The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Conquering depression

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Day 6/30 review:
  • 6 AM wake up time: Yes
  • Morning cardio: Yes
  • Cold shower: Yes
  • Lifting weights: Yes
  • Wim Hof breathing: Yes
  • No entertainment: Yes
  • Caffeine removal: 7 tsp
  • Nicotine removal: 28 mg

Notes:
Every single day has been getting better and better.
I feel like things are changing in my brain, and running in the morning seems to be a big contributing factor to it.

Every morning is a battle - I don't want to run, but I do it anyway - I win the battle and this sets an amazing tone for the rest of the day.

The only downside to running is that it's antagonistic to my bodybuilding goals: it hinders recovery and decreases my lower body strength over time. After the month is over I will try to find a better alternative for getting this amazing cardio benefit - perhaps a rowing machine at home.

Also, as @S.Y. has advised me, I've reduced the number of habits by 1: the diet.
I've added some carbs in order to start moving some serious weight in the gym. I will drop the carbs in a future experiment to eliminate any systemic inflammation and see how that goes.

Thanks everyone for your amazing support. I'm very lucky to be part of such an amazing community.

Overall rating of the day: 7/10

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Every morning is a battle - I don't want to run, but I do it anyway - I win the battle and this sets an amazing tone for the rest of the day.

That's what this is about. My weak point is my muscular strength (so opposite to you - I wouldn't mind running daily but I need to focus on my upper body). I train calisthenics and it's very hard for me. I suffer a lot during the workout. But I feel F*cking great afterward.

The only downside to running is that it's antagonistic to my bodybuilding goals: it hinders recovery and decreases my lower body strength over time. After the month is over I will try to find a better alternative for getting this amazing cardio benefit - perhaps a rowing machine at home.

Try hill sprints. You'll F*cking hate me while doing them but they're incredibly good as a proper resistance workout. You can go for a jog first to warm up, do the sprints, and then jog back home.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Try hill sprints. You'll F*cking hate me while doing them but they're incredibly good as a proper resistance workout. You can go for a jog first to warm up, do the sprints, and then jog back home.
Thanks for the advice, I think Joe Rogan does this as well. Seems like a very effective way to increase your VO2 max.

Calisthenics are a great way to increasing functional strength and coordination, but if you want to gain raw strength and/or muscle mass, lifting weights is the best tool available. I think it's a good idea to cycle through various ways of training.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Calisthenics are a great way to increasing functional strength and coordination, but if you want to gain raw strength and/or muscle mass, lifting weights is the best tool available. I think it's a good idea to cycle through various ways of training.

I used to do weightlifting many years ago and didn't like how it made me feel. I prefer athletics over raw mass so calisthenics for me is a way to gain all of that (strength, some mass, mobility, etc.).

Brissy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 2, 2016
Had similar struggles and never expected me to suffer from it. Went with the eastern methodologies that helped than chemical balancing. My causes were clear, I was just blind and in denial about it.
  1. It's the mind that makes the body, not the other way around
  2. Food for the mind comes via senses sound, touch, eyes, taste, smell. So fast on these as well meaning no violence in movies, rock music etc. Surround with light colors around, wear light colors as well
  3. If early morning wake up doesn't get natural in 7 days, don't force it on body. There is an imbalance elsewhere.
  4. Environment is the sea from where we absorb the energies. Make sure you live with and surround with pleasant people.
  5. Since the body has memories, include food which your ancestors had.
  6. Based on my experience, Heartfulness meditation via app (Free), listening to Louise Hay on Youtube (Free), some specific ragas makes a difference.
  7. W.r.t food, favor sweetness, i.e taste after digestion (not sugary or sweet in mouth). Grains are considered sweety for example though it doesn't taste so. Cherry + Wild blueberry helps a lot. A little sweetness in tongue is necessary. Don't eat white sugar for instance, but sweet milk or jaggery is good.
  8. There are 4 other bodies outside of physical body. The breathing exercises pranayama/alternate breathing in morning etc helps to balance the mental & energy body. More outward breath compared to inward breath is better, though don't force it. Don't excite it too much as it will fall into trough from peak.
  9. The nervous system and digestion are key elements here. As long as digestion isn't well, it won't work properly. Consume simple food, without to much mixes eg: beef, chicken and fish in same meal.
  10. We are designed to be happy, which is the natural state. Anything otherwise indicates a block or diversion of mental energies. Accupunture helped me initially. Deep sleep is where body & mind fixes it self, so make sure you get this without compromise.
Hope this helps.

