graphs (and especially not pie charts!).

This video shows how the data was formatted to be uploaded into this sheet:

What's your takeaways?

Will you do anything different?

View: https://youtu.be/Tvm6n6OfV-A

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
I really like the idea that it basically 'forces' the business to interact daily by inputting the number and types of inquiries they are receiving from their ad spend. I would think it would quickly identify where and how to tweak that ad spend.
Many times a business owner is just out there 'working' in their business, and don't take the time to work on their business. By having your client (business owner) interact daily in the input, it ensures that his participation will help to eliminate the end of month questions such as is this really worth it and am I really getting that ROAS?

Daily client participation is the key to keeping the client.
My key takeaway as a business owner is:
If I'm going to spend the money, I can't expect to just turn over $$$ to an agency and forget about it until the end of the week, or month or whenever.
If I were an agency, I think I'd need to have a contract where it spells out daily client participation to insure that the client remains actively involved.

Busyness can often get in the way of business.
As an agency, I would want to know the pulse of the clients attitude on how the ads are doing. This daily participation through a shared dashboard helps the agency to stave off any possible negativity from the clients that the ads aren't working.

It is as important to the agency to collect data on the clients attitude as it is to collect data on the ads.
If that is done, then the agency will have the client for the long term. There should be little turnover in
clients, because that client response becomes as important as anything the agency is doing.

Tweaking isn't just done to ads.

It also takes some of the pressure off the agency due to the fact that mutual participation on the dashboard is mandatory.

I love the way you can scan down through the data rather than across horizontally. So much quicker!
Interaction and participation from both sides is key. I think developing a shared dashboard is an easy way to gauge a lot more than just ad spend.

I like that it is just numbers. It keeps it simple.

Hope this makes sense.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I really like the idea that it basically 'forces' the business to interact daily by inputting the number and types of inquiries they are receiving from their ad spend. I would think it would quickly identify where and how to tweak that ad spend.
Many times a business owner is just out there 'working' in their business, and don't take the time to work on their business. By having your client (business owner) interact daily in the input, it ensures that his participation will help to eliminate the end of month questions such as is this really worth it and am I really getting that ROAS?

Daily client participation is the key to keeping the client.
My key takeaway as a business owner is:
If I'm going to spend the money, I can't expect to just turn over $$$ to an agency and forget about it until the end of the week, or month or whenever.
If I were an agency, I think I'd need to have a contract where it spells out daily client participation to insure that the client remains actively involved.

Busyness can often get in the way of business.
As an agency, I would want to know the pulse of the clients attitude on how the ads are doing. This daily participation through a shared dashboard helps the agency to stave off any possible negativity from the clients that the ads aren't working.

It is as important to the agency to collect data on the clients attitude as it is to collect data on the ads.
If that is done, then the agency will have the client for the long term. There should be little turnover in
clients, because that client response becomes as important as anything the agency is doing.

Tweaking isn't just done to ads.

It also takes some of the pressure off the agency due to the fact that mutual participation on the dashboard is mandatory.

I love the way you can scan down through the data rather than across horizontally. So much quicker!
Interaction and participation from both sides is key. I think developing a shared dashboard is an easy way to gauge a lot more than just ad spend.

I like that it is just numbers. It keeps it simple.

Hope this makes sense.
Yep, it makes perfect sense and it’s very interesting feedback. You’re more focused on WHAT is being done and WHY, rather than HOW it was done. I like that someone who thinks like you got value from the video, and how I hope the HOW-TO techies will get value too.

In this case it's a Weekly Trading sheet. I think daily trading is too often, and monthly trading isn't often enough. We do have a comms channel open with each client throughout the week and encourage feedback in there. Even a small sniff of insight from the business owner can help us dial things in.

We update the numbers weekly, but the media buyers add in their high level changes daily to the sheet so we can see what was done each day in a week.

When I was in a team spending €120k a day each of the 35 team members had their own Daily Trading sheet that they updated. That data was fed into the master sheet for the managers and business owners to work from.

And yeah... I'm getting to the point where prospects have to agree to update their side of the sheet before they become a client. Delegate, don't abdicate.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Nice work Andy.
What do you use to record your videos? Software / dedicated microphone?
Camtasia and the simple headphone with inbuilt mic that I use to chat to people.

Magnoliya

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 2, 2021
There is one slight disadvantage: large amounts of data are loaded incorrectly, missing formulas and some graphs. Before you start working, give a link with access checks the document thoroughly. If we talk about the creation of tables and their formatting, Quickly create them online, border marking, arrangement of cells, text alignment on the left and right edge, center, vertical, carry, rotate. The functionality is quite diverse, which helps make the created table beautiful, visually informative. All created elements in Google Spreadsheets can be changed, including when working with cells, rows, columns. I would advise you to watch a video on the subject and understand everything in detail.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
There is one slight disadvantage: large amounts of data are loaded incorrectly, missing formulas and some graphs. Before you start working, give a link with access checks the document thoroughly.
Is this feedback on the video in the opening post of this thread?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.