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022
I love this forum and the amazing ideas that are being discussed over here. I've learned a lot and got inspired by other's stories of success. I used to post a lot and I was very optimistic and tried to encourage other users when they were posting about struggling in their life.

In the last few months I haven't made any meaningful progress towards achieving my goals, and in the last weeks my mental health went on a downwards spiral, and I'm heading towards a horrible depression (already half way there).

Long story short: I don't sleep well, I've gained 10 pounds, I look like crap, I can't focus, I get distracted, and I live with a horrible sense of dread and lingering feeling that it's "too late" (I'm in my late 20s).

Now it's time to take my own advice and take back control over my F*cking life. I am the only one responsible for my health.

Here is the protocol that I will be following for the next 30 days:
  • 6 AM wake up time
  • cold shower
  • cardio training
  • lifting weights
  • low inflammation diet
  • Wim Hof breathing
  • no worthless internet entertainment to fry up my brain
  • quitting caffeine and nicotine, in order to improve my sleep

At first, this may seem like a list of the regular self-help BS habits that people try for a few days and then give up because it's too hard. But it's not. All of those things are scientifically proven to alter your brain and body physiology for the better. There are observable neurological changes for practicing those things.

It's hard to do all those things for a month, but the alternative is worst. Depression is a special kind of hell that I am not going back to.

I'm making this thread both as a means of being accountable for my actions, track my progress, and hopefully inspire others that are struggling as well.

The life you are living is your own creation. You can choose either heaven or hell, and you vote with your daily actions. Let's begin.

Hello, I see that You are committing Yourself to very good habits, especially having a low inflamation diet and exposing Yourself to the cold, wich have been proven to both increase the quality and the duration of our life.

I would implement another habits above all...

MEDITATION

You can't realize how meditation is going to help with Your life,ultil You do It everyday.

After a while, meditation start giving You orgasms without ejaculating, I know , It sounds crazy , but it really does.

You see, medidating reiforces the neural connections in the brain committed to " feeling good".

By meditating, you'll realize how You don't need anything in Your life besides the present moment.

No more mind wondering, no more negative thoughts, no more anxiety.

If You want to change Your life right now, stop reading this and meditate.

Sit down, close Your eyes, and meditate for 5 minutes.

Let me know how it went!

Cheers

Davide

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
@DavidePaco00 Thanks for the suggestion, meditation is great and it's strongly supported by science. The main thing that I want to get out of it is improving my ability to focus and control my emotions. This is done through strengthening the pre-frontal cortex of the brain, which is what meditation does.

However, I want to finish the 30 days process I've outlined in this thread before adding more habits on my plate. I will keep making experiments to see what's helping me the most.

Thus far, regulating my sleep cycles through waking up early, reducing caffeine/nicotine intake and running in the morning has been nothing short of a miracle. Every single day I've been feeling better and better.

After the month is over, meditation will be the next one to implement, and I think I will pair it with a Wim Hof breathing session, followed by an ice bath.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Day 7/30 review:

• Powerlifting: 70kg / 155lbs bench press

• Caffeine removal: 6 tsp
  • Nicotine removal: 32 mg

Notes:
I've adjusted the protocol: instead of lifting weights every day, I'll be doing powerlifting 3 times a week. I would love to see some strength gains.

Overall rating of the day: 7/10

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Day 8/30 review:
  • 6 AM wake up time: No
  • Morning cardio: No
  • Powerlifting: REST
  • Caffeine removal: 5 tsp

Notes:
I did the stupid mistake of waking up during the night and opening the computer. The blue light fragmented my sleep and I woke up feeling bad, missing the alarm and the morning run.

So the day started at a low 4/10, but it gradually turned better and better as it progressed. I will avoid using electronic devices at night, although it's very tempting to fall asleep listening to some podcast.

Overall I'm feeling great and I can't believe how quickly things have turned around. Looking forward to finishing the month strong and seeing the results at the end.

Overall rating of the day: 6/10

PetitBourgeoisie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 27, 2022
Day 8/30 review:
  • Caffeine removal: 5 tsp

Notes:
I did the stupid mistake of waking up during the night and opening the computer. The blue light fragmented my sleep and I woke up feeling bad, missing the alarm and the morning run.

So the day started at a low 4/10, but it gradually turned better and better as it progressed. I will avoid using electronic devices at night, although it's very tempting to fall asleep listening to some podcast.

Overall I'm feeling great and I can't believe how quickly things have turned around. Looking forward to finishing the month strong and seeing the results at the end.

Much appreciation for this thread, as a man on self-improvement, myself, it's an inspirational thing to see such progress and dedication thereto. Keep up the good work.
After the month is over, meditation will be the next one to implement, and I think I will pair it with a Wim Hof breathing session, followed by an ice bath.
Had to look up Wim Hof exercises, fascinating stuff, may try this myself.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Much appreciation for this thread, as a man on self-improvement, myself, it's an inspirational thing to see such progress and dedication thereto. Keep up the good work.
Thank you, it's been an amazing week thus far, I'm already feeling way better than when I started this thread. It's remarkable what a healthy schedule can do for yourself.

Had to look up Wim Hof exercises, fascinating stuff, may try this myself.
They are absolutely incredible, and the best part about this exercise is that it works instantly (unlike other forms of meditation that require hundreds of hours to have an effect).

But just a fair warning: do not do this while being in water, because you can blackout at any time and drown. Many people have died like this.
I've experienced a partial blackout the first time I've ever tried this, fell down and hit my head against the hard floor. :rofl:
I think it's hilarious when I look back at it, but I know it could have been way worst. So make sure you're in a safe environment when practicing this.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Day 9/30 review:
  • Powerlifting: 72kg / 160lbs bench press
  • Caffeine removal: 4 tsp + one extra coffee
  • Nicotine removal: off the charts

Notes:
Today was pretty good.
The day started and ended badly, but was overall ok.

Today I just thought about how important consistency is. Even the smallest of improvements, if done on a continual basis, yield dramatic results over time.

Habits are very powerful. We truly are what we regularly do.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I love this forum and the amazing ideas that are being discussed over here. I've learned a lot and got inspired by other's stories of success. I used to post a lot and I was very optimistic and tried to encourage other users when they were posting about struggling in their life.

In the last few months I haven't made any meaningful progress towards achieving my goals, and in the last weeks my mental health went on a downwards spiral, and I'm heading towards a horrible depression (already half way there).

Long story short: I don't sleep well, I've gained 10 pounds, I look like crap, I can't focus, I get distracted, and I live with a horrible sense of dread and lingering feeling that it's "too late" (I'm in my late 20s).

Now it's time to take my own advice and take back control over my F*cking life. I am the only one responsible for my health.

• 6 AM wake up time
  • running in the morning
  • cold shower
  • Wim Hof breathing
  • powerlifting 3 times / week

At first, this may seem like a list of the regular self-help BS habits that people try for a few days and then give up because it's too hard. But it's not. All of those things are scientifically proven to alter your brain and body physiology for the better. There are observable neurological changes for practicing those things.

It's hard to do all those things for a month, but the alternative is worst. Depression is a special kind of hell that I am not going back to.

I'm making this thread both as a means of being accountable for my actions, track my progress, and hopefully inspire others that are struggling as well.

The life you are living is your own creation. You can choose either heaven or hell, and you vote with your daily actions. Let's begin.
Good to see you're taking action my friend. You're not just talking about it like most but you're creating momentum in your life. Keep it up.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Day 10/30 review:

After 9 days of linear improvement, today has been the first bad day since I've started this challenge.

Setbacks are expected, failure does happen. But the question is how quickly can you get back on the path? And the answer is right away. Tomorrow is going to be a great day.

Overall rating of the day: 3/10

Happyheart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Dec 11, 2020
Hey man,

For the longest time I had no clue whether my depression was due to my own laziness, poor lifestyle, or if it really was related to some physiological reasons.

I honestly try my best to work towards my goals. I schedule plenty of hobbies that I love, etc., but I feel like crap most of the time still. I work out, kick box, go to improv classes, I go to toastmasters, I’m trying to find a sales job right now as a stepping stone to my “fast lane” career, yet I still feel like shit all the time.

Most days I try to stay disciplined and push through the suck, but some days it seems like an insurmountable wall. Like it feels physically excruciating to do anything productive.

I’m only now realising that depression causes low energy because it changes your neurotransmitter levels(norepinephrine, dopamine, serotonin, etc.

So that got me thinking: if depression steals your energy/focus by impacting neurotransmitter levels, maybe if I take the right meds I can get them back to a normal, functional level.

I am considering taking therapy & going to a psychiatrist simultaneously to tackle the psychological & physiological components of depression.

Just an idea… maybe mental health treatment can help you too. Best of luck.
Have you ruled out any physical causes? Your thyroid and testosteron levels are important. Also look into vitamin B12. This should be tested in any person with mental or neurological disease, but is often forgotten and it will not reliably show up in all tests.

To be safe you can supplement high dose B12 (>= 1000 micrograms) in addition to your daily vitamins. It is also important to get enough natural light, especially during the dark months.

As for the time frame, if you start to have better days, you will think you are over the hill, but you have to expect bad and very bad days in between.
The journey back from deep depression typically takes 2-3 months. It takes some time for the brain to get „in the mood“ again because of biochemisry, rewiring and such.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Day 11/30 review:
  • Caffeine removal: 4 tsp + a big tea
  • Nicotine removal: off the charts

Notes:
I'm back on track!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Day 12/30 review:
  • Wim Hof breathing: No
  • No entertainment: No
  • Caffeine removal: 3 cups
  • Nicotine removal: ~25mg

Notes:
Today I was gone for most of the day. I socialized quite a lot, and it really helped.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
Cold turkey the nicotine. Enough. Quit dicking around man, that one is the biggest ticket item on your list.

You want real change, or do you want marginal benefit mental masturbation?

I was a smoker for 15 some odd years. I cannot tell you how much better I perform after quitting. I was living with a low-level angst, anger, depression, headaches, and overall neurotic behavior. This only became apparent after I quit.

The first couple days are brutal - because you'll become aware of just how much your habitual nicotine intake was covering for your neurotic patterns. You'll be angry, highly irritable, and overall feeling like shit. Soldier through it.

You'll quickly learn to do something with yourself instead of masking whatever is going on with a vape/cigarette hit.

I support your endeavor and want the best for you. No more of this nicotine microgram adjustments on your daily reports - take the plunge like a man and make it 0. Be strong for a few days and you'll come out on top a champion.

Chop chop.

DougRMR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 19, 2019

• 6 AM wake up time
  • running in the morning
  • cold shower
  • Wim Hof breathing
  • powerlifting 3 times / week

Hey man! Wanted to reach out because this year back in March I went through some very rough times. Physical + mental burnout mixed with getting sick and an intense depression that came afterwards. My nerves also got f*cked and my anxiety came full blast. For a few days I had a hopelessness that really made me question what the meaning of all this was. It was tough, to say the least.

However, I'm MUUUUCH better and I really came out the other side with A LOT of empathy for mental health. You're doing the right thing by listening to the warnings your body gives you. My body gave me way too many for me to count (all the way back since 2019) and I ignored most of them until they blew up in my face. I didn't realize, however, how much it would affect me. If I had known, I would've taken action since day 1. Wim Hof Method is amazing and combining breathing methods with a cold shower afterwards made me cry from happiness the first time I did it. It reminded me what it was like to feel joyful. So I promise, it gets better. Life and God will always give you hope when you least expect it and even more-so if you're actively seeking it, which I see you are.

I'm still coming out the other side and some days are easier than others but consistent action is key. Right now, my biggest problems are habits and getting up early. But you got this, man.

Hope you're doing good and if you ever need to talk to someone, you can always shoot me a DM.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Cold turkey the nicotine. Enough. Quit dicking around man, that one is the biggest ticket item on your list.

You want real change, or do you want marginal benefit mental masturbation?

I was a smoker for 15 some odd years. I cannot tell you how much better I perform after quitting. I was living with a low-level angst, anger, depression, headaches, and overall neurotic behavior. This only became apparent after I quit.

The first couple days are brutal - because you'll become aware of just how much your habitual nicotine intake was covering for your neurotic patterns. You'll be angry, highly irritable, and overall feeling like shit. Soldier through it.

You'll quickly learn to do something with yourself instead of masking whatever is going on with a vape/cigarette hit.

I support your endeavor and want the best for you. No more of this nicotine microgram adjustments on your daily reports - take the plunge like a man and make it 0. Be strong for a few days and you'll come out on top a champion.

Chop chop.
Thanks for the advice.
Interestingly enough, this was exactly what I was thinking yesterday when I was reading about nicotine side effects on health. I got very angry and my first instinct was to throw it all away and go cold turkey.

But then I remembered that I'm also trying to quit caffeine and start several habits which are very difficult. So I've decided to take it one step at a time and taper off using nicotine gum. By the end of the month I should be at 0.

I'm not sure if nicotine has affected my life in the way you described it, but as you've said, you can only see the effects after you quit.

The only reasons I want to quit are:
1. I don't want to be addicted to anything.
2. Cardiovascular health concerns - I don't need anything of this sort.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Wim Hof Method is amazing and combining breathing methods with a cold shower afterwards made me cry from happiness the first time I did it.
I still experience this during the breath hold. I get hit with a massive wave of gratitude. It makes me realize how wonderful things are, and how blind I was to this fact.

After the cold shower I feel amazing. I'm glad that winter is coming, because the water will get very cold. :smile:

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Day 13/30 review:

Notes:
Inspired by @AceVentures post, I decided to quit nicotine cold turkey.
I won't reduce my coffee intake until I'm completely cleared of nicotine, which might take several weeks.

Tomorrow will be the first day nicotine free. It will be very difficult.

Overall rating of the day: 5/10

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Day 14/30 review:
  • Powerlifting: Bench press 70kg / 155 lbs

Notes:
Getting back on track.

DougRMR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 19, 2019
Day 14/30 review:
  • Powerlifting: Bench press 70kg / 155 lbs

Notes:
Getting back on track.

Question, when you put 'No' in 'No entertainment' is it that you watched entertainment or that you didn't?

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Question, when you put 'No' in 'No entertainment' is it that you watched entertainment or that you didn't?
It means that I've failed to avoid it.

I will use better wording to make it less ambiguous.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Day 15/30 review:
  • Avoiding entertainment: Yes
  • Powerlifting: Rest

Notes:
Starting from tomorrow I will taper off coffee once again.
The sleep that I was getting was amazing and it made me feel calm and restored for the entirety of the day.

joel.nilsson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Feb 4, 2022
Sweden
Day 15/30 review:
  • Avoiding entertainment: Yes
  • Powerlifting: Rest

Notes:
Starting from tomorrow I will taper off coffee once again.
The sleep that I was getting was amazing and it made me feel calm and restored for the entirety of the day.

Love your progress!

Just wanted to recommend you read a bit about it and maybe try to use a bit of Tyrosine when you feel that you have a hard time with your motivation

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